Adolin in book 5

Zackarcanum

So being that every book has someone dying who’s it gonna be in the 5th?

its hard to explain the whole thought process, but its gotta be one of the main characters- cause that’s just what Brandon does lol… kills someone to prove the point of the book mistborn spoiler alert:

Spoiler

(i.e. vin)

so kaladin, dalinar, navani, renarin, adolin, shallan….

cant be kaladin cause his whole arc was about learning to live- obvious not.

dalinar- he’s becoming more of staple power in the world and it just wont fit his arc for him to die- too obvious and cliche so that’s a no!

shallan- also a no cause her arc is about living with the past and not running away from it and dying would be the ultimate hiding from her past.

renarin uh uh- he’s way too important now and essential to the plot plus we haven’t really seen his viewpoint on his personal struggles so it wouldn’t make sense to kill him.

which leaves navani and adolin…

navani is super important to dalinar so her death would be a huge impact plus she’s bonded to the tower which is interesting in her own right so just some food for thought too explore that idea…

but adolin is a for sure death!! My theory is that he’s going to sacrifice himself to somehow Restore his Spren maya back from being a deadeyes- he’s the only one in history who has brought some sentience to his spren and he did this by giving her something from himself (go read those chapters you’ll see what i mean) and his arc is about how he doesn’t know his place… by giving up his life for maya he will find himself plus bring her to life… also notice that he’s more attached to maya than anything else- even shallan- pay attention to how he talks to her and the care he has for her…

all in all just some food for thought lemme hear what you guys think!!!!

Edited by Zackarcanum

Do Szeth, Venli, Rlain, or Rock count as Main in this case?  

(Personally, I dont think it's Adolin because I think his means of Restoration of her is going to be a Connection thing that he'll need to be alive to maintain, while also unlocking Cultivation's version of the Surges for one or both of them.)

1 hour ago, Zackarcanum said:

its hard to explain the whole thought process, but its gotta be one of the main characters- cause that’s just what Brandon does lol… kills someone to prove the point of the book Mistborn spoilers:

Spoiler

(i.e. vin)

This is the Stormlight Archive only forum. Please edit your post and delete spoilers from other series or put them in a spoiler box with proper warning before. Also avoid double posting - you can report threads that were accidentally posted twice:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

55 minutes ago, Zackarcanum said:

its hard to explain the whole thought process, but its gotta be one of the main characters- cause that’s just what Brandon does lol… kills someone to prove the point of the book (i.e. vin)

Which main character died in WoK?

56 minutes ago, Zackarcanum said:

I see it very likely that he will die - he's always one step away from death.

56 minutes ago, Zackarcanum said:

dalinar- he’s becoming more of staple power in the world and it just wont fit his arc for him to die- too obvious and cliche so that’s a no!

Dalinar made himself a deal that forces him to fight in a duel - Taravangian spotted a loophole - it's very, very likely he will die.

57 minutes ago, Zackarcanum said:

And Lopen, Rock, Sizgil, Gaz, Shallan's brothers, Oroden, Gavinor, Szeth, Lift, Jasnah etc. There are a lot of characters to pick from. Was Teft a main character in RoW? No. Was Elhokar a main character of OB? No. Was Eshonai the main character of WoR? She had a few pov chapters but she wasn't really a main character.

navani is super important to dalinar so her death would be a huge impact plus she’s bonded to the tower which is interesting in her own right so just some food for thought too explore that idea…

Her importance to Dalinar is actually an argument for her death.

but adolin is a for sure death!! My theory is that he’s going to sacrifice himself to somehow Restore his Spren maya back from being a deadeyes- he’s the only one in history who has brought some sentience to his spren and he did this by giving her something from himself (go read those chapters you’ll see what i mean) and his arc is about how he doesn’t know his place… by giving up his life for maya he will find himself plus bring her to life… also notice that he’s more attached to maya than anything else- even shallan- pay attention to how he talks to her and the care he has for her…

How would his sacrifice restore Deadeye? Maya needs him and his bond to get restored. This is already happening, they are forming a bond and without that bond Maya would return to the state of total Deadeye. She needs him. In my opinion they are forming a reverse Nahel Bond, where Adolin's soul is filling cracks in Maya's soul, restoring her mind in process and linking her back to all three Realms. Adolin gave her his strength and breath during the trial, she is getting powers from Adolin, not the other way around. Without that bond Maya can't function. Adolin dying won't bring her back to life, it would reverse all of that they've achieved.

I think that if somebody will die in KoWT, that death must be impactful, not just for readers, but to the world and characters. I believe Dalinar will die or become Odium's Fused, as that presents us with the most impactful death, changing the entire conflict and affecting everyone on Roshar and even beyond. Kaladin is also very likely to die - he became almost a deity, his struggle and presence affects everybody, and everybody knows him. He is always there to fix problems, his absence would change a lot. Szeth might die but for different reasons - as a compilation of his arc. I don't really see anything in Adolin that would make me believe that his death is coming. He just started his own arc, but he isn't that important to the greater story, his death would impact few characters, mainly main characters and that's it. It would be just death, just somebody had to die. I don't feel it - but that's my opinion.

Of course, everything is possible.

