Mid-Range Game 36: The Northern Wind

DeTess

17 hours ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

That message wasnt me heh.  It sounds to sane too be me :P you of all people should know what i sound like when nervous  :)

I still think it was you.  It was an anonymous message and that could give you a sense of safety.  You also aren't nervous all the time when talking to me during games.  I wouldn't put it past you to overstate your nervousness to try and lull me into complacency.  I know how dangerous you are so I'm always on my guard when playing with you. :) 

5 hours ago, Amanuensis said:
  1. @Alvron: Can you clarify for me which times you'll be online? I want to have at least ten posts of back and forth with you to help me figure out your alignment.

I'll most likely be online from about now to about 8-9 hours from now.  Clearly I won't always be on during that timeframe but those are the best odds of getting a reply from me.

10 minutes ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

I requested a sak for role reasons

I guess I have the same question for you that I had for Devotary: why would your role need the protection that Sak provides? 

8 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I'm not really a PM person, and Kokerlii isn't particularly useful except to make it more difficult for the elims to get one. So I went for Sak, who has the potential to be useful if the elims ever decide to attack someone.

I’ve really started to get into PMs lately, so I find Kukupa to be a much better bird option, but that reasoning does makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Alvron said:

I still think it was you.  It was an anonymous message and that could give you a sense of safety.  You also aren't nervous all the time when talking to me during games.  I wouldn't put it past you to overstate your nervousness to try and lull me into complacency.  I know how dangerous you are so I'm always on my guard when playing with you. :) 

I don’t think it can be her, if she did in fact put in a request for Sak. Posting the anonymous message would require taking an action. So, either Burnt is telling the truth about requesting Sak or she’s lying to hide the fact that she did post the message.

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

I guess I have the same question for you that I had for Devotary: why would your role need the protection that Sak provides? 

---

I don’t think it can be her, if she did in fact put in a request for Sak. Posting the anonymous message would require taking an action. So, either Burnt is telling the truth about requesting Sak or she’s lying to hide the fact that she did post the message.

Because.. reasons? Do you want me to just roleclaim cause that would explain things

Hey either way i didnt do any sabotaging :P

1 hour ago, Amanuensis said:

Hrm. Why didn't you try for an Aviar, @TheMightyLopen?

EDIT:

@Randuir / @Young Bard: Can a Biologist self-target? If a Biologist used their power on D1, would they learn if anyone interacted with them on D1?

I sent the anonymous message. :P I didn't think the message board would get much use and I didn't particularly care about getting another Aviar(especially as I kinda thought the elims would sabotage twice again, so not much of a chance I'd be attacked), so I thought I'd have some fun.

30 minutes ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

@Amanuensis

I requested a sak for role reasons

I got my potoo (its name is Dirge now) back from the sabotage.

You didn't really need to mention the role reason part, as if you're a villager it now puts you in unnecessary danger, but fair enough. I don't know whether or not I should be surprised you got Dirge back from the sabotage, though.

25 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I'm not really a PM person, and Kokerlii isn't particularly useful except to make it more difficult for the elims to get one. So I went for Sak, who has the potential to be useful if the elims ever decide to attack someone.

Unlike Lopen, I'm somewhat inclined to believe you, to an extent. Elephant Bird, Monk Parakeet, Sooty Albatross and Potoo are all real-world birds, and thus fitting within a theme that doesn't seem to be remarked on prior to this post. Thing is, I fully expect whether or not there are 3 or 4 eliminators, 1 of the eliminators who didn't use a sabotage action very likely attempted to get a bird, so whether or not you received it is still in question. Lopen ninja'ing me as I write this helps me eliminate him as an Engineer suspect as well.

20 minutes ago, Alvron said:

I'll most likely be online from about now to about 8-9 hours from now.  Clearly I won't always be on during that timeframe but those are the best odds of getting a reply from me.

