Lieutenant Jiang Zhangrong began their second sweep of the building. Most still lingered near their original positions, but some had shifted slightly, as though they had left and returned. Perhaps to the toilets, but perhaps to a more nefarious location. It was impossible to know a man's heart without seeking it. Unrooting treachery would take a more personal approach. The compound had far too many corners away from prying eyes and listening ears. A gilded knife. Still fatal, but worth something. They could communicate privately with the soldiers and possibly unearth the rot in their hearts. Any who were reticent would be noted as such. The more people they could trust, the better. But they would have to be wary. They knew their own heart. They knew well their tendency to throw in their lot at the slightest affection. They could not trust their heart. They could only trust the shining chains of logic. To speak to the others in private was to jeopardize their mind. But it would be done. Their knowledge of positioning was worthwhile. They would be able to locate and isolate each soldier. It would not quite be an interrogation. Such tactics would only serve to create distance. But it would not be the warm regard of trust.  

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Yeah, hear hear, society is meritocratic and the other boy was a weak freeloader who didn't deserve success! Now give me my money, I calculate that you owe me three of the big coins, and ten of the little ones. Plus interest for making me wait. I'm not getting any younger here 

Randen’s eyes fill with bright, malevolent rage. “You do not speak of my brother that way.” He draws his sword, holding it to Georg’s throat. “I swear. I don’t care how old and dignified you are, or how important your business is in the agriculture industry. If you speak in that manner again, I will cut out your tongue and pull whatever teeth you have left, so that you may never sully another good man’s reputation.”

Randen sheathed his sword, breathing heavily. He’d lost control of his temper again. He knew, rationally, that if he did that he was liable to lose his position; then, he’d be back on the streets. It was like a game of lidan. If you played your hand, your cards were at risk of being exploited by others. And in real life, there was no Dor card; no way to wipe the slate clean of your mistakes. He calmed himself.

“I apologize, Georg,” Randen said through gritted teeth. What kind of name was “Georg,” anyway? It sounded vaguely Svordish. “I acted rashly.”

Changing the subject, he asked the room: “If you were a traitor, who would you… dispatch? Which one of us would you kill to further their goals?” It was a gruesome question, but one he believed needed to be asked.

Edited by Szeth_Pancakes

47 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Randen’s eyes fill with bright, malevolent rage. “You do not speak of my brother that way.” He draws his sword, holding it to Georg’s throat. “I swear. I don’t care how old and dignified you are, or how important your business is in the agriculture industry. If you speak in that manner again, I will cut out your tongue and pull whatever teeth you have left, so that you may never sully another good man’s reputation.”

Randen sheathed his sword, breathing heavily. He’d lost control of his temper again. He knew, rationally, that if he did that he was liable to lose his position; then, he’d be back on the streets again. It was like a game of lidan. If you played your hand, your cards were at risk of being exploited by others. And in real life, there was no Dor card; no way to wipe the slate clean of your mistakes. He calmed himself.

“I apologize, Georg,” Randen said through gritted teeth. What kind of name was “Georg,” anyway? It sounded vaguely Svordish. “I acted rashly.”

Changing the subject, he asked the room: “If you were a traitor, who would you… dispatch? Which one of us would you kill to further their goals?” It was a gruesome question, but one he believed needed to be asked.

“Well,” Mallard said, “if I were a traitor, I’d want to kill a poet.” She glanced around the room at the various word-wielding members of the group. Stupid poets. You ask one a question, and what do you get? A riddle or an additional question.

Poets, so obsessed with being better than those around them, would be of little use to finding a traitor. Unless there turns out to be some sort of a clue that needs solving, their so-called “talents” wouldn’t be able to stop a murderer.

See, a duck wrangler, for instance, might be able to grapple with an escaping assassin. Their muscles would normally be enough to hold an opponent at bay. You ask a duck wrangler a question, and she’ll give you an answer. An honest answer, too honest for some, maybe, like a sensitive poet. Tell a poet something he doesn’t like, and he’ll attempt to spin words around you, put tou off your feet. A duck wrangler will just go ahead and literally put you off your feet.