I believe Dalinar will die or become Odium's Fused

I second this. I also think it would hurt the reader more if Dalinar turns into a bad guy, so I just don't think someone has to die for it to be impactful and sad.

Szeth might die but for different reasons - as a compilation of his arc

I think it makes a lot of sense for it to happen but I rather it not.

2 hours ago, Awakened rock stacker said:

I second this. I also think it would hurt the reader more if Dalinar turns into a bad guy, so I just don't think someone has to die for it to be impactful and sad.

I think it makes a lot of sense for it to happen but I rather it not.

I third it!

4 hours ago, Zackarcanum said:

renarin uh uh- he’s way too important now and essential to the plot plus we haven’t really seen his viewpoint on his personal struggles so it wouldn’t make sense to kill him.

Renarin is actually a PRIME candidate for death now with TOdium more than ever before IMO

• Taravangian KNOWS what Renarin's powers do to his own foresight and would want that removed post haste.
    • I would if I were TOdium anyway. For me Renarin would be target #1 for my assassins
      • if I didn't have assassins, I would get some of those stat as well
    • it's unclear that Rayse was aware of the "why" or if he could even see those sections (at least to me)
  • Renarin is actually redundant in a way from a power perspective now that Rlain has bonded an Enlightened Mist spren
    • yes, this doubles the area/people they can mask/blank, but if Renarin were removed it would leave Rlain able to fill the gap near Dalinar as well
  • He is a "top tier" (my words) character in that his death would be a huge blow to... well everyone of our main characters. Far more impact on characters than Teft
    • Adolin/Dalinar/Jasnah/Bridge Four/Kaladin would all esp. be crushed by his death
    • Navani & Shallan likely would as well, but I could see reasons why they'd be less impacted than the list above

Hmm...I think Adolin is high up on the list, but I think it'll be Szeth or no one will die. I think Kaladin will Ascend to Honor, Dalinar will pull some Connection shenanigans that allows Team Honor to win but leaves him as Zellion, and Adoin will lead a charge of newly revived Spren (and willing-to-bond Spren) as a "Big Storming Heroes" moment in the climax. 

Yes, Szeth has already died before, but I can't see a purpose for him in the second half of the series or the Cosmere as a whole. (Although him joining a Cosmere-hopping group would be hilarious. I can see him joining the Seventeenth Shard or other Cosmere-Aware groups as a sort of Ultimate Cop thing, but that's really it.)

On 9/1/2023 at 3:37 PM, Quantus said:

Do Szeth, Venli, Rlain, or Rock count as Main in this case?  

(Personally, I dont think it's Adolin because I think his means of Restoration of her is going to be a Connection thing that he'll need to be alive to maintain, while also unlocking Cultivation's version of the Surges for one or both of them.)

Szeth hasn’t really been a main character in regards to a growth arc neither rock or rlain so their impact by dying wouldn’t be such a game changer…

As to venli i hear more but I feel she’s too important in the plot to let her die- she’s the proof that even “evil” parshendi can be good and that the “original gods” have forgiven them like leshwi said

and in regards to adolin read the part where he’s in shadesmare- it seems like he’s giving her his own strength… not sure though… read it again and try to see what i mean

On 9/1/2023 at 7:27 AM, Zackarcanum said:

its hard to explain the whole thought process, but its gotta be one of the main characters- cause that’s just what Brandon does lol… kills someone to prove the point of the book mistborn spoiler alert:

Reveal hidden contents

(i.e. vin)

so kaladin, dalinar, navani, renarin, adolin, shallan….

shallan- also a no cause her arc is about living with the past and not running away from it and dying would be the ultimate hiding from her past.

all in all just some food for thought lemme hear what you guys think!!!!

Part of living is dying and choosing life is also choose death I think kal will die in book 5. (He is too big not too). Same with Jasna.

On 9/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, Zackarcanum said:

and in regards to adolin read the part where he’s in shadesmare- it seems like he’s giving her his own strength… not sure though… read it again and try to see what i mean

Oh, yes, that's precisely what Im thinking of what I say I think there's a more specific Connection happening there, and a more specific goal to the deadeyes. Especially in light of the WOB that says there are as many as 30 surges, implying a Cultivation set of Surges similar to the Honor/Radiant and Odium/Void variants.

Edited by Quantus

What About Syl? In Row we found out Ishar made spren physical and somehow killed them. So couldn't it be possible for one of the Radiant's spren to die? If Ishar attempts this could he kill Syl. The deaths in the last two books really affected Kaladin the most so whoever dies in the 5th book might as well be very damaging to Kaladin.

11 hours ago, Stormlit Shard said:

What About Syl? In Row we found out Ishar made spren physical and somehow killed them. So couldn't it be possible for one of the Radiant's spren to die? If Ishar attempts this could he kill Syl.

Yeah, I hate this. I totally understand that it's possible, and the books are clearly moving in a direction that will involve more spren deaths. But I really don't want this for Kaladin. This would just break him, and if he's going to swear the fifth ideal I don't know how he'd do it without Syl. Maybe he'll swear it and then she'll die. That would break my heart.

I don't think Adolin will die because he hasn't completed his arc and killing him would kind of throw away everything he built up with Maya. If he dies and Maya lives then either Maya would need to leave the story or have her bond with someone else(most likely a new character). Unless it was done with extreme care it would come off as a wasted character.