Having a Bad Day? Stop here for a Good Rant!

traceria

No te preocupas, chibola.  B)

too late.

Needless to say, right now I've just gotten done with being yelled at by my father, followed by about thirty minutes of him talking angerly with my mother about me and slamming doors with me up in my room trying really hard not to lose it, ending with him trying to make up to me with "we'll talk tomorrow" and "I love you Sarah."

Amazing. No.

His "talks" end up in a one sided tirade with me nodding and saying "yes sir" every time he makes a point, regardless if I agreee or not.

too late.

Needless to say, right now I've just gotten done with being yelled at by my father, followed by about thirty minutes of him talking angerly with my mother about me and slamming doors with me up in my room trying really hard not to lose it, ending with him trying to make up to me with "we'll talk tomorrow" and "I love you Sarah."

Amazing. No.

His "talks" end up in a one sided tirade with me nodding and saying "yes sir" every time he makes a point, regardless if I agreee or not.

Sorry to hear that  :(

My father was much the same way. I began viewing his "talking-to's" much like the flu: you just had to let it run its course. 

I reek of Ben Gay for the past 4 days. It's on me, my clothes, my bed, my couch, my bed, my truck. My mutt won't even come that close to me cause I burn his nostrils. Those trees messed me up!

You have to realize how unbelievably funny "Ben Gay" sounds in French  :huh:  :huh:  :huh: It's kind of a running joke between me and my husband whenever I have to use the stuff. 

I don't even know what passive-aggressiveness is.

It's hard to pin down and so hard to explain. It when instead of being aggressive, someone opposed what you're doing in a very sneaky backhand way, or reprimands you in a very backhanded way. So you can't call them out on being rude or anything because it's all sugar coated.

Or someone pretends to offer you options and then does whatever THEY want anyway.

It's very frustrating to deal with.

It's hard to pin down and so hard to explain. It when instead of being aggressive, someone opposed what you're doing in a very sneaky backhand way, or reprimands you in a very backhanded way. So you can't call them out on being rude or anything because it's all sugar coated.

Or someone pretends to offer you options and then does whatever THEY want anyway.

It's very frustrating to deal with.

Also, when someone wants you to do something, but won't come out and ask you.  They'll drop hints, and sigh, and wait for you to read their mind and figure out what the heck it is that they want.

Or the more mild version, where as a kid, my mom would say, "Do you want to <do thing> for me?"  And I knew perfectly well that it was a trick question, and "No" was never an acceptable answer.  Sigh.  At least she'd usually append it with a please.  It's a tough rut to break yourself out of, though, when the entire family runs a huge streak of it.  I did a sort of purge and burn of most of those tendencies out of my personality in my early twenties, but it still tries to sneak back and sprout again.  It's a lifelong battle.

The inseam of my favorite pair of jeans is wearing down and starting to show borderline holes.

This is the only pair that I have that fit anywhere remotely close to well.  I am of a female body shape that clothing designers do not acknowledge exist, you see.  If it fits in the waist, it is ridiculously baggy everywhere else.  If it fits in the hips and rear, it cuts into my stomach.  Since hip-huggers went out of style, my options for jeans that actually fit me have sunk like a lead weight to the bottom of the ocean.

I hate jeans shopping.  Haaaaate.  Loathe it with the fire of a thousand suns, etc.  I'll spend hours poring over stuff, eventually find a couple of styles that might work, and out of a dozen pairs of jeans, find one that might work.  Might.  If I'm lucky.  Even if half of them are supposedly the same style and size.

I can sometimes find stuff in the juniors section, but I have to sort through some really juvenile crap and settle for super-thin fabric that wears out quickly.  Also, while I look younger than my years, I'm getting to the point where I feel awfully self-concious about shopping in the section that is essentially for teenagers.

I have to do it this weekend and I don't want to I don't want to why do I have to do this whyyyyy?

(Why don't I just make my own?  Haha.  Give me a corset pattern, and I'm golden.  Precision seams, boning channels, lalala!  Throw me a pattern for a pair of pants, and it's instant panic mode.  What's this?  Waistbands?  Rolled seams?  Inserting a zipper?!  NOOOO!)

The inseam of my favorite pair of jeans is wearing down and starting to show borderline holes.

This is the only pair that I have that fit anywhere remotely close to well.  I am of a female body shape that clothing designers do not acknowledge exist, you see.  If it fits in the waist, it is ridiculously baggy everywhere else.  If it fits in the hips and rear, it cuts into my stomach.  Since hip-huggers went out of style, my options for jeans that actually fit me have sunk like a lead weight to the bottom of the ocean.

I hate jeans shopping.  Haaaaate.  Loathe it with the fire of a thousand suns, etc.  I'll spend hours poring over stuff, eventually find a couple of styles that might work, and out of a dozen pairs of jeans, find one that might work.  Might.  If I'm lucky.  Even if half of them are supposedly the same style and size.

I can sometimes find stuff in the juniors section, but I have to sort through some really juvenile crap and settle for super-thin fabric that wears out quickly.  Also, while I look younger than my years, I'm getting to the point where I feel awfully self-concious about shopping in the section that is essentially for teenagers.

I have to do it this weekend and I don't want to I don't want to why do I have to do this whyyyyy?

