Long Game 26: Cognitive Dissonance

Nyali

1 hour ago, little wilson said:

I could, but--and I hate to sound so mercenary (actually, I don't)--what's in it for me? I mean, let's say I scan you and prove you to be a CoA. Then GOH won't be happy with me because I'm helping you guys. So then I give them a bit of help, and then you guys get upset at me because I'm helping them. Or I decline scanning you, and either you or someone on your team threatens to kill me if I don't help the Children. I don't really see any benefit from this for myself. And this is why I've been saying that I'm not going to go out of my way to help anyone unless there's something in it for me.

It's difficult to say what would help you, though. I might be willing to strike a bargain, if it was within my power, but since I don't know your objectives, I can't. What would it take to convince you to give us a scan of Bard?

Okay. I'm really frustrated right now for both RL and game-related reasons. So I'll be to-the-point.

Yes, I used a blowgun on Clanky. I have a win condition that requires its use. It makes him sick for now, and would make him poisoned later.

However, I also have a method of healing, which I plan to use on Clanky tonight if I'm still around.

At this point, I'm pretty sure my win condition that requires the blowgun is impossible, so I won't use it anymore and I'm wiling to give it to someone else that the village chooses. I can at least aim for a partial win without it.

I'm not village, but I am willing to help the village with my actions as long as you let me live. I can share the information that I gather and use my actions against whoever you consider most suspicious. Nothing I need to do other than using the blowgun is against the village (and like I said, I won't use it again).

5 minutes ago, luckat said:

Okay. I'm really frustrated right now for both RL and game-related reasons. So I'll be to-the-point.

Yes, I used a blowgun on Clanky. I have a win condition that requires its use. It makes him sick for now, and would make him poisoned later.

However, I also have a method of healing, which I plan to use on Clanky tonight if I'm still around.

At this point, I'm pretty sure my win condition that requires the blowgun is impossible, so I won't use it anymore and I'm wiling to give it to someone else that the village chooses. I can at least aim for a partial win without it.

I'm not village, but I am willing to help the village with my actions as long as you let me live. I can share the information that I gather and use my actions against whoever you consider most suspicious. Nothing I need to do other than using the blowgun is against the village (and like I said, I won't use it again).

May I ask what exactly is required for that win condition? I doubt it is just "Use blowgun once".

Victor, are you sure you want to be held to your promise that "every word [you] speak has been and will be 100% true"? :P I don't mean to cast doubt on you, but you may end up feeling constrained and want to... make allowances. You've shown no compunction about breaking such vows before.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=55909&content_commentid=485585

Bard, during D1, you said that "each planet has their own petty faction wars and disputes." How did you know that? That happened before you scanned Magestar, so you couldn't have learned the existance of other factions from his corpse.

@Luckat, what is the win condition involving the blowgun?

8 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Victor, are you sure you want to be held to your promise that "every word [you] speak has been and will be 100% true"? :P I don't mean to cast doubt on you, but you may end up feeling constrained and want to... make allowances. You've shown no compunction about breaking such vows before.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=55909&content_commentid=485585

Bard, during D1, you said that "each planet has their own petty faction wars and disputes." How did you know that? That happened before you scanned Magestar, so you couldn't have learned the existance of other factions from his corpse.

@Luckat, what is the win condition involving the blowgun?

I have never broken a vow in my life, dear woman! In fact, I don't believe we've even met before this whole mess began!

That being said, I feel the need to clarify that anything Victor says (black text) will be 100% true. Anything Aman says (purple text) could be true, but it could also be a half-truth, if not an outright lie. Also, here's a tally.

(5) luckatClankyArraenaeDoctor12The Only JoeBugsy6912

(1) dowanxTheMightyLopen,

Edited by Amanuensis

Interesting. Why did you not say something about being ale to heal me when others were offering? Obviously you wouldn't want somebody else to heal me when you needed to. I'm assuming that your healing power is an assist action correct?

28 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

It's difficult to say what would help you, though. I might be willing to strike a bargain, if it was within my power, but since I don't know your objectives, I can't. What would it take to convince you to give us a scan of Bard?

Well, since I've already mentioned it on Nalthis, I'll mention it here: one of my win cons involves a Lifeless. This is why I went to Nalthis in the first place. I was hoping a Lifeless would be on the ground. There was no Lifeless on the ground, so now I'm searching for a Lifeless. If a Child can get me a Lifeless, I'll be glad to scan Bard. If GOH gets me a Lifeless....then I'll scan whoever they want me to scan.

