8 minutes ago, TheAlpha929 said:

To the most recent user of the signet scan: Who did you scan, and what was the result?

"Gaovaris claims to have obtained permission to search Geoff's belongings from the captain." Krow gestured at the man.  "Given recent events, it's hard to doubt Geoff's loyalty, so it shouldn't shock anyone to hear he didn't find anything." He sighed. "Not very useful information to have, but I suppose we can't help that." Hopefully Right and Left would be found guilty; then they would only be one step away from the end of this nightmare. He was certain, now, that the spies were three in number. Any fewer than that, and they would have stood no chance at all of escaping alive. Any more, and they would have been able to overwhelm the remaining soldiers and escape. That was good news; it meant that this could all be over after the next hour had passed. But if they had caught the second traitor, that meant that the third traitor would be on their highest guard. Kezin had informed him that the traitors were suspected of having access to MaiPon black magic capable of distorting the truth, but nothing so far suggested that they had used it. Perhaps the rumours were false... or maybe, just maybe, they were saving it for the final hours of the night, when everything would hang in the balance.

Hours that were growing ever closer as the water continued to flow.

2 hours ago, TheAlpha929 said:

To the most recent user of the signet scan: Who did you scan, and what was the result?

As Xino said, I scanned Archer to make sure he wasn't pulling one over on us. But I also don't think we can rely on any more scans, since JNV showed up red (the correct alignment) and Archer showed up green (the correct alignment) which means the last elim (or one of them) is probably stamped green. It would be pretty dumb if they hadn't already.

Edit: So unless we get a red scan that suggests there are two elims remaining, we should just assume any and all green scans are subject to trickery. 

Edited by The Known Novel

Hour Four: Heritage

Water trickled through the clock.

Fade was decently certain that Lee was a Glory spy—but also that there were other spies within the compound he had not yet identified. If you lived for long enough, as Fade had, you learned a number of unflinching truths about the realities of the world. Leky, of course, was a spy. She would eventually be thoroughly debriefed by the Svordish when she returned to Svorden. He’d suspicions of some of the other servants and soldiers. The Faction spies right now were the ones of greater concern.

A clever move, agitating those still loyal to Yuen. He was certain they were merely useful idiots, and indeed, had made his report to the Senior Arbiter on that presumption.

“Five long years,” Senior Arbiter had said, thoughtfully.

“They’ve not shown discontent until now,” Fade said. “Mutterings, yes, but any army camp has them. No, someone whispered to them, gave them a way to strike back.” Using one group to fight another was often the better option. Particularly when  it left you plausible deniability.

“I have no doubt about that,” Wuzhi said.

The problem was trying to pin it on someone more definite. From what Fade could tell, events had taken Lee by surprise. So their agitator wasn’t Lee, either. The letter that Georg Wasintown had found was only so helpful. There were coded names, implications that Fade was working to trace, but the clock was against him.

He heard the footsteps—the Captain always walked with a fairly distinctive tread—and turned about.

“Lieutenant Jiang was one of the traitors,” Kezin said. Never really hid his distaste, though Fade presumed Kezin himself thought he did a good job of it. Still, what Kezin felt was Fade’s business only so far as it portended anything for whether the Captain could still be relied on, or whether the Senior Arbiter’s interests were seriously endangered.

“Good work, Captain.”

“Why?” Kezin asked, abruptly.

He never had questioned, Fade thought. The very last time he’d done so was five years ago. It was difficult not to see the angry young lieutenant, and the older Captain. Standing down Yuen’s forces and allowing their redeployment had done very well for Kezin’s prospects.

“I told you why,” Fade said, calmly.

“The General has been dead for five years,” Kezin said. “How does anyone hate for such a long time?”

“How did you?” Fade riposted; noticed the angry flush as Kezin glared at him. He had to be allowed his little amusements. But he relented. Having the Captain onside at this point of time had its advantages. “Did you really think it was about Yuen all this while?”

“If not Yuen, then who?”

Fade raised an eyebrow. “We’re in the middle of a quiet war between Factions at the moment, Captain,” he pointed out, clinically. “Everyone senses weakness, given the state of the Rose Throne.”

“You don’t know either.”

“No,” Fade said. “That’s your job, Captain. Eliminate the last of Yuen’s loyalists, while I find out who actually has been trying to stir them into action. Just keep doing exactly what you’ve been doing, and make enough noise to flush them out.”

image.png

Krow Nelcaf—after all this time, a lieutenant, something he could barely bring himself to quite believe—stilled himself, resisted the urge to pace, and watched the other soldiers arguing. 

