Long Game 43: Under the Banner of Adonalsium

Seonid

I haven’t had time to do a thorough reassessment of the thread, but hope to get a post up later this cycle, given my sleep cycle currently puts me mid-Atlantic somewhere near the East Coast of America. >>

Off the top of my head, however, I’d agree that a PM circle is counterproductive. It’s of marginal utility, given conversions, prevents trust groups forming by tying up our PMs, and removes actions from the village. I’d like to understand further why @Devotary of Spontaneity sees it as more advantageous than standard distributions of actions.

With regards to the continually mooted plans to win via sudden death, and keeping Shards in containment, I’ll announce my opposition to both. I’m here to play a Shard game, and would like the mechanics explored. Leaving the Shards in containment and/or seeking an early victory prevents us experiencing the chaos that will make this game something special. 

I continue to stand behind my suggestion from last cycle that we break as many Shards out of containment this cycle as possible, and agree with Rand’s suggestion that Ambition be targeted (and suggest that Cultivation similarly be targeted).

I apologise if I’m behind on anything, or if I’ve misattributed ideas. I’m posting having last read the thread a couple of hours ago, but wanted something out there.

10 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Complete turnaround of opinions.  That makes me think someone changed factions...

Same faction as ever, actually.  My role PM looks like a time loop. :P 

It's not like it was likely that my faction was going to change.  People change their minds, you know.  It's not like I'm going to persist in a bad idea once I realize it's bad. :P 

12 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

I haven’t had time to do a thorough reassessment of the thread, but hope to get a post up later this cycle, given my sleep cycle currently puts me mid-Atlantic somewhere near the East Coast of America. >>

Off the top of my head, however, I’d agree that a PM circle is counterproductive. It’s of marginal utility, given conversions, prevents trust groups forming by tying up our PMs, and removes actions from the village. I’d like to understand further why @Devotary of Spontaneity sees it as more advantageous than standard distributions of actions.

With regards to the continually mooted plans to win via sudden death, and keeping Shards in containment, I’ll announce my opposition to both. I’m here to play a Shard game, and would like the mechanics explored. Leaving the Shards in containment and/or seeking an early victory prevents us experiencing the chaos that will make this game something special. 

I continue to stand behind my suggestion from last cycle that we break as many Shards out of containment this cycle as possible, and agree with Rand’s suggestion that Ambition be targeted (and suggest that Cultivation similarly be targeted).

I apologise if I’m behind on anything, or if I’ve misattributed ideas. I’m posting having last read the thread a couple of hours ago, but wanted something out there.

I am quite excited to mess around with the Shard mechanics as well, so I'll agree that I want to have fun with Shards. I'd be fine with the sudden death win con a bit later in the game, but I would prefer to have fun with the mechanics.

3 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Hey, Drought said to post suspicions.  It's not even DAY ONE.  Our suspicions are going to be really stupid.

That really doesn’t matter, Pyromancer. Information has still been generated, and watching changes in suspicions generates information we can analyse, and will be particularly useful in helping identify conversions.

3 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Do you want me to generate some stuff you can use to analyse people later on?  Because I can do that.  Right now.

The idea of placing reads helps us analyse the individuals making the reads as the game progresses. As 17th Shard aligned players, it's in our interests to help the rest of the village identify that we're still 17th Sharders as the game progresses. If you have reads, or indeed any other information, then I'd love to see it.

I was Survival last game, so I know that yes, Survival is corrupted from the beginning.  His win con is to survive the game and be the vessel of survival at the end of the game.  Also, anyone who PM's me will be offered an honest, no-holds-barred yes or no question in exchange for them answering one of mine.

Edited by TheYoungPyromancer

Div leaned against a wall and slid down to brace himself as the world shook. Actually, things didn’t seem to be physically moving around as much near him as they were just becoming less or more real by the moment. Once the movement had stopped, he placed his hand on the tree he was leaning against and pushed himself upright. Tree?

Things had definitely changed. He shook it off and decided he still had his mission to complete. And someone’s face to punch.

2 hours ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I was Survival last game, so I know that yes, Survival is corrupted from the beginning.  His win con is to survive the game and be the vessel of survival at the end of the game.  Also, anyone who PM's me will be offered an honest, no-holds-barred yes or no question in exchange for them answering one of mine.

If we are discussing findings from our past alignment paths: I asked Seonid who released Survival, flavor-wise. He said it was Khriss.

The world shook, and Sam felt afraid. He gasped, searching for air. How long had he been standing there? He needed to move. He took a tentative step, and winced from the pain. His legs had atrophied from lack of use. How much time had passed? He remembered a black void, and then something calling him back, but it didn't feel right. He had been incomplete, a statue of himself. But with that shake, he suddenly felt alive again. He could move again.

Where were the Shards? If they escaped... Sam shuddered. He didn't know what had just happened, but he wasn't going to let this opportunity pass him by. The Shards were too dangerous to run wild.

Twenty year old Elereod knelt before Series. The shadowy figure spoke, "So you are the operative who has been killing Allomancers?"
Head still bowed, Elereod replied, "Yes, my master."
"Then you are a fool." 
Elereod looked up, confused. "Master?"
"There is no point in merely killing a misting or a ferring. Their deaths do not dissipate the power they held, but merely returns it to the source, Harmony himself. Trying to destroy Harmony's power by killing his servants is futile, like trying to destroy water by imbibing it. To truly weaken his power, you must use these." Series pulled out an aluminum spike, much like the one embedded in Elereod's heart. "Did you think we steal powers just for our own gain? No. The use of these spikes permanently weakens Harmony. A fraction of a metalborn's power, gone forever. " He handed the spike to Elereod. "Go now. Continue you crusade with my blessing, but if I ever catch you killing outright, I'll demonstrate what else a hemalurgic spike can steal."