Please note that this doesn't mean that I will only help the first faction to get me a Lifeless. I believe that as a neutral, I should help all factions equally if I'm going to help anyone. I would expect help from the other faction with a different win con (which are actually far more difficult than the Lifeless one, which is why my priority is on the win con that I at least have a chance of completing). So yes. A Lifeless is what I would like. I don't even have to have it permanently, so if you want it back, I can totally give it back. I just need a Lifeless. :)

18 minutes ago, luckat said:

I am supposed to poison and cure five different people.

If you'd announced that from the beginning, we might actually have let you do it. As is, it's unlikely you'll survive the turn.

I will nevertheless throw a vote on dowanx to aim for a tie. You are in the best position to save Clanky's life, and I have no desire to see him go.

@little wilson, that seems reasonable. I have not got a Lifeless myself, but I have run across two players who do. I will see what I can arrange.

Edited by Wonko the Sane
Autocorrect decided I meant Clancy.

9 minutes ago, Clanky said:

Interesting. Why did you not say something about being ale to heal me when others were offering? Obviously you wouldn't want somebody else to heal me when you needed to. I'm assuming that your healing power is an assist action correct?

Yes it's an assist action.

As for why I didn't offer to heal you earlier, for one thing, I've been distracted with RL things this turn. I haven't been doing as much talking in the game as I might have liked. For another, it would still count for my win condition if I healed someone at the same time as someone else, so it's not that important that I keep others from healing my target. 

12 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Well, since I've already mentioned it on Nalthis, I'll mention it here: one of my win cons involves a Lifeless. This is why I went to Nalthis in the first place. I was hoping a Lifeless would be on the ground. There was no Lifeless on the ground, so now I'm searching for a Lifeless. If a Child can get me a Lifeless, I'll be glad to scan Bard. If GOH gets me a Lifeless....then I'll scan whoever they want me to scan.

Please note that this doesn't mean that I will only help the first faction to get me a Lifeless. I believe that as a neutral, I should help all factions equally if I'm going to help anyone. I would expect help from the other faction with a different win con (which are actually far more difficult than the Lifeless one, which is why my priority is on the win con that I at least have a chance of completing). So yes. A Lifeless is what I would like. I don't even have to have it permanently, so if you want it back, I can totally give it back. I just need a Lifeless. :)

I've got a Lifeless that you can borrow (for a price ;)). Do you have any items with weak investiture?

I'll vote for Dowanx as well in the interest of arranging that no one is killed. I don't know much about the Ghostbloods, but they're certainly no enemy of mine. If Lily is indeed Iyatil then I'm sure she possesses many unique talents that would benefit the Children of Adonalsium. Besides, I see no reason why Rayse should be immune to Sickness or Poison. I say we give her a chance to help us, but only under a watchful eye.

Edited by Amanuensis

Just now, luckat said:

Yes it's an assist action.

As for why I didn't offer to heal you earlier, for one thing, I've been distracted with RL things this turn. I haven't been doing as much talking in the game as I might have liked. For another, it would still count for my win condition if I healed someone at the same time as someone else, so it's not that important that I keep others from healing my target. 

If you are already saying that you will cease continuing one of your goals do you mind revealing the rest of your role info since it shouldn't matter?

GM question: On the turn that someone is healed from a sickness can they use a third action as long as one of the actions comes after assist in the order of actions?

Also I have no idea what to do with this but one of my Goals is to save prevent two kill actions (not against me) and as of right now I don't have any protection roles. Anyone wanna give me the warrior monk soul stamp or have any other ideas about how I can get around this?

3 minutes ago, Clanky said:

GM question: On the turn that someone is healed from a sickness can they use a third action as long as one of the actions comes after assist in the order of actions?

You can't plan three actions if you are Sick, just like you can't plan four actions if you are not Sick. The last one submitted would be ignored as invalid.

Edited by Nyali

3 minutes ago, Nyali said:

You can't plan three actions if you are Sick, just like you can't plan four actions if you are not Sick. The last one submitted would be ignored as invalid.

Thanks. Just thought I would make sure.

EDIT: I just realized how late in the cycle this is. Sorry Luckat. It does seem most likely that you are a Ghostblood and I have no quarel with your type and I really wouldn't mind that free healing. Unfortunately this is probably too late to change anything.

