Vin(Diesel)

Who do you think might become the third bondsmith? 

This topic has probably been explored on this forum, but I can't find it, so it's probably time for another post. 

Also, do we know for a fact that the third bondsmith spren is the Nightwatcher?

My guesses, such as they are, are Adolin, Hesina, or Dabbid. 

Edited by Vin(Diesel)

(now that Rlain is out of the running...)

Rock. Fits the character nicely I think, and the Horneaters as the Guardians of Cultivation's Shardpool gives him a relatively direct connection to her side of things. 

I dont think it will happen until the back 5 though, because Bondsmiths swearing Ideals will be the only time that Ishar will be sane enough to explain his plan, and I expect resetting the Oathpact to be something that we wont delve into until during the Herald Flashback books. 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

(now that Rlain is out of the running...)

I’m so frustrated by this, for the record, I really wanted him as a BondSmith. 
Having said that, I think a singer would make a good BondSmith, someone who swears to bring humans and singers together. But I don’t have a specific one in mind. 

Edited by Letryx13
Misspelling

19 minutes ago, Letryx13 said:

I’m so frustrated by this, for the record, I really wanted him as a BondSmith. 
Having said that, I think a singer would make a good BondSmith, some who swears to bring humans and singers together. But I don’t have a specific one in kind. 

Honestly we just need more singers in the cast overall, for options and perspective.  Venli's direction should give us that opportunity though

23 minutes ago, #1_Taln_Fan said:

I do like the idea of Rock, but I’m not entirely able to envision him with the Nightwatcher. I do feel like a singer would be great.

Rock would unite them. With stew.

I suspected before RoW that the Listeners that fled into the chasms survived. And I kept picturing that the way they were going to start things off with the humans this time would be Rlain introducing Bridge Four to them, and a friendly cooking competition between Rock and a Listener chef.

30 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Honestly we just need more singers in the cast overall, for options and perspective.  Venli's direction should give us that opportunity though

Yeah, especially if we won’t get another bondsmith until back 5, we’ll have plenty of time to introduce new listener options.

5 hours ago, Quantus said:

I dont think it will happen until the back 5 though, because Bondsmiths swearing Ideals will be the only time that Ishar will be sane enough to explain his plan, and I expect resetting the Oathpact to be something that we wont delve into until during the Herald Flashback books. 

Not a Bondsmith, but any Radiant swearing an Ideal would make him sane. That's part of the reason Szeth is going on the mission. His presence in Shinovar guarantees that an oath will be accepted if the overall mission succeeds because he will cleanse the Shin leadership. 

15 minutes ago, Zapata said:

Not a Bondsmith, but any Radiant swearing an Ideal would make him sane. That's part of the reason Szeth is going on the mission. His presence in Shinovar guarantees that an oath will be accepted if the overall mission succeeds because he will cleanse the Shin leadership. 

Entirely possible, but Ishar said Bondsmith Oaths specifically, not because of proximity (it was Navani way off in the Tower) but because he shares a Connection with the other Bondsmiths.

20 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Entirely possible, but Ishar said Bondsmith Oaths specifically, not because of proximity (it was Navani way off in the Tower) but because he shares a Connection with the other Bondsmiths.

did he really? I cannot find any mention of bondsmith oaths being important, just radiant oaths. Although I do not have access to my copy of RoW rn, so I cannot look for the quote itself.

22 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Just now, Zapata said:

did he really? I cannot find any mention of bondsmith oaths being important, just radiant oaths. Although I do not have access to my copy of RoW rn, so I cannot look for the quote itself.

Any Radiant oath would work if they are near him, but a Bondsmiths would work anywhere

12 minutes ago, Zapata said:

11 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Any Radiant oath would work if they are near him, but a Bondsmiths would work anywhere

Ah, you're right, he said both:

"I can see clearly.  I do not know why.  Has a Bondsmith been sworn? We have a Connection, all of us.... Nevertheless, I feel my sanity slipping.  my mind is broken and I do not know if it can be healed. Perhaps you can restore me for a short time after an Ideal is spoken near me.  Everyone sees a little more clearly when a Radiant touches the Spiritual Realm."

17 minutes ago, Hazy said:

It would be definitely problematic but I don't see why she couldn't form a radiant bond.  

Technically she Can, or else they wouldn't have banned it.  I believe the danger they fear is that attempting a Nahel bond would combine Spren and Dawnshard in powerful and entirely unexpected ways, especially with a Godspren.  

Edited by Quantus

51 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Ah, you're right, he said both:

"I can see clearly.  I do not know why.  Has a Bondsmith been sworn? We have a Connection, all of us.... Nevertheless, I feel my sanity slipping.  my mind is broken and I do not know if it can be healed. Perhaps you can restore me for a short time after an Ideal is spoken near me.  Everyone sees a little more clearly when a Radiant touches the Spiritual Realm."