I was about to say there's no reason for Burnt to lie about not posting that message, but now that Lopen has come forward, there we go. Mystery solved.

Now for my first alignment probing question. Alvron, you've posted a lot of insight this game regarding strategies, both village and eliminator. At one point you said the eliminator's would be foolish to target the Brig C1 with the intent to hospitalize a prisoner. My first question is this: if you were an eliminator, would you deliberately talk-down your team in thread to distance yourself?

5 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I sent the anonymous message. :P I didn't think the message board would get much use and I didn't particularly care about getting another Aviar (especially as I kinda thought the elims would sabotage twice again, so not much of a chance I'd be attacked), so I thought I'd have some fun.

Ah okay. So there's no mechanical reason for your picking Alvron. Good to have that confirmation.

Edited by Amanuensis

6 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I sent the anonymous message. :P

How rude.  I was having fun trying to work out who sent the message and now you've gone and ruined it. :P 

2 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Now for my first alignment probing question. Alvron, you've posted a lot of insight this game regarding strategies, both village and eliminator. At one point you said the eliminator's would be foolish to target the Brig C1 with the intent to hospitalize a prisoner. My first question is this: if you were an eliminator, would you deliberately talk-down your team in thread to distance yourself?

I've never cared about distancing myself from others.  Nor have I bothered to try and pocket others.  At least on purpose as sometimes it just happens.  So the answer is no, not on purpose.

Currently reading Burnt and Araris village. While it’s true that Aman can’t really be the saboteur due to being offline but that doesn’t cross him off the list of potential vanilla/non-engineer elims. 

4 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

If I'm not mistaken, only 1 of each Aviar can exist at a time, yes?

That’s what I thought too at the time xD Oh well. That’s would’ve been nice for some PoE. It was the whole reason I even revealed the fact that I got one lolol

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

For now, I’ll place a tentative vote on Stick.

I requested for the Kukupa Twins C1 but ended up with a lil Smew and I luckily received an Aviar last cycle as I’ve already mentioned. I know this in no way clears me of not being the elim saboteur but hey what else can I say.

24 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I’ve really started to get into PMs lately, so I find Kukupa to be a much better bird option, but that reasoning does makes sense. 

Slight villager vibe from Striker after reading this post. It seems very villagery. It’s mostly just my gut speaking though. 

Yeah so I have no idea who to vote for. Don’t wanna start tunneling on Drake plus his claims seem genuine, so I don’t know anymore. Alv is always hard to read, and same with Devotary. So I’m wary of those two. Also I’m certain the elim team has at least one of the barely actives/inactives so I’d be willing to dismiss one of those, except problem is I have no way of choosing one over the other - it’ll be a complete shot in the dark, and I don’t think the village is in a position to make a move like that right now. 

Edited by _Stick_
Wrote elim instead of villager

On 7/17/2019 at 8:42 PM, Amanuensis said:
  1. Mrake: Very unlikely to be the Engineer given the fact he didn't place a self-preservation vote.
  2. Devotary: No confirmable alibi, claims to have received an Aviar.
  3. Mark: Last online Tuesday at 3PM my time. Previous turn began Monday at 12PM my time. Sadly cannot rule him out as the Engineer, but leaving him in yellow for now.
  4. Stick: No alibi, received a bird.
  5. Lopen: Claims to have posted the anonymous message. Is smart enough to arrange a teammate to post a message for his alibi, however. I am not opposed to the Trapper putting him in the hospital today just to make sure.
  6. Alvron
  7. Araris: In the hospital so irrelevant for today's lynch.
  8. Burnt: Like Mrake, unlikely to be engineer due to lack of self-preservation vote. Still worried about a Burnt/Alvron team, but will always lynch Alvron first, here.

I don't believe we should lynch anyone other than Devotary, Stick, or Alvron today, personally. I fully support the Trapper putting Lopen, Burnt, or any one of the first three who isn't lynched into the hospital, however.