Mallard decidedly did not like poets.

But alas, hating on poets didn’t help them find a killer. Unless, Mallard considered, the killer was a poet. She decided she would keep them under a watchful eye.

Snapping out of what was rapidly becoming a reverie (accursed reveries), Mallard stood up. “Men,” she declared, “today is not a day to be arguing amongst ourselves. When it comes down to a point that we all have differing views on who the traitors might be, then we will argue.” Mallard stumbled in her speech. She had been raised to beat up ducks, not what ever this was. Doubt crept into her heart, seeping through the edges. What if they didn’t find a traitor? What if the true culprits were right under their noses, going unnoticed? Well, I’ll strangle that duck when the time comes. “Now,” she said quietly, “we find somebody to beat up.”

EDIT: goshdang, it is so much harder to read people when everyone RPs

Edited by TheAlpha929

Guards! Randen has a sword! If this were a game of Clue, I'd be most of the way to winning now that I've caught someone with the murder weapon.
I think the people we've heard from the most (RPers) are a good group to check for baddies in. Spies get a jolt of adrenaline from their position, which I reckon translates into high degrees of commitment to being vocal.
But now that I think about that, me old man brain seems to have been a little foggy. I remember hearing from [Xino, Stick, and Alpha - and TKN and TJ, for the record] before this all started. [Fifth] could be considered the exception, if you compare them to earlier.
[Wiz] was unvocal, and they've stayed that way. That's a positive sign.
If I assume that the baddies will acquire a decent amount of social credit, SP for short, the right move might be to get rid of these freeloaders. Silent individuals who have yet to contribute to strengthening our position. [See that Xino QF with bidding where the elims won by killing high earners and the village exed the other high earners, leaving me, a decently high earner, in a good position to buy a knife and evil triumph].
[I'm not confident that Fifth RPing heavily is out of character for them. Therefore no deviation from the norm, so it's a moot point for analysis. Genuinely considering Contribution Crusading as the best path right now].
But what do I know. I'm just an old man who misses his duck farm. 

27 minutes ago, Archer said:

Guards! Randen has a sword! If this were a game of Clue, I'd be most of the way to winning now that I've caught someone with the murder weapon.

[Randen is a high-level bodyguard. What do you think he has? A knife?]

4 hours ago, JNV said:

Lieutenant Jiang Zhangrong began their second sweep of the building. Most still lingered near their original positions, but some had shifted slightly, as though they had left and returned. Perhaps to the toilets, but perhaps to a more nefarious location. It was impossible to know a man's heart without seeking it. Unrooting treachery would take a more personal approach. The compound had far too many corners away from prying eyes and listening ears. A gilded knife. Still fatal, but worth something. They could communicate privately with the soldiers and possibly unearth the rot in their hearts. Any who were reticent would be noted as such. The more people they could trust, the better. But they would have to be wary. They knew their own heart. They knew well their tendency to throw in their lot at the slightest affection. They could not trust their heart. They could only trust the shining chains of logic. To speak to the others in private was to jeopardize their mind. But it would be done. Their knowledge of positioning was worthwhile. They would be able to locate and isolate each soldier. It would not quite be an interrogation. Such tactics would only serve to create distance. But it would not be the warm regard of trust.  

Krow's eyebrow lifted imperceptibly as he watched the lieutenant begin his second circuit. No one else was even moving, and here was the lieutenant already circling the building twice? He resolved to speak to the man if he began a third circuit. Perhaps the man needed to delegate a little better. General Yuen would never have let his men go idle if there were things that needed to be done.

1 hour ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Randen sheathed his sword, breathing heavily. He’d lost control of his temper again. He knew, rationally, that if he did that he was liable to lose his position; then, he’d be back on the streets. It was like a game of lidan. If you played your hand, your cards were at risk of being exploited by others. And in real life, there was no Dor card; no way to wipe the slate clean of your mistakes. He calmed himself.

