The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Ookla the Theoretical said:

That's terrifying! My seminary starts again next week (I have 1st and 3rd trimesters) and it starts at 6:40 in the morning! I have to get up so early....:(

My seminary starts at 6 :P 

2 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Personally, I think you're the lucky one cuz you get to see Fadran irl

wait a sec, Ati and Fadran know each other irl! I thought you and Fadran did? (if I am being insensitive in any way I am very very very sorry this is not my intention.)

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

wait a sec, Ati and Fadran know each other irl! I thought you and Fadran did? (if I am being insensitive in any way I am very very very sorry this is not my intention.)

Depends on how you define "knowing each other irl." Fadran and I have met in person, but we live ten hours apart and haven't seen each other irl for almost 8 months. Atusiff lives in the same city as Fadran.

Just now, DramaQueen said:

Depends on how you define "knowing each other irl." Fadran and I have met in person, but we live ten hours apart and haven't seen each other irl for almost 8 months. Atusiff lives in the same city as Fadran.

oh cool! that is awesome guys! I bet a couple years ago I knew one of you and you knew me and we were completely oblivious. I have always wondered stuff like that.

8 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

Mine is during school lol :P

Idaho, Utah, and Arizona. Gotta love em for release time seminary.

Also I am somewhat sad as tomorrow will be my last day of seminary ever. But it has been good and more religious education lies in my future.

22 hours ago, Mage said:

Idaho, Utah, and Arizona. Gotta love em for release time seminary.

Also I am somewhat sad as tomorrow will be my last day of seminary ever. But it has been good and more religious education lies in my future.

Technically, most schools in my area have release time seminary, but my schools doesn't. Downsides of an International Baccalaureate program. 

2 hours ago, Maddie The Succulent said:

Someone called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints religion “Mormonism” I’m going to say I was a little triggered and made sure to correct them nicely :P

technically mormonism is an umbrella term that does actually include us. no need to be triggered.

if they actually reffered to us as "mormons", then they deserve correcting. 

7 hours ago, Dannnex said:

technically mormonism is an umbrella term that does actually include us. no need to be triggered.

Technically Mormonism would, kind of like Buddhism, be the worship of Mormon or the following of the doctrines and principles Mormon . Therefore, technically Mormonism does not include the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

15 hours ago, Tani said:

Technically Mormonism would, kind of like Buddhism, be the worship of Mormon or the following of the doctrines and principles Mormon . Therefore, technically Mormonism does not include the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

They way I understand it, Mormonism is an umbrella term that encompasses quite a few religions, not just the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (Like the FLDS church)
But this is quite literally semantics, so it doesn't really matter. :P

22 hours ago, Dannnex said:

While it can be argued that Mormonism is a movement that encompasses multiple religions, the post called the gospel of our church specifically Mormonism.

"The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term 'the restored gospel of Jesus Christ' is accurate and preferred."

This is the official style guide for the Church, which states that to refer to the doctrine of our church specifically (as was mentioned in the post), it is inaccurate and should not be used. Though referring to the overall movement which lead to the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the Community of Christ, and this church, etc. may be considered academically accurate.

Also, I'll add that I don't believe we ought to be 'triggered' unless the terms are trying to be used in a derogatory way or something. Naturally, people will have a hard time understanding why it's important, and I like to be understanding of that.

Edited by Knight of Iron

Well yeah, referring to our doctrine as Mormonism would be inaccurate. 

I guess it just depends on how you read their post.

Someone called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints religion “Mormonism”

I read this as "Someone called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a type of "Mormonism""
Which I think is an acceptable way to read that sentence.

5 minutes ago, Dannnex said:

Well yeah, referring to our doctrine as Mormonism would be inaccurate. 

I guess it just depends on how you read their post.

I read this as "Someone called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a type of "Mormonism""
Which I think is an acceptable way to read that sentence.

Yeah, it is. There's a weird English way of making that work. I suppose I just read it the one way, when it may not actually be clear which way it is to be read.

I suspect that maybe it's more common for someone to call our church/religion/doctrine/teachings Mormonism than for someone to refer to the Mormonism movement, but still.