The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

1 hour ago, SzethTheHonorblade said:

So Where are you guys in your personal the scripture study?

Currently early in Mosiah. Moving at a snail's pace because for whatever reason, good habits are infinitely harder to form than bad ones. But still moving!

CFM is...not really happening, for the aforementioned reason. We're doing it as a family, though.

I suppose that's what I like about this kinda thing. It's personal, infinitely personalizable. Everybody has their own pace.

• 2 months later...

One weird thing, in one of my classes we were learning about the history of our church for some reason, and my teacher that was teaching the class isn’t LDS. So it’s different learning about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young from someone who isn’t a member.

I feel like I shouldn’t be frustrated, but it is a little frustrating when people call us Mormons. I mean, I can’t really blame them since that’s really all they know to call us. It’s just a little frustrating because well, that’s not the name of our church. Idk….

Is that just me?

5 hours ago, Maddie The Succulent said:

I feel like I shouldn’t be frustrated, but it is a little frustrating when people call us Mormons. I mean, I can’t really blame them since that’s really all they know to call us. It’s just a little frustrating because well, that’s not the name of our church. Idk….

Is that just me?

What is the proper terminology then? (genuinely curious)

1 hour ago, Robin Hatter said:

What is the proper terminology then? (genuinely curious)

It's in the title; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It's sort of a mouth full, which also lends to the reason lots of people use a nickname. 

The reason we prefer to be called by the actual name is because the central core of our belief is around Jesus Christ, and when we call ourselves Mormons, it's taking away from the most important part of our religion. 

Edited by Experience

2 hours ago, Experience said:

It's in the title; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It's sort of a mouth full, which also lends to the reason lots of people use a nickname. 

The reason we prefer to be called by the actual name is because the central core of our belief is around Jesus Christ, and when we call ourselves Mormons, it's taking away from the most important part of our religion. 

So for example, I would say Brandon Sanderson is a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

Girl's camp:

We have two camp songs (one's more of a chant tho) that use "mormon." I'm trying to recruit people in all six age groups to help us not teach them to any more years. How do I accomplish this?

Ideas I already have:

If they bring up tradition, I bring up arranged marriage and "if we sing it because it's tradition then it won't ever not be tradition"

If they say something like "what harm does it do" I say something like "it's bad practice"

If they say it's a way to inspire unity I say we can do that with better songs

If they say "these songs are fun tho" I say "there are better fun songs, and some that are more fun."

Anyone have ideas that might help or better things I could say in these situations?

Please help

1 hour ago, Tani said:

Girl's camp:

We have two camp songs (one's more of a chant tho) that use "mormon." I'm trying to recruit people in all six age groups to help us not teach them to any more years. How do I accomplish this?

Ideas I already have:

If they bring up tradition, I bring up arranged marriage and "if we sing it because it's tradition then it won't ever not be tradition"

If they say something like "what harm does it do" I say something like "it's bad practice"

If they say it's a way to inspire unity I say we can do that with better songs

If they say "these songs are fun tho" I say "there are better fun songs, and some that are more fun."

Anyone have ideas that might help or better things I could say in these situations?

Please help

For some songs, replacing ‘Mormon’ with ‘member’ can work so you can still sing them without using the wrong terminology.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, 2EmLee2 said:

True, but at camp last year for me, the song that I think went like "I know a Mormon boy" or something like that, we replaced it so it went "I know a member boy" instead and it seems to work pretty well.

Me who lately has been changing it to "MotCoJCoLDS Boy" which is way too long to actually fit

Also, it's "I love a Mormon boy, he is my pride and joy, he knows 'most everything from Alma on down (woo!) Someday I'll be his wife, we'll share eternal life, oh how I love that Mormon boyoyoy (woo!)"