Krow frowned. "What kind of question is that? Surely you do not think that any traitors in our midst would tell the truth, do you?" He took a step closer, shifting his stance to leave his sword visible in its sheath on his hip. "And if we are innocent, what use would it be to know who we bear grudges against? All I can see that leading to is discord and conflict."

21 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think the people we've heard from the most (RPers) are a good group to check for baddies in. Spies get a jolt of adrenaline from their position, which I reckon translates into high degrees of commitment to being vocal.
But now that I think about that, me old man brain seems to have been a little foggy. I remember hearing from [Xino, Stick, and Alpha - and TKN and TJ, for the record] before this all started. [Fifth] could be considered the exception, if you compare them to earlier.
If I assume that the baddies will acquire a decent amount of social credit, SP for short, the right move might be to get rid of these freeloaders. Silent individuals who have yet to contribute to strengthening our position. [See that Xino QF with bidding where the elims won by killing high earners and the village exed the other high earners, leaving me, a decently high earner, in a good position to buy a knife and evil triumph].
[I'm not confident that Fifth RPing heavily is out of character for them. Therefore no deviation from the norm, so it's a moot point for analysis. Genuinely considering Contribution Crusading as the best path right now].

"Surely a spy would remain silent?" Krow tilted his head. "Every word out of their mouth is a liability, certainly. At any moment, they could slip up, and then-" he made a cutting motion with his hand. "Better to be silent and out of notice than in the spotlight."

26 minutes ago, Archer said:

"If you ask me," Krow said in a quiet voice, "I think we should take a closer look at Left and Right. [Devotary]. They've already betrayed one faction. Who's to say they won't betray another?"

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Krow frowned. "What kind of question is that? Surely you do not think that any traitors in our midst would tell the truth, do you?" He took a step closer, shifting his stance to leave his sword visible in its sheath on his hip. "And if we are innocent, what use would it be to know who we bear grudges against? All I can see that leading to is discord and conflict."

“Discord and conflict are a weapon for our side, if used correctly. Besides, I don’t want to know who you have a grudge on. I want to know who you think the traitors would have a grudge on.”

3 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Krow's eyebrow lifted imperceptibly as he watched the lieutenant begin his second circuit. No one else was even moving, and here was the lieutenant already circling the building twice? He resolved to speak to the man if he began a third circuit. Perhaps the man needed to delegate a little better. General Yuen would never have let his men go idle if there were things that needed to be done.

"Surely a spy would remain silent?" Krow tilted his head. "Every word out of their mouth is a liability, certainly. At any moment, they could slip up, and then-" he made a cutting motion with his hand. "Better to be silent and out of notice than in the spotlight."

"If you ask me," Krow said in a quiet voice, "I think we should take a closer look at Left and Right. [Devotary]. They've already betrayed one faction. Who's to say they won't betray another?"

Let’s make sure that all votes we want counted are put in the GM PM :P 

39 minutes ago, Archer said:

I'll try to maintain a lighter thread presence on these clarifications from next cycle onwards as I dislike proactive clarifications. But once again citing the mechanic issue, and the fact that from a GMing perspective, I dislike leaving players to work on false information, and also hope that by giving instances of what does and doesn't count, people will be better prepared for the next cycle:

I do draw the line for IC RP here. This post doesn't count to SP. It's a bit too perfunctory about the core conceit of the role. (Sorry.)

I've also been asked if having 400 words in a single RP post counts for 2 SP. Answer is it does not. Split it into two separate posts.

Left slipped back to her and Right’s room before Kezin finished speaking. A lockdown could only precede a search, and she couldn’t afford to let anyone else search their room. Every guard from veteran status up knew that she and Right were from Heritage Faction, but only Senior Arbiter Wuzhi knew the deal they had made with him. It wouldn’t do for an overzealous soldier to discover their correspondence with Heritage's Senior Arbiter stamped with her official seal and decide to execute them. Wuzhi may have permitted their communication with Kurishina, but he still didn’t trust them and would frown on the death of one of his steadfastly loyal guards.  

