The Chat Thread

Archer

Ok. 

I actually thought of a setting that might work for it, if you guys wanted suggestions. 

The idea is that they are in an inter dimensional waiting room in the alleys and there is a helper there who can put them into situations that they want to be in, so you can interact in the waiting room with others, or you can enter simulations with them to test or weaknesses or voice. 

There would need to be a few rules governing good behavior for characters, because OP characters could come in and dominate everything. 

4 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

The idea is that they are in an inter dimensional waiting room in the alleys and there is a helper there who can put them into situations that they want to be in, so you can interact in the waiting room with others, or you can enter simulations with them to test or weaknesses or voice. 

That was a similar thing to I was thinking of.

4 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

There would need to be a few rules governing good behavior for characters, because OP characters could come in and dominate everything. 

I was thinking a separate thread entirely for the OP characters.

5 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Would it be non-canon? That seems like it would work better for this sort of setting.

Maybe semi-canon. Is that a thing? Like non-canon as far as the characters are aware, but it could also help people find a thread for their character to be first introduced into.

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Could you explain a bit more? I don't think I quite get it.

Like people could weigh in on where a certain character might fit in for the current plots of the various threads based on what happens there, and then the person who made the character can choose if that's actually what they want to do or not, and along the way, people can figure out if the character is actually what they want it to be or not.

What about the house scenes thread? It's like the CDS thread but meant for vharacters interacting with each other in a secluded environment. To me it was super helpful to rp some character development without having to worry about someone else crashing the scene.

19 minutes ago, Sorana said:

What about the house scenes thread? It's like the CDS thread but meant for vharacters interacting with each other in a secluded environment. To me it was super helpful to rp some character development without having to worry about someone else crashing the scene.

That still is canon, this would be before even character approval, though approved characters could still enter, and completely non canon. 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, MacThorstenson said:

That still is canon, this would be before even character approval, though approved characters could still enter, and completely non canon. 

I like this. Does this mean that I could technically have one of my own characters in two places at once, since the test-lab thread would be non canon? If so, it could be really useful to see which types of characters the new character does best with, how they vibe with any number of the current cast, etc., and then we wouldn't have to worry about creating new characters or NPC's that exclusively live in the non canon thread.

1 hour ago, Grey Knight said:

Right. MCU aside, who’d be interested in moving the Alleyverse RP to a new area of the world after this Bureau of Villainy thing gets done? Away from the Alleycity, more towards the frontiers where all kinds of magics and weird stuff collide. It could be an opportunity to more deeply explore the effects of things like the Alleystorm and the eldritch abominations that escaped a while back.

1 hour ago, Ark's Boyfriend said:

Hmmmm I'd be interested.

1 hour ago, Ax's Boyfriend said:

That seems unlikely.

All the guilds have bases in the Alleycity. Some guilds are only in the Alleycity. We have too much focused there for the Alleycity to stop.

We also already have plans for the next main plot.

I would like some sort of thread that explores that more, but it would have to be set up really well, or it would just die out like the Other Side of the World plot did.

1 hour ago, Emperor Stick said:

Sounds interesting.

To be honest, only the Great Guilds would be fine in this situation.

Or CotW, which is in the middle of nowhere.

I just realized my boyfriend is on. Hi, boyfriend!

A different proposal of mine, unrelated.

I really think we need another longer time skip. Ten to twenty years.

We would extend the era by another month or two after Main Plot is finished, so people could wrap up their stuff, but we need to have a timeskip, for all sorts of reasons.

The biggest is AV children. At this rate we'll get to RP them in... seven IRL years. Whooo.

The second is a refreshment of characters. It's just fun.

The third is that the AV needs some time to develop, evolve, reasonably. Guilds can fix there systems, new guilds can emerge and grow, characters can develop if they're younger, older characters can deal with aging issues.

It just seems very helpful.

Therefore I want to try and get support for this skip.

Tena will be pissed that she's old, but sure.

That's two. Plus Woodrack and Clyde have said IRL it's a good idea (I think)

I already told you I supported this, by the way. But the in-between Eras thread will be long as heck.

1 hour ago, Emperor Stick said:

What about the Scadrial AV thread? A timeskip could really mess that up.

I mean no offense when I say this, but I’d like a break from main plots in general. I want some time to do small-scale RP, not to nuke the AlleyCity again.

I mean, there’s no reason we can’t have both.

But you had so much fun the first time!

I do think that we need to RP the inner workings of the guilds right now, though. The guilds are pretty poorly developed IC.

Well, yes. But those were extenuating circumstances. Doing it now would just be a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

Ah, yes, the times when civilians meant nothing to our RAMPAGES OF ELDRITCH ABOMINATIONS AND BLOOD AND DEATH MUAHAHAHAHA

8 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I would.

The die-out happened for several reasons, mostly because I fizzled out over it. If possible, I would like to resuscitate what I have.

I approve of this.