3 minutes ago, Alvron said:

How rude.  I was having fun trying to work out who sent the message and now you've gone and ruined it. :P 

I've never cared about distancing myself from others.  Nor have I bothered to try and pocket others.  At least on purpose as sometimes it just happens.  So the answer is no, not on purpose.

I'm willing to take this and that post about the Brig sabotage being foolish at face value, then. What kind of bird did you receive yesterday?

2 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Currently reading Burnt and Araris village. While it’s true that Aman can’t really be the saboteur due to being offline but that doesn’t cross him off the list of potential vanilla/non-engineer elims. 

That’s what I thought too at the time xD Oh well. That’s would’ve been nice for some PoE. It was the whole reason I even revealed the fact that I got one lolol

I requested for the Kukupa Twins C1 but ended up with a lil Smew and I luckily received an Aviar last cycle as I’ve already mentioned. I know this in no way clears me of not being the elim saboteur but hey what else can I say.

Slight elim vibe from Striker after reading this post. It seems very villagery. It’s mostly just my gut speaking though. 

Yeah so I have no idea who to vote for. Don’t wanna start tunneling on Drake plus his claims seem genuine, so I don’t know anymore. Alv is always hard to read, and same with Devotary. So I’m wary of those two. Also I’m certain the elim team has at least one of the barely actives/inactives so I’d be willing to dismiss one of those, except problem is I have no way of choosing one over the other - it’ll be a complete shot in the dark, and I don’t think the village is in a position to make a move like that right now. 

If you're a villager, then Devotary is certainly an eliminator, IMO. Your vote would be best off going there.

18 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Unlike Lopen, I'm somewhat inclined to believe you, to an extent. Elephant Bird, Monk Parakeet, Sooty Albatross and Potoo are all real-world birds, and thus fitting within a theme that doesn't seem to be remarked on prior to this post. Thing is, I fully expect whether or not there are 3 or 4 eliminators, 1 of the eliminators who didn't use a sabotage action very likely attempted to get a bird, so whether or not you received it is still in question. Lopen ninja'ing me as I write this helps me eliminate him as an Engineer suspect as well.

That was my reason for doubting rather than him completely making it up.

4 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Yeah, I was gonna keep it to myself, but with as much discussion surrounding it as there was, I figured it'd be best to clear that up. I was gonna ramp up the paranoia in the next message too... 

Actually Aman, I'm planning a visit to the Hospital this Cycle anyways, so no need to get me attacked. :P

3 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I'm willing to take this and that post about the Brig sabotage being foolish at face value, then. What kind of bird did you receive yesterday?

Guam Kingfisher.

5 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

That was my reason for doubting rather than him completely making it up.

Yeah, I was gonna keep it to myself, but with as much discussion surrounding it as there was, I figured it'd be best to clear that up. I was gonna ramp up the paranoia in the next message too... 

Actually Aman, I'm planning a visit to the Hospital this Cycle anyways, so no need to get me attacked. :P

As you confirmed, going to the hospital is not an action. If you're an Engineer you just need to get one sabotage off today before you go, and one of your teammates needs to use the faction ability to sabotage the last part tomorrow. So honestly that doesn't alleviate my concerns in the slightest, even if it'd be risky, should a part get repaired.

5 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Guam Kingfisher.

Thank you. After this game I hope the GMs share how they went about creating the list of non-Aviar.

Anyway, a vote tally:

• (1) Burnt Spaghettishanerocks,
  • (1) _Stick_StrikerEZ,
  • (1) Devotary of SpontaneityAmanuensis,
Edited by Amanuensis

1 minute ago, Amanuensis said:

As you confirmed, going to the hospital is not an action. If you're an Engineer you just need to get one sabotage off today before you go, and one of your teammates needs to use the faction ability to sabotage the last part tomorrow. So honestly that doesn't alleviate my concerns in the slightest, even if it'd be risky, should a part get repaired.

