Is it a scary movie? What is it about? Would you recommend it to friends?

Note: Totally not their marketing department.

Let me put it this way: You can call it a cross between a superhero movie and a dystopia. The superhero figure is a deeply damaged terrorist, and the dystopian element is so strong that you will end up cheering for him. It's intense, and extremely dark, given a very fitting R rating. Take the dystopia from The Hunger Games, punch it up to 11, and watch Katniss curl up and cry. 

That said, I'd definitely recommend it. It's dark and brutal, but ultimately hopeful; terrifying and bleak and downright beautiful. If you're okay with brutal violence, swearing, political commentary, and quite a few disturbing elements both in backstory and in present, go for it. If you're not okay with all of that, pass on this one. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

And I finished watching V for Vendetta for the first time. 

….I may have cried a little. 

Now you need to start on Farscape!

Far less dark, but there are episodes that will make you bawl.  And episodes that will make you laugh hysterically.  Sometimes these are the same episodes.

Voidus, your lawyer is here!

To qualify as libel, Kaymyth's statement must fulfill three requirements. It must be published, it must be presented as fact, and it must be seriously damaging to one's reputation.

Claim: I do not dwell in the Dark Alley.  I come from a magical land of sunshine, rainbows, and highly inappropriate card games.

1) This statement has clearly been published in a public forum.

2) This statement is presented as fact. Kaymyth makes a disctinction between the Dark Alley and a magical land of sunshine, rainbows, and highly inappropriate card games, and makes it clear that these are two separate things.

3) This statement is highly damaging to the Dark Alley's reputation. As a cookie vendor, the Dark Alley relies on its reputation to sell its cookies to unwilling victims willing customers. If people avoid the Dark Alley because it is not a magical land of sunshine, rainbows, and card games, it will go bankrupt.

Kaymyth's statement filfills the three requirements of being libel. But wait! Truth is an absolute defense against libel, regardless of how much a statement may fit the three requirements of libel.

Let's see how Kaymyth's claim stacks against the truth.

1) Kaymyth does not dwell in the Dark Alley. True.

2) Kaymyth comes from a magical land of sunshine. True.

3) Kaymyth comes from a magical land of rainbows. True.

4) Kaymyth comes from a magical land of highly inappropriate card games. Questionable, but will be taken as true.

After looking at all the evidence, Kaymyth's statement is not libel. Sorry Voidus. Feel free to sue, but you'll lose.

Ah but the implication that the Dark Alley is not a magical land of sunshine and rainbows is not true!

*Whispered voices from earpiece*

I don't CARE what the dictionary says, it's my alley and if I say it can be dark and still have sunshine then it can!

*More whispering*

What do you mean it's not my alley?

*Whispering*

Well says who?

*More whispering*

Well who gave the city council the right to claim that they own an alley?

*Long whispering filled with legal precedent*

You know what? Forget the lawyers, I'm just going to start spiking the next person who says we can-

*Interruption*

Well how can we not have spikes? That's all we do?

*Whispering*

What do you mean giving away cookies for free that kill people isn't a sustainable business model? When I get some metal I am going to spike you so-

*Static*

Huh.

So uh... our powers been cut off.  :mellow:

Ah but the implication that the Dark Alley is not a magical land of sunshine and rainbows is not true!

*Whispered voices from earpiece*

I don't CARE what the dictionary says, it's my alley and if I say it can be dark and still have sunshine then it can!

*More whispering*

What do you mean it's not my alley?

*Whispering*

Well says who?

*More whispering*

Well who gave the city council the right to claim that they own an alley?

*Long whispering filled with legal precedent*

You know what? Forget the lawyers, I'm just going to start spiking the next person who says we can-

*Interruption*

Well how can we not have spikes? That's all we do?

*Whispering*

What do you mean giving away cookies for free that kill people isn't a sustainable business model? When I get some metal I am going to spike you so-

*Static*

Huh.

So uh... our powers been cut off.  :mellow:

Wait until you find out who was on the other end of the telephone line...

No….the whole thing is pretty storming dark. 

It is originally a comic by Alan Moore, of course it is dark.

Watchmen is a pretty awesome read as well :ph34r: Havent seen the film, but the graphic novels are great.

EDIT:

Cards Against Humanity is a favorite around here.  If that isn't a highly inappropriate card game, I don't know what is.  :D

There is an online version. We should play that someday :ph34r:

Edited by Morzathoth

Watchmen is a pretty awesome read as well :ph34r: Havent seen the film, but the graphic novels are great.

EDIT:

In what timezone, though?

Ah, but it was only an implication, and not an outright statement!  You've got nothing that'll hold up in court.  :D

EDIT:

ooo...

http://pyx-2.pretendyoure.xyz/zy/game.jsp

I could make a game, but I work tomorrow and the game is more fun when you can shout at each other. I figure people dont want to just give out their skype names so in that case we would have to find other ways.

Voidus join your wife for a game someday.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I should say something about kids and sensitive people not clicking that link, but I'm not going to tell you what to do, you are your own person, but now I've warned you so it is on your own responsibility now.

Edited by Morzathoth

I was actually quite surprised (and after thinking a while I realised I shouldn't be) that 17thShard plays CAH. You see, when first coming to Shard you're suprised by how everyone is so nice to each other and so on. CAH is of dark, disturbing humour, so that didn't fit the picture.

Then I realised that it doesn't necessarily contradict each other - we're just showing the nicer part of us here.

I was actually quite surprised (and after thinking a while I realised I shouldn't be) that 17thShard plays CAH. You see, when first coming to Shard you're suprised by how everyone is so nice to each other and so on. CAH is of dark, disturbing humour, so that didn't fit the picture.

Then I realised that it doesn't necessarily contradict each other - we're just showing the nicer part of us here.

We played Cards Against Humanity when camping at the Words of Radiance release. Alyx's first time playing it. It was a ton of fun and we were far too loud for other people in tents.

Josh did need to take out some cards for BYU, so that was a thing, but it was still a lot of fun.

I've decided that next year I am going to the annual Con. Either as regular participant or, if we (the fansite crew) manage to get everything right, as prelector for Cosmere stuff. I never imagined I could end up in such situation, even hypothetically.
Chances for the second scenario are not high, so probably only as participant.

I have like two left hands but... making a mistcloak shouldn't be that complicated, right? Seems like a pretty easy one in the realm of cosplaying.

Edited by Oversleep