(Why don't I just make my own?  Haha.  Give me a corset pattern, and I'm golden.  Precision seams, boning channels, lalala!  Throw me a pattern for a pair of pants, and it's instant panic mode.  What's this?  Waistbands?  Rolled seams?  Inserting a zipper?!  NOOOO!)

Wow. That's real rough. But sometimes, there's nothing we can do except grit our teeth and power through this kind of crap. Hope you find your jeans. Hope others can be more helpful.

I really, really wish my mom would stop talking over me. And I don't just mean in those family free-for-alls where everyone is talking at once; I mean like when I actually have a serious question. This morning, for example, she asked me if I've decided whether or not I'm going to go back to Washington in July for a family friend's wedding. I told her yes, and told her I'd already talked to my boss about the days I'd need off. 

Me: So I'll need to take Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and then come back either Saturday or Sunday. I'm going to tell him on Monday that—

Mom: Okay, would you want to drive back with us? We'd be leaving on Friday and getting back on Sunday. 

Me: Sure, that's fine. By the way, what days will I be on my own here—

Mom: Okay, and that'll save us some serious coin on the return flight. 

Me: What days will I be on my—

Mom: What you need to do is go online and check out one-way flights, and see if you can use our frequent flyer miles. 

First of all, I already know I'll need to get a one-way flight. Not only have I done this before, but I do it for other members of the family, too. I'm the only one in the house who knows how to access my dad's frequent flyer miles, including my dad. She knows this. She's demanded asked me to get frequent flyer mile flights multiple times before. She's bemoaned the fact that when I move out, she and Dad will need to learn how to utilize the miles themselves. Why does she feel the need to tell me I need to get a ticket and use the miles? That's like reminding me to hand my money to the nice lady behind the counter when I go to McDonald's. I know how the process works, Mom, and you interrupted my serious question to remind me to do something I've done before. 

And that's the thing with my mom: everything requires an explanation. Everything. Even things she knows we know how to do. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to ask her anything because I know I'll get a long explanation of why I need to do the thing I asked about, or what she's worried about regarding the thing, or some political situation tangentially relevant to the thing. I don't want to hear about the thing, Mom, I just want my question answered. :(

I really, really wish my mom would stop talking over me. And I don't just mean in those family free-for-alls where everyone is talking at once; I mean like when I actually have a serious question. This morning, for example, she asked me if I've decided whether or not I'm going to go back to Washington in July for a family friend's wedding. I told her yes, and told her I'd already talked to my boss about the days I'd need off. 

Me: So I'll need to take Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and then come back either Saturday or Sunday. I'm going to tell him on Monday that—

Mom: Okay, would you want to drive back with us? We'd be leaving on Friday and getting back on Sunday. 

Me: Sure, that's fine. By the way, what days will I be on my own here—

Mom: Okay, and that'll save us some serious coin on the return flight. 

Me: What days will I be on my—

Mom: What you need to do is go online and check out one-way flights, and see if you can use our frequent flyer miles. 

First of all, I already know I'll need to get a one-way flight. Not only have I done this before, but I do it for other members of the family, too. I'm the only one in the house who knows how to access my dad's frequent flyer miles, including my dad. She knows this. She's demanded asked me to get frequent flyer mile flights multiple times before. She's bemoaned the fact that when I move out, she and Dad will need to learn how to utilize the miles themselves. Why does she feel the need to tell me I need to get a ticket and use the miles? That's like reminding me to hand my money to the nice lady behind the counter when I go to McDonald's. I know how the process works, Mom, and you interrupted my serious question to remind me to do something I've done before. 

And that's the thing with my mom: everything requires an explanation. Everything. Even things she knows we know how to do. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to ask her anything because I know I'll get a long explanation of why I need to do the thing I asked about, or what she's worried about regarding the thing, or some political situation tangentially relevant to the thing. I don't want to hear about the thing, Mom, I just want my question answered. :(

Just tell her you want her info, and not her wind ;):P

She'd Hulk out on me if I gave the slightest inclination she was annoying me. Or she'd get all hurt and weepy. Either way, it wouldn't be pleasnt. :o

Sometimes, the only way in my experience to deal with these sorts of things is to sit down, and talk. Let her know how you feel, and what you would rather happen. That way, at least she knows, and there's at least a chance that things will improve :)

Sometimes, the only way in my experience to deal with these sorts of things is to sit down, and talk. Let her know how you feel, and what you would rather happen. That way, at least she knows, and there's at least a chance that things will improve :)

I would love to do that. I've tried it several times. Here's how it'll go: 

Me: Mom, it hurt my feelings when you said X. 

Mom (frowning, as though in thought): When did I say that

Me: Last night, when you were lecturing me. You said X, and it hurt my feelings. 

Mom: I didn't say that. 

Me: You did, and I remember—

Mom (angry): No, I never said that to you! Maybe I said it to someone else and you overheard, and if you were listening in on my private conversations, SHAME ON YOU! Shame on you!

Me: Okay, I'm sorry, I must've misheard—

Mom: You did, because I would never say that, if you think I'd say something that heartless….(ensuing lecture omitted for brevity)

And I know that cutting me off to talk over me is different, but her reaction if I confronted her would be about the same. She'd have some "reason" for why she always does that, which would probably entail a list of my character flaws ("You can be flighty sometimes, and I feel like I have to come down on you like a hammer just to get you to remember what you'd planned to do next….") and wouldn't end until she'd covered the same points at least three times apiece.