A few candidates came to mind. Gaovaris—the scholar kept sneaking off to practise his sword-strokes, as though developing a sudden passion for swordsmanship would save his hide from the Captain’s sword…and perhaps give him a convenient excuse to evade suspicion. Then there was Mallard. She claimed that Georg had taken her into confidence, but really, just about anyone would’ve claimed that at this point. There was a certain implication to it. Krow thought of it as ‘innocence by association.’ 

He also thought it was probably like the fungi they’d eaten that harsh winter campaign.

Ripling continued to declaim poems to the glory of the Emperor, but Krow had a distrust of the pretty words the man used. 

And there was the soldier who sold goods in his spare time. Fletcher, that was the name. The way Krow saw it, he could be smuggling any varieties of contraband into the compound.

Left and Right had both been flagged as being suspicious, and Krow understood why. For one, they’d both defected from the Heritage Faction. For another, the pair worked together sword-by-scabbard. You very rarely saw Left—or for that matter, Right—operating alone. For good or for ill, everyone in the company understood that the two were a package deal. Which meant that if one of them was a traitor, so was the other one.

And yet, a nagging voice at the back of his mind whispered doubt. It sounded, Krow would admit, disturbingly like the voice of the man he’d just seen the Captain cut down, an hour ago.

Questioning their loyalties was one thing. 

But wasn’t he damned for his thoughts all the same?

image.png

“You have your orders, Lieutenant,” the General had said. Cool as meltwater. Sometimes, Kezin hated the man. The General bled—he’d seen as much. But maybe he had no bones but duty.

He knew that wasn’t true, now. He’d watched as they dragged the body out and burned it.

“You’re bloody insane, that’s what you are,” Kezin spat. “We believed in you. They aren’t worth the dust on your boots.”

“I will not tell you again,” the General said. “When they ask it of you…tell the men to stand down.”

“You ask for more than can be delivered,” Kezin said. Had dared to say.

General Yuen laughed, and it was a ghost of a smile that flickered across his face, briefly. As though he was already a ghost, and no longer flesh and blood.

“I told you once, when you first served under me. I said I would not ask of you the impossible.”

“You lied, sir.”

But he’d done it, after all. And something in him had probably died, that day the General demanded it of him.

Kezin knew why. Or thought he did. Fade thought otherwise. If you focused enough on your duty, none of it mattered. He could be as harsh as they all made him.

image.png

Left eased into the sleeping quarters, trailing Right with ease. She’d noticed the moment Right had slipped away, as the rest of the soldiers were arguing over the former Lieutenant Jiang’s complicity and what that meant for everyone.

She had kept herself concealed, even as Right had stopped by their bed and started rifling through the chest that stored their personal belongings. 

Something told her, however reluctantly, that this was going to be ugly.

Some things were better seen with her own eyes.

When Right picked up the scytale, she felt a bright, sharp blade of pain bloom in her heart like the first grass of spring.

“After all this while,” Left said, quietly. She couldn’t help herself, stepping forward. She didn’t have the heart to do anything else, to act as though the earth hadn’t tilted beneath her, throwing her off. “I thought we’d agreed to defect from Heritage. Give up Senior Arbiter Kurishina’s schemes.”

“In exchange for Senior Arbiter Wuzhi’s schemes?” Right scoffed. “For what?”

Left thought she could see it, just a little. One way or another, it was a game of stones, and they were all just pieces, every last one of them. But it didn’t take away the pain when she breathed, the dawning sense that she’d badly misread the shape of events in the last few years.

Or maybe it was Right who had.

“Heritage needed eyes in Discovery,” Right continued. “Whoever Wuzhi’s spymaster is, he’s good. Our last three spies were all killed. Which means, dear Left, that we needed our cover to be impeccable.”

Left closed her eyes.

It wasn’t that Right had lied to her. They all lied. Sometimes, Left thought she lied just to keep in practice. 

It was the realisation that she’d simply been used. Used to purchase their way, Heritage’s way, into Discovery. For what? To what end?

Ten years. Ten long years, sharing this life together, and Left realised that she didn’t recognise the other half of her being. 

She didn’t like Senior Arbiter Wuzhi. This much was true. She thought he had too many grand plans, too many ambitions. He treated everyone like pieces in a game of stones, and even if it was true, it wasn’t something that made the man likeable

She knew all of this, and still she’d given her loyalties truthfully. Still, she had meant to run from Kurishina, and all this while, Right was running back to her, like a lapdog, and—

—And there were no words for it, and every last thing was a black smear of pain across her vision.

Oh.

Right drew the bloodied dagger away. “I can’t leave you to talk about it,” she said. Left liked to think that the words cost her, liked to think that she mattered, must have mattered to Right, that something about those ten long years hadn’t been a lie.

She looked over, at Right, at someone who had turned out, after all, to have been a complete stranger, and realised what she was in fact feeling.

Anger. 

One hand holding in the blood leaking through her fingers, the other hand holding her own dagger, Left said, “This ends. Now.”

They’d joined the Discovery Faction together, running away from Heritage together. She inhaled, and the movement hurt.

Good.

They could leave this world together, too.

image.png

Kezin made his way to the courtyard, but found only a mass of concerned soldiers a hair’s breadth away from panicking. 

He drew Mallard aside. “What is it?” he demanded. “And where’s Nelcaf?”

Nights, he’d had to remember not to instinctively seek out Jiang, to remember that he’d killed the soldier himself for treachery. Nelcaf seemed a decent choice, but if Nelcaf couldn’t even be bothered to report on time…

“Dead, sir,” Mallard replied, her face ashen. “Sir, I have to say, I’ve seen some things in my time, but whoever killed Lieutenant Nelcaf was one sick duck, sir.”

Kezin raised an eyebrow, nothing more.

Mallard looked at his boots.

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Kezin growled, when he realised he was not going to get anything more out of her. “Show me what’s going on.”

Mallard led him to the gathering crowd, who gave way as Kezin viciously elbowed his way through them.

“Ah, Captain,” Fade said, calmly. “Good. You’re here. I was going to send for you, sir.”

Kezin really thought his day couldn’t get worse. And then he looked at Nelcaf’s corpse, and realised it had.

“It’s an exotic poison, sir,” Fade said. “As far as I can tell.”

One of the soldiers lost the battle against nausea. The sound of retching seemed to echo in the courtyard.

“And the tree?” Kezin made himself ask. Made himself remain composed. The General had taught him that. The last thing any of them needed was the soldiers watching him lose his own dinner.

Fade canted his shoulders in a shrug. “Creativity, I expect. You’ll need a new lieutenant now, I suppose, sir. Again.”

“Don’t tempt me to name you,” Kezin ground out. He could hold on to the anger at least. It was…comforting.

There were monsters in this world. Kezin knew that. Had known that, since the day the army stood down. Since five years ago.

You never forgave yourself, not really. But he'd never forgiven the General either, or Fade.

He held on to that, as Fade called for someone brave enough to take Nelcaf down.

image.png

Devotary of Spontaneity (4): |TJ|, Fifth Scholar, TheAlpha929, xinoehp512
Fifth Scholar (1): Son_of_Hoid/Aman

Left and Right / @Devotary of Spontaneity was killed! They were both Discovery Soldiers!

Krow Nelcaf / @xinoehp512 was killed! He was a Discovery Soldier!

Hour Four has begun! It will end at 0000hrs on Saturday, 27th May 2023, at 0000hrs SGT (GMT +8). 

I will now begin to send out SP PMs. Remember to let me know if you notice a discrepancy in your SP!

The completely flavour position of Lieutenant is now open for the first player who asks for the job. Be warned it seems to be a job of death >>

Edited by Kasimir

Rule Clarifications:

Spoiler
  • I will be doing my utmost to prevent any player SP errors. In the world where I do make a mistake with your SP and it affects how much you would have staked, I need you to highlight the post to me to rectify it as soon as possible. I can't change the final bid that got locked in post-rollover but I can refund you the missing SP. If you want to point out to me in your GM PM while submitting orders how many SP you expect to have, I can work with that, but that's not required.

• You will receive a normal votecount at rollover informing you of the votes and who voted where.

• On 5/23/2023 at 1:19 AM, Kasimir said:

Pre-emptive rule clarification here made publicly given the centrality of SP to one of the mechanics in this game:

This post counts as 191 words. 151 if I discount the last section, which I won't in this case, given it's an IC RP post, and it's irrelevant here anyway. I don't count text in quotes as those aren't yours. 

If you have a single line of RP over a huge bloc of ingame text done OOC, I won't count the ingame text as the RP section should break the limit on its own, but you are free to do the RP then text format.

To repeat, for the avoidance of ambiguity:

• I don't count quotes no matter what. These are not your words so I can't give you credit for them.
    • If you are doing a IC RP post on game-relevant matter (see Archer), I count the whole thing, and I'm fine giving grace to the end there.
    • If you are doing a RP post with OOC text later on, then I count only the RP section.
    • You are free to ask me in your GM PM where you are on SP and I will tell you.
  •  
  • Try not to game my criteria too much or to assume I'm only going to reward players who do fancy, dramatic, serious RP. That's not how this works, and you'd be surprised.

