Genders

Kestrel

For.. science!  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What gender are you?

• Male
    • Female
    • Other (agender, bigender, etc)

This part of your post was... really interesting to me. Could you maybe describe a bit more? My first thought was Otherkin or something along those lines, but that has nothing to do with gender.

I'd never heard of Otherkin before, so had to google that.  I am definitely human, and I don't think there's any reincarnation or past life experience going on with me really.  So, pretty sure it's not that exactly.  I'll try to explain a bit more, as best that I can, though.

Within the dream itself, I am fully the other person.  Upon waking, I still have their thoughts, their memories, their feelings and identity.  You know how much information that we have about our own life, that we don't necessarily think about all the time, but is still there, under the surface, fueling everything that we do?

Upon waking, I have those same thoughts/memories of the other person, but the active memory of what's happening now is my own.  These others have been old, young, male, female.  The dreams are not common, I've had maybe a couple dozen of them in my life (and I'm 33.)  I don't remember much of what happened in the dreams themselves; usually they are exciting and adventerous, but at least once it was an incredibly dull afair (I remember there was a rocking chair, and a fireplace, in a cabin-like house, but not much actually happened.)  I don't, anymore, remember who they were, but I remember that I did know before I woke--if that makes sense?

And yes, these dreams and my story have nothing to do with gender :)  But the conflict with self upon waking that I felt seems to be very similar to what many (all?) trans*  suffer from on a regular basis.  For me, waking from a dream like that, that conflict of self, is terrifying--because what if I don't correctly remember who I am?  But at least I do wake, and a relatively short time later all is the same once again.

Hm. For me, its more of a waking conscious that I'm not one with my body, so I'm not quite sure. This is really interesting.

But yeah, probably not Otherkin because it isn't a dream about being another species. It sounded very similar to some Otherkin stuff I've read before when I was interested in the matter. (I, myself, am not an Kin, but I am Otherhearted, which means that I do believe I am human to the core but I feel strongly connected to an animal, birds for me).

I've read that memories can actually be genetically passed down, so maybe you should write down what happens in these dreams (dream diaries) and try to piece them together.

I'll see if I can do some more research for you, as I have nothing to do today and this is going to be interesting to look up.

I'd never heard of Otherkin before, so had to google that.  I am definitely human, and I don't think there's any reincarnation or past life experience going on with me really.  So, pretty sure it's not that exactly.  I'll try to explain a bit more, as best that I can, though.

Within the dream itself, I am fully the other person.  Upon waking, I still have their thoughts, their memories, their feelings and identity.  You know how much information that we have about our own life, that we don't necessarily think about all the time, but is still there, under the surface, fueling everything that we do?

Upon waking, I have those same thoughts/memories of the other person, but the active memory of what's happening now is my own.  These others have been old, young, male, female.  The dreams are not common, I've had maybe a couple dozen of them in my life (and I'm 33.)  I don't remember much of what happened in the dreams themselves; usually they are exciting and adventerous, but at least once it was an incredibly dull afair (I remember there was a rocking chair, and a fireplace, in a cabin-like house, but not much actually happened.)  I don't, anymore, remember who they were, but I remember that I did know before I woke--if that makes sense?

And yes, these dreams and my story have nothing to do with gender :)  But the conflict with self upon waking that I felt seems to be very similar to what many (all?) trans*  suffer from on a regular basis.  For me, waking from a dream like that, that conflict of self, is terrifying--because what if I don't correctly remember who I am?  But at least I do wake, and a relatively short time later all is the same once again.

Your experience, waking up from your dreams and still having those memories seems like [Emperor's Soul Spoiler]: 

you're soul has temporarily been Forged into somebody else's. And since that is so difficult, over time it'll dissipate and your own soul and memories become your own again. Makes me think exactly what Shai did as she was testing her soulstamps for the Emperor on  Gaotona. He had the Emperor's memories briefly, as if they were his own, then they lingered once the stamp vanished until they were gone again.

I...have some theories on this.  They're really, really weird.

Seriously, if you guys knew half the Weird Stuff I've run into or gleaned little bits of information on, half of you would be convinced I'm nuts, and a good portion of the rest thinking I'm trolling.

...well now I want to know your theories.

(You can PM them if you'd rather not share onsite).

I too would like to know them. But I must be difficult in my dealings with fellow humans, so I must insist they are posted in this topic :P

Oh, very well.

1.  This one is not so weird.  Subconscious is trying to work on the attempt to understand what it's like to be other people.  Subconsciouses are pretty good at this kind of stuff.  There was one time where I heard the theory that some people hold that it's impossible to read in your dreams.  Well, my subconscious said, "Challenge accepted!" and I woke up the next morning with a very vivid memory of having just been spelling words out with Scrabble tiles.  So I, at least, possess some level of reading comprehension while asleep.

2.  The mind is cluing in on what some people like to call the akashic record.  Basically the theory that the entirety of human experience is recorded somewhere on the spiritual plane.

3.  Ghosts are sneaking in and trying to tell their life stories.  Hilarity and identity crises ensue.  Not completely far-fetched if you believe in ghosts (though I'm sure a lot of folks here don't), as certain channels can open up when you're asleep that you normally keep locked down tight.

I strongly believe that men and women are equal but different. The strongest person in the world will always be a man; a man will never be able to give birth. There are many differences between genders, and they complement each other. Both are needed.

I would like to point out that trans people do exist, so there are trans men who can give birth if they so choose. Additionally, I'd dispute that the strongest person in the world will always be male. Not just because there are trans women who might decide to pursue that, but since it's entirely a matter of training, I'd think that excepting social pressures -- so while I agree that the strongest person in the world right now is probably more likely to be male, that's because of how society puts pressure on people and shapes them -- one's sex/gender doesn't factor significantly into their strength.

