AonEne

Shana looked up when Rob entered the room together with Ashlyn. Both were dripping wet and she shuddered inwardly at the thought that they had been swimming. Rob. She had hoped to ask regarding the candles, but instead she stayed quiet. Disturb him and Ashlyn felt wrong, she could always take care of the candles herself.

"Do you still need help cooking?" She asked Cassie. "Otherwise we only need to decorate, then we're done."

@AonEne

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, AonEne said:

“Uh...” Cass looked at Evelyn.

"I should be good without help for a while, since the tortillas were the main things I needed help with. You can go ahead and help with the decorating if you want." Evelyn took the drained cans from Edwin and emptied them into a large bowl, beginning work on the black bean salad.

3 hours ago, AonEne said:

She gave Rob a speculative look. 

Rob looked blankly back at her.

“Tortillas,” he said. “And decorating? Is there some special event happening?”

Maybe someone’s birthday he’d forgotten. It was hard keeping track of so many housemates. His birthday was easy and simple, just like all other parts of him. 1st of January. If there was any such thing as a ‘default setting’ for people, it would be Rob.

Edited by I think I am here.

Shana nodded.

"Alright. Then I'm off spreading the candles." She grinned at them, put some more flowers down next to the table and took the bag with the candles." Looking at James she added. "I've got no real plan for the decorations, as long as it looks good at the end, we should be fine." When Rob spoke up as well, she smiled at him. "Jace and Axe are getting married. We host their party today." She explained, because she felt like it would be impolite to rush off again, with the question in the room. "Cassie can fill you two in on the details."

She gave them a quick wave and almost hastily left the kitchen again, taking the candles with her. Something was different about Rob, and later. First the party, then she could try to figure out her feelings towards Ashlyn. Taking her time she spread them on the tables, realized that they hadn't any tablecloth, and decided to look for some later. She made sure to leave some smaller candles on the stairs leading to their rooms to be able to illuminate the staircase later at night as well, in case somebody needed something from their room. She returned to their dining checked the candles there again, back to the living room, checked the candles there and then there was the point when she had no excuse to continue to avoid the last candles in her bag. She left the house, saw the wet streaks on the floor Rob and Ashlyn had left and for a moment she considered to turn around, leave it be. But it was Jace wedding day. And at night the candles would look beautiful on the water.

It was quiet outside, all were doing things, or were inside and so she stood there, looked at the mirror like surface of the pool. She should ask for help, reveal to someone else that she was scared of this, that the pool seemed like a monster to her, ready to grab her, to drag her down. She should. But Cassie had enough troubles, she'd decided against bothering James with her issues, Ben was asleep and Rob, Rob was busy.

Slowly she unpacked the first swimming candles and walked over to the water. One step after the other, her eyes never left the even surface, only disturbed by small ripples when the wind gently pushed the water around. It looked peaceful. Peaceful like a plant waiting for an insect. Peaceful like a curse ready to destroy her. It looked evil. Her hands started to shake when she neared to water, when she realized that she was indeed alone, that nobody would be able to help her out of the water if she slipped. Her mind screamed at her to run, to flee, instead she made her way to the ladder leading down into it. She might be able to climb out of the pool again using the ladder. If she managed to get back to the ladder. If she didn't drown just whereever she landed. At some point she just stood there, frozen in her place, heart beating as if it was about to burst any moment. Water. She tried to convince herself that nothing could happen, she only had to kneel down next to the water, and place the candles in there. No pushing them to the middle, no spreading them evenly. Just get them into the water. Slowly she moved forward until her hand could reach  the ladder, held on to it in a death grip. Her throat constricted when she looked at the clear, huge amount of water, at the blue tiles beneath the surface. Slowly, carefully she knelt down, took a candle in her freehand and reached out for the surface. She made sure to keep her weight on the solid ground, she could do this, she was strong. She was the one fighting for them. She had to be strong. Her fingers touched the water and she jerked back, remembered how it had closed around her, how it had filled her nose and mouth. Her fingers opened, let go of the candle when she fled, stumbled away from the pool, candles scattering on the ground. Shaking she continued to moved away, until she was pressed against the wall of the house. Breath, she tried to calm herself, but when she inhaled, she felt something wet around her nose and panic surged. Instinctively she reached for her throat, nothing, it was dry, her nose, wet. Tears. She wiped them away, forced herself to take another breath. It worked. Easily. It had only been a tear. Shaking she sat down in front of the wall, stared at the pool. She couldn't do it. It was as easy as that. She just... couldn't.

Edited by Sorana
cut my post in half, it was too long

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

First the party, then she could try to figure out her feelings towards Ashlyn

I'm guessing this is a typo, BUT

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Are you trying to say something Sorana?

Ashlyn waves back, then frowns at her wrist and the simple red band that was around it that hadn't been there before. Dropping her arm she decided to leave that for later. 

"Preferably not in the middle of the kitchen." She says to the person she assumed was Doc.

@Dr. Dapper

2 minutes ago, Blessing of Potency said:

Wait! ITS NOT A TYPO

Alright, here you are. It will change, I promise.

