The Chat Thread

Archer

On 8/5/2019 at 0:05 AM, MetaTerminal said:

One thing we could do is merge the different plot threads into one locked one after the fact (ie when people stop posting well and truly in the old threads, maybe after a week), and link in the OP to which page has which section. So if you know you have to read over Rivers of Blood, you know where that begins and ends. That cleans up the thread count a little. (We could also do that with old plotlines as well, possibly. But I’d be concerned if that... disrupts things.)

I don't like that idea, missed that part of the post.

I feel like it's better to seperate it, so you can look at the timeline. "oh, which threads happened back then?" "oh, A Shadowed Dawn, Trader's Union, and Sentinels." (no that isn't accurate)

Also, I just like keeping it as separate threads.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:05 AM, MetaTerminal said:

This is mostly for reading up on old threads, I have yet to participate in main plot - but I find it far easier to read through four or so 30-page threads than a 100 or 120+ page thread.

I don't think there's any difference - you're reading the same amount either way, aren't you?

16 hours ago, RayOfSunshine said:

I feel like it's better to seperate it, so you can look at the timeline. "oh, which threads happened back then?" "oh, A Shadowed Dawn, Trader's Union, and Sentinels." (no that isn't accurate)

Also, I just like keeping it as separate threads.

If they do stay as separate threads, which I still don't like, then I agree that they should stay separate the whole time. Especially the old stuff, cause it'd disrupt things. I think the newer stuff could be easily condensed and not lose what you're talking about, though, Ark.

I realize that this would be complete madness but having a "main plot thread" at all isn't my ideal setup. When you have a specific thread set up for the main plot, everyone is sort of stuck there and it's harder to integrate all the other threads. But also, it would make everything even more confusing and harder to keep track of.  But still, it would make the story feel more like it's saturating the entire world.

Edit: After a few hours I realize that my idea is rather a bad one so please disregard this :P 

Edited by ZincAboutIt
came to my senses

6 hours ago, AonEne said:

I don't think there's any difference - you're reading the same amount either way, aren't you?

If they do stay as separate threads, which I still don't like, then I agree that they should stay separate the whole time. Especially the old stuff, cause it'd disrupt things. I think the newer stuff could be easily condensed and not lose what you're talking about, though, Ark.

Would you rather read a book with one long extended chapter, or about twenty shorter ones? A show with one eight-hour episode, or eight hour-long ones? 

Separating things out allows for time jumps, marked changes, advances in the plot. We can more easily divide our stories and our attention to them. We can scan down the thread list and say, ‘I have a general understanding of the progression of the plot.’ With one long thread, everything gets... muddled. I wouldn’t want to read The Longest Thread all the way through, but I might read all the threads in here, one by one. It’s the same amount, more or less, but because it’s divided up, it’s easier to understand. (I also don’t quite understand how Zinc found it confusing - could you elaborate on that?)

We shouldn’t mess with old threads, I agree.

23 minutes ago, MetaTerminal said:

(I also don’t quite understand how Zinc found it confusing - could you elaborate on that?)

I think it might just be the way in which I enjoy consuming stories. Having to go look for all the parts of old plots and stitch them up was confusing to me. I realize that others prefer it another way. Honestly, I don't care enough to make any significant case for changing anything. It's worth noting that I'd absolutely rather watch one 8-hour-long episode of something than 8 one-hour-long episode. So perhaps I'm just an outlier. 

14 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

Would you rather read a book with one long extended chapter, or about twenty shorter ones? A show with one eight-hour episode, or eight hour-long ones?

For the first example I'd have no preference, and for the second probably the latter option.

Either way, regardless of whether we choose to combine threads or not, I'm still championing the not-locking-them thing. And unlocking the ones that've already been locked.

17 hours ago, AonEne said:

For the first example I'd have no preference, and for the second probably the latter option.

Either way, regardless of whether we choose to combine threads or not, I'm still championing the not-locking-them thing. And unlocking the ones that've already been locked.

Why?

We've already seen that what happens is "last post" wars.

On top of that, with the next thread being a continuation, everything transfers over immediately. So why would we need to unlock the old ones? Sure, don't lock new ones. But unlocking old ones, far back in timeline, is stupid.

'Last post' wars can be easily prevented by locking threads, but there are other ways to stop them. If people don't act in a responsible nature, mod intervention can be done in other (albeit more time consuming and extreme) ways, including conversations, ‘deletions’, and posting bans.

On the mod end of things, it's also a simple process to schedule thread lockings, making them un/lock at pre-programmed dates and times. If there’s a problem, a thread can be locked for a week, then automatically unlocked once people have forgotten about it.

