Night 2: Unraveling Threads

News traveled fast in a village the size of Tyrian Falls. It wasn’t even half past breakfast before almost everyone had heard about what had happened to Senn Conrad. Ominous messages written in the snow were one thing, but murder? It didn’t take long for people to start gathering together.

Eventually, they all converged on the Canton of Finances’ old building. The Ministry had packed up and moved out when news of the Lord Ruler’s death reached them, but the building still stood and it was large enough to work as a makeshift meeting hall. Once everyone had arrived, it seemed that no one was really sure what they should be doing. They all just stood around; the only sounds were the shuffling of feet and the occasional cough.

“So what are we supposed to do now?” Edrab finally asked.

No one could place where the falsetto voice had come from when it spoke up.  

“We should all go see that magic show! I hear it’s pretty good and it’s only a couple clips! It sounds like just the kind of thing to help us forget our worries for a while.”

There were a couple of groans and a lot of rolling of eyes at that.

With a weary sigh, Kassien pulled himself to his feet.

“You should all know, Senn stopped by my shop last night before he headed home. He said that he had a plan and he wanted my help with it. I- I don’t know why he came to me,” -a little lie, but the rest of the village didn’t need to know his past- “but I told him that I couldn’t help him. And then he left. I was probably the last person who to ever talk to him. Maybe if I had said yes, he’d still be alive right now? I... I don’t know. I just know that I feel absolutely horrible about it and you all deserve to know.”

The silence after Kassien finished speaking was deafening. The only other sound being the steady clack of Lippen’s needles.

“Or perhaps you killed him, eh, Kassien?” Lippen said. she didn’t even look up from her knitting. “Couldn’t do it with your herbs though, could you? No, that would be too obvious and then everyone would’ve turned on you. So a knife in the back, while messier, would leave you free to murder again, isn’t that right, Kassien?”

With every word, Kassien flinched a little and pulled himself into a tinier, smaller ball.

Hellscythe gave her a quizzical look. “But I’ve been talking to my fellow spirit, Mr. Conrad here” -he put his arm around empty air- “and he says that no one knew yet how he died….”

The clacking of the needles stopped. Lippen put them and her hands in her lap.

“Forgive me, Lord. Me and my big mouth.”

The entire world seemed to pause for half a second and then, as if to make up for that time, everything erupted into chaos.

Lippen drew both of her sewing needles and in the blink of an eye, one flew and embedded into Hellscythes shoulder; the other flew up and dug into a rafter behind her.

Hellscythe stumbled, a hand going to his shoulder only to come back bloody. “How’d you strike a ghost?!?” He complained before collapsing in a faint.

The rest of the crowd reached for Lippen, but she was already sailing through the air towards her other needle. She flew over the heads of the crowd until the needle finally pulled loose of the rafter. She spun in the air and grabbed it, moving far more gracefully than an elderly woman like her should have been able to do.

She landed near the entrance in a slight crouch, the sewing needle in her outstretched hand.

“This would be so much easier if you’d all just lay down and die already. Now I’ve got to do it myself!”

She lunged forward and the crowd as a whole stepped back. It was a feint. She threw the needle to the side, catching Four in the leg with it before turning to sprint out the doors. She went to throw them open, but there was a loud crash outside and the left hand door rebounded back at her. It caught her off guard and she fell to the ground. On the other side of the door was Alexander, the mute beggar. He was rubbing his head where the door must have bounced off of him when Lippen tried to throw it open.

It was all the break the Village needed and they surrounded Lippen and tied her up.

“You murdered Senn,” Kassien said in a whisper. “I think I know exactly which herbs we’ll give you….”

Night 2 begins! You have 24 hours to get your orders in.

Lippen was a Spiked Lurcher!

Current Player List

Votes
Lippen (2)- Alexander, Hellscythe
Kassien (1)- Kassien
Jain (1)- Kane
Locke(1)- Maill
Bartholomew (1)- Edrab
Edrab (1)- Locke
Gidomara (1)- Wyrm
Herwynbe (1)- Gidomara

No Votes(17): Herwynbe, Bartholomew, Clara, Unknown, Riew, Aralis, Exisa, Kilven, Inor, Citona, Vron, Jain, Slart, Lippen, El, Lu, STINK

red_1451451599.png
Edited by Alvron

Quick Links:

Player List:

1. Mailliw73 - Maill (The Cobbler)
2. Haelbarde - Edrab Leah (Author)
3. Seonid - Senn Conrad (Minor Nobleman) Regular Villager
4. IrulelikeSTINK - STINK (Glitched AI in the Shape of a Horse)
5. Herowannabe - Herwynbe (Terris Steward)
6. OrlokTsubodai - Locke Tekiel (Estranged Son of a Noble House)
7. Kasimir - Kassien Estvaril (Apothecary)
8. Bort - Bartholomew the Blind (Knight Awkward)
9. Wyrmhero - The Surprisingly Mediocre Amazing Wyrm (Traveling Magician)
10. Ripplegylf - Clara Lepinceau (Former Noblewoman)
11. Venture Mistborn - Alexander Venture (Mute Beggar)
12. Mark IV - Unknown (Amnesiac)
13. WeiryWriter - Riew (Skaa Courier)
14. Hellscythe - Hellscythe (Madman who thinks he's a ghost)
15. Adavantos - Gidomara Grae (Professional Procrastinator)
16. Araris Valerian - Aralis (Skeptical Elderly Grump)
17. Phattemer - Exisa (Small and Paranoid)
18. Madashar Mistborn - Kilven (Blacksmith)
19. Creccio - Inor Haze (Mortician/Taxidermist)
20. Shallan - Citona Vinid (Bellringer)
21. Alvron - Vron (Alchemist and all around resurrected guy)
22. Lightsworn Panda - Jain (Panda, of course)
23. Sart - Slart (Quiet Hunter)
24. TheMightyLopen - Lippen (Head of the Sewing Circle) Spiked Lurcher
25. Elkanah - Kane (Florist)
26. Elbereth - El (Illusionist)
27. Luckat - Lu (Town Busybody)

Okay... That was unexpected. What happened there!?
Edited by Haelbarde

Woo hoo! One spiked down. Err, how many more to go?

IMO, that was a lot of emotional allomancy. And that is why I'm with smoking of people (I know! Smoking is bad for health!) . Could someone smoke me tonight?

Another thing, who was suspicious of Lippen? I think that person is a Rioter. (I'm on my phone, and so it is rather difficult for me to check right now)

Anyways, congratulations on catching our first spiked!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four just stood in his spot. He was filled with joy at killing the first spiked! But, that was quite scary, in his opinion, that the votes were changed so dramatically. But, he felt that it was okay. If the town smokers burnt their copper effectively, that could afterall negate the soothing and rioting.

Edited by Mark IV

This is the vote tally I had from the thread:
Jain (3): Stink, Elkanah, HS
Lopen (1): Venture
Kas (1): Kas
HS (1): Araris
Hael (1): Orlok
Ada (1): Wyrm
Bort (1): Hael
Hero (1): Ada
Orlok (1): Maill

(Since my tally matched the one Meta gave toward the end of Day 1, I'm reasonably sure this is accurate.)

And here's the tally from the writeup:
Jain (1)- Elkanah
Lopen (2)- Venture, HS
Kas (1)- Kas
Hael (1)- Orlok
Ada (1)- Wyrm
Bort (1)- Hael
Hero (1)- Ada
Orlok (1)- Maill

(The names and positions are changed to match the above better.)

So the changes are:
HS from Jain to Lopen
Stink from Jain to no one
Araris from HS to no one

Hellscythe was obviously Rioted. The Rioter is probably good, but we don't know who it was. The other two could have been Soothed (or maybe Rioted) or could have been a Rioter that used their powers on Hellscythe or in a different failed attempt at Rioting.

Meta: Since you didn't answer this before, can a Rioter change a vote on a person to a No Vote? Also, if a Rioter tries to Riot someone who ends up not voting, is their vote still negated? What happens if a Rioter tries to Riot someone to who they are already voting for?