She sat there for a while, fear and anger at herself fighting each other in her chest. Her fists were clenched and she longed to scream, to go to the training room and hack something to pieces, but she forced herself to stay here. It was Jace wedding. For once she had to put her own stuff back, had to focus on making this day the best in his life. Everything else she could deal with later.
She took out her mobile and glanced at it - they already had taken long, too long if they - she paused, then put it down on the ground, hugged her knees. He hadn't invited her to his wedding. He had only asked her to organize the party, but the wedding itself - she wasn't welcome there. She had only assumed that she would be there when they said yes, had worried about a dress, but she didn't even need a dress. It was only the party, no watching their promise. Taking a picture of them exchanging rings. She felt stupid for assuming that Jace even wanted her there, and with the embarrassment came more anger, anger that pooled in her stomach like molten stone. It was his day, why should he want for her to be there. It wasn't like she was family. She was just - a friend.

She buried her face against her knees. She felt shaken, yearned for someone to talk to, to take up some of their time and just talk to them. To disturb Ben was out of question and all the others - the one person she wanted to talk to, because he just looked at her and maybe nodded and then said a single line that calmed her down was busy, with Ashlyn. Shana knew she should be happy for him, that it was her duty as a friend to be happy for him. He was her best friend, she had even tried to get them to spend time together. It should be easy, shouldn’t it? But if she was honest with herself, she was envious. That Ashlyn had changed him so easily. That the moment she had shown up, Shana had stopped existing for him. He had promised to train with her, but he hadn’t even looked her way when the two of them entered the kitchen. She was dramatizing, knew that she was, knew that it was great that Rob had found someone who seemed to honestly liked him. It would be logical to be happy for him. But logic and Shana had never mixed that well. Mostly she was angry right now. So angry that she smashed her fist against the ground until it hurt. Angry because it was easier to be furious, than to face the fact that she was scared of their pool, easier to admit that she regarded Ashlyn as an intruder. It had been impolite not to offer her some cloths, but she had stayed silent. Because she wasn’t sure how she would phrase it, if she could stand talking to her. Her anger flared when she hated herself for being petty and mean, when she knew that her behaviour was wrong. She was supposed to be a hero, she was supposed to be strong and to save all of their lives and like a knight in a story step back one the fighting was done.

But she was no knight. She was no hero and most certainly she wasn’t one to step back demurly. She was like fire. She burned, changed, laughed and then cried, hated and then loved. And here and right now, she wished she would be like James, controlled but friendly, always with a smile on his lips. Never freaking out, while she was over the top all the time. He had talked to Cass and he had solved it, while she had panicked.

James, Cass, Evelyn, Doc, Edwin, so many names so many faces and they all were able to control themselves. All of them would laugh at putting some candles into a swimming pool. None of them simply killed, they all had tried to solve the situation another way. Only she had taken a knife and killed them. She was a monster, not even able to be happy for her friend for finding a girlfriend, hurt because another one didn’t invite her to his wedding, and she was responsible for a third one to kill her spren.

"Void take you." she hissed at the candles and wiped her face clean. Then she headed back to the living room, started to search for table cloths. Most were in the kitchen - if she was lucky she didn’t meet someone, she could seethe in her fury, in her envy and just be in a bad mood for a while. She had promised a party, she would deliver a party. It was something she could do. And when they all dressed up - she could always sit on her tree and hope nobody checked up there. She definitely wouldn’t attend a wedding party in a pair of dirty jeans. A lie. But for now she went with it, imagined herself sitting alone on her tree, while the rest partied. Maybe they would search for her. But no, there was no need to.

Edited by Sorana

controlled by their emotions

13 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Ow. That hurt to read Sora.

I take that as a compliment. ^_^

Shana is so much fun to write, I have so few characters that are as much controlled by their emotions as she is.

Edited by Sorana

I feel the same... Wow... you're incredible, Sorana. She is very well written. :D

Jace just took Ax to the Justice of Peace and signed a paper. They don't even have rings for eachother. I did set something up for Shana- Ene and Ax know about it. If she does go to get tree, he'll try to find her. I'm really excited for the party now... 

Edited by ShadowLord_Lith

Thank you!!!

I'm not sure if she will. I picture Shana as easily angry, but as easily calm again. And she'd never hurt Jace, but I never know with her. She surprises me regularly.

(I don't know if anybody here remembers, but Shana's room has a tree in front of her window to climb out of the room.)

Holy crap. Sorana, that was sad. :P I feel so awful for Shana. 

Fill them in on the details? I didn’t know we even had details. “Um, yeah, we’re doing all this for their wedding. It’s gonna be great. Hopefully.” She glanced at James. “What else do we need to decorate? What can I help out with?” 

A wedding, between Jason and Ax. Today.

Rob thought that was very cool. He wanted to ask how he could help in organising, but everybody seemed to already have everything handled. He felt a stab of guilt at not knowing the event sooner, so he could have thought something nice or creative to present at the wedding. But creativity was never Rob’s strong suit anyway.

“Well, I guess you and Doc can talk,” he said to Ashlyn. “I’ll be on my way. Have fun.”

He took one step out of the kitchen, unsure what to do now that Ashlyn was talking to Doc and everyone else was busy organising the wedding. Maybe he could start working on a wedding gift? Great idea, he thought as he sat on the couch, took out his phone and began looking on Pinterest. He usually used Pinterest for cat photos, but this time it was to get ideas for what he could make as a present, as he was still the creative equivalent of an empty bucket.

5 hours ago, AonEne said:

Fill them in on the details? I didn’t know we even had details. “Um, yeah, we’re doing all this for their wedding. It’s gonna be great. Hopefully.” She glanced at James. “What else do we need to decorate? What can I help out with?” 

James breathed a sigh of relief at Cassie's request. "Thank goodness you asked- We need to set up these candles and flowers, but I've got no eye for mass decoration" He admitted, shrugging.