I'm going to be honest, I don't really like this interpretation of calculus, as it makes it sound far more mystical than it is (it is not mystical at all, in fact). What calculus does is make precise statements out of vague things we say in English, like the word "infinity." It defines and makes precise such things.

Very true. I was more going for what Calculus felt like when I first got taught it. It was actually quite awesome to see that the limit let us do algebra to get meaningful information about something that should have been dividing by zero. And the same when we considered infinite series. 

What makes my mind break about numbers is that from 0 to 1 there are infinite numbers, and from 0 to 10 there are infinite numbers, but... more. More infinite quantities.

I try not to think about it too much.

Lookup ViHart's video on the number Wau.

Now that is even more mind breaking.  :mellow:

What makes my mind break about numbers is that from 0 to 1 there are infinite numbers, and from 0 to 10 there are infinite numbers, but... more. More infinite quantities.

I try not to think about it too much.

I find it much more amusing to show people, very easily, that there are the same amount of numbers in 1,2,3,4,5... as 2,4,6,8,...

That always is fun at parties.

(I have the best parties.)

(Also, 0 to 1 and 0 to 10 have the same amount of numbers.)

I was shown the proof that there are the same amount of rational numbers (numbers that can be expressed by a fraction) as there are integers. That blew my mind for a bit...

But I'm still trying to get my head around tensor calculus. And symmetry groups. And the difference between vectors and differential forms. One day I'll get to Lie algebra and the like, and maybe even to advanced topics in topology. Some days it's enough to make me question why I ever wanted to do physics. The rest of them it's like drinking from a firehose.

But I'm still trying to get my head around tensor calculus. And symmetry groups. And the difference between vectors and differential forms. One day I'll get to Lie algebra and the like, and maybe even to advanced topics in topology. Some days it's enough to make me question why I ever wanted to do physics. The rest of them it's like drinking from a firehose.

And this is why I switched from physics to math, because the math is easier there ;)

The next "Random Stuff" thread should be called "Maybe There Won't Be So Much Math This Time."

After all, we've already got a thread for that :P;)

;) It's true.

But as it happens, Brandon books tend to draw math/sciency people, and when you put us in random conversation, it just kind of pops out.

Frequently when I am drunk I try to teach people quantum mechanics. I'm pretty rusty on that, though, so it goes less well these days.

(Uh... don't drink, kids?)

And this is why I switched from physics to math, because the math is easier there ;)

The next "Random Stuff" thread should be called "Maybe There Won't Be So Much Math This Time."

See, I switched from Maths to Physics because I wasn't fond of doing mathematical proofs...

No, the next one should be entirely about maths!

See, I switched from Maths to Physics because I wasn't fond of doing mathematical proofs...

No, the next one should be entirely about maths!

Yeah, proofs aren't for everyone, but hopefully there was a class to train you to prove things. It is a technique and is knowable.

It amusing, because after doing graduate math classes, I did a probability theory class, and the proofs were so laughably easy compared to the analysis proofs.

Yeah, proofs aren't for everyone, but hopefully there was a class to train you to prove things. It is a technique and is knowable.

It amusing, because after doing graduate math classes, I did a probability theory class, and the proofs were so laughably easy compared to the analysis proofs.

It was probably more my own fault for not doing enough of the practice work in the level 1 and 2 courses - I passed the courses fine, but didn't actually do any proofs... I decided pure maths might not for me after that point. The applied maths course this semester hasn't needed rigourous proofs so far. It's more been programing.

So basically for me, it was more due to me being a poor student, I think.

It was probably more my own fault for not doing enough of the practice work in the level 1 and 2 courses - I passed the courses fine, but didn't actually do any proofs... I decided pure maths might not for me after that point. The applied maths course this semester hasn't needed rigourous proofs so far. It's more been programing.

So basically for me, it was more due to me being a poor student, I think.

I just think applying math is much more work than actually doing the theoretical math. That said I do hate certain subjects. Screw you abstract algebra.

Random fact about 6 sided dice with pips:

It's possible to remove 16 of the 21 pips and still be able to work out exactly what each side of the die is meant to be.

(Not any 16 - the remaining 5 must be in specific positions)

Don't know for certain, but pretty sure you couldn't have less than 5 pips and it still work. Willing to be proved wrong though.

Edit: The only assumption is that opposite faces add to 7. Which is the norm.

My solution:

So the pips on a die face can be anywhere on a 3x3 grid:

A1 A2 A3

B1 B2 B3

C1 C2 C3

However, the six is the only number which uses the middle of the edges (A2, B1, B3, C2). So if you rub off all the pips on the six except that one, you can know that face has to be the 6, and so the opposite side is a 1. Differentiating the rest is a bit harder, but my solution is to remove two pips on the five, choosing two on the same edge so that a 'V' shape is left. The five is the only number to have that shape in it, so you know it has to be the five, and so the two is on the opposite side.

Now we're left with the 3 & the 4. The 3 has a pip in the centre, so if we leave that one, after we work out the previous 4 faces, we know that has to be the 3, making the last number the 4.

Edited by Haelbarde

I find it much more amusing to show people, very easily, that there are the same amount of numbers in 1,2,3,4,5... as 2,4,6,8,...

That always is fun at parties.

(I have the best parties.)

(Also, 0 to 1 and 0 to 10 have the same amount of numbers.)

;) It's true.

But as it happens, Brandon books tend to draw math/sciency people, and when you put us in random conversation, it just kind of pops out.

Frequently when I am drunk I try to teach people quantum mechanics. I'm pretty rusty on that, though, so it goes less well these days.

(Uh... don't drink, kids?)

I kind of want to go to your parties.  And witness you drunk.  This sounds like my kind of party.

I am such a nerd.

*walks in* 

*sees math, math everywhere* 

*quietly leaves link to next A Kind of Magic chapter* 

*puts link right here*

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

Oo, look!  Ready things!

*walks in*

*sees math, math everywhere*

*quietly leaves link to next A Kind of Magic chapter*

*puts link right here*

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

A) AWESOME "he's a werewolf not an idiot!" Go narcissa!

b ) I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here

That he wanted to go alone wasn’t surprising, either. Draco shared a flat with the reason for his condition, the reason full moons and July First had any meaning at all. His announcement shouldn’t have been surprising in the slightest.

A) AWESOME "he's a werewolf not an idiot!" Go narcissa!

b ) I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here

I think it basically means, "Daddy's screw-ups are why Draco got bit."  Lucius has guilt.  Who knew he had the emotional capacity for it?

But what about naming after Star Wars films? :( Now we have renamed "Holiday Special", we still have "Rogue One" and "Clone Wars" (the animated movie) to use... "Admin One" and "Clone Admins" or "Admin Wars" are waiting and will be sad it we abandon the tradition!

"The Proofs Class" was the reason I dropped my Applied Math minor. I enjoyed that class, and my professor was awesome ("Hmm, I can't remember the equation we need here...err...ho-kay, we find it from scratch" *proceeds to provide an entire proof for the equation he couldn't remember, which we needed for the actual proof we were doing*), but I just couldn't wrap my head around it. My brain just doesn't work that way, and my school didn't allow the time for me to train it to do so. 

That was a sad day, dropping that minor. I love me some math.