The book I bought today is

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought "The shadow of what was lost" by James Islington.

Nice book. Some parts of the magic was abit handwavey, but it might be lack of explanation just yet(first book of a trilogy) as other parts of the magic was fairly well explained and limited.

A fun part was that the author listed Robert Jordan and Brandon Sandersson as major influences to him starting to write (this is his first published book).

All in all, well worth reading imho.

• 3 months later...

Alright, sure.

I just bought 11/22/63 by Stephen King and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I started reading Ready Player One a bit, but I just could not get into it. The writing seemed very to-the-point and lacked flow, whereas Sanderson's (amongst others) prose reads almost like poetry.

With that said, 11/22/63 is pretty good. I've only read Kings' The Stand, which I absolutely loved. I really can't get enough of the post-apocalyptic genre, and I first read The Stand more than 10 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, who has time to buy and read new books when there are so many theories to build and speculate on from re-read's of the Cosmere works?! ;)

You say that now, but as the wait continues and draws out, you need to spread the madness around!  :P

I got Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword by an Ann Lecke. The final book in the trilogy comes out in October, so I have some time.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I have too many books in my TBR pile, so I'm actually going on a book buying ban . . . it's driving me crazy and I don't know how much longer this will last  :blink: Anyway. I guess I'll tell you the last few that i bought? 

Cinder by Marissa Meyer 

The first three books in the Gentlemen Bastards (please excuse my french auditors, it's part of the title :P )

The Last of the Breed by L'Amour

Ready Player One by Earnest Cline  

• 1 month later...

Got eye of the moonrat.  Likely the 1st half and hated the rest of the book outside of the ogre scenes. Felt way to..rushed and YA for me.

Read book one of the prince of thorns and just didnt like the main character and he didnt grow on me later. His goal for the next book made little sense to me and I didn't feel compelled t read the next book.

Im liking the warded man so far. im about 2 hours into the audio version. Slower but more meaningful book.

Let's see..... from Mario Vargas Llosa: Desafios a la libertad, La tentacion de lo imposible (looks like I'll have to actually read Les Miserables now),  and Quien mato a Palomino Molero? 

From Gabriel Garcia Marquez: El coronel no tiene quien le escriba

And from John Gardner: Nickel Mountain

I've got this awesome place called Bookman's Entertainment Exchange. Their exchange policy and rate are amazing, and they have an insanely high selection of stuff. I get everything there: books, movies, music, they even have instruments and I've been eyeing the banjo for a while.

Anyway, I always have a list of authors that I look for when I go there, and I finally got a hold of a specific book: The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor, by John Barth. It's about a reporter who gets stranded from a ship, but is then rescued by characters from Arabian stories. The book is a metafiction about this reporter's trading of stories with Sinbad himself. I storming love Sinbad and the Arabian Night stories, so I have been checking for this book for over a year. I was so happy. I have been working my way, slowly, through the Modernist and Postmodernist canons for five years now, and John Barth is a pretty big name in Postmodern fiction. I love the Sot-Weed Factor. I'm really glad to get to more of his books.

My local library had a huge sale the other day, paperbacks were twenty-five cents and hardbacks were fifty so. . . 

The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt, by Jordan

The first three books and the prequel to the Shanara series (don't remember their names at the moment) by Brooks 

Elvenbane, Elvenblood and Elvenborn by Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton (Ok, so I really enjoy 90's fantasy. So what? Sue me  :P )

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley 

Thr3e by Ted Dekker 

The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour 

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 

And finally, The Hunger Games by Collins 

Yeah. 

My local library had a huge sale the other day, paperbacks were twenty-five cents and hardbacks were fifty so. . . 

The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt, by Jordan

The first three books and the prequel to the Shanara series (don't remember their names at the moment) by Brooks 

Elvenbane, Elvenblood and Elvenborn by Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton (Ok, so I really enjoy 90's fantasy. So what? Sue me  :P )

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley 

Thr3e by Ted Dekker 

The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour 

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 

And finally, The Hunger Games by Collins 

Yeah. 

Yeah, I really need to read Kite Runner. I've fallen short in the literary world by not reading that guy's books. I need to read those, John green's, and Gillian Flynn's. I use to be so caught up. Night Circus was great, though. Good find. It's difficult to find popular contemporary books in used bookstores because people are still passing their copies around. Which is fine, that's probably one of my favorite things about books and movies is that when you get a new one, you give to someone else. But it makes it hard to buy it at a cost I can afford. So yeah, awesome find. Same with Kite Runner. Hunger Games was the same way until about last year, when it got to the point where everyone had copies (Harry Potter did this too; I think my generation remembers this experience thoroughly.)

It's good to have no shame in enjoying 90's fantasy. Some of the best things in fantasy happened in the 90's (Harry Potter, Song of Ice & Fire, Sword of Truth, Wheel of Time)

The Lackey book that I read( Joust) was quite excellent in my opinion. Sure there were plenty of tropes being used, but they were being used Really well so I didn't mind at all. I need to read more of hers.

Lies of Locke Lamora

Finally getting around to this one I've heard a lot aout it. Just finished the four released books in the Dagger and the Coin series recently...highly recommend that the conclusion will be out in January.

Loved loved loved. Lies of Locke Lamora. 5/5 stars.

Also, my family and I went to a flea market while we were at the beach, and one of the stalls had an 8' by 10' room full of books. I'm talking stacks from floor to ceiling, two or three and sometimes even four stacks deep in places. It was insane. They also were selling said books at extremely cheap prices sooooo.....I scratched my book buying itch.

I got the third through ninth books in the Wheel of Time, by Jordan.

Crossroads, edited by Mercedes Mackey and The White Gryphon, by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon

The Innocent Mage and The Awakened Mage by Karen Miller

Lords and Ladies, Eric and Witches Abroad by Pratchett

And finally The King's Buccaneer by Raymond E. Feast

All in all not a bad days work.