Questions for Secret Project #3 Spoiler Stream

Fritochip

We have a spoiler stream coming up and I have some questions for Brandon. I figured if we pooled the questions here we might inspire each other to ask more precise questions and better ones. I wrote them down as a I listened and here is what I came up with.

Yumi calls Liyun Warden Nimi and Szeth calls Nightblood Sword Nimi? What is the connection between these honorifics?

Virtuosity “Splintered herself”. Can you explain how a Shard can do this?

The nightmare has “whisps of formless blackness rising from it.” Nightblood has a black smoke that descends from the blade. Ruin’s gaseous Investiture is a black smoke. What does blackness symbolize in the Cosmere?

Nightmares need to take “ten or so” trips into the city before they become very dangerous? Is there a set number of trips? Is it a number that is important in this world? Is it a Fibonacci Number?

Painter and Awakeners both need to envision what they are doing. Can you explain the connection between the envisioning they both do?

The Spirits seem a lot like Creationspren. What properties do they share?

The Spirits seem a lot like a spren which is being captured in a sphere. Can you explain the similarities between capturing a spren and binding a spirit?

When Yumi is binding spirits, you note “each request took a little…something from Yumi. Something that recovered over time, but in the moment, left her feeling empty. Like a jar of jelly tea, being emptied scoop by scoop.” I presume this is Investiture. How does Yumi recover the Investiture she is losing?

If Painter were to stab a Nightmare with a silver knife, what would happen?

“(E)veryone knew that encountering nightmares was random.” Is everyone right or wrong?

What secret would Design have told Painter if he had ordered something new?

The Nightmare over the little boy has white eyes. The Shades of Threnody have eyes that are white, green, or red. Would the Nightmare’s eyes have changed color too when it was ready to attack?

Please put your questions in the comments below.

Thanks,

Chip

Edited by Fritochip

Were the two planets(Yumi's and Painter's) once the same and separated, perhaps in correlation with the splintering of Virtuosity?

I have a theory about this posted on this forum, so I'm looking for others' thoughts on it. I would also love it if Brandon were to answer, but I can't submit this question, so if anyone were to ask, I would very much be in debt.

41 minutes ago, iceblade44 said:

is Nightmare Painting an Invested Art or is it something anyone can do with training.

There has been a debate about this on another thread, but I think you may want to be careful how you word this as the definition of an Invested Art may not be exclusive to systems only some people can access

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

8 minutes ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

There has been a debate about this on another thread, but I think you may want to be careful how you word this as the definition of an Invested Art may not be exclusive to systems only some people can access

You better ask something like: What method of Initiation is used on Painter's planet?

7 hours ago, TranslucentPhilosopher said:

Was Virtuosity one of the original 16 Shards? (Because so much of the magic system reminds me of a combination of something from Roshar + ?? and we know this story takes place in the future, I've been wondering if Virtuosity is rather a combination of some sort)

On top of that: is Virtuosity the Shard that just wanted to survive? Also, is Virtuosity the Shard that would have been used for the Rithmatist if it was in the Cosmere?

Are Yumi and Painter living at the same time? 

Because until shortly before the end of the preview chapters to me it read more and more, like Yumi's and Painter's planet might be the same at different points in time (Yumi pre- and Painter post-apocapypse)

7 hours ago, PanicPug said:

Are Yumi and Painter living at the same time? 

Because until shortly before the end of the preview chapters to me it read more and more, like Yumi's and Painter's planet might be the same at different points in time (Yumi pre- and Painter post-apocapypse)

Maybe this got asked, but I haven't watched the stream yet, so I'll explain in case it hasn't, Yumi and Painter switch spots, and Painter can see Yumi's planet, so unless we get actual time travel for the first time in the Cosmere, they are living at the same time.

It didn't get asked, but was still answered indirectly through another question relating to the "interdimensional storyteller" quote. It starts at 1:38:37 in the stream: 

Brandon: "... No time travel to the past, no multiverse. These are two of my big no-no's in the Cosmere."

Here's the link to the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=5917&v=F_DfnDkblNQ&feature=youtu.be

Spoiler

(Also: How can I remove that quote or spoiler container on mobile?)