Elereod though of that long ago meeting now, as he examined Survival's empty cage. He had been wrong then, but Series had put him right. He hoped that his fellow researchers would similarly correct him before he made any mistakes here, where the stakes were so much higher.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to Elbereth, Magestar, Droughtbringer, Stick, Randuir, Megasif, Orlok, and Steeldancer for convincing me that formalized PM chains are not worth the trouble. Universal condemnation is better than no feedback at all. 

I spend far too long on this post, so I'll go away now. I do think we should consider TheYoungPyromancer's suggestion of having Ruin destroy Taldain. 

1 hour ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Yay!  Plus, it would be really mean to Khriss, considering that, according to the Ars Arcanum, she really wants to get back.;)

This is not the first time in this cycle that you have gone out of your way to namedrop Khriss.

With all due respect, the last time you repeatedly brought up one particular role, it ended up being the role you possessed.

28 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

This is not the first time in this cycle that you have gone out of your way to namedrop Khriss.

With all due respect, the last time you repeatedly brought up one particular role, it ended up being the role you possessed.

:lol: this made me laugh

6 hours ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

I 100% agree with this. As much as I would like  to win an SE game for once I dont want it to be because it was boring and easy. I think it would be fun to have a shard or be surrounded by shards.

That being said... I dont like odium he feels anti fun. So i hope whoever gets odium plans with devotion to redirect odiums attack to shatter himself because shattered shards sound dumb IMO, heck I would kill myself if people would like me to do this plan  ( if someone brings me back as a returned eventually at least :) )

7 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

That being said... I dont like odium he feels anti fun. So i hope whoever gets odium plans with devotion to redirect odiums attack to shatter himself because shattered shards sound dumb IMO, heck I would kill myself if people would like me to do this plan  ( if someone brings me back as a returned eventually at least :) )

I don't think this would work, as Devotion can only redirect actions to herself. :(

Dominion:
Shardic Ability - You may use your action during the Night Turn to redirect any actions another player takes to a different player (living or dead). Any actions that do not target a player cannot be redirected.

This wording makes it seem like Dominion cannot make a player self-target. If Dominion can make someone attack themselves, then they could make Odium a Dakhor Monk so they'd survive Shattering themselves.

Well. That was an interesting read. I can see one person who I am 80% sure is lying through their teeth, but they're probably still village, and I'm kind of curious to see if their gamble pays off. I think that person knows who they are, and I'd be interested in them PM'ing me sometime.

Secondly, I am continuing to support the Sudden Death Win Con. However - I understand Orlok's worries about not getting to try out the mechanics, but, to a certain extent, I don't trust my own plan - the very fact that it has such a small chance of succeeding is why I'm fine with trying to play to it. :P It relies on us 1) Catching both Hoid and Khriss in the first 3 or so cycles, and 2) Everyone not stealing too much from one particular Shard (a plan which has already basically broken down.)

Thirdly, Devotary of Spontaneity is highly suspicious to me, and I'm probably going to be placing a vote on them first thing in the new cycle unless I see something that thoroughly changes my mind. His PM Chain has already been thoroughly rejected by basically everyone, so I'm not going to go into that, but his first line this cycle seemed highly suspicious to me.

So we started over, not that it makes much difference to me.

This feels like he's trying too hard to prove he hasn't got anything to hide. I was trying to decide whether he was Hoid, Khriss or Survival last round, and then lost it, but a few factors have convinced me that it's the other way around.

1) His activity level is much higher this turn. Admittedly, this could easily be due to RL stuff, but I think people tend to pay a lot more attention to a game in which they're an Eliminator (though, admittedly, that doesn't always reflect itself in the amount of posts made.)

2) He's proposed/supported 2 different plans now which I think would be... problematic, for the village, and easy for Hoid or Khriss to manipulate. A PM chain in a conversion game would be ridiculously easy to seed false information and have it be passed along, as well as ensuring that generally, most of what goes on in PM's would have a fairly good chance of reaching their teams ears, if they choose their players based on where they are in the player list. Secondly, Odium destroying Taldain would a) reduce the number of World PM's that the faction would have to monitor, and b ) implies Odium should be released, which I maintain is going to be much better for Hoid and Khriss at this stage of the game than for the village. (Remember, this is Odium, not just any Shard, but the most destructive Shard that the game has. Releasing Odium would be a very, very bad idea.

In fact, my main concern is that I don't think an Eliminator would draw this much attention to themselves - I know I tend to try to do the opposite as an Eliminator and blend into the shadows, which is making me paranoid. I want to get this out by rollover, but I'm looking up Wilson's Spreadsheet immediately after this to see if this would be Devotary's first time as an Eliminator.

EDIT: For the record, it is according to Wilson's Spreadsheet, which could possibly explain it. (Particularly without more experienced Eliminators to help out.)

Edited by Young Bard
Not double posting - clarifying after checking the Spreadsheet.

15 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

In fact, my main concern is that I don't think an Eliminator would draw this much attention to themselves - I know I tend to try to do the opposite as an Eliminator and blend into the shadows, which is making me paranoid. I want to get this out by rollover, but I'm looking up Wilson's Spreadsheet immediately after this to see if this would be Devotary's first time as an Eliminator.

EDIT: For the record, it is according to Wilson's Spreadsheet, which could possibly explain it. (Particularly without more experienced Eliminators to help out.)

Devotary was actually an elim last MF I played in so I know it isnt his first time.