Aren't there five parts still working though not three?  Going to the Hospital at this stage would be foolish if they are the elim engineer.  Or any engineer for that matter.

Just now, Alvron said:

Aren't there five parts still working though not three?  Going to the Hospital at this stage would be foolish if they are the elim engineer.  Or any engineer for that matter.

You're correct. I confused the number 3 as the number of cycles until loss with the number of parts left :P

40 minutes ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Because.. reasons? Do you want me to just roleclaim cause that would explain things

Hey either way i didnt do any sabotaging :P

I mean, I think it was a little foolish to mention it was because of role reasons. Because now the elims basically know you have some sort of important role...and you don’t have protection. You could’ve just given some other reason, leaving your role still basically unknown, but it’s too late now. 

20 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

You could always vote for yourself and prove your innocence (or guilt :ph34r:) that way. :P 

Or, like Aman said, Devotary would be a good option too. I think there’s more against you than there is for Devotary, but if one of you is elim the other probably isn’t. So it’d be helpful if we lynched one of you two. (Hopefully we get an elim first). 

EDIT: Wow, got ninja’d twice. 

Anyway, looks like we have another tie lynch on our hands. 

Edited by StrikerEZ

13 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

If you're a villager, then Devotary is certainly an eliminator, IMO. Your vote would be best off going there.

Does your suspicion for Devotary come from the fact that their alibi isn’t confirmable? Are there other reasons? 

Just now, _Stick_ said:

Does your suspicion for Devotary come from the fact that their alibi isn’t confirmable? Are there other reasons? 

Process of elimination. The players I didn't list at the beginning of this cycle are extremely unlikely to be the elim!Engineer, and Devotary's posting style is more-or-less impossible to read her alignment from, compared to the others. She's also voted every time, has a non-confirmable alibi, and is one of the players I would expect to go for a sabotage-victory from the get go. The post with the color-coded names explains why I don't think Mrake, Burnt, Mark or Lopen are the Engineer, which really just leaves her, you, and Alvron.

5 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I mean, I think it was a little foolish to mention it was because of role reasons. Because now the elims basically know you have some sort of important role...and you don’t have protection. You could’ve just given some other reason, leaving your role still basically unknown, but it’s too late now. 

Oh im aware. I have additional reasons for that too :P but, spoilers~

Just now, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Oh im aware. I have additional reasons for that too :P but, spoilers~

Oh, are you trying to bait them to attack you? Or maybe you’re gonna hospitalize yourself? I guess I’ll find out whatever you’re planning eventually. :P

12 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Thank you. After this game I hope the GMs share how they went about creating the list of non-Aviar.

Anyway, a vote tally:

• (1) Burnt Spaghettishanerocks,
  • (1) _Stick_StrikerEZ,
  • (1) Devotary of SpontaneityAmanuensis,

Like Alv said, I think it would be too early for the elim team to give up their second sabotage. 

One possibility I think we should be aware of is an elim hammer. If we do somehow hit the engineer with our lynch, I don't think it's impossible the elims could try that to get one extra sabotage across by saving their engineer even if it reveals them. Might be too risky this Cycle though.

1 minute ago, Amanuensis said:

Process of elimination. The players I didn't list at the beginning of this cycle are extremely unlikely to be the elim!Engineer, and Devotary's posting style is more-or-less impossible to read her alignment from, compared to the others. She's also voted every time, has a non-confirmable alibi, and is one of the players I would expect to go for a sabotage-victory from the get go. The post with the color-coded names explains why I don't think Mrake, Burnt, Mark or Lopen are the Engineer, which really just leaves her, you, and Alvron.