Left stowed the incriminating stamps on her person and grabbed her latest report off the bed, to which she’d have to append the death of the Svordish ambassador. She picked up Right’s latest correspondence and paused. Sections of it used Right’s personal cipher, not the general one Kurishina used for both of them which used a key she had shared with Wuzhi. Neither of them had told him about this second, rarer layer of encryption. Better not to give out too many secrets at once to a new employer, no matter what promises he made. She could decipher the message, but it would take time she didn’t have. She tucked both letters away, resolving to read the latter later unless Right could give her the details directly.

8 hours ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

He stared at the stamp card in his hand. Could the traitors have a Forger on their side? If so, how much advantage would that give them? They weren’t omnipotent creatures, but they were powerful. Then again, the Forger couldn’t work quickly. If they had one, it would probably only have time to forge one stamp…

Kurishina disdained the use of Forgery to rewrite a person's past, but had taught her acolytes enough of the workings of every other type that Right could respond to Randen's musings. A stamp needn't truly be Forgery to conceal someone's allegiance, but there was no time to have that discussion, nor did most long-term members of Discovery care about the distinction.

"A stamp can ensure that one traitor remains undetected no matter how much they're searched. Or, it permits them to lie about the results of a search. It's not guaranteed that a soldier reported guilty by the captain's favor and confirmed guilty by popular vote is actually disloyal no matter the evidence against them, though such a trick forgoes the former use."

6 hours ago, Archer said:

Oh look, the Two of Armadillos. No wait, I declared falsely. It was the Three of Armadillos. I suspect the spies may be able to lay false claims as well, either with confidence if they win the bidding, or as a bluff, if the kill the one who wins the bidding. Suppose they mislead us a third of the time through one of these strategies, allowing them to defend a teammate.

Now for my final card… the UNO Reverse! We can reverse our misfortune, but only by acting quickly! We stand to be outnumbered within four days, if we fail to uncover anything. In my old age, 130, please stop yammering on about it, I forgot to factor in the secret voting mechanic. Slight village benefit, but not so much that an extra bad guy is reasonable.

Right turned her attention to the farmer. His ramblings obscured words that made even less sense.

"Only the captain knows who the highest bidder is. Who would dare guess otherwise when the penalty for guessing incorrectly is death? Though, you do have a grain of truth. Those known to be wealthy in favor are also prime targets, and both their survival and inability to bid successfully must be carefully noted. Too, how can secrets be a boon? The benefit of public opinion is its open nature. Unaccountability breeds corruption."

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

Ah, there was the accusation Right had been waiting for. So tedious. This was why only veterans, the lieutenant, the captain, and the Senior Arbiter himself had been informed of her and Left's affiliation. If Wuzhi hadn't seen fit to inform Krow of the steps the two of them had taken to gain Wuzhi's trust, she wouldn't inform Krow either.

"Our actions will speak for themselves. Will yours?"

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity
added missing words in italics

21 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

“Discord and conflict are a weapon for our side, if used correctly. Besides, I don’t want to know who you have a grudge on. I want to know who you think the traitors would have a grudge on.”

Krow sniffed. "How is fighting amongst ourselves ever going to lead anywhere? I've seen firsthand how that kind of thing only leads to the death of good, honest people. We have enough on our hands as it is." He relaxed his posture. "But to answer your question- I doubt the traitors will be killing based on petty anger. No one here is important enough to have earned the wrath of whomever it is they take orders from. Not unless they know something they shouldn't."

24 minutes ago, TheAlpha929 said:

Let’s make sure that all votes we want counted are put in the GM PM :P

"I've made my suspicions known to the captain." Krow didn't add that the man hadn't looked too convinced - had almost dismissed him outright, in fact - which had shocked him. It was true that Left and Right being deserters didn't necessarily make them traitors, but surely it at least warranted a closer inspection? Perhaps if he was able to convince other people, he could sway the captain's opinion.

12 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Ah, there was the accusation Right had been waiting for. So tedious. This was why only veterans, the lieutenant, the captain, and the Senior Arbiter himself had been informed of her and Left's affiliation. If Wuzhi hadn't seen fit to inform Krow of the steps the two of them had taken to gain Wuzhi's trust, she wouldn't inform Krow either.