(From the PM, posting here so these don't get lost)

As it is about plots: me and some others had the idea of a plot set in Oasis City. No nuking, something smaller. Characters would be Ghostbloods. We'd like to give everybody the possibility to participate, so those that aren't part of the guild can either use a PC or an NPC (which we'll treat like a PC). The only thing we'd like to ask is, that these GB NPCs don't start another war with some other guild and that you rp them respectfully.

The idea is centered around the whole "moving planning to IC", because we thought, that all guilds have a cool background, that could be used for plots.

For the plot itself, we have a rough outline (which we'll share with anybody interested). As it works well to have a planning pm and a rp thread (see scadrial, sewer system), we'd like to do it like this. Those that want to be surprised can skip the pm, those that want to help planning can do that as well.

What do you think in general?

I hadn’t weighed in earlier, and I have an excess of hats (a reference that might make sense to one of you) so here’s one I’ll throw in the ring.

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

Right. MCU aside, who’d be interested in moving the Alleyverse RP to a new area of the world after this Bureau of Villainy thing gets done? Away from the Alleycity, more towards the frontiers where all kinds of magics and weird stuff collide. It could be an opportunity to more deeply explore the effects of things like the Alleystorm and the eldritch abominations that escaped a while back.

I think that we should have both. Alleycity for the politicking. Frontier for more worldbuilding and exploration. Example:

Spoiler

It is the land of the free and the enterprising. Laws don’t exist out here. Maybe back up north, near the city cluster, travelers would be bound by it. But not down here. Closest you get to civilisation is a monthly drop of corrugated iron and news from the outside. Warring in the streets. Figures.

The river is the edge of the known world. An expedition once went out past it. You never saw them again. And that’s your life; cities to the north and nothing to the south. The intersection between nowheres. It was a peaceful life until the trouble began.

That’s an interesting location, IMO.

Every thread could be marked with a location (e.g. Oasis, Alleycity, Frontier). I’ve always found it strange that we’ve only ever had one city that is ever really focused on.

I really think we need another longer time skip.

I think there should be a vote held on this, since there’s no general consensus as far as I can see. On the one hand, yay development; on the other, ten years is a long time. (Avatar came out ten years ago.) 

I want some time to do small-scale RP, not to nuke the AlleyCity again.

Hear, hear.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

me and some others had the idea of a plot set in Oasis City.

I love this idea, and I’d love to see something similar for the other big guilds.

Regarding the other points:

I'm in for a longer timeskip, 10-20 years is resonable and you can still go on with characters, if you want to. I agree with Meta, we'll need a poll for this.

I also like the idea of smaller plots somewhere else, but I don't think we need to move the whole setting. Those that like plots around a city, like thieving can, and those who want to go to a frontier can make a thread for that as well. I think it will work just fine with threads in different locations.

Regarding the timeskip,

I'd prefer if we didn't do it, at least for this Era. I still have some characters around that would lose almost all opportunity for character development, which is kind of annoying to me. I wouldn't mind a shorter one, but I don't really like a longer one.

I personally think that longer timeskips should be agreed upon at the start of the Era, not at the end, since this would give us time to prepare for them.

Results from last poll:

Which additional settings should be explored as a trial?
Ancient Pre-Civilization - 5
Classical Fantasy (No tech, guns, etc.) - 15
Wild West - 10
Modern day - 4
Sci-Fi - 12
Horror - 12
Noir - 5
War games (Tactical / strategic play instead of individual character focus) - 8
Political intrigue - 10
None, I prefer keeping the current setting without any expansion of setting - 3

Putting up a new poll regarding the timeskip since there seems to be some support for both sides. I'd also suggest people start thinking about other potential ways to circumvent the problems that either option might cause. Eg. A large scale Cadmium bubble that preserves the age of certain characters across the timeskip so they can still be played. (Not a real suggestion, just an example)

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

I also like the idea of smaller plots somewhere else, but I don't think we need to move the whole setting. Those that like plots around a city, like thieving can, and those who want to go to a frontier can make a thread for that as well. I think it will work just fine with threads in different locations.

Agreed. Different major locations also helps break things up into smaller groups of characters which makes things much more manageable. It becomes a lot easier to be aware of who is who in a smaller group rather than everyone piling into a single location.
Also I am aware of at least three different proposed plots for next era, so these could be spread out by location to allow people to pick a plot to become invested in rather than everyone being forced into the same major plot or else sidelining their character for a while until the plot is resolved.

11 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Also I am aware of at least three different proposed plots for next era, so these could be spread out by location to allow people to pick a plot to become invested in rather than everyone being forced into the same major plot or else sidelining their character for a while until the plot is resolved.

Maybe it would be good to collect the different ideas here? It would be nice to be able to debate them, and see how they work together. I think at least two of the proposed plots would work well together, either sequentially or in parallel.

I always suggest that people post ideas like that here before they develop them too much, but ultimately I'll leave it up to the people whose ideas they are to present them when they feel comfortable.