Yeah, same here. It's not that I have an eliminator read on Alv or Devotary, it's that I have mostly village reads on everyone else. Devotary

Alright. Devotary, while it’s true that offered a nice little bird name to claim that you received, it’s entirely possible you took that off from a third (first sends in the order for sabotage, second is the engineer and also sends in the order for sabotage) elim teammate’s action results. You’ve posted quite a bit but have rarely said anything alignment indicative. You were the second vote on Elandera (ninjad at this point by Aman), setting the lynch to a 2-way tie. Being the third vote on Aman would’ve been incriminating for you as an elim (assuming that Aman is village) and not voting at all would have also been suspicious to an extent given your active contributions throughout the cycle. (Ninjad by Burnt). You voted for Burnt last cycle with a bunch of questions with the vote hoping to get a response. She did answer those questions yet there was no follow up response from you and your vote stayed. Additionally your vote wasn’t manipulated, conforming that you aren’t a Navigator, which opens the window for the possibility of you being the elim engineer. (2 more ninjas Striker and Lopen). Yeah I’ll stop talking now Devotary. 

3 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Alright. Devotary, while it’s true that offered a nice little bird name to claim that you received, it’s entirely possible you took that off from a third (first sends in the order for sabotage, second is the engineer and also sends in the order for sabotage) elim teammate’s action results. You’ve posted quite a bit but have rarely said anything alignment indicative. You were the second vote on Elandera (ninjad at this point by Aman), setting the lynch to a 2-way tie. Being the third vote on Aman would’ve been incriminating for you as an elim (assuming that Aman is village) and not voting at all would have also been suspicious to an extent given your active contributions throughout the cycle. (Ninjad by Burnt). You voted for Burnt last cycle with a bunch of questions with the vote hoping to get a response. She did answer those questions yet there was no follow up response from you and your vote stayed. Additionally your vote wasn’t manipulated, conforming that you aren’t a Navigator, which opens the window for the possibility of you being the elim engineer.

It is, of course, really easy to confirm that I have a Sak and that I'm not the elim engineer. One trapper can roleblock me, but can't stop me from going to the hospital of my own volition. This would either prove I'm not an elim engineer, or force the elims to forgo a double sabotage/sabotage+attack. I'm also kind of confused by how Aman narrowed down his list. It's all well and good to consider the voting players the biggest threat and focus on them as elim suspects. When going for a specific role though, there's absolutely nothing stopping @xinoehp512, @shanerockes, @Mark IV, @Lumgol, or @Ventyl from being the elim engineer. It's great if the two coincide, but there's no reason that has to be the case.

I kept my vote on Burnt because I didn't see the point of lynching Ark, and there ~10 minutes left in the cycle so I didn't have time to go back and check whether Drake or Alvron were more likely to be evil.

3 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

It is, of course, really easy to confirm that I have a Sak and that I'm not the elim engineer. One trapper can roleblock me, but can't stop me from going to the hospital of my own volition. This would either prove I'm not an elim engineer, or force the elims to forgo a double sabotage/sabotage+attack. I'm also kind of confused by how Aman narrowed down his list. It's all well and good to consider the voting players the biggest threat and focus on them as elim suspects. When going for a specific role though, there's absolutely nothing stopping @xinoehp512, @shanerockes, @Mark IV, @Lumgol, or @Ventyl from being the elim engineer. It's great if the two coincide, but there's no reason that has to be the case.

I kept my vote on Burnt because I didn't see the point of lynching Ark, and there ~10 minutes left in the cycle so I didn't have time to go back and check whether Drake or Alvron were more likely to be evil.

I ruled out Xino because I was an elim with him very recently and he never voted or put orders in. I ruled out shane because while they could very well be the engineer, they are very likely being directed by a more prolific player, which is another criteria for my list. I've put Mark on the back burner because while he could have put the order in, I would have expected him to post more than once if he were evil. I know Lum's role (everyone should at this point, it's pretty obvious). As for Ventyl, I read his request for a pinch hitter as pretty genuine.

