Mid-Range Game 36: The Northern Wind

DeTess

5 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

There are five airship parts still intact, so it would take at least three cycles of sabotage to take down the ship. It's also possible that we had one active engineer who partially fixed either the bridge or the brig last cycle. @Randuir, if the last airship part is sabotaged in the same cycle a previously sabotaged part is fully repaired, does the game end?

No, the game would not end in that case, though repairing happens before sabotage so the elim team could sabotage a part they think will be repaired to take it offline again if it is repaired.

Or, to cut my rambling short: the game only ends if there are no parts left online at the end of the order of actions. Game-end conditions aren't checked after every action.

Edited by Randuir

I never like when things are this quiet, but it's especially bad when the village is on the brink of losing. I am willing to take the blame for a good amount of this, and will do my best to get things moving productively going forward.

For anyone who's posted anonymous messages so far, I encourage that you continue to do so and ask if you're willing to share your identities with the thread. If I'm not mistaken, it counts as an action, which would make you cleared of being a saboteur.

I've recuperated from my time away from home now and will be rereading the first two days again to see what I can glean. Expect a massive wall or two coming within the next few hours.

I’ve been a little busy because of getting ready for the funeral, so I’ve just been skimming the thread lately. I’ll probably go back through and do a more thorough read of things at some point before rollover. Also, glad you’re back, Aman!

20 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I’ve been a little busy because of getting ready for the funeral, so I’ve just been skimming the thread lately. I’ll probably go back through and do a more thorough read of things at some point before rollover. Also, glad you’re back, Aman!

Thanks Striker. I'm glad I'm still alive despite your voting me :P no hard feelings though. I might have done the same thing had I been in your shoes.

At this point our best chance of winning is finding the elim!Engineer immediately. As such, I'm going to do my best to pin down people's action claims / alibis.

1. @xinoehp512: hasn't posted once. Judging from the last game I played with him, he probably hasn't put any orders in either. Really hoping he's not a village!Engineer.
  2. @Lumgol: where are you at? You posted once, IIRC. Did you use an action D1 or D2?
  3. @StrikerEZ: for sure confirmed not to sabotage D1. Do you still have your bird, or did it return before the Aviary was sabotaged? Also who have you PM'd?
  4. @Ventyl: asked for a pinch hitter, so I'm guessing they haven't put actions in. Probably okay, but if you're an Engineer, vent, please us your ability tonight to repair the Bridge.
  5. @MrakeDarshall: claimed to request the mind-shrouding bird. Did you get it, and did it return? Or do you still have it?
  6. @Devotary of Spontaneity: hasn't suggested any kind of actions taken AFAIK, and is one of my top candidates for elim!Engineer. Do you have any information you can share that might help me worry less about your alignment?
  7. @Mark IV: hey buddy, what's going on? If you're a village!Engineer we really need you to come back and start repairing.
  8. @shanerockes: I don't think we've ever played before. You said you're not good at reading people, but I'd like to ask you your thoughts on Devotary and Stick. At the moment I'm thinking they're better votes than Burnt.
  9. @_Stick_: I'll be analyzing your posts soon, so be on the lookout for that. There's a good chance I'll be voting for you today.
  10. @Alvron: Can you clarify for me which times you'll be online? I want to have at least ten posts of back and forth with you to help me figure out your alignment.
  11. Araris Valerian: In the hospital so not really worth tagging. Doesn't rule him out as a regular elim, but very likely not the elim!Engineer.
  12. @Burnt Spaghetti: You claimed to get a bird on D1, but not one with a power. Which one did you request?

¡IMPORTANT!

If you're a village!Engineer who has already half-repaired a ship part, repair the same part again today. If you're a village!Engineer who hasn't repaired a part at all, please start today with the Bridge.

Edited by Amanuensis

1 hour ago, Amanuensis said:

@StrikerEZ: for sure confirmed not to sabotage D1. Do you still have your bird, or did it return before the Aviary was sabotaged? Also who have you PM'd?

It was returned before the Aviary was sabotaged. I had a PM with BR before it left though. She can confirm that. 

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

It was returned before the Aviary was sabotaged. I had a PM with BR before it left though. She can confirm that. 

Unfortunately she can't really since she's in the hospital, but I believe it. What kind of bird did you get after the Aviary was sabotaged?

12 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Unfortunately she can't really since she's in the hospital, but I believe it. What kind of bird did you get after the Aviary was sabotaged?