The reason Meeker started locking MPs, I think, is that in the case of main plot threads, more so than in location ones, thread necroing messes with the RP's continuity. When they're locked, no one can try to restart something from ‘the past’, and no one can bring them back to the front page of the subforum and make them become listed out-of-order. However, by enforcing no-necro rules and clearly designating the threads as being finished (for example, by saying so in the title), we could probably achieve the same result. Perhaps only the current MP thread could have a featured tag designation indicating its nature, and the others could have normal tags? (I’m referring to the yellow boxes that appear beside titles. If there’s a style-guide, those could be used quite effectively to advertise the appropriate MP thread over its predecessors.)

On 8/6/2019 at 0:19 AM, Invocation said:

I like this idea! Letting everyone wrap up their conversations in the old one before moving to the next one

Whether we lock threads or not, I’m inclined to just second Invo’s sentiment here as being the most important consideration. While it’s true that the creator of the threads does have some responsibility to keep the plot moving along in an organized and prompt fashion, I fear that all too often, a few people finish up, then don’t wait for the others involved in the plot to end what they’re doing before moving on. Getting locked out sucks, and we should avoid doing that to people. I suggest that, if threads are to be locked, it should be announced as far in advance as is reasonably possible, then not done until all participants indicate OOC that they’re ready to continue on to the next stage. Don’t even make a new thread until everyone’s wrapped up. It will mean that some people have to wait a few days before continuing RPing, but it will be worth the wait. Sometimes taking a break is a good idea anyway, to take stock and discuss how things are going. And if you really want to get the OP of the next thread posted, make it, then lock that until the time comes to restart.

Edited by Archer

12 hours ago, RayOfSunshine said:

Why?

On top of that, with the next thread being a continuation, everything transfers over immediately. So why would we need to unlock the old ones? Sure, don't lock new ones. But unlocking old ones, far back in timeline, is stupid.

Why what?

So you can quote them, which is a very useful function. (Also, please don't call people's ideas stupid unless they're being rude. Just a suggestion. Diplomacy is a thing.)

1 hour ago, Archer said:

On the mod end of things, it's also a simple process to schedule thread lockings, making them un/lock at pre-programmed dates and times. If there’s a problem, a thread can be locked for a week, then automatically unlocked once people have forgotten about it.

Perhaps only the current MP thread could have a featured tag designation indicating its nature, and the others could have normal tags?

I suggest that, if threads are to be locked, it should be announced as far in advance as is reasonably possible, then not done until all participants indicate OOC that they’re ready to continue on to the next stage. Don’t even make a new thread until everyone’s wrapped up.

I did not know that, that's not a bad idea.

I agree with both of these, especially the second.

10 hours ago, AonEne said:

So you can quote them, which is a very useful function. (Also, please don't call people's ideas stupid unless they're being rude. Just a suggestion. Diplomacy is a thing.)

12 hours ago, Archer said:

I am aware of diplomacy.

But that's not exactly something I take care to do.

I'm still trying to work on my social skills <_<

On 8/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, RayOfSunshine said:

I am aware of diplomacy.

But that's not exactly something I take care to do.

I'm still trying to work on my social skills <_<

Well, I wish you good luck, then, in the sincerest of ways. I’m not being sarcastic, in case it sounds like that. 

Should we make a poll for this...? @Voidus @other alleymods

Edited by AonEne

Posting here so this doesn't get lost in the PM string.

I've locked my RP Doodles Gallery to invite-only, currently deciding whether or not to continue hosting my content here on the Shard or not and I'd like to have a bit more control over it in the meantime. If you want access just PM me, if not then feel free to disregard this. Cheers :]

Edit: if I've drawn a character of yours you will be on the view list automatically

Edited by ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

I've locked my RP Doodles Gallery to invite-only, currently deciding whether or not to continue hosting my content here on the Shard or not and I'd like to have a bit more control over it in the meantime. If you want access just PM me, if not then feel free to disregard this. Cheers :]

Edit: if I've drawn a character of yours you will be on the view list automatically

Can I get on the list please...

Wait, why?

@ZincAboutIt, I'm going to create an Alleyverse art thread soon. Will that help?

2 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Zinc, I would like to also be added, your art is amaazing!

Hello =)

so we started the main plot era 4 discussion in the pm, but I figured the thread would be better.

What I would like to see: whoever runs the pots is open for ideas, allowes the original plotline to be changed by the actions of the characters.

I'd prefer a plot that offers fighting, for those that like to write a fight, but also is interesting for non-fighting-focused characters (like most of mine).