Edited by PanicPug
Added link to video

1 hour ago, PanicPug said:

It didn't get asked, but was still answered indirectly through another question relating to the "interdimensional storyteller" quote. It starts at 1:38:37 in the stream: 

Brandon: "... No time travel to the past, no multiverse. These are two of my big no-no's in the Cosmere."

Reveal hidden contents

(How can I remove that quote or spoiler container?)

Are you on mobile?

On 21/03/2022 at 3:18 PM, Oltux72 said:

When Hoid built Design a body, did he use Invested Arts other than Lightweaving?

Questioner

Lightweavers, you're saying that they're gonna be able to do lasers and things in space era. Could a Lightweaver conceivably make a kugelblitz? It's when compressing enough light into one space that it makes a black hole.

Brandon Sanderson

I'm gonna say that that's beyond the power level of your average Lightweaver. But who knows? Good question. I've never heard that term before, that's kind of cool. That'd take a lot of Light.

Questioner

Isn't Hoid a Lightweaver now?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid is a Lightweaver now, yes. But Hoid does like playing with fire. He should not be a Lightweaver. Hoid is too close to various things that happened with Dawnshards, he is playing with fire.

I don’t know if Hoid is combining other arts or not but maybe combining Lightweavings from Roshar and Yolen has a similar effect to compounding or something similar? 
This WOB is pretty amazing with its implications.. if it’s similar to what Dawnshards can do. 

• 1 year later...
Spoiler

- When Hoid talked about his past memory loss, was he referring to what happened in RoW or to what happened in Tress?
- Virtuosity has two colors... Was she one shard? Or was she like Harmony?
- Were th hion lines the first usage of Investiture as electricity-like technology in the cosmere?
- Is Yumi's art an Invested art?
- If you would to categorize Yumi, both before and after the story, would she be Type I, Type II, Type III or Type IV, a cognitive shadow or something else?
- Follow up: after disintegrating "into nothing", how could she form a body? Did she form it using her Investiture and Intent the same way the machine perpetuated or that the bodies of Returned are held by Breaths and Elantrians are held by the Dor?
- In what way would you say that the machine's corruption of the souls is similar and different from Sja-Anat's corruption of spren?
- Does the name of the Iron-7 station relate something about Iron's repulsive properties? Ironpush?
- Hoid talks to the speaker about allomancy, does that mean that they are aware of the scandrian magic? Also he tells them to go to the restaurant if they ever visited the planet. Are they worldhoppers?

Also when is the stream? I can't a date it anywhere

Edited by idanstark42

3 hours ago, idanstark42 said:

Also when is the stream? I can't a date it anywhere

This subforum is only for discussing preview chapters of SP, not full released books, please put all those question in a spoiler box by using edit option at the bottom of your post: 

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

If you want to openly discuss SP3, you can do it in this section of the forum: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/110-spoiler-zone/

Because this thread is from March 21, 2022, the spoiler stream in question is from a year ago, which I think happened on June 16, 2022 (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/498-youtube-spoiler-stream-4/), as that's the first spoiler stream after this date. It was a year ago, and I don't think it answered any questions about secret projects. I also don't see any information about new spoiler stream, but it might happen soonish just like with Tress spoiler stream.

5 hours ago, idanstark42 said:

- Hoid talks to the speaker about allomancy, does that mean that they are aware of the scandrian magic? Also he tells them to go to the restaurant if they ever visited the planet. Are they worldhoppers?

This has an answer, yes, they are aware of other worlds. We can see him refer to other cultures a bunch of times, and call their utensils "maipon sticks" which Brandon said isn't exactly the truth as they are a bit different, but it was a point of reference his audience would have familiarity with. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, alder24 said:

This subforum is only for discussing preview chapters of SP, not full released books, please put all those question in a spoiler box by using edit option at the bottom of your post: 

Reveal hidden contents

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

If you want to openly discuss SP3, you can do it in this section of the forum: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/110-spoiler-zone/

Because this thread is from March 21, 2022, the spoiler stream in question is from a year ago, which I think happened on June 16, 2022 (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/498-youtube-spoiler-stream-4/), as that's the first spoiler stream after this date. It was a year ago, and I don't think it answered any questions about secret projects. I also don't see any information about new spoiler stream, but it might happen soonish just like with Tress spoiler stream.

Apologies, you are right of course