I got a non-Aviar, I think it was like some type of parakeet or something. Yeah, a Monk Parakeet. Not sure if that’s something you’d find on First of the Sun though. :P

I missed these two posts so I'm going to go ahead and respond to them now.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:00 PM, _Stick_ said:

Not good. The elims are winning fast. Nothing has been repaired, which is super concerning. 

Hmm I don’t know if I should consider Drake and Burnt to be very very village given the lynch tie and all, or to consider them being in cahoots as elims. 

I can tell you right off the bat that I luckily received an Aviar upon the holding area being sabotaged, so narrowing the player list down to one player with a certain ability with a certain bird would be doable for me now, if a player shows signs of having used such abilities. 

@Alvron:ph34r:

If I'm not mistaken, only 1 of each Aviar can exist at a time, yes? I'll go ahead and tell everyone that I also got one of the Aviar from the Sabotaged Aviary, since it was impossible for me to put an order in when I didn't even get online until this cycle. Stick, if you got the Twins, please go ahead and send me a PM. If not, then if a player has received a PM this turn, you may want to put their name forward since it's extremely likely that player is the Saboteur.

20 hours ago, Lumgol said:

I requested an aviar and I got ... an "elephant bird" that apparently does nothing :(

Okay so you requested an Aviar on D2? Interesting.

8 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I got the Sak bird C1. And currently me and Ventyl have the PM birds(I did not request it). Sadly they're inactive. :(

Wait. So you're saying you got the Twins from the Aviary Sabotage? If so then Stick is confirmed evil, no?

ED1T: Hm. Probably not, actually. While only 3 birds can be loaned per cycle, the rules don't specify whether only 3 Aviar will be randomly handed out by the Aviary's sabotage. @Randuir / @Young Bard, can either of you tell me if more than 3 players can have an Aviar in this situation?

Edited by Amanuensis

10 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

ED1T: Hm. Probably not, actually. While only 3 birds can be loaned per cycle, the rules don't specify whether only 3 Aviar will be randomly handed out by the Aviary's sabotage. @Randuir / @Young Bard, can either of you tell me if more than 3 players can have an Aviar in this situation?

More than 3 people can receive an Aviar when the Aviary is destroyed.

1 minute ago, Young Bard said:

More than 3 people can receive an Aviar when the Aviary is destroyed.

Very well. So we're aware of 3 players with Aviar (Stick, Lopen and I), and 2 who claim to have regular birds (Lum and Striker). With this in mind I believe it less likely for an eliminator to claim receiving of an Aviar, especially as early in the cycle as Stick, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. I don't really trust Lopen and probably won't until I can find some way to mechanically clear him of last night's sabotage, however.

That all said, Devotary. Instincts are telling me they're a Saboteur, and hopefully, the Engineer themselves.

Okay, that makes things interesting. I was thinking that it’d be pretty easy to figure out who the elim engineer/saboteur was by figuring out who got Aviar. But, now that we know more than 3 Aviar were passed out after the Aviary was sabotaged, that makes it much harder to figure that out.

I don’t think elim!Stick would’ve claimed to have gotten an Aviar so early into the cycle. I think Lopen must be cleared of being the saboteur since I’d figure that if he sabotaged the Aviary, he’d at least get to choose who he gets to PM. Therefore, I think it’s pretty likely that he just randomly got the Kukupa twins (assuming he isn’t taking advantage of the fact that Ventyl is inactive and lying). Aman apparently has a bird too, though he hasn’t said what he got yet. I think it’d best for everyone to go ahead and say whether or not they got an Aviar so we can narrow down our suspect list. Hopefully there aren’t too many other people who got Aviar, because right now our only possible options for the Aviary saboteur are Stick and Aman. 

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, that makes things interesting. I was thinking that it’d be pretty easy to figure out who the elim engineer/saboteur was by figuring out who got Aviar. But, now that we know more than 3 Aviar were passed out after the Aviary was sabotaged, that makes it much harder to figure that out.

I don’t think elim!Stick would’ve claimed to have gotten an Aviar so early into the cycle. I think Lopen must be cleared of being the saboteur since I’d figure that if he sabotaged the Aviary, he’d at least get to choose who he gets to PM. Therefore, I think it’s pretty likely that he just randomly got the Kukupa twins (assuming he isn’t taking advantage of the fact that Ventyl is inactive and lying). Aman apparently has a bird too, though he hasn’t said what he got yet. I think it’d best for everyone to go ahead and say whether or not they got an Aviar so we can narrow down our suspect list. Hopefully there aren’t too many other people who got Aviar, because right now our only possible options for the Aviary saboteur are Stick and Aman. 

