The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

Several years back, I got a new job in Utah and moved out here to my current residence.  I did a bit of looking around and found a nice place to stay, and when Sunday came around I headed off to church at the local ward.

Imagine my shock when I saw famous webcomic author (and Brandon's Writing Excuses co-host) Howard Tayler walk in and sit down a few pews away! :o  So... yeah.  I'm in the same ward as him.

Today is going to be very long. I’m in youth, and we’re going to drive a few hours to the nearest temple, do some baptisms, and then we go to lunch somewhere. But that’s not the end of it. There’s also a dance. Which will take forever. And will be an hour drive back. :blink: 

Sorry for complaining. I’m pretty excited, just blowing off some stress about the day.

8 minutes ago, Aes Sedai said:

Well a good chunk of our ward is a 65+ neighborhood, so at activities with all the youth combined we get like 10 people, if we’re lucky. 

Wow, that's not a lot. I don't have any kids my age in my ward, but still I think we have a lot more than that

What's it like?

It’s…interesting. Sometimes it’s nice, because we can do more expensive activities without using up our entire year’s budget, but sometimes…once we tried to throw a birthday party for one of our leaders, and we had 2 people show up. 

We used to have a ton, (there were 20 people in my grade), but then our ward split, (now I’m the only one in my grade). I think having more people is funner of the two.

1 minute ago, Aes Sedai said:

It’s…interesting. Sometimes it’s nice, because we can do more expensive activities without using up our entire year’s budget, but sometimes…once we tried to throw a birthday party for one of our leaders, and we had 2 people show up. 

We used to have a ton, (there were 20 people in my grade), but then our ward split, (now I’m the only one in my grade). I think having more people is funner of the two.

oh yes. more people at activities is always more fun

passing the sacrament is a struggle in our ward. We have a grand total of... 3 deacons. And one goes between his mom and dad's houses, one only shows up half the time, and the last is late 90% of the time. So the teachers quorum always has to help pass. and we often need some priests. it's not fun.

2 hours ago, Being of Cacophony said:

passing the sacrament is a struggle in our ward. We have a grand total of... 3 deacons. And one goes between his mom and dad's houses, one only shows up half the time, and the last is late 90% of the time. So the teachers quorum always has to help pass. and we often need some priests. it's not fun.

Maybe that's not fun, it could always be worse though. My ward is pretty darn big, but I think they're close to splitting it into two. We've got plenty of deacons, but it's honestly awesome the gospel has spread enough so churches can have the priesthood.

Also. I still haven't seen the last Chosen episode. :wacko::blink:

1 hour ago, Gregorio said:

Maybe that's not fun, it could always be worse though. My ward is pretty darn big, but I think they're close to splitting it into two. We've got plenty of deacons, but it's honestly awesome the gospel has spread enough so churches can have the priesthood.

Also. I still haven't seen the last Chosen episode. :wacko::blink:

Oh, it could be a lot worse. To be fair, we used to do things really differently and the I got out of the presidency and they changed a freaking ton. It's really frustrating because on the rare occasion when pass its really weird.

13 hours ago, Aes Sedai said:

Yeah, the funnest days are sometimes the most stressful.

Imagine having youth in your ward. :P

We used to only have four teachers, two deacons and 0 priests. then our ward got combined with half another ward and four guys became deacons from our ward so we now have some people. three priests now... two teachers.

4 hours ago, Being of Cacophony said:

That reminds me of back when we literally only had deacons, a teacher and a priest...

30 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

We used to only have four teachers, two deacons and 0 priests. then our ward got combined with half another ward and four guys became deacons from our ward so we now have some people. three priests now... two teachers.

That reminds me of back when we literally only had deacons, a teacher and a priest...

yikes... that doesn't sound fun. we have quite a few priests and several teachers. It could be worse for me, but it's still not fun.

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

Lol you guys my ward has 50+ active youth. Sometimes they try to cram us all in the YW room. It doesn't work so well.

:wacko:

We've had some back-and-forth over who gets what room. Technically, yes, it is the Relief Society room, but there's few enough of them that we've switched with them a couple of times with no problem--they fit in our classroom just fine, and we can spread out a bit more there.

Why churches don't have a dedicated Elders' Quorum room (or similar) is lost on me. My old building did. That was nice.

22 minutes ago, Eran of Arcadia said:

When I was in the YSA ward I often volunteered to bless the sacrament. I'm not saying that the only reason I did this was that it allowed me to see all the pretty girls as they came in to the chapel, but I'm not saying it wasn't a factor.

Ngl that's a bit creepy.

17 hours ago, Being of Cacophony said:

We have one :P Two priests as well, of which I am one, but there always are adults helping pass. If we have missionaries assigned to our ward they help as well.