• Please re-read the rules for the signet bids carefully. A signet request needs a scan target.

• There is no actions economy, so players can both scan and kill at the same time.
  • [More forthcoming]

Player List:

Spoiler

1. Wiz - Rambleton (Poet) Discovery Soldier
2. @TheAlpha929 - Mallard G. Wingworth IV (Duck Wrangler)
3. @Fifth Scholar - Kudyard Ripling (Imperialist Poet)
4. @The Known Novel - Gaovaris Solumnant (Scholar)
5. @Amanuensis- John Bluhm (Spy)
6. Archer - Georg Wasintown (Farmer) 
Discovery Soldier
7. xino - Krow Nelcaf (Yuen Sympathiser and Veteran) Discovery Soldier
8. Devo - Left & Right (Spy and Defector) Discovery Soldier
9. Szeth - Randen (Card Sharp and Bodyguard and Mistaken Identity) Discovery Soldier
10. JNV - Jiang Zhangrong (Lieutenant) Yuen Loyalist
11. @|TJ| - Fletcher the Fetcher (Fence)

Ripling stood up, wroth with himself and the investigation as a whole. "Name me lieutenant," he spat. "Certainly can't go any worse for me than it did the other two. And who knows, maybe we'll actually get somewhere with an authority to remind people of the Emperor's providence."

Yeah so I would really love to know the case on me -_- 

Also I am half tempted to believe Devo is guilty anyway but that would mean we had three elims (?) which still makes zero sense to me. 

Remind me, exactly, why we are clearing or ignoring Alpha/TKN? The first has Archer vouching for him, pretty much, but I see no reason to trust TKN as things stand.

1 minute ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Ripling stood up, wroth with himself and the investigation as a whole. "Name me lieutenant," he spat. "Certainly can't go any worse for me than it did the other two. And who knows, maybe we'll actually get somewhere with an authority to remind people of the Emperor's providence."

Also I am half tempted to believe Devo is guilty anyway but that would mean we had three elims (?) which still makes zero sense to me. 

Remind me, exactly, why we are clearing or ignoring Alpha/TKN? The first has Archer vouching for him, pretty much, but I see no reason to trust TKN as things stand.

JNV voted me d1, which is pretty risky for very little reward.

58 minutes ago, TheAlpha929 said:

;-;

Told you :P 

13 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

For me, I gut read Devo as Village and felt the way you jumped on her vote was sussy, hence why I voted you last turn :P if there’s a proper case for you, someone else will have to provide it

19 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

"Good," said Kezin. "Then you're lieutenant now. I expect results in an hour, Lieutenant."

He walked out of the courtyard.

14 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

For me, I gut read Devo as Village and felt the way you jumped on her vote was sussy, hence why I voted you last turn :P if there’s a proper case for you, someone else will have to provide it

Yeah well I’m not really feeling great about you despite the pretty ring telling me you’ve got nothing in your bag, so :P And again, still not sure on Devo, though I doubt the Elims would waste a stamp on a foregone conclusion unless they really wanted to set up my Exe, which is too much effort when it’s more valuable to smoke their last member. 

I suppose I should actually reread >>

2 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Yeah well I’m not really feeling great about you despite the pretty ring telling me you’ve got nothing in your bag, so :P And again, still not sure on Devo, though I doubt the Elims would waste a stamp on a foregone conclusion unless they really wanted to set up my Exe, which is too much effort when it’s more valuable to smoke their last member. 

I suppose I should actually reread >>

I just want to confirm: this a scan claim?

Am willing to reevaluate your slot, but that’ll come later.

Edited by Amanuensis

2 elims versus 3 village rn. @|TJ| what say you?

We need to hit red again today or lose, so… possible that e!TKN went for the JNV bus and is letting us murder Devo and Fifth to win, so I might want to vote TJ first to split the difference.

Edited by Amanuensis

1 hour ago, Amanuensis said:

2 elims versus 3 village rn. @|TJ| what say you?

I was thinking Fifth would have been more likely to be a teammate of Devo, so I would have voted for him if Devo was evil, but now I'm leaning towards JNV bus, re: the second scenario from my post last cycle. So, I'll be voting for TKN this cycle. 

And @The Known Novel, it's really not that uncommon to distance D1. It's become more popular in the recent few games. And with anon voting and not really much pressure on you, it was really not risky as much as you claim it was. 

Edited by |TJ|

1 hour ago, |TJ| said:

I was thinking Fifth would have been more likely to be a teammate of Devo, so I would have voted for him if Devo was evil, but now I'm leaning towards JNV bus, re: the second scenario from my post last cycle. So, I'll be voting for TKN this cycle. 