I had assumed Lopen used his bird to PM Ventyl with hopes of getting him more involved, but now that you mention it, it makes sense that both of them got one of the twins from the get go. I don't really believe that would impact Lopen's alignment, however.

It's also impossible for me to be the saboteur, since I was offline and thus unable to put in any orders prior to this cycle.

Caught up.

Yes, I did get the Kokerlii I requested on the first cycle, and then had to return it.

It isn't so helpful to be claiming birds we got last cycle since that was when the Aviary was sabotaged and it didn't require an action to get a bird (and apparently more than 3 Aviar were distributed). But, I might as well say anyway that I requested a pair of twins, and got a Shoebill instead.

I'm going to scan through all of the past posts and try to come up with something.

In the meantime, given the precarious balance of the game, I think it's the right idea for people to be giving alibis for sabotage. I'm pretty sure we could lynch one of the eliminators this cycle with some good analysis, but we're going to need a bit more than that if we are going to specifically target the elim engineer, who will end the game soon if nothing changes.

25 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

It's also impossible for me to be the saboteur, since I was offline and thus unable to put in any orders prior to this cycle.

Oh yeah, you didn’t get on until this cycle. So that gives a pretty good alibi for you, and a half decent one for Lopen (assuming my assumption about the rules regarding the Kukupa being randomly assigned is true). For now, I’ll place a tentative vote on Stick. I guess it could be possible that she claimed Aviar early on because what elim would claim Aviar like that so early? I dunno, I just don’t feel comfortable voting on anyone else. There’s only a few people that have been consistently posting, and Stick’s the only one that’s done the most suspicious things in my opinion. (Most of Devotary’s posts have been NAI, which could be indicative of an elim trying to hide, though I’d like to hear her response to Aman’s vote on her before I decide anything about her alignment). 

3 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

@Lumgol: where are you at? You posted once, IIRC. Did you use an action D1 or D2?

I'm here! And like I've said, my action D2 was to request an aviar. My D1 action was to use my role, which I'm hesitant about claiming in thread.

3 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

At this point our best chance of winning is finding the elim!Engineer immediately. As such, I'm going to do my best to pin down people's action claims / alibis.

1. Xino: hasn't posted once. Judging from the last game I played with him, he probably hasn't put any orders in either. Really hoping he's not a village!Engineer.
  2. Lum: where are you at? You posted once, IIRC. Did you use an action D1 or D2?
  3. Striker: for sure confirmed not to sabotage D1. Do you still have your bird, or did it return before the Aviary was sabotaged? Also who have you PM'd?
  4. Ventyl: asked for a pinch hitter, so I'm guessing they haven't put actions in. Probably okay, but if you're an Engineer, vent, please us your ability tonight to repair the Bridge.
  5. Drake: claimed to request the mind-shrouding bird. Did you get it, and did it return? Or do you still have it?
  6. Devotary: hasn't suggested any kind of actions taken AFAIK, and is one of my top candidates for elim!Engineer. Do you have any information you can share that might help me worry less about your alignment?
  7. Mark: hey buddy, what's going on? If you're a village!Engineer we really need you to come back and start repairing.
  8. Shane: I don't think we've ever played before. You said you're not good at reading people, but I'd like to ask you your thoughts on Devotary and Stick. At the moment I'm thinking they're better votes than Burnt.
  9. Stick: I'll be analyzing your posts soon, so be on the lookout for that. There's a good chance I'll be voting for you today.
  10. Alvron: Can you clarify for me which times you'll be online? I want to have at least ten posts of back and forth with you to help me figure out your alignment.
  11. Araris Valerian: In the hospital so not really worth tagging. Doesn't rule him out as a regular elim, but very likely not the elim!Engineer.
  12. Burnt: You claimed to get a bird on D1, but not one with a power. Which one did you request?

¡IMPORTANT!

If you're a village!Engineer who has already half-repaired a ship part, repair the same part again today. If you're a village!Engineer who hasn't repaired a part at all, please start today with the Bridge.