Just so that it doesn't get lost:

The current idea (and I lost track somewhere, because it got incredibly complicated with physics and whatever) was, that the world ends up out of balance and we need to find a way to sort it. Some fighting, lots of room for other characters. I'm not 100% sure if it will work, and who would be willing to run it, keep track of things. Like I said it got a tad complicated at one point, but I think we can break it down. Invo, Xino can you help and sum it up in a few lines?

@Invocation

@xinoehp512

If there any other ideas, we can discuss them as well of course. That's just where we stopped the discussion the last time and I figured we should bring it on the table again.

Additionally I know of two side plots being planned right now. The GB plot (open for everybody) and another one, I forgot, but I'm pretty sure there was something else. Sorry for that!

9 minutes ago, Sorana said:

The current idea (and I lost track somewhere, because it got incredibly complicated with physics and whatever) was, that the world ends up out of balance and we need to find a way to sort it. Some fighting, lots of room for other characters. I'm not 100% sure if it will work, and who would be willing to run it, keep track of things. Like I said it got a tad complicated at one point, but I think we can break it down. Invo, Xino can you help and sum it up in a few lines?

I thought we weren't doing that anymore due to the similarities with Fatebreaker's Era 5 stuff. Very possible I was mistaken, though.

The long and short of that plan was that the universe is ripping and various shenanigans are happening with spatial and gravitational distortion as a result of stress on the Worldspike and its anchoring effect. How the characters react will be pretty free, no permanent-roadblock giant armies threatening or anything because this is less of someone trying to do something and more a natural effect of the strain on a Hemalurgic spike. It would be very loose, mostly on a unique effect per character basis that everyone is free to RP their own way, but with some larger stuff in a collated thread. 

I might have forgotten something, that's always possible, so if anyone that was in the PM sees something I forgot just add it on or let me know!

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

Dorry, in that case.

Spoiler

Dory-white.jpg.ad663ebdb7a740a17a53dd16d6251a22.jpg

Actually though, to be productive, I also believe that @AonEne and @Blessing of Potency had some kind of idea for Era 4, and I for one would like to hear about it so we're all on the same page with all of our Era plot options.

Edited by ZincAboutIt
actual productive content :p

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

I thought we weren't doing that anymore due to the similarities with Fatebreaker's Era 5 stuff. Very possible I was mistaken, though.

The long and short of that plan was that the universe is ripping and various shenanigans are happening with spatial and gravitational distortion as a result of stress on the Worldspike and its anchoring effect. How the characters react will be pretty free, no permanent-roadblock giant armies threatening or anything because this is less of someone trying to do something and more a natural effect of the strain on a Hemalurgic spike. It would be very loose, mostly on a unique effect per character basis that everyone is free to RP their own way, but with some larger stuff in a collated thread. 

I might have forgotten something, that's always possible, so if anyone that was in the PM sees something I forgot just add it on or let me know!

I don't know, we might be able to use it to some degree if we tweak it a bit, not as a main plot but as the side-effects of the Stranger working on the Worldspike. It would give a good way for giving people hints something is going on, and would allow people to interact with what's going on to some degree.

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

What I would like to see: whoever runs the plots is open for ideas, allows the original plotline to be changed by the actions of the characters.

I'd prefer a plot that offers fighting, for those that like to write a fight, but also is interesting for non-fighting-focused characters (like most of mine).

Agreed.

Actually though, to be productive, I also believe that @AonEne and @Blessing of Potency had some kind of idea for Era 4, and I for one would like to hear about it so we're all on the same page with all of our Era plot options.

@Blessing of Potency

1 hour ago, kenod said:

I don't know, we might be able to use it to some degree if we tweak it a bit, not as a main plot but as the side-effects of the Stranger working on the Worldspike. It would give a good way for giving people hints something is going on, and would allow people to interact with what's going on to some degree.

I like the concept of combining this with Fatebreaker's plot, though considering the end result of it, we might want to tone down the before-effects so it's still shocking when the universe resets.

Edited by AonEne

16 hours ago, kenod said:

14 hours ago, AonEne said:

I like the concept of combining this with Fatebreaker's plot, though considering the end result of it, we might want to tone down the before-effects so it's still shocking when the universe resets.

Agreed on both these accounts. I think that this could be a really interesting side-plot thing this next Era, especially for characters that are scholars, spies, or otherwise not combat-focused, more observation-focused. Also, since it would be so free-form, each person who wanted to interact with and explore this could create their own side-effects, and no one would be stuck waiting on another to create something cool to interact with. 

However, and I could be wrong here, but I don't actually think it's supposed to be shocking when the universe resets, at least not initially. I was under the impression that it would seem totally normal - it's only when things begin breaking down that you get the internal/external turmoil of two versions of the universe vying for existence.