Do Radiants only touch the spiritual realm when they swear an Ideal?

25 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

Do Radiants only touch the spiritual realm when they swear an Ideal?

Not "only" certainly, since various Powers access the Spiritual Realm to function.  But there are some Unique effects that happen with the Bond gets Strengthened by a new Ideal being sworn.  All I can assume is that those events touch on a different part/aspect/frequency of the Spiritual than say Dalinar's Perpendicularity trick that didnt have the same effect.  

45 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Not "only" certainly, since various Powers access the Spiritual Realm to function.  But there are some Unique effects that happen with the Bond gets Strengthened by a new Ideal being sworn.  All I can assume is that those events touch on a different part/aspect/frequency of the Spiritual than say Dalinar's Perpendicularity trick that didnt have the same effect.  

The way I see it, Dalinar's Perpendicularity allows travel between the Physical Realm and Shadesmar, as well as pulls Honor's Investiture from the Spiritual Realm. Swearing an Ideal touches the part of the Spiritual Realm that (Mistborn), 

Spoiler

allomantic gold and malatium

as well as Renarin's Moash illusion thing, touch. 

The first Bondsmith helped unite people, the second helped unite people and spren, the third could be humans and singers. If Raboniel was alive...Rlain is now taken, and Taravangian is no longer an option. Gawx or Fen could be the next Bondsmiths, though going with the prev idea, perhaps Leshwi? It very well could be Rysn, another combination of Surgebinding and Dawnshard, which is what destroyed Ashyn. It would make for an interesting back-5. Or hell, could be Ishar again or one of the other Heralds, probably but not necessarily excluding Taln and Ash (though he is Prime Beef for Stonewards and I like the Dustbringer Ash theory), the Heralds are major religious figures and could promote unity across most of Roshar.

So my candidates are: Rysn, Fen, Gawx, Ishar, Leshwi- oh! Maybe El?! He does like humanity. 

Edited by Honorless

It actually came up in a different thread so I’ll just quote my theory.

On 2021-11-11 at 9:56 PM, Blackwarder said:

Airsick lowlanders, you are all clearly mistaken.

If Lirin is going to bond any spern it will be the Nightwatcher.

And he is going to bond her in the next book (if he ever going to bond a spern).

“Don’t play the sixth fool, Father,” Kaladin said. “You can’t let them take you after this.”
“I can and will!” Lirin shouted, standing up. “Because I will take responsibility for what I’ve done! I will work within whatever confines I must in order to protect people! I have taken oaths not to harm!”

Excerpt From
Rhythm of War
Brandon Sanderson
https://books.apple.com/us/book/rhythm-of-war/id1489970175
This material may be protected by copyright.

Bondsmith aren’t as malleable as other radiant, they have a strong moral compass that help them set a path to others, be it Dalinar as a warleader and politician or Navani with her pursuit of technology and the betterment of mankind ( and by the end of RoW sprenkind when I come to think about it), the relationship between a godspren and its Bondsmith requires a very strong will to succeed.

Now, do we know someone who’s interested in healing, have a very strong will and a moral compass you can set Roshars’ magnetic north with it? Enters Lirin.

And having a Bondsmith for a father and Kaladin as a brother will set little Ordeon nicely for the back 5.

Two years from now, you all will either congratulate me or resurrect this thread to make me eat my hat :)

On 2021-11-11 at 11:18 PM, Letryx13 said:

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but the next sentence after the one you boldened in that quote supports Lirin being a WindRunner. 

On 2021-11-12 at 4:48 PM, Blackwarder said:

Nah, it’s a small p ;) and there is a difference between taking an oath not to do harm and taking one to protect, one is passive the other is more active.

I agree that each and everyone of Kaladins’ oaths have been essentially things his father already told him but that doesn’t mean that Lirin will end up being a Windrunner. Let’s think about it this way, Kaladins’ journey has been the predicted dissonance between the soldier and the surgeon and through that time Lirin has been representing the surgeon in Kals’ psyche. In the end Kal find peace by realizing that they are both right, each in their own way, but they are different.

I highly doubt Lirin will become a Windrunner, storywise it’s redundant and uninteresting, I don’t think that we have time to see Lirin struggle with the fact that sometimes you have to kill in order to protect, and besides I don’t think he is capable of crossing that particular obstacle.

If Lirin will bond a spren I think one of the things Brandon will use him will be to show us how the similar oaths/intentions can be so similar and yet so different that they “click” with other kinds of sprens, sort of like how The Lopen is used to show us that the oaths have dipper meaning that are not the same for each knight within the same order but on the entire spectrum of orders not just within one order.

Edited by Blackwarder