And @The Known Novel, it's really not that uncommon to distance D1. It's become more popular in the recent few games. And with anon voting and not really much pressure on you, it was really not risky as much as you claim it was. 

Archer’s point, which I agree with, was that you can't afford to vote a teammate d1 when you don't know who might be voting them. Plus, I tend to be vote magnet. And there wasn't much pressure on anyone, so why risk what could be 50% of the votes needed to kill someone for some pretty weak distancing. And keep in mind this was Archer’s idea, he brought it to me before I ever started using it, so it's less likely I planned it.

Fletcher was listening to his recordings again, wandering eyes cautious and paranoid. There were so few of them left now and he just wanted to hunt of the one artefact which had eluded him till now. He kept telling himself to wait and that it would turn up sooner rather than later but more he delayed the more he regretted staying. He was about to turn off the recorder and head in for the night when he heard something he had missed initially. He paused, rewound the device and listened carefully.  

On 5/23/2023 at 7:40 PM, JNV said:

The hour was coming to a close all too quickly. Zhangrong's nap had been far too short for the rest they needed and far too long given the task at hand. Precious time dripping through the clock, and they had no leads. No true suspicions. That damn heart of theirs, always leading them astray. They were the second in command. They had to be the best of the best, with walls of steel between emotion and reason. But they were not. Some soldiers were even still asleep, which was a quick way to earn their ire. Others still were hard to read behind a calm veneer of placid responses. The duck wrangler in particular had their hackles rising for no particular reason, and untangling true distrust from instinctual distaste was a difficult task. But they had not earned the rank of lieutenant for nothing, and they would succeed in this task as they had all tasks before or perish in the valiant attempt. They would succeed. 

It seemed that the Yuen, Jiang had suspected Mallard during the first hour. All his other entries were not that important, he had not mentioned suspicion on anyone else. So then why, Fletcher had asked himself, was the final accusation on Gaovaris? He started to believe more in his theory that Jiang and Gaovaris had faked the enmity between them. When sure that Gaovaris was not under any sort of pressure, Jiang probably made a very light-hearted accusation. 

8 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Archer’s point, which I agree with, was that you can't afford to vote a teammate d1 when you don't know who might be voting them. Plus, I tend to be vote magnet. And there wasn't much pressure on anyone, so why risk what could be 50% of the votes needed to kill someone for some pretty weak distancing. And keep in mind this was Archer’s idea, he brought it to me before I ever started using it, so it's less likely I planned it.

Fletcher was confused. What exactly was Georg's idea? Georg's reasoning for believing the scholar was of the Empire? It did not fill Fletcher with confidence that Gaovaris was using Georg's read of them as their defence. Refutable too, since they did not have the Yuen team composition and Fletcher felt like he would not put it past a team with high risk appetite to pull it off. 

"Hey, scholar! What is your case against Kipling?" he called out, intent clear to figure out the scholar even further. 

Fletcher sat clueless, still no idea about the identities of the Yuelish among them. In reality though, he couldn’t care much. He wasn’t Yuelish, but wasn’t really Discovery either. They’d treated him well of course, but his loyalties died a long time ago. 

The day they broke their oaths. 

And the day he’d gathered his first artefact. The day they now called Aharietiam. 

He still remembered it like it was yesterday. Despite being cosmere-aware, other worlds really did not interest him. Unlike other worldhoppers, he truly enjoyed and cherished Roshar. He would have liked nothing more than to return home. But alas, it’d have to wait. He had to finish his job here first. 

Edited by |TJ|

1 hour ago, |TJ| said:

"Hey, scholar! What is your case against Kipling?" he called out, intent clear to figure out the scholar even further. 

After them receiving the signent ring, I am much less suspicious of them. A village scan makes little sense for one elim although it is technically possible, and zero sense at two elims remaining. A red scan would end the game at two, and would still be extremely beneficial regardless.

3 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

After a reread, I mildly suspect TKN over TJ, but I also just woke up from a dream in which TJ was evil so I don’t know which way I should go :/

Trust the dream. The way TJ jumped on to me seems odd. It's like once he was keeping his options open, then once he saw a little suspicion on me, he doubled down.

20 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Trust the dream. The way TJ jumped on to me seems odd. It's like once he was keeping his options open, then once he saw a little suspicion on me, he doubled down.

Nope you're falsely representing my actions. I mentioned it last cycle itself that I had a gut-feeling that JNV could have been a bus as you and xino knew about the scan result beforehand.