Space-age Roshar [+SotD2]

AidenTollis

My current theory is that books 6-10 of Stormlight is that the events of book 5 will lead to a technological revolution, and that arc 2 will follow the events of Rosharans finding space travel at the end of book 10. As this is set after Era 2 of Mistborn, and in the 6th Of The Dusk Sequel, there is obviously an arms race between Scadrial and Roshar. Roshar will have to have had an extremely fast technological growth for them to even compete with Era 4 Scadrial.

1 minute ago, AidenTollis said:

My current theory is that books 6-10 of Stormlight is that the events of book 5 will lead to a technological revolution, and that arc 2 will follow the events of Rosharans finding space travel at the end of book 10. As this is set after Era 2 of Mistborn, and in the 6th Of The Dusk Sequel, there is obviously an arms race between Scadrial and Roshar. Roshar will have to have had an extremely fast technological growth for them to even compete with Era 4 Scadrial.

Roshar has powered flight, FTL communication and transportation, vaccination, mass production etc, I think they'll be fine.

2 minutes ago, AidenTollis said:

But at Era 4 the Scadrians will have guns and lasers. The Rosharans will put up a fight but they could not be able to stop Scadrial if they don't speed up there current technological advance.

They can already make shardguns, though ammo might be an issue, and lasers are alreaady taken care of.

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

[Discussion of Lightweavers manipulating other forms of electromagnetic radiation]

But the ultimate form (That Brandon said would be too much to be practical both in needed stormlight and application) would be the control of Gamma Radiation. If this could be harnessed, Lightweavers could literally become mini nukes, or death guns. The biggest downside to making Gamma radiation would be the damage the lightweaver would most likely suffer. So gamma radiation is impractical but its a fun thought experiment. 

The best part of this whole speculation was how excited Brandon was about my train of thought. I don't know if anyone had brought up this train of thought before. But he was happy to remind me that things will get pretty interesting when Lightweavers discover lasers and start using them in combat.

Miscellaneous 2016 (July 3, 2016)

Edited by Frustration

7 hours ago, AidenTollis said:

But at Era 4 the Scadrians will have guns and lasers. The Rosharans will put up a fight but they could not be able to stop Scadrial if they don't speed up there current technological advance.

Roshar has gone from spanreeds to flying ships in the space of a decade. They’ve made discoveries on investiture that nobody has made, including the Cosmere aware worldhoppers. They’re going to be fine.

15 hours ago, AidenTollis said:

There relative technological growth rate will probably slow down a bit, but I do believe Stormlight 6 to 10 will involve space travel in the Rosharan system, as evidenced by, if I remember correctly, Brandon calculating how long a Windrunner would take to reach the moons of Roshar, though I don't know if he confirmed if he calculated any other figures for travel between planets. It likely will take longer before they can use those ships outside of the Rosharan system, but I think Stormlight 6 to 10 will feature movement towards interplanatary travel via ships as well as Shadesmar.

37 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

And/or resource monopoly driven

exactly yeah.  like for example, controlling Roshar means you control the highstorm, and (assuming they overcome the whole "how do we get stormlight off roshar?" debacle) whoever controls that has a steady stream of investiture at their disposal

I'm having a hard time understanding why anybody needs to, say, "control the highstorm".  You don't have to fight every Radiant and conquer all of Roshar to charge your spheres; the highstorm happens EVERYWHERE.  All you need is a way to move the Investiture from Roshar to not-Roshar (the HARD part), and a secret base somewhere remote and uninhabited (easy - Roshar is big and sparsely populated).

It's clear the Cosmere is moving towards space travel and interactions between cultures... but why does that insure conflict?  It would be like the US invading and conquering Mexico because we want to put up some solar panels there.  Why a war when what we really want is a DEAL?  Seems to me that the future of the Cosmere should be interstellar TRADE, not interstellar WAR.

23 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

It's clear the Cosmere is moving towards space travel and interactions between cultures... but why does that insure conflict?  It would be like the US invading and conquering Mexico because we want to put up some solar panels there.  Why a war when what we really want is a DEAL?  Seems to me that the future of the Cosmere should be interstellar TRADE, not interstellar WAR.

The reason is conflict is expected because literature tropes, but the in book reasons have to do with what little we know of Odium's goals and the Sixth of the Dusk sequel chapter Brandon released implies imperial expansion by both Scadrial and Roshar. Particularly in the way of controlling unique and useful expressions of Investiture. That historically leads to skirmishes at least if not full on war

• Argent changed the title to Space-age Roshar [+SotD2]
22 hours ago, Frustration said:

They can already make shardguns, though ammo might be an issue, and lasers are alreaady taken care of.

Hide contents

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

[Discussion of Lightweavers manipulating other forms of electromagnetic radiation]

But the ultimate form (That Brandon said would be too much to be practical both in needed stormlight and application) would be the control of Gamma Radiation. If this could be harnessed, Lightweavers could literally become mini nukes, or death guns. The biggest downside to making Gamma radiation would be the damage the lightweaver would most likely suffer. So gamma radiation is impractical but its a fun thought experiment. 

The best part of this whole speculation was how excited Brandon was about my train of thought. I don't know if anyone had brought up this train of thought before. But he was happy to remind me that things will get pretty interesting when Lightweavers discover lasers and start using them in combat.

Miscellaneous 2016 (July 3, 2016)

Well yes, although they have to figure out how to do that. I believe between books 5 and 6 that this will be discovered.

12 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

It will. Between the great powers. But why pay if taking is cheaper? We live in a world where a major war is surely costlier than the profits gained from conquest. But that is a specific feature of our economic and technological environment. It was not always so.

Has anyone asked Brandon if its the same for the PR living beings leaving their Shards invested area as it is for cognitive shadow's?

Like Kel and the Heralds.

We know its possible cause of Kriss, Hoid, then CS Vasher.

Is it as difficult or is it a non-issue for PR beings?

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

It will. Between the great powers. But why pay if taking is cheaper? We live in a world where a major war is surely costlier than the profits gained from conquest. But that is a specific feature of our economic and technological environment. It was not always so.

War makes countries rich. And speeds up their technological development. 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:26 AM, AidenTollis said:

I think you are completely jumping the gun here, space age will start happening around Mