The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

I didn’t believe that my post a few days ago would start a debate lol. 

it’s the way they said it, without “reverence” not quite mocking the church but also not being reverent. (I’m sorry if that doesn’t make any sense, I don’t know any way to put it) 

Edit: maybe I shouldn’t have put triggered. I do understand that non-members don’t know what to call us since they’ve called us “Mormons” and now we want them to call us Members if The Church if Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (or members of the LDS religion) which is a bit of a mouthful. I don’t blame them though.

It has been quite interesting learning about the history of the LDS religion from the point of view from non-members, listening to my peers hypotheses on different matters (the pioneers, Joseph Smith etc.) It’s made me have some historical empathy of how the Native Americans that lived in Utah at the time of the pioneers must’ve felt when we came in. 
yeah, sorry guys if that didn’t make any sense, I’ve just been pondering that for quite some time and felt like sharing it.  

Edited by Maddie The Succulent

Well, as I recall, isn't "Latter-day Saint" an acceptable way to refer to a member? They've certainly used it in Conference the last couple years. It's only when that becomes a substitute for the name of the Church itself (e.g. "the Church of the Latter-day Saints") that it's a problem.

Edited by Slowswift

Hey hey, what's good! My fellow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, I have some very exciting news that I thought y'all would appreciate! Just this last week, I got my mission call to Berlin Germany! Departing July 18th. Super hyped and cannot wait to go. 

20 hours ago, Maddie The Succulent said:

I didn’t believe that my post a few days ago would start a debate lol. 

it’s the way they said it, without “reverence” not quite mocking the church but also not being reverent. (I’m sorry if that doesn’t make any sense, I don’t know any way to put it) 

Edit: maybe I shouldn’t have put triggered. I do understand that non-members don’t know what to call us since they’ve called us “Mormons” and now we want them to call us Members if The Church if Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (or members of the LDS religion) which is a bit of a mouthful. I don’t blame them though.

It has been quite interesting learning about the history of the LDS religion from the point of view from non-members, listening to my peers hypotheses on different matters (the pioneers, Joseph Smith etc.) It’s made me have some historical empathy of how the Native Americans that lived in Utah at the time of the pioneers must’ve felt when we came in. 
yeah, sorry guys if that didn’t make any sense, I’ve just been pondering that for quite some time and felt like sharing it.  

19 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Well, as I recall, isn't "Latter-day Saint" an acceptable way to refer to a member? They've certainly used it in Conference the last couple years. It's only when that becomes a substitute for the name of the Church itself (e.g. "the Church of the Latter-day Saints") that it's a problem.

I'm pretty sure the goal is to not take out Jesus Christ's name.

1 hour ago, Tani said:

I'm pretty sure the goal is to not take out Jesus Christ's name.

Even so, ‘Latter-day Saint’ is definitely used (I think in conference, yeah) but another goal is to get rid of the assumption some people have that we worship Mormon (who was a great guy, but not who we worship) and ‘Latter-day Saint’ accomplishes that.

‘Latter-day Saint’ is part of the full name of the church and if that’s what we’re known by, the rest of the name is known as well.

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Even so, ‘Latter-day Saint’ is definitely used (I think in conference, yeah) but another goal is to get rid of the assumption some people have that we worship Mormon (who was a great guy, but not who we worship) and ‘Latter-day Saint’ accomplishes that.

‘Latter-day Saint’ is part of the full name of the church and if that’s what we’re known by, the rest of the name is known as well.

Previously, yes. Not anymore, I think. President Nelson specifically mentioned 'Latter-day Saint' as one of the labels we shouldn't use anymore if I recall correctly. And I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly.

We could keep fighting about this from memory or we could look it up.

I found this on churchofjesuschrist.org 

Spoiler

4D46A53B-DBF6-4173-B94C-1DBA7C40D712.jpeg.9c419071c23c8fbfdc9439c4e17fec31.jpeg

Spoiler

E16F518A-13E2-4DD2-9DFD-E8C4C8DC3C72.thumb.jpeg.d06db2b76a85eb04f17cb228d2966c30.jpeg

Spoiler

A231215F-DE6C-4136-AFEB-0C239C5E42FD.jpeg.dbbe555c18a453135fcdc866bb3b3ae2.jpeg

Spoiler

845F6AF6-93FC-4E66-A495-5750C5B40092.jpeg.7588134b0dffae5628fe88b3af959b24.jpeg

I think the last one will help a lot.
Yea, so I’ve always been saying LDS, oops:P. Yea, hopefully this resolves the problem..

