Random Stuff III

When you realize that the space race was basically the U.S. And Russia trying one up each other. :mellow:

I kind of miss the days when we trying to one-up the "filthy commies." Humanity works at peak efficiency when there's national pride and racial hatred at stake. We could have a functioning colony on Mars by now if were doing it to rub it in the collective face of the Russians.

I kind of miss the days when we trying to one-up the "filthy commies." Humanity works at peak efficiency when there's national pride and racial hatred at stake. We could have a functioning colony on Mars by now if were doing it to rub it in the collective face of the Russians.

I don't know; I'm a fan of universal cooperation. Maybe we can invent a story about mole people and compete against them. :ph34r::P

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Sharing a piece of an IM conversation from this morning between myself and ThirdGen (slight editing to remove real names; I don't care, but he's a bit more secretive with his online persona):

Me: I...I think I literally have no non-geek interests.

ThirdGen: Oh, come now, I'm sure you like.... uhh... bread?

Me: Seafood.  I like seafood.

ThirdGen: Seabread?

Me: Eating calamari is like devouring Cthulhu before he devours y-...dangit.

This conversation may have culminated in me expressing a desire to go out in ubergeeky costume, find a cluster of rabid sports, fans, point at them, and shout, "NERDS!"

Edited by Kaymyth

Ever since reading The Martian, I've been approaching all of my problems a lot more a methodically.

"I need to bake twenty-four eggs, but I only have one pan. If I try to cook too many, they'll still be raw in the center. I need to use the materials around me to figure out how to cook all the eggs at once. I could pour a little bit of my egg mixture into the bottom of a dozen glasses, but the glasses I have on hand weren't meant to withstand the 450 degrees Fahrenheit I need to sterilize the eggs. I could cook in multiple batches, but lunch is already late and I want to get it on the table within thirty minutes. I could...

"Wait never mind. I found my other pan."

In American usage, jam is made with the fruit itself, jelly is made with only fruit juice, and marmalade is made using the rind of citrus fruit.

All of them use gelatin to thicken them. As for non-fruit jams, I haven't seen any jams that use no fruit, but my mother makes a raspberry-jalapeno jam that is excellent on ritz crackers with cream cheese.

Aaaaauuuuughh!!!!!!!!! So many SoS topics...........and I don't have a copy yet.....i need to stop coming on here.......

My copy is arriving in today's mail.

Ironically, I won't be able to read it yet, as I still have a climactic fight scene to finish writing before I'm allowed to read again.

...drat.

My copy is arriving in today's mail.

Ironically, I won't be able to read it yet, as I still have a climactic fight scene to finish writing before I'm allowed to read again.

...drat.

It took me two sittings, and only because I had to sleep.

Do you hear the pages? They are calling you. "Reeeeeaaaaad uuuuuuusssss, reeeeeaaaadddddd uuuuuuuuussssss" they are saying.

At this point, I'm just trying to figure out how much of the plot I won't know when I do read it. I'm in seventh place at the library, and my library is only getting one copy...

Are you unable to spend the $30 for the book? Or however much the ebook copy costs?

I'll be buying the book today once I get off work, and will then probably take 3-7 days to finish the thing due to other time commitments, so I'm doing the same, hoping the major spoilers don't get ruined for me. Little things like character names and whatnot are okay with me, so long as they aren't major spoilers like the one at the end of WoR. Good luck in getting your copy soon!

And I just applied for a teen librarian job in Brighton, CO.

Will you be Brightonlady Twi then?

I bet you'll Brighton the whole library with your presence!

...That was terrible. Please forgive me.

It is ok, got you covered with an even worse one.

Sharing a piece of an IM conversation from this morning between myself and ThirdGen (slight editing to remove real names; I don't care, but he's a bit more secretive with his online persona):

Me: I...I think I literally have no non-geek interests.

ThirdGen: Oh, come now, I'm sure you like.... uhh... bread?

Me: Seafood.  I like seafood.

ThirdGen: Seabread?

Me: Eating calamari is like devouring Cthulhu before he devours y-...dangit.

This conversation may have culminated in me expressing a desire to go out in ubergeeky costume, find a cluster of rabid sports, fans, point at them, and shout, "NERDS!"

Mmmmmmm, Calamari. The only time my lord Cthulhu encourages consumption of chibi-replicas

I'll wait till the sigining to buy my SoS copy...eek can't wait :D

Edited by ParadoxSpren

It took me two sittings, and only because I had to sleep.

Do you hear the pages? They are calling you. "Reeeeeaaaaad uuuuuuusssss, reeeeeaaaadddddd uuuuuuuuussssss" they are saying.

You really are evil.  It's almost like you don't care about the story featuring the non-pony version of my avatar ever being finished at all.  :ph34r: