Official Star Wars Episode VII SPOILER Thread

Seonid

Apparently, I have become the official thread starter of all things episode VII. Not sure how that happened, but I can't say I'm disappointed. :P

So I have had a request to create a thread specifically for Star Wars Spoilers. So if you have a spoiler, it goes here. And nowhere else.

The rest of you may spoil away now. I'll be waiting until Tuesday to see it.

Spoiler haters, you have been warned!

Let the spoiling commence!

Warning for people: the first spoiler is related to an audience-thing (and is potentially triggering, which is why I'm putting it in separate spoilers). My general, spoiler-free opinion, though, is that it was a fun movie.

The audience sucked though. What kind of an cremhole goes to a movie cinema, kicks the person sitting in front of them, watches cat videos, talks about spoilers they read online, and then starts loudly asking 'What should we do if a guy comes in here with a gun?'

But... the movie. I liked it, I guess. It was a fun way to spend two hours. I have complaints about it, but I'm not sure how much of them are valid complaints and how much are just me nitpicking; I didn't like the new effect along light saber blades, for instance; they look a lot less like stable beams than they did in the old trilogy, which was odd. 

I like Rey. I thought she was a little abrasive at first, like the crew was going out of their way to make a 'Strong Female Character' (particularly the hand-holding thing)... but upon reflection, it makes sense given her background as an abandoned kid. She has Issues; and I'm kind of interested that they seem to be setting Han/Leia/Luke as a valid substitiute/adoptive family for her. It's a good way to keep the family-focus of the franchise, while adapting it for modern society.

Similarly, Finn. I really liked his arc, moving from (reasonably) terrified to doing something heroic.

Honestly, my main complains - the opens I think are valid complaints- come down to this: the film spends too long imitating A New Hope, and for a plot shrouded in so much mystery, I was expecting... more. There weren't any BIG surprises, no unexpected revelations. Han's death scene was surprising, sure... but it was shocking because THEY KILLED HAN SOLO, not because no one saw that coming. Similarly, I have to agree with Han's comments about the Starkiller; it's just a bigger Death Star. That's a little unimpressive, particularly since the idea of it as a mobile base/home world for the First order as well as a weapon is more interesting.

Still, overall, I had fun. I might go see it again, if only to come up with more concrete analysis of it. It was certanly better than Abrams Star Trek films, though it's hard to see how ti could have possibly been worse...

As usual, I deliberately spoiled myself before watching the movie, and I'm glad I did. I could just imagine how disturbing Han Solo's death scene would have been for me had I not been prepared for it. At least I knew Harrison Ford wanted his character to die. Also, I appreciate knowing exactly what was in Jacen-wannabe/Kylo/Ben's mind as he tried to deceive his father (and as the filmmakers tried to deceive the audience) into thinking he was having a change of heart.

I really hope Kylo redeems himself in Episode VIII. His temper tantrums were a little embarrassing to watch, and the film generally made him look a bit incompetent. He's definitely no match for Jacen Solo of the Expanded Universe, who needed no frickin crossguard on his lightsaber.

Oh, and I now have a crush on Daisy Ridley. Rey is so pretty and so badass at the same time. :wub: 

Edited by skaa

As usual, I deliberately spoiled myself before watching the movie, and I'm glad I did. I could just imagine how disturbing Han Solo's death scene would have been for me had I not been prepared for it. At least I knew Harrison Ford wanted his character to die. Also, I appreciate knowing exactly what was in Jacen-wannabe/Kylo/Ben's mind as he tried to deceive his father (and as the filmmakers tried to deceive the audience) into thinking he was having a change of heart.

I really hope Kylo redeems himself in Episode VIII. His temper tantrums were a little embarrassing to watch, and the film generally made him look a bit incompetent. He's definitely no match for Jacen Solo of the Expanded Universe, who needed no frickin crossguard on his lightsaber.

Oh, and I now have a crush on Daisy Ridley. Rey is so cute and so badass at the same time.

Agreed. I just came home from the theatre, and...wow. I spoiled myself just before going. Even then, I figured that Kylo was actually going to go with Han, and then kill him on the Falcon, for a more symbolic end. But this was good. As you say, it feels sort of better to know what Kylo really meant during his dialogue in that scene.

Minor nitpick: They aren't crossguards. They are called "quillions," and are for venting raw energy from an imperfectly built lightsaber. Anyway, I agree. The film almost made him look like a slightly more buffed general from the classic trilogy. Constantly getting abused by the real boss, Snoke. We know that he's returning to Snoke for "the final piece of his training," or whatever. My suspicion is that we'll see quite a bit more of the Knights of Ren and Captain Phasma (provided she wasn't eaten by a Dianoga just now :P) in Ep. 8.