Edited by Amanuensis

5 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I ruled out Xino because I was an elim with him very recently and he never voted or put orders in. I ruled out shane because while they could very well be the engineer, they are very likely being directed by a more prolific player, which is another criteria for my list. I've put Mark on the back burner because while he could have put the order in, I would have expected him to post more than once if he were evil. I know Lum's role (everyone should at this point, it's pretty obvious). As for Ventyl, I read his request for a pinch hitter as pretty genuine.

Xino submitted orders in the other game, so there's no reason he couldn't have done so in this game. If your goal is to find a generic elim who could be directing the elim engineer, then it doesn't make sense to use criteria that rules out people as elim engineers for evidence in finding the generic elim. You would know better than I if activity is alignment indicative for Mark, as I only remember him being relatively active as a villager in MR32 and less active except for submitting actions as a faction member in AG5. Lum has claimed a role that was used C1(not doctor, internal affairs, or trapper), but isn't so valuable that time can't be taken to grab an Aviar(not village engineer, likely not biologist). I don't think that's quite as conclusive as you're suggesting. Navigator is quite possible for a village Lum, but elim engineer lying about which bird she received isn't impossible. Requesting a pinch hitter despite being nominally active is exactly what elim!Snipexe did in LG56, and was a big reason why I voted for him. Generally, I think an elim would care more about making sure their action isn't lost than a villager would.

21 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Xino submitted orders in the other game, so there's no reason he couldn't have done so in this game. If your goal is to find a generic elim who could be directing the elim engineer, then it doesn't make sense to use criteria that rules out people as elim engineers for evidence in finding the generic elim. You would know better than I if activity is alignment indicative for Mark, as I only remember him being relatively active as a villager in MR32 and less active except for submitting actions as a faction member in AG5. Lum has claimed a role that was used C1(not doctor, internal affairs, or trapper), but isn't so valuable that time can't be taken to grab an Aviar(not village engineer, likely not biologist). I don't think that's quite as conclusive as you're suggesting. Navigator is quite possible for a village Lum, but elim engineer lying about which bird she received isn't impossible. Requesting a pinch hitter despite being nominally active is exactly what elim!Snipexe did in LG56, and was a big reason why I voted for him. Generally, I think an elim would care more about making sure their action isn't lost than a villager would.

I find it a lot more likely that Xino is a village!Engineer than an elim!one. Speaking of, @xinoehp512. Shane also had expressed that he was busy IRL, which while it doesn't mean he couldn't have submitted the order, it also doesn't mean he did. I wouldn't be opposed to the Trapper hospitalizing him tonight for that reason. @shanerockes I don't think you replied to my last ping. What's up? As for Ventyl, it's more so the wording of his pinch-hitter request than the request itself that I'm reading as genuine.

19 minutes ago, Lumgol said:

What do you think my role is?

Navigator. I doubt it's a coincidence you stopped using your role ability to grab an Aviar right after the Bridge had been sabotaged.

On the subject of people visiting the hospital to prove they're not the Engineer, it is a bit late for that, IMO. That's a long-game play and we're pretty much at the end of this game already. Not to mention I really don't want any villager to abandon the thread. If we don't have you here to talk and vote, we might as well be handing the game to the eliminators on a silver platter.

Also I believe there was a collective misunderstanding about the SITC.

Southern Influence Commerce Syndicate Saboteurs

You’ve heard of the NITC’s new project, and decided it could do with a couple of set-backs while the parent company rush their own air-ship into production.

This is the eliminiation team. Each cycle, this faction can either attack one player or sabotage one airship part. Victory is achieved when all airship parts have been sabotaged or all NITC players have been hospitalized or dismissed. The faction has a doc to conspire in.

Victory for the elims is not parity, for any of you who believed it was. Until we get rid of the Engineer, however, it doesn't really matter. Every villager needs to pull their weight if we want to win this.

EDIT:

@Devotary of Spontaneity, if you're not evil, I ask that you start building a case against another player or two. Since PoE is the main reason I'm voting for you right now, your best bet in convincing me to change would be presenting a better target.

Edited by Amanuensis