"Our actions will speak for themselves. Will yours?"

Krow just barely managed to keep from flinching at the woman's voice from behind him. How long had Right been listening in? Lights, was she creepy sometimes.

He turned to face Right, keeping his expression neutral. "What actions?" he prodded. "You haven't caught a traitor already, have you? It hasn't even been an hour."

20 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

[Randen is a high-level bodyguard. What do you think he has? A knife?]

See I started that post wanting to vote for you, mostly on the basis of unusually high RP levels, but then I remembered your pre game activity and it didn't make sense any more

16 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

I don't know if you realize I'm the prime kill target and are trying to make me say it, or if you're asking for trusts in a highly unusual way

20 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Surely a spy would remain silent?"

Is this a way of setting up your CC vote or is this a belief about elim activity generally? 

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I do draw the line for IC RP here. This post doesn't count to SP. It's a bit too perfunctory about the core conceit of the role. (Sorry.)

I've also been asked if having 400 words in a single RP post counts for 2 SP. Answer is it does not. Split it into two separate posts.

Good to know. You brought this upon yourself. 

Three years ago. The Wasintown Ant Farm (And Duck Emporium). 
"Grandpa Georg! Look what I've found." A young boy in dusty overalls skipped towards the porch. 
Georg leaned forward in his rocking chair, pushing his glasses up his nose to see what the lad was holding. "Well shucks, son. If that isn't the reddest ant I've ever seen!" 
The boy shifted his weight from side to side, barely able to contain his excitement. "Is it a Queen?" 
Georg pinched it gently, careful not to break its delicate legs as he inspected it. "I'm sorry, lad. I don't think so. But it's a good sign. I'm sure we'll find a red one to breed soon. There's more of em being made every day."
"Grandpa Georg, are we doing this right?" 
The old man chuckled. "Well even if we aren't, you know what we say about mistakes."
"Feed them to the ducks?" 
"That's right. Life became so much easier when we implemented that policy." 
"Yeah. I still miss my brother though." 
Georg tussled the boy's hair. "You can't live life with regrets. Now scram, you need to feed the blue colony before sundown. You don't want them to swarm!" 
In the distance, thunder rumbled. A storm was brewing. 

19 minutes ago, Archer said:

See I started that post wanting to vote for you, mostly on the basis of unusually high RP levels, but then I remembered your pre game activity and it didn't make sense any more

I don't know if you realize I'm the prime kill target and are trying to make me say it, or if you're asking for trusts in a highly unusual way

[I have a rare lapse in rl activity rn, so I’m making the most of it :P]

[Answered in PMs]

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

Krow just barely managed to keep from flinching at the woman's voice from behind him. How long had Right been listening in? Lights, was she creepy sometimes.

He turned to face Right, keeping his expression neutral. "What actions?" he prodded. "You haven't caught a traitor already, have you? It hasn't even been an hour."

Right smirked, but was careful not to let the expression show. Kurishina's ReSealers who had enhanced her and Left's appearances and physical capabilities were excellent, but her 12 years as Kurishina's spy, bodyguard, assassin, personal assistant, anything she might desire was what made her more than a match for Discovery's best. Regardless of whether Wuzhi resorted to reshaping his favored subordinates' experiences to his tastes, nothing could beat a solid foundation of true lived experience with modifications merely as an added bonus. He would be forced to admit that soon enough. For now, recounting her credentials as Heritage's agent would hardly dissuade someone suspecting her for that very past.

"We'll catch the traitors. I'm sure you won't have to worry."

{Pause to note that Archer's view of anonymous voting in the previous game was that it benefited the elims. Since he was evil that game, perhaps that's a point in his favor. I suppose anonymous voting does make it more difficult for the elims to stamp the player who dies to the exe}

Left emerged from her quarters to see Right arguing with Wuzhi's 4th in command. She had done a good job distracting the man from her own disappearance, but now that she was able to rejoin the crowd, drawing too much attention was counterproductive. The killers couldn't be allowed to see them coming, nor could they afford their investigation being derailed by personal disputes.