The only living people we can confirm are not the elim engineer are you, Striker, BR, and whoever sent that anonymous message. It's possible BR scanned Drake to check if he was actually shrouded, but we won't know that until next cycle. If Araris is the elim engineer, we won't be seeing a double sabotage today. Lopen presumably didn't sabotage the Aviary(though the lab is still possible), as otherwise he would have gotten a full Aviar and Ventyl/his pinch hitter would call Lopen out on his lies. Everyone else only has excuses of inactivity or going for Aviar(or both, in Lum's case. Hopefully the other inactives will claim actions, though it will be too easy for them to have claimed not to have done anything). Sadly, I am no different, as I requested Sak cycles 1 and 2. I got a sooty albatross instead of a Sak D1, which may well have been Lopen's fault. I do currently have Sak though.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh yeah, you didn’t get on until this cycle. So that gives a pretty good alibi for you, and a half decent one for Lopen (assuming my assumption about the rules regarding the Kukupa being randomly assigned is true). For now, I’ll place a tentative vote on Stick. I guess it could be possible that she claimed Aviar early on because what elim would claim Aviar like that so early? I dunno, I just don’t feel comfortable voting on anyone else. There’s only a few people that have been consistently posting, and Stick’s the only one that’s done the most suspicious things in my opinion. (Most of Devotary’s posts have been NAI, which could be indicative of an elim trying to hide, though I’d like to hear her response to Aman’s vote on her before I decide anything about her alignment). 

I didn't request an Aviar at all. It was just completely random apparently. So I don't have an alibi for this Cycle. Really, claiming to get an Aviar or even posting an anonymous message doesn't completely clear someone, as an elim teammate could have done it, and then a different elim(for example, an engineer who needs to be protected) could claim that action in their place without fear of being called out. I believe the claims made so far, but I'd argue caution about making assumptions from this action tracking.

I also just got clarification that asking to go to the hospital is not an action. Not sure if that's relevant, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Edit: disclaimer - not sure I believe Devotary's claim

Edited by TheMightyLopen

4 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I didn't request an Aviar at all. It was just completely random apparently. So I don't have an alibi for this Cycle. Really, claiming to get an Aviar or even posting an anonymous message doesn't completely clear someone, as an elim teammate could have done it, and then a different elim(for example, an engineer who needs to be protected) could claim that action in their place without fear of being called out. I believe the claims made so far, but I'd argue caution about making assumptions from this action tracking.

I also just got clarification that asking to go to the hospital is not an action. Not sure if that's relevant, but I thought I'd share it anyway

Devotary already touched on this, but if you had received the Kukupa twins after sabotaging the Aviary, you presumably would’ve gotten both of them instead of them being randomly assigned to you and Ventyl. So therefore, since they were randomly assigned to you two, you can’t be the saboteur of the Aviary. There’s nothing preventing you from being the saboteur of the Lab, though, I will admit that. 

10 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Sadly, I am no different, as I requested Sak cycles 1 and 2. I got a sooty albatross instead of a Sak D1, which may well have been Lopen's fault. I do currently have Sak though.

I’m just curious, why would you have requested Sak? I guess I could understand being afraid of getting hospitalized early on because of your reputation, but Sak is generally a risky bird to go for as a villager. I think most people would see Sak as having more use for the elims, but maybe it’d be useful for a power role like the Doctor, Trapper, or even a village engineer. 

8 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

@Randuir / @Young Bard: Can a Biologist self-target? If a Biologist used their power on D1, would they learn if anyone interacted with them on D1?

The biologist ability is on a delay (so they'd see everything interacting with them D1 when using the ability D2). But yes, they could self-target.

3 minutes ago, Randuir said:

The biologist ability is on a delay (so they'd see everything interacting with them D1 when using the ability D2). But yes, they could self-target.

Thank you. I just realized that BR being hospitalized proves she wasnt the one who wrote the anonymous message, so my theory there was null from the start anyway.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

I’m just curious, why would you have requested Sak? I guess I could understand being afraid of getting hospitalized early on because of your reputation, but Sak is generally a risky bird to go for as a villager. I think most people would see Sak as having more use for the elims, but maybe it’d be useful for a power role like the Doctor, Trapper, or even a village engineer. 

I'm not really a PM person, and Kokerlii isn't particularly useful except to make it more difficult for the elims to get one. So I went for Sak, who has the potential to be useful if the elims ever decide to attack someone.