Wait! I thought Hael also had a vote on him. Did that get retracted? I couldn't read everything. I went to sleep, and BAM! 3 pages of post.

I was considering voting on Jain, but after Hellscythe voted on him, I felt an extra would have been overkill. So I never actually placed a vote on Jain. My last vote was on Bort, which stayed put.

Hellscythe was obviously Rioted. The Rioter is probably good, but we don't know who it was. The other two could have been Soothed (or maybe Rioted) or could have been a Rioter that used their powers on Hellscythe or in a different failed attempt at Rioting.

Meta: Since you didn't answer this before, can a Rioter change a vote on a person to a No Vote? Also, if a Rioter tries to Riot someone who ends up not voting, is their vote still negated? What happens if a Rioter tries to Riot someone to who they are already voting for?

Ooops... Missed Araris. So presumably either there's two soothers, or maybe Araris is a Rioter?

And re: Rioters changing something to a No Vote, I would expect that they can't, because that is then essentially Soothing.

Edited by Haelbarde

Here's something Lopen said that I think is worth looking at. (he only had one post)

I don't think I agree with lynching the Capta.....I mean, Wyrm. >> I rather like PM's, and I think they can be a good tool for the village

While I think I should probably be put under suspicion for protecting Lopen last cycle I also I think Araris knew Lopen was evil before he died.

Aralis is still grouchy. But anyways, Hellscythe, that seems like a suspicious move to me. I mean, Lopen hasn't posted, so you might retract because inactives might just be inactive the first cycle or so of this game, and we weren't going to hear from him. But there is no reason to come out and say that he is innocent. I know that I recently played a game of Resistance and I spotted a Government player when he defended a player he knew to be good for little reason. So, yeah, I actually feel fairly confident about this cycle one vote as compared to others that I have made.
Edited by Hellscythe

Did I miss a question? If so, sorry. 

A Rioter can change a vote to a No Vote. Their restriction, due to how powerful moving votes can be, is just that their target must have already voted at the end of the turn.

I feel that this is just a different wording of a question already asked. If a Rioter uses their power on someone who is not voting, they are still trying to use their power. It's just that the power is negated. As such, the Rioter's vote is still sacrificed. 

A Rioter can change someone's vote to the same person they were already voting for. If their target were to change their vote, it would automatically get switched back to the person they were voting for before. If they do not change targets, then they voted for someone, had a pull of emotional allomancy put on them about it and are now just doubly sure of their vote is all. :P All other effects of the Rioter ability still apply. 

Actually now that I think about it.... It's likely Araris is the Rioter. I don't see why someone would soothe Araris, but if Araris used his ability to Riot me that would nullify his own vote. His vote was nullified and I think it's more likely he nullified his own vote rather than a soothe. Especially considering Araris' only post was about me protecting Lopen. Then my vote was changed to Lopen.

Rioter: The Rioter works in a similar fashion as the Soother, except once during the day round they can change one person's vote. Using this power does nullify their own vote though.

Edited by Hellscythe

Thunk!

Hellscythe staggered off of Aralis's porch and held a hand to the side of her head, where the walking stick had struck her. Aralis swung at her again, tripped and toppled back into his chair.

"You defend this bugger who is one of the people responsible for the lack of peace in this town, for riling up all these crowds, and then accuse me for calling you out beforehand? Get off my porch!"

I feel that this is just a different wording of a question already asked. If a Rioter uses their power on someone who is not voting, they are still trying to use their power. It's just that the power is negated. As such, the Rioter's vote is still sacrificed. 

It's similar, but not the same. The earlier question was about what happened in the case of an external influence that countered the action. This question was about what if a Rioter tried to do an action that ended up being invalid (and so wouldn't be something that was attempted). I could have seen it going either way: their target wasn't present so the action didn't happen at all, or the Rioter tried but their attempt failed. I just prefer to get as clear of clarifications as I can on boundary cases like these because I've been burned in the past because I assumed an interpretation I thought was obvious that turned out to be incorrect.