She signaled Right. Evidence retrieved. Her responding gesture was sharp. Talk later. Our room. Left took the hint. There was no time to keep Kurishina informed when the mission for Discovery faction was so urgent. 10 soldiers had to be investigated thoroughly in only a few hours.

1 minute ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

{Pause to note that Archer's view of anonymous voting in the previous game was that it benefited the elims. Since he was evil that game, perhaps that's a point in his favor. I suppose anonymous voting does make it more difficult for the elims to stamp the player who dies to the exe}

Disadvantage: we don't know who is dying today

Advantage: neither do they

Nice to be on the ignorant bliss side of that this game. 

Two years ago. The Wasintown Ant Farm (And Duck Emporium). 
Georg looked out over the flooded valley. The tips of ant hills poked through the murky waters. On them and around them, hoards of ducks were roosting for the night. 
"At least the ants are gone," he muttered. 
In the distance, two of them began to jostle for position on one of the islands. That began to wake the others, signaling the beginning of a new day of battle. 
One year ago. The Wasintown Ant Farm (And Duck Emporium). 
"HEAVE!" The farmers pulled the ancient chain. The links pulled taught as their muscles strained. 
"HEAVE!" The sound of quacking grew louder. There wasn't much time before they would be found. 
There was a pop, and a sudden loosening of the tension. Georg scanned the valley for a reason to be hopeful. It appeared in the form of a whirlpool, sudden and fast, sucking water into it with gusto. At long last, the valley was draining. 
"Finally gonna be rid of them," someone remarked. 
Georg didn't respond. 
"Why the long face? You're free of them."
Georg extended a finger. They followed his gaze to the mounds. Long thought abandoned. Drowned and destroyed. The ant hills were moving again. The bugs had survived. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Is this a way of setting up your CC vote or is this a belief about elim activity generally? 

Good to know. You brought this upon yourself. 

Three years ago. The Wasintown Ant Farm (And Duck Emporium). 
"Grandpa Georg! Look what I've found." A young boy in dusty overalls skipped towards the porch. 
Georg leaned forward in his rocking chair, pushing his glasses up his nose to see what the lad was holding. "Well shucks, son. If that isn't the reddest ant I've ever seen!" 
The boy shifted his weight from side to side, barely able to contain his excitement. "Is it a Queen?" 
Georg pinched it gently, careful not to break its delicate legs as he inspected it. "I'm sorry, lad. I don't think so. But it's a good sign. I'm sure we'll find a red one to breed soon. There's more of em being made every day."
"Grandpa Georg, are we doing this right?" 
The old man chuckled. "Well even if we aren't, you know what we say about mistakes."
"Feed them to the ducks?" 
"That's right. Life became so much easier when we implemented that policy." 
"Yeah. I still miss my brother though." 
Georg tussled the boy's hair. "You can't live life with regrets. Now scram, you need to feed the blue colony before sundown. You don't want them to swarm!" 
In the distance, thunder rumbled. A storm was brewing. 

[I’m really worried about that kid’s brother.]

Whenever he was conflicted about something, Randen had always found jotting down notes helpful. He grabbed a piece of paper and began to write:

Maybe traitorous: Mallard, Krow

In the clear: Georg

Mallard didn’t seem to want to talk about anything to do with the traitors, and Krow was dodging Randen’s question like nobody’s business. Georg had commiserated with Randen privately, and Randen determined that he likely wasn’t a traitor (though the next hour could change that, depending on how things unfolded).

Randen sighed. That was a depressingly short list.

Secrets and lies. Lies and secrets. The deceit wasn’t getting them anywhere.

On that day, years ago

The rivers ran red

With the blood of that man

Not forgotten, not by me

Rivers ran red with innocent blood

Yet traitorous too?

Never was there a truer man

A more devoted general

Yet he still died

Forgotten and alone

Only one widow was made that day

Yet the tears of many stained the snow

Not just the cold freezing their hearts

But the truth that nested deep inside

And a burning question, some dared to ask

"Why? Why did he have to die?"

