Second Annual Sanderson Tournament

Patar

Nohadon. Combat character vs non-combat character.

15 hours ago, CalypsoDreaming said:

(just look at the first page she's in in White Sand).

Honestly I was pretty unhappy with that page. She's model strutting into a tent, not because she has a reason to do so in universe, but to show off the pretty woman to the readers. It broke my immersion pretty badly. I think as a character she deserved better.

Kaladin. I really liked seeing him confront his depression and othe mental issues particularly, but I also liked his character, as well as his arcs. While Wayne is cool, and I love him and his natural affinity to hats, Kal is just amazing and cool, in different ways to Wayne, but still amazingly cool with a tragic backstory to boot.

However, I will give Wayne points for smiling. This is something that Kaladin needs lessons in. Do you think Wayne would be happy to teach? I'm sure Hoid would be willing to get involved, even if it's just to laugh at how bemused Kaladin is with Wayne. 

Elend. Such a cool character, from scholar, to emperor, to mistborn. He's be given so many roles throughout his life, not all of them by his choosing, but he remains a great and moral person, despite growing up amongst the notorably corrupt court and family. He had to do so many thing hard things, and he never lost sight of his morals and general goodness.

I really want to vote Kenton. I haven't read the graphic novel, but he seems like an interesting character judging by the prose. And it would be nice to have someone from Taldain in Round Two. But. Elend just hits home, you know? He was an interesting character even before he became a Mistborn, he just got a whole lot cooler after. I would feel bad not voting for him :D And yeah, I also think he'd defeat Kenton in combat.

And Elend Venture will move on to the next round!

And with the conclusion of the first round, I'd like to give a few updates concerning the future of this tournament. First and foremost: I'd like to apologize once more for the delay between rounds. I've been very busy with school as well as personal issues that have been affecting me for the past few weeks, so sometimes I either forget or don't have time to start the next round. Hopefully I'll be able to be more consistent in the future, and thank you all so much for being patient with me!

The other thing I'd like to discuss is the story. As I've stated above, some days I barely have time to update this, let alone write a story for all of this. Because of my lack of time, I will not be continuing with the story aspect of things. That being said, if anyone else wants to write up a story for this, please feel free to! I simply don't have the time. 

And with all that out of the way, the second round has officially started! In the first fight of the second round we have Marsh vs. Vasher!  

I'm going to have to go with Vasher. (Warbreaker (MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS) and Mistborn 1-3 ending spoilers)

Spoiler

Marsh may have a great redemption story, but Vasher also has a redemption of his own. His command phrase for the Phantoms, "My sin be hidden" shows how penitent he has become about his past. He hates what he was, considers it a sin that he once was Kalad the Usurper. But he's willing to put it all aside in order to save some Idrian villagers he's never met.

(correct me about any errors on my story; I just read Warbreaker and am still getting Vasher's backstory worked out in my mind)

I´ll go with Vasher, i just find him more interessting as a character and i think his character was more formed by his own decisions making his redemption more meaningfull (Marshs redemption doesn´t feel as strong to me since for the worst things he was controlled by Ruin and he tried to fight him from the beginning making the sins for which he redempts less severe). Also Vasher is a confirmed Worldhopper (not sure about Marsh) meaning he would have some idea what he would be up against in a fight, while Marsh doesn´t. Atium could be the deciding factor, but since Marsh needs it for his immortality i would guess he wouldn´t use it from the start giving Vasher an early advantage.

Vasher. He was innovative in his world and magic system in ways that Marsh wasn't. Plus, he has some nice opposites going on with characters, and displays the fickilty of history, as he is known by multiple names due to the different roles that he has played. Marsh is awesome, and so many lines concerning him break my heart, but I don't get as much of a sense of his character as much as I do from Vasher.

You think to tempt me with such measly upvotes? :P

I'm voting for Marsh. Besides maybe Vin, he's my favorite Sanderson character. A fight between Marsh and Vasher could go either way, but in the end I think that Marsh would win. Even if Vasher knew he had to remove the spikes, I doubt he would be able to. And although I do like Vasher, I juts like Marsh's story so much better. The moment at the end of HoA when he

removed Vin's earring was just so well done. Plus, Marsh is still alive and kicking 300 years later. And he's also become toe figure of death itself. That's pretty badchull.

Also, I'll be upvoting any votes for Marsh :P