Dropping in to say that I'll likely be unexpectedly away for the next few days. There may be a couple of times when I'm on if hotels have wifi, but in general expect my absence.

El sighed. Four had already gone to sleep, and even Kassien had returned from the meeting that took him away for the latter part of the day. He returned only once, with such a grim expression that El hadn't dared ask what was going on. But he was asleep now, too, and El had just finished double-checking the locks.

She peered out the window of her bedroom. Things did seem to be happening: lanterns swung from several hands, moving about in the darkness. She shook her head. Enough time to worry about that tomorrow. For the moment, she was going to bed.

...El sighed. Four had already gone to sleep, and even Kassien had returned from the meeting that took him away for the latter part of the day. He returned only once, with such a grim expression that El hadn't dared ask what was going on....

Gone to sleep where?

Edited by Mark IV

And people say that Day 1 votes are pointless and only harm us... Though admittedly, I have no real idea how a lynch happened on a mostly inactive player due to a Rioter, that's just a little weird. Also, why are people bloody speculating on their identity? Sure, it'd be good to know that we have a confirmed player out there, but if they haven't come forward, there's a reason and we shouldn't be trying to force them into a position like that.

Considering Lopen was one of the people advocating not killing me, I am very tempted to look closer at the others who had that sort of idea in mind. At the time, it looked as though I was pretty much the forerunner for the lynch, and I do not think any Eliminator would want to be anywhere near my lynch. Those who have stated that they do not want to lynch me for my role publicly include: luckat, Orlok and Hreo.

Edit: Posted halfway through what I was saying >>.

To continue, I am not amazingly suspicious of any of these, though Orlok and Hreo have had some comments sent their way. I am still looking a bit sideways at Hreo though for his Kasimir vote 'for reasons'. The other two have more-or-less slipped under the radar for me. The only thing that jumps out about Orlok to me is that he is usually deathly afraid of me being an Eliminator, but unlike others such as Mailliw, advocates keeping my alive for my Role despite this.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Considering Lopen was one of the people advocating not killing me, I am very tempted to look closer at the others who had that sort of idea in mind. At the time, it looked as though I was pretty much the forerunner for the lynch, and I do not think any Eliminator would want to be anywhere near my lynch. Those who have stated that they do not want to lynch me for my role publicly include: luckat, Orlok and Hreo.

Dude, you're practically ignoring the guy who threw himself in front of the lynch bus for you... >>

Quick replies to some of the comments from the previous cycle:

1. Hellscythe's comment about my not being able to use PMs if I'm dead doesn't make sense. Obviously, if I'm talking about the need to not immediately kill off a Tineye, then I've stopped thinking in terms of my desires as a player, and started thinking in terms of what I think puts the Village in a better position.

2. Very simply put, Ada, I was ninjaed. So, let's first distinguish between two things. What caused me to vote for myself? At the time I was working on my post, Wyrm was leading the lynch. And after that, I did not see a reason to retract my vote. In retrospect, I could have voted Hreo, sure; that was the only other move that would have made sense, given my reasons. So what were my reasons for keeping my vote on myself?

A. I was informed by someone that there was a third Smoker who hadn't Smoked anyone at all on Night 1. (Given the presence of Smoker #3's not having Smoked, you can see why Smoker #2 and myself seem that bit more suspicious. I had thought that clearing the board a little by getting rid of myself would be helpful in that regard.)

B. And given the number of people mentioning I'd tripped red flags for them, or that they had found me suspicious early on, I wanted to see how many of them were willing to put their money where their mouths were and to put a vote on me and seal my lynch. After all, that's the point, isn't it? Lynching someone you genuinely find suspicious rather than poking a few inactives half-heartedly?

C. And in fact, because of B; because the Day had somehow become about Wyrm and myself, I had hoped that lynching me would be a slightly more informative alternative to lynching Wyrm (see my initial motivations) as compared to going for someone else like Jain.

D. I had already given out the info to the necessary people, so my value to the Village alive was essentially almost-zero.

Edit: Formatting.

Edited by Kasimir