Same. The thing I like about Rey is that the casters picked an actress who wasn't absolutely perfect. I don't like it when actors in movies are made out to look like gods and goddesses. It just looks fake, and very inconsistent with most rags-to-riches plots.

Just got back from it a couple hours ago. I had successfully avoided spoilers (which is rare for me) and I really enjoyed the movie. The Han Solo twist was shocking because of the character, but it was predictable at the same time. Out of the new characters, Rey was my favorite, and I have a huge crush on Daisy Ridley now! Lol i was hoping for more Poe Dameron, since I enjoyed him more than Finn, but maybe in the next film we will get to see more of him. I thought Kylo Ren was a really good villian, glad to see that we will get more of him in the upcoming movies. I loved the last scene with Luke, it gave me all sorts of feels seeing him standing there in the Jedi robes, looking like a badass. Can't wait to see him join the fold in the next movie.Definitely going to go see this movie again, potentially this weekend (if I can find someone to go with this time lol)

Edited by azninvasion99

So apparently the Stormtrooper that Rey Jedi mind tricked is Daniel Craig, awesome.

I really enjoyed the Kylo-Ren/Luke inverse parallels.I especially enjoyed the parallels between the Han/Kylo-Ren scene with the Vader/Luke scenes on Cloud City and the Death Star. The movie made a lot of good parallels to the original trilogy with force-feeding it to the viewer in the way I feared they would. Overall well done.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Wow, just got back from seeing it and ... wooowww

It's everything I hoped would happen but nothing like I expected, either. Do I love it or do I hate it?

Chewie is so alone now. I don't know how I'm gonna handle that later. And on a side note... did that orange thingy lady (I didn't catch her name) say that he was her boyfriend?

Either way, getting out made me so much more excited about the Star Wars universe than I was going in. If I had money, I'd be planning a costume or two right now... or at least doing it realistically. :D

I gotta say

and I really hate doing so with as big a fan I am that I was really underwhelmed by it :( I didn't like Finn at all! He was like Jar Jar for me. All that corny humor took me out of it esp that snap snap snap " Your not in charge here Phasma I am!" Omg why??!! Lol. They better have some good explanation in 8 on how Rey went from 0 to 10 with the Force cause that was just crazy. Man I hate feeling like this! I will say I liked it better then Ep 1&2 for sure though so it's not all bad.

I gotta say

and I really hate doing so with as big a fan I am that I was really underwhelmed by it :( I didn't like Finn at all! He was like Jar Jar for me. All that corny humor took me out of it esp that snap snap snap " Your not in charge here Phasma I am!" Omg why??!! Lol. They better have some good explanation in 8 on how Rey went from 0 to 10 with the Force cause that was just crazy. Man I hate feeling like this! I will say I liked it better then Ep 1&2 for sure though so it's not all bad.

Force Awakens spoilers:

The filmmakers are trying to draw a picture of the characters, and the vibe I get from Finn is very idealistic, but hot-headed and not very pragmatic.

Also, about Rey. A theory I saw Reddit says that she was one of the Jedi trainees before, and the interrogation by Kylo Ren lifted some sort of mental block on her.

Chewie is so alone now. I don't know how I'm gonna handle that later. And on a side note... did that orange thingy lady (I didn't catch her name) say that he was her boyfriend?

Well, she said it, but I got the impression that it was kind of a joke comment and not to be taken seriously.

Personally, I'm curious about how she got Anakin's lightsaber. Last we knew, it fell from Cloud City, and I kinda assumed that it... you know... kept falling and eventually broke somewhere. Kinda wonder if that's going to be addressed in future films, or the anthology side-films, or what...

Pretty major spoiler:

I'm just gonna say, that if Ren was so bad that he killed his own father, how bad is the Supreme Leader? I'm afraid to ask.

I'm kinda curious about Snoke. The Empire and the First Order are always "human dominated", but -unless the CGI was off- Snoke is an alien, right? So... how the heck did he become the Supreme Leader?

I didn't think Ren was evil in traditional Star Wars sense, but just suffered from some mental illness

I've been thinking that myself. I know that there are some people who think that Anakin came across as unhinged during Episodes II and III, and Han's line of "There's too much Vader in him" makes me wonder if maybe the Skywalker line does have some proclivity towards mental illness. Some of Ren's actions, and his actors delivery of them, absolutely struck me as being a bit odd in some sense, so...

I saw the movie yesterday and I liked it a lot :) some reactions below

1. Many people say they weren't that impressed by Hans death, but for me it was a shock. KKylo I hope you'll pay for it! That scene for me was full of emotions like it should be, hope mixed with worry that he may attack him... and then the sun disappears from Rens face and I just knew... :(

2. I really liked what they did with the trailers. Showing us Finn with the lightsaber all the time, only to reveal that Rey is the force sensitive one.