Edited by Maddie The Succulent

On 3/7/2022 at 9:07 AM, BitBitio said:

Hey hey, what's good! My fellow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, I have some very exciting news that I thought y'all would appreciate! Just this last week, I got my mission call to Berlin Germany! Departing July 18th. Super hyped and cannot wait to go. 

Congrats! I'm excited for you.

7 hours ago, Maddie The Succulent said:

I found this on churchofjesuschrist.org 

Reveal hidden contents

4D46A53B-DBF6-4173-B94C-1DBA7C40D712.jpeg.9c419071c23c8fbfdc9439c4e17fec31.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

E16F518A-13E2-4DD2-9DFD-E8C4C8DC3C72.thumb.jpeg.d06db2b76a85eb04f17cb228d2966c30.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

A231215F-DE6C-4136-AFEB-0C239C5E42FD.jpeg.dbbe555c18a453135fcdc866bb3b3ae2.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

845F6AF6-93FC-4E66-A495-5750C5B40092.jpeg.7588134b0dffae5628fe88b3af959b24.jpeg

I think the last one will help a lot.
Yea, so I’ve always been saying LDS, oops:P. Yea, hopefully this resolves the problem..

Thanks muchly!

Oh no, you're going to miss the Year of Sanderson! Just remember that sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven . . .

That’s so exciting! Congratulations!

Congrats man!

Congrats! If you meet up with Sorana or Paleo, tell them hi from me :P 

That sounds fun! I had to walk a mile from seminary to school (our seminary is at the institute building at a college) and it was 8 degrees! But felt like -13 degrees, which is way worse. :( I think my ears have frostbite. 

On a happier note, I like seminary!

On 3/8/2022 at 9:27 AM, Liahona said:

Congrats! I'm excited for you.

16 hours ago, Eran of Arcadia said:

Oh no, you're going to miss the Year of Sanderson! Just remember that sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven . . .

14 hours ago, Maddie The Succulent said:

That’s so exciting! Congratulations!

13 hours ago, Frustration said:

Congrats man!

11 hours ago, AonEne said:

Congrats! If you meet up with Sorana or Paleo, tell them hi from me :P 

Thanks all!
@Eran of Arcadia hehe I will keep that in mind:DYoS is too storming expensive for a broke barely-adult like myself so I think I’ll be alright:P

@AonEne in the event that I see them I will! Probably won’t tho:ph34r:

Awesome Bit! I’m still working on dr. Appointments before my papers, but super excited for you! My cousin went there too, and she loved it!

Hey, if any of you guys are near Utah County tomorrow (3/12), you should come by the American Fork Library. We're having a Sander-Celebration from 11-3. You can participate in bridge run reenactments in the park, book discussions, and all kinds of fun worldhopper activities! There will also be some awesome prize drawings (extra entries for costumes)! If you're in the area, stop in and say hi--and maybe help us carry a bridge!

On the subject of Joseph. I’ve started noticing parallels between him and Kaladin. I know that the whole “rising up from prison/slavery and getting power then going for revenge” is a pretty common trope (Count of Monte Cristo), but think about it. There are enough similarities to make me think it’s intentional.

2 hours ago, Mage said:

On the subject of Joseph. I’ve started noticing parallels between him and Kaladin. I know that the whole “rising up from prison/slavery and getting power then going for revenge” is a pretty common trope (Count of Monte Cristo), but think about it. There are enough similarities to make me think it’s intentional.

Hehe. I've even found thematic and musical comparisons between Joseph entering Egypt as a slave and Kaladin entering the Shattered Plains as a slave.

Compare and contrast this scene (and its music) with this song by The Black Piper that goes with the scene where Kaladin arrives on the Shattered Plains:

When I hear this song, I even think of the Joseph: King of Dreams movie each time! It has that vibe to it, you know?

Anyway, I think I've found my people on here. I just finished my two year mission at the end of December and I'm glad to see how some of my Sharder friends of years past are now on their own!

Edited by Firerust
Wrong link posted.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:01 AM, DramaQueen said:

Hey I did something like that

It's called I was in the musical Joseph a couple years ago

hey me too

its called i'm currently in that musical and it's tech week and im tired