Power Level Reform

kenod

Era Three Proposals   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt Kenod's Laws (link in OP)? (Yes: check box beside each you want adopted. No, or if you want any adjustments made: don't check box.)

• Law of Community Approval
    • Law of Consequences
    • Law of Proportional Weaknesses
    • Law of Inverse Power Morality Correlation (the Mraize Addendum)
    • I would not like to adopt any of these laws
  2. 2. Would you like to adopt Kenod's Law of Power Increase?

• Yes, as it is currently written.
    • Yes, in principle. But it needs adjustment.
    • No.
    • No opinion.
  3. 3. Would you like a points system to be used to quantify how powerful characters are when they are being approved? (Note: mods may still use their discretion)

• Yes, for character creation. (RPers consciously reference list when making characters)
    • Yes, for analysis. (May be used by mods to help determine if characters are too OP, but isn't advertised)
    • No, I prefer our current system
    • No opinion.

My preferred method for comparing superheroes/characters/magicians is to do two mental matchups. The first is the standard test where you pit them against enemies and try and guess how many they could defeat. The second is a test where the subject is dropped in the desolate wilderness and told to survive for as long as they can. That way the people with the power to create, not just destroy, get their time to shine. 

To be clear, I'm not recommending we use this system. It's only good for theoretical comparisons when you get bored. 

4 hours ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

That way the people with the power to create, not just destroy, get their time to shine. 

And then you have characters that fail in both situations...

But yes, it's a good way to try to compare different typesof characters.

The combat potential on a full feruchemist is pretty powerful. Not to brag, but Feruchemist Mace lasted a whole two minutes against Rhazien in a duel once. And the potential of combining zincminds and copperminds is great as well.

I'd allow it, but I'd like something that ensures they don't get involved in combat, or put themselves in positions where they make people want to fight them. Lack of combat training isn't enough, it would have to be a passivity promise or something similar. The ideal setup would be something like the DA thread, where they use powerful stuff all the time, but it's contained so it rarely impacts other RPers. It would probably be best if this character isn't your main, and you RP them like Nohadon does Devaan (keeps them in their thread, interacting with people who specifically come to meet with him). 

Hey, it's Bit here, and I've been thinking about our power level reform in context of other RPGs and fighting games. In Pokémon, characters often receive nerfs and buffs to balance characters. The addition of new attack types, options, and utilities can help a character, and the removal of moves and weakening abilities can hurt them. 

"Broken" characters are defined as characters that are so utterly overpowered that all other are irrelevant in comparison. 

So, I figured out a tier list for abilities in the Alleyverse. It excludes abilities from WoT and WH40K because I don't think I understand them well enough to judge them fairly.

Same tier list ranking as in Super Smash Bros.

SS Tier: Broken

Fullborn, Eighth Heightening and above, certain uses of Elantrians, and any god entity is placed in this tier. Combinations of many weaker powers that make their abilities comparable in power levels to one of these is SS tier as well, such as most Compounders (sans Electrum, Copper, Bronze, Tin, Aluminum, Cadmium, and Bendalloy)

S Tier: Overpowered

Overpowered characters are those that exceed the limits of our tentative point system by any margin but still can't compare to those in SS tier. The remainder of Compounders, the Sixth Heightening up to the Eighth, most uses of Elantrians, Sand Masters or Aether users with massive power, and Radiants bearing other abilities in addition to their KR powers fit in here. And Dakhor Monks.

A Tier: The "Sweetspot"

Abilities in this tier are just at the boundary between OP and average. Adding additional abilities on to a character with an ability hailing from the sweetspot makes a character S tier. 

Mistborn, Feruchemists, many Twinborn, the Fifth Heightening, Nightwatcher Boons and Banes, and most Selish powers fit here. Also, Shardblades and Plate.

B Tier: Average

The RP would be most balanced if all characters were in this category. Less powerful Twinborn, more powerful Mistings and Ferrings, the Fourth and Third Heightenings fill this category.

C Tier: Underpowered

Abilities, or the absense thereof, weaker than the average tier fit here.

Now, moving onto the nerfs and buffs part. Buffs are a far smaller problem in our RP because so few characters are underpowered. Usually, simply developing the character by giving them new Investiture buffs a character. Nerfs are trickier. To effectively nerf a character without killing them off, there are several ways. 

1. Put a limit on ability usage or add another weakness.

2. Literally remove abilities.

3. Use an abstract and difficult to properly execute method, changing a character through a social role play interaction. 

This topic is a rough draft right now, but I hope to improve it. Also, as a side note, proportional weaknesses may lower the tier of a character to a lower one.

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

Ah, Bit, we have a thread for this. @Voidus @Archer @Lord Meeker @Kidpen, could one of you move this?

Moving threads or posts is beyond my capabilities. EDIT: So that's how you do it. Thanks Voidus. Apparently I still have a lot to learn about modding. :lol:

These ideas (which are great, by the way) would be best put in the Power Level Reform thread. That's where we've been discussing how to regulate this kind of thing. Based on your response to Ark's suggestion, BB, I'm guessing you meant this more as a guide thread to teach people how to do nerfing and buffing. Even so, I think it should be contributed to the brainstorming so they can be added to the Guide for E3, rather than risk presenting conflicting advice. We need consensus and a system in place before making posts like this. For the record, we've been looking at quantifying power levels by assigning every available power a numerical value, then subtracting weaknesses' points from that. You're welcome to add your input on that, I see you've already placed a few power levels at different amounts in a way. 

Edited by Archer