-

I'm a cis male, but as of the last few days I've been wondering if perhaps I'm simply that way because it's the path of least resistance? I don't feel any particular resonance with being male, it's just sort of how it's always been and I never really questioned it. I don't feel I'm female or demigender or genderfluid or anything, but maybe agender wouldn't be inaccurate? Of course, I do wonder if my introspection leading me to being agender isn't just me subconsciously trying to fit my gender with my sexuality; being asexual and aromantic already, maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm agender so I can "have the whole set" so to speak? Hrm.

I think it goes without saying from the rest of my post that I don't exactly feel that the gender binary is something that should be adhered to, nor that I believe it's a biological fact. Personally I believe that sex is also a social construct, or at least, that there's more to it than the binary understanding we as a society currently have, as evidenced by intersex people, among others!

As a side note, I wonder if there could also be a thread about sexuality? Or perhaps modify this thread's purpose to encompass all of that? 'Gender, Sexuality, etc' discussion perhaps?

As a side note, I wonder if there could also be a thread about sexuality? Or perhaps modify this thread's purpose to encompass all of that? 'Gender, Sexuality, etc' discussion perhaps?

I've been expecting one would pop up.  Anybody can start it.

I was actually thinking about making this topic both, but something held me back.

I'm a cis male, but as of the last few days I've been wondering if perhaps I'm simply that way because it's the path of least resistance? I don't feel any particular resonance with being male, it's just sort of how it's always been and I never really questioned it. I don't feel I'm female or demigender or genderfluid or anything, but maybe agender wouldn't be inaccurate? Of course, I do wonder if my introspection leading me to being agender isn't just me subconsciously trying to fit my gender with my sexuality; being asexual and aromantic already, maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm agender so I can "have the whole set" so to speak? Hrm.

I've actually been feeling similar ideas recently. Though I am pretty comfortable in my beard, I have no reason to express particular attachment to being a guy, of either the manly or the geeky or any other such outlook. And similarly I don't have any want to be anything else. Really though my life I've mostly just wanted to exist and to be ignored and forgotten? So yeah I don't know if it's necessarily my gender/sexuality or anything specific so *shrugs* I'll stop rambling about stuff I don't understand now.

Real quick I just wanna rant about something.

Y'all've seen the "Nerd Boy/Girl Problems" meme, right?

Well, for the most part I love them and almost all of them are accurate...

...the girl ones, anyways.

It... annoys me that all the Nerd Boys are about Pokemon, anime, and video games, while all the Nerd Girl ones are about the stuff I actually like.

[end rant]

It... annoys me that all the Nerd Boys are about Pokemon, anime, and video games, while all the Nerd Girl ones are about the stuff I actually like.

[end rant]

I'm kinda confused on what you mean here. Do you mean the "fake nerd" memes? (Those irritate me to no end) What's an example?

It... annoys me that all the Nerd Boys are about Pokemon, anime, and video games, while all the Nerd Girl ones are about the stuff I actually like.

[end rant]

I stopped following most meme sites when they started picking on different religions. This site is more fun to gush on, anyway. :P

Though I do recall growing up with similar problems. My brother and I each got a subscription to a different teen-oriented magazine, and while his ran sci-fi and fantasy stories each month, mine ran stories that were all historical fiction or slice-of-life. <_<

I'm kinda confused on what you mean here. Do you mean the "fake nerd" memes? (Those irritate me to no end) What's an example?

These things. I was looking to see if there were any Nerd Boy ones, but they all kinda sucked.

174444185536578236vSBaD5zCc.jpg

Granted, there are a few Nerd Boy ones that I can relate to, but really it's quite annoying how few there are (on Pinterest, anyways, which is where my knowledge of these stems from).

EDIT: And Titan, no worries. :) I see what you mean. I was probably getting my wires crossed with the "Religions" thread a bit. 

Edited by Slowswift

Nerds don't even exist in the way we once knew them.  They're not niche, and of course, the fandoms are rarely gendered.  In some situations, nerds are even bullies.  In essence, we have...

#NerdWorldProblems.

I have three older brothers. (I have two sisters too, but they're both about ten years older than me, so I didn't really live with them too long.) So, because when you have six kids you don't want to waste money on Barbie dolls when you have perfectly serviceable hot wheels and Legos (besides the fact that I never liked Barbies anyway) I got to play with almost exclusively "boy" toys. And I loved them. I didn't understand why you would want to dress up a doll when you could build a ramp to fling toy cars off of or build a fort out of cardboard tubes and use the extras as swords to protect your castle. And I am so glad I wasn't given 'girl' toys.

This. So much this. I had a very similar experience, only for me, it's that my sisters are younger than me by three years (they're twins). So I was the first girl after three boys. While my mom was excited to finally have a girl after three boys, I don't recall my parents ever pushing girl toys on me. I don't even think they bought Barbies and Polly Pockets until my sisters came along. So I grew up with Legos, actions figures, wooden blocks, micro machines and hot wheels....pretty much all the stereotypical "boy toys" of the late 80's/early 90's. And I loved every bit of it. Sure, I played Barbies and Polly Pockets (the old school Polly Pockets with the choking hazards. Not the new ones that are much safer) with my sisters, but I far preferred Legos and building cities out of either blocks or sand in the sandbox, and then driving the hot wheels and micro machines around on them. My sisters liked the other toys as well, but I think they (or at least one of them, definitely) liked the "girl toys" better, and that's perfectly fine. It's about doing what you feel most comfortable with. Labels are lame and shouldn't matter.