This man more myth than legend

Yet he to was felled like a common tree

Hewn from his roots and left to return to the ground

Where the 80 suns could shine on him no more

His spears were shattered

His swords turned into slab 

All that was left of the metal was a small cube

That was left for his grieving widow

A tiny metal cube

All that was left of the great work

Carved by his bloody weapons

There had been over 100 names for him

Now a single one was left

Branded on top of his grave

TRAITOR

A once great legacy

Dragged through the muck

And now all that was left was

A mystery

An enigma

[OOC: Been far too long since I've written some free verse poetry :D And I guess Rambleton is now a sympathizer as well which should lead to some hilarious clashes, how are we feeling up for a duel of words/poems Fifth :eyes: Just wanted to finish the poem and I'll re-read over the thread with fresh eyes in the morning. Recieved some interesting offers so far though I will note]

18 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

[I’m really worried about that kid’s brother.]

Whenever he was conflicted about something, Randen had always found jotting down notes helpful. He grabbed a piece of paper and began to write:

Maybe traitorous: Mallard, Krow

In the clear: Georg

Mallard didn’t seem to want to talk about anything to do with the traitors, and Krow was dodging Randen’s question like nobody’s business. Georg had commiserated with Randen privately, and Randen determined that he likely wasn’t a traitor (though the next hour could change that, depending on how things unfolded).

Randen sighed. That was a depressingly short list.

Secrets and lies. Lies and secrets. The deceit wasn’t getting them anywhere.

I too have PM with Archer, and I agree that he seems village.

Frankly I'm a little confused by what you mean regarding me. I wonder-- pure speculation here-- if you two's suspicions of me are playing off of one another. He is also a bit e-leaning toward me, it would seem. Would you care going into more details on why you feel like I might be dancing around anything to do with the elims?

6 minutes ago, TheAlpha929 said:

I too have PM with Archer, and I agree that he seems village.

Frankly I'm a little confused by what you mean regarding me. I wonder-- pure speculation here-- if you two's suspicions of me are playing off of one another. He is also a bit e-leaning toward me, it would seem. Would you care going into more details on why you feel like I might be dancing around anything to do with the elims?

[I don’t like how you joke-answered my question, for one thing (the “I don’t like poets” thing). It feels like derailing discussion, which elims are sometimes wont to do C1, especially in a game of this nature. It’s super mild. But I don’t have much else to go on, so there you go.]

28 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

[I don’t like how you joke-answered my question, for one thing (the “I don’t like poets” thing). It feels like derailing discussion, which elims are sometimes wont to do C1, especially in a game of this nature. It’s super mild. But I don’t have much else to go on, so there you go.]

Oh yeah, that post. I had intended to answer it for real, but I got too in-character. Told you I was bad at RP. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Well technically it's nearly half an hour past Rollovet but I just got out of class, so :P

[Right. Sometimes I forget you live on the other side of the world.

It’s 9 PM here >>]

Edited by Szeth_Pancakes

The hour was already half over, and Lieutenant Jiang Zhangrong had not yet communicated privately with every soldier. The clock conspired against them. With a sigh, they set aside their list of remaining soldiers. If any wished to speak to them in private, let them approach. In a choice between pulling every soldier aside and focusing on the case at hand, they would have to choose the latter. Perhaps in the next hour, after a well-needed moment to simply breathe. Perhaps they were not handling the pressure with the grace and elegance expected of a proper lieutenant. It was difficult to see their fellow soldiers through the lens of suspicion. Discerning what was individual quirks and what was an indication of treachery was perhaps a task better suited for one more enlightened in matters of the mind. 

It was particularly difficult to discern an instinctive distaste for those they thought unfit to be soldiers from genuine suspicion, as was the case with the soldiers who had possibly stopped playing cards at last, as well as with the farmer. They would have to examine their notes of past statements in more detail and find connections. But they were tired, and the hour was late, and it would be better to succumb to sleep earlier in the night. Just a quick nap...