Random Stuff III

.....what exactly *is* creepypasta/do I want to know?

It's a site where users submit modern horror stories. A few examples are a .jpg of a dog with a creepy grin that kills people who see it, and an old no-budget children's show with a dark twist. I don't really follow creepypasta, but I have read a few stories that got referenced on Snopes or TVTropes. They're good, but not really my thing. 

From the Wikipedia, it seems to have originated on a forum called "Something Awful" 

In an interview with the website Know Your Meme, Victor Surge (real name Eric Knudsen) claimed that he was inspired to create the Slender Man by legends of the shadow people, the writings of H. P. LovecraftZack Parsons, and Stephen King (particularly The Mist), and the surrealism of William S. Burroughs. His intention was, he claimed, "to formulate something whose motivations can barely be comprehended, and [which caused] unease and terror in a general population." In an interview with the Slender Nation podcast, Knudsen cited the Tall Man from the film series Phantasm as an inspiration for the Slender Man.
Edited by Orlion

It's okay, I took the books back.  :P

Although, their suggested "cure" worries me. They have prescribed one tablespoon of ketchup, ingested daily. I kid you not. The alternative? A brain transplant. Sometimes brothers are weird.

Only sometimes?

Hey! As an older brother myself...

...I can confirm this is 100% true. We're weird. :mellow:

Having three older brothers, I can relate many, many experiences in which this is exemplified. Such as the time I was walking around bonking a tuning fork on things and listening to it (I did that a lot; it sounds cool okay?) when my oldest brother showed me that bonking it, then sticking it on your head makes the sound resonate through your skull.

Never mind, that wasn't a weird thing. That was an amazing breakthrough in my life.

I was a weird kid myself. Did I tell y'all about the time when I tried to sell insurance to my mom?

A wonderment after watching the latest Once Upon a Time:

Regina and Rumplestiltskin both did some monstrous things. They both have blood on their hands, they've both been ridiculously petty about other peoples' happiness, and they both practice cardiomancy, which effectively deprives the victim of free will. They have both also made attempts to turn over a new leaf.

So why, then, does Rumple have a devoted number of in-story supporters while no one hesitates to get in their digs at Regina? When Rumple relapses, it is treated as a tragic thing by others in Storybrooke, especially Belle. (I'm a HUGE Rumpbelle shipper, so don't think I'm complaining here. ;)) Yet when Regina steps up to do the right thing, it's almost always met with a snarky reply about how incongruous it is, given her past.

Things have improved a bit this season, with Emma trusting Regina and only Regina with her dagger, but the contrast between her and Rumple is still glaring. And why is it there? They both did awful things. They both had family as a motive. The argument could be made that the nature of being the Dark One deprived Rumple of his free will while Regina acted of her own volition, but Emma is resisting the darkness while Rumple (for the first few seasons) wholeheartedly embraced it. Not only that, but the notion of the darkness having a will of its own wasn't even brought up until this season, IIRC. For the first few seasons, Rumple was treated as though he acted under his own free will, just as Regina did.

I do like this show, don't get me wrong. I just can't get the Regina/Rumple contrast out of my head.

I'm on the Regina hypetrain/fanclub/bandwagon all the way!

Having three older brothers, I can relate many, many experiences in which this is exemplified. Such as the time I was walking around bonking a tuning fork on things and listening to it (I did that a lot; it sounds cool okay?) when my oldest brother showed me that bonking it, then sticking it on your head makes the sound resonate through your skull.

Never mind, that wasn't a weird thing. That was an amazing breakthrough in my life.

I was a weird kid myself. Did I tell y'all about the time when I tried to sell insurance to my mom?

If it is any consolation, I like to learn odd, useless skills; Card-throwing, the cup part from Pitch Perfect etc. etc.

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Was it volcano insurance?

Well, no. Health insurance. I tried to sell my mom health insurance when I was nine years old.

I'd just figured out what insurance was, and I thought it was a big racket, so I thought I'd try to get in on it.

Remember what I said about being a weird kid?

That doesn't sound quite as weird as what my younger brother did once.

So, I was babysitting for my four younger brothers, and was required to make them lunch. Since the youngest is allergic to nuts, I made him a "jam sandwich" instead of the typical PBJ. When he saw the sandwich, he was upset.

"But I wanted ham and cheese and ketchup on my jam sandwich!"

Begrudgingly, I put some ham and ketchup on the already-made jam sandwich. He ate every single bite. When my mom returned home, he asked her to make a similar sandwich. She refused.

(Also you call it jam not jelly!!!! :D )

Jam, jelly, and marmalade are actually three separate things that are all similar, but different in small ways. So actually, it's not a matter of potato potato, or British biscuits and American cookies, but of Coke and Root Beer.

Jam, jelly, and marmalade are actually three separate things that are all similar, but different in small ways. So actually, it's not a matter of potato potato, or British biscuits and American cookies, but of Coke and Root Beer.

Of course, I believe jam is much more common in the US where jelly and marmalade are more common in, say, the UK or Australia.

That said, grape jelly is delicious.

Of course, I believe jam is much more common in the US where jelly and marmalade are more common in, say, the UK or Australia.

That said, grape jelly is delicious.

And my family quite like onion jam.

un•com•fort•able

ən-ˈkəm(p)(f)-tə( r)-bəl

adjective

When your Seminary teacher tells the whole class that her daughter has hairy legs, while the daughter is sitting right there.

Eek.

Not that there's anything wrong with hairy legs but eek.

I believe American jelly = Australian jam, and Australian jelly = American Jello. I don't know what marmalade is. Opinions?

Eek.

Not that there's anything wrong with hairy legs but eek.

I believe American jelly = Australian jam, and Australian jelly = American Jello. I don't know what marmalade is. Opinions?

I know right? We were all just awkwardly staring at each other for about 10 seconds before we moved on and vowed within our souls never to mention it to each other again.

The only ting that is a marmalade that I can think of is orange marmalade, which is basically orange jam.

And don't forget preserves or apple butter!

And my family quite like onion jam.

Does such a thing exist? You must reveal to me its secrets, forthwith!

In America, jam is fruit that's been mashed up and boiled like hell's donkeys with a bunch of sugar.

Jelly is made with gelliton or however you pronounce that.

Preserves are awesome.

Chutney is good, particularly lime chutney

Does such a thing exist? You must reveal to me its secrets, forthwith!

In America, jam is fruit that's been mashed up and boiled like hell's donkeys with a bunch of sugar.

Jelly is made with gelliton or however you pronounce that.

Preserves are awesome.

Chutney is good, particularly lime chutney

Two words: Pepper jelly. *shudder* My grandmother made peanut butter and pepper jelly sandwiches for a trip my siblings and I took with her. No food but those horrible sandwiches. And then there was her take on deviled ham sandwiches, which made my sister (four at the time) start crying....

I stick to fruit jam.