3. I loved Rey <3 and Poe was fun too :)

4. I'm surprised how much trouble Kaylo had while fighting Finn, sure he was injured, but a) he could just use the force on Finn B) Finn had 0 experience with the lightsaber and using such a weapon is not something easy to do when youre again someone who knows what he's doing.

5. I had this thought that if Obi-Wan from ep.3 fought Kaylo he would defeat him blindfolded while holding his lightsaber in his left hand. But that's ok, all that saber techniques and training is lost now, they have noone to learn from.

6. Who was that old man at the beginning that had the map? Was he an old Jedi maybe?

7. I hoped to see more Luke... or even see him at all, because that last scene left me wanting more :P

8. During the last scene, when Rey was climbing the hill I don't know why but I expected Captain Jack Sparrow to show up :P

5. I had this thought that if Obi-Wan from ep.3 fought Kaylo he would defeat him blindfolded while holding his lightsaber in his left hand. But that's ok, all that saber techniques and training is lost now, they have noone to learn from.

I thought pretty much the same thing during the fights. The prequels showed that the old Jedi fighting was very... acrobatic, even without going into the EU with all it's different styles-of-combat and everything. Personally, I kinda love that they've stripped that down- of course the fights are going to be (relatively) simple and clunky. Not only did Obi-Wan not finish teaching Luke how to use a saber - the blast helmet thing seemed a lot like the training the younglings did in EPisode II- Luke had to basically figure everything out himself, and the only exposure he had to duels was pretty simple, straightforward "banging two swords against one another". 

It makes so much sense that the saber combat of this new era would be so minimal- no one really knows what they're doing!

(Actually, that might be why Ren used the force to stop the blaster bolt. I don't remember if Luke ever did it in RotJ, but he wasn't great at it in ANH. Caught off-guard, Ren probably defaulted to an immediate reaction... and where the PT Jedi would have "deflect" as their immediate response, his is using the force.)

Edited by Quiver

Alright so I ranted about the new episode in a comment section on Youtube and I thought I'd copy paste it over here to see if anyone has any opinions on my opinions. Opinionception.

My thoughts on Star Wars Episode 7

Overall the movie was great, although it had a few flaws. They set up no (Sorry 1 from outside the bar) new scenes. They went from (essentially) Tatooine to the Mos Eisley bar to the half Deathstar half Hoth planet. Some people say "Oh it was so good they went back and remade number 4." No I wanted a new movie not number 4 again this was episode 7, not 4.5.

Another thing what was up with that random Stormtrooper with the Energy Hammer from Halo? I thought all the jedi were supposed to be dead or missing? Why on earth would a random storm trooper just be carrying one of those things?  

Another flaw was Kylo Ren in general. First of all he looks nothing like Han and Leia's son. He's not even white for god's sake. Second, he was just another repeat of Anakin, one of the main reasons that 1, and 2 were not as amazing. He was just a super whiny annoying weak boy. The movie would've been so much better if he never took off the mask or EVEN BETTER waited until he met his dad on the bridge to take off the mask.

The last flaw was the "2012" aspect of the movie. There were too many "coincidental" scenes like the magical rift created between Rey and Kylo Ren during their fight. Or the way the planet blew up into a sun AS they JUST left. Which by the way was also very convenient timing on finding Rey randomly in the woods. They had no idea where she was until immediately after the fight where spaceships just dropped in out of nowhere. Or the fact that those monster things decided to eat EVERYONE ELSE in the ship IMMEDIATELY EXCEPT for Fin. Fin was decidedly dragged around for no reason whatsoever other than to add suspense.  Other than these few minor flaws the movie overall visually was great.

The plot line was (done before) they really didn't need to remake the death star, there are other ways to do a plot line. You don't need giant things to blow up. But other than that the plot line was great. I loved the characters, Poe, Rey, Fin, Han, Chewy (Except Kylo Ren who I expect to be much better in the next episodes) and felt they did a great job of setting up the story not only for this episode but for later episodes. I wish they had not portrayed Phasma, Leia, and Kylo Ren the way they did. Those characters were done wrong in my opinion.

Edited by Hellscythe

I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

Major spoilers:

One of my friends asked me if I thought they were going to do a Vader thing with Ren, and bring him back to the light. I had to think about that, but then it occurred to me that they can't. Han is dead. Killed by Ren. His own son. Now, not only is Han a fan-favorite, so killing him and then redeeming his killer would be an absolute disservice to the fans, but plot-wise, you don't just get to return to the light after killing your own father. You just don't. Especially when that person is Han.

In that sense, I love Han's death. I hate that he's dead, but I love how he died, because it's got so much potential to be a catalyst for the other two movies. You've got Ren who now can't go back to the light. There's no hope for him there, so he has to embrace the Dark Side completely. You've got Leia who's going to have this motherly desire to still save her son, but know that there's no saving him. And then Rey, Finn, and Chewie who watched him kill Han. They are all going to want a piece of him (which they've kind of already had, but he's still alive, so it's not enough).

I find Ren absolutely fascinating. So much more so than Anakin. I've never read the books in the EU, so I have no knowledge of Jacen Solo beyond what I've read briefly read in wikis, but I thought Ren was a very human villain, which is very different from Vader, who seemed more machine than human in 4 and 5. Ren's got issues, but he's fairly competent, until his temper gets the best of him, and he throws a tantrum. And I loved that, because it added more to his character. He never learned how to handle his emotions. How to vent them in responsible ways, so he defaults to taking out his lightsaber and beating everything around him into scrap. Which is different than Anakin's "I'm going to whine about everything and be super angsty and annoying." He's going to need to learn to control that in order to make any progress into the Dark Side, and I'm very interested in watching that happen.

The last flaw was the "2012" aspect of the movie. There were too many "coincidental" scenes like the magical rift created between Rey and Kylo Ren during their fight. Or the way the planet blew up into a sun AS they JUST left. Which by the way was also very convenient timing on finding Rey randomly in the woods. They had no idea where she was until immediately after the fight where spaceships just dropped in out of nowhere. Or the fact that those monster things decided to eat EVERYONE ELSE in the ship IMMEDIATELY EXCEPT for Fin. Fin was decidedly dragged around for no reason whatsoever other than to add suspense.  Other than these few minor flaws the movie overall visually was great.

Funny that you mention those coincidences but miss the biggest one, in my opinion. R2D2. He's on low power mode. Exposition that bashes the audience over the head tells you that (Really, wouldn't BB-8 know about R2D2? He's been to the resistance base before. This was clearly done to introduce R2D2 for nostalgic purposes and that's all. He's in low power mode. Done). He put himself into that mode after Luke left. Luke's been gone for probably 10 years. And they don't think R2 will come out of low power until Luke is back. But then out of the blue, right when he's needed the most because they can't put the rest of the map together to find Luke, R2 just turns himself back on, pulls up the map, and gives them what they need? This doesn't even make sense. Why did he turn himself back on? What triggered that?

It's totally a deus ex machina. I don't normally notice those, because there's usually some kind of a reason or set-up or something to explain most deus ex machinas even if they're a little far-fetched (I'm able to suspend my disbelief for a lot of things when it comes to movies), but this was too much. You don't bash the audience over the head with exposition like that and then just take it away when it suits you for the plot. That's nonsensical.

That said, it could work if Rey is Luke's daughter. R2 turned on right after Rey got to the base, so maybe R2 sense a piece of Luke there and turned on. Maybe. Still makes me wonder why Han and/or Leia never seemed to know anything about a daughter of Luke's that went missing, if she is. Wouldn't they be concerned for their niece?

Edited by little wilson

Funny that you mention those coincidences but miss the biggest one, in my opinion. R2D2. He's on low power mode. Exposition that bashes the audience over the head tells you that (Really, wouldn't BB-8 know about R2D2? He's been to the resistance base before. This was clearly done to introduce R2D2 for nostalgic purposes and that's all. He's in low power mode. Done). He put himself into that mode after Luke left. Luke's been gone for probably 10 years. And they don't think R2 will come out of low power until Luke is back. But then out of the blue, right when he's needed the most because they can't put the rest of the map together to find Luke, R2 just turns himself back on, pulls up the map, and gives them what they need? This doesn't even make sense. Why did he turn himself back on? What triggered that?

It's totally a deus ex machina. I don't normally notice those, because there's usually some kind of a reason or set-up or something to explain most deus ex machinas even if they're a little far-fetched (I'm able to suspend my disbelief for a lot of things when it comes to movies), but this was too much. You don't bash the audience over the head with exposition like that and then just take it away when it suits you for the plot. That's nonsensical.

That said, it could work if Rey is Luke's daughter. R2 turned on right after Rey got to the base, so maybe R2 sense a piece of Luke there and turned on. Maybe. Still makes me wonder why Han and/or Leia never seemed to know anything about a daughter of Luke's that went missing, if she is. Wouldn't they be concerned for their niece?

Well, since Luke and R2 are really close, I figured that R2 always had the map, but chose not to give them the map at first because he didn't want them to disturb Luke. He wanted to let Luke have time to heal after Ren turned to the dark side. But he was always watching and listening to what's going on. So when Luke is really, truly needed - when there's someone he needs to train (Rey) - R2 gave them the map.