Edited by Clanky

@luckat if you want to live, you should probably vote for Dow as well...

@Frozen Mint, @TheMightyLopen, just going to stand by and watch?

Nevermind, Clanky retracted his vote. Phew.

(3) luckatArraenaeThe Only JoeBugsy6912

(3) dowanxTheMightyLopen, Wonko the Sane, Amanuensis

Edited by Amanuensis

LG26 - Night Two: The Scent of Death

The scent of death swirled in the wind. Magestar’s corpse had been disposed of, but no one could cleanse the Cognitive Realm of the smell, nor the imprint that the death had made. It would fade in time, of course, but such a violent act as a death in the Cognitive Realm was not a common event, and the Realm (already bent by the Knot binding the worlds) was reacting to it rather harshly.

A small group of worldhoppers all popped into existence in the same instant, very nearly appearing inside each other. 

After they extricated themselves from the pile they’d landed in, each person stood awkwardly, staring around at each other. Magestar was all too fresh in their memory, and what it was doing to the Cognitive Realm was obvious. 

And more death was coming. They could feel it. The Knot that bound them together physically was binding their fates, too, intertwining and melding them into a destiny which none among them could yet perceive. 

They looked at each other for a long time. Several times, someone opened his or her mouth to speak, but the words never quite came.

Finally, who knew how long later, each worldhopper turned at nearly the same time, and simply walked away, to pursue their own various schemes. There would be more death before the end, yes. That was fact. But there was no need to add to that death toll, now when they didn’t know nearly enough about each other. There was no need for others to die. 

Not yet. 

No one was lynched!

Vote Count
Luckat (3): Arraenae, The Only Joe, Bugsy
Dowanx (3): Lopen, Wonko, Amanuensis

Night 2 has begun and will last 46.5 hours.
blu_1474596000.png

Player List

1. Magestar (Magestar)
  2. The Healer (Doctor12)
  3. Iohn (Iohn)
  4. Lorien the Rithmatist (Conquestor)
  5. Stick (I_am_a_Stick)
  6. Jonly the Terrisman (The Only Joe)
  7. NeLaar (Arraenae)
  8. Spike (Paranoid King)
  9. Ryth (Silverblade5)
  10. Riza (Frozen Mint)
  11. Ecthelion (Ecthelion III)
  12. Kyla (Little Wilson)
  13. The Young Bard (The Young Bard)
  14. ? (Burnt Spaghetti)
  15. Brandon Sanderson (Darkness Ascendant)
  16. Aralis (Araris Valerian)
  17. Dr. Idem Occulta (Wonko the Sane)
  18. Kelen Taldar (AliasSheep)
  19. Gladium Paleas (Straw)
  20. Victor (Amanuensis)
  21. Bugsy (Bugsy6912)
  22. Locke (OrlokTsubodai)
  23. Dowanx (Dowanx)
  24. Tom (Sart)
  25. Kaloo (TheMightyLopen)
  26. Unknown (Mark IV)
  27. mmhmmnmhmm (LivingLegend)
  28. Cy Lon (Clanky)
  29. Emrys Morge (Bridge Boy)
  30. Reginald Canuck (Dalinar Kholin)
  31. Orik Ironfist (Haelbarde)
  32. Lily (Luckat)
  33. Odin (Stink)
Edited by Elbereth

Well, there's a very good chance that Clanky is innocent. If he was a member of Gods Own Hate I doubt he would have retracted his vote when he did. I would apply the same logic to Doctor but he could very well have believed Luckat would die anyway without his vote and therefore he wanted to get out of the spotlight. I am a bit suspicious of Mint because she didn't try to help despite having posted, but I dunno her well enough to say if that's abnormal... I will chalk it up to her being new and fearing the repercussions of her getting involved, I guess. It's also possible that she noticed Clanky's retraction when I didn't, I had not considered that before. I also realized I pinged Lopen thinking he was just standing on the side lines, but that's because I forgot he was the first one to vote for Dow in the first place. Last minute things like that always make me nervous. I'm just glad it worked out the way I wanted.

@luckat, your mind is a valuable one to have. I understand you are not Child, but please do not give me a reason to regret saving you. If you help us, I have no qualms about allowing you to poison and heal me, so long as you prove that you can by healing Clanky.

Edited by Amanuensis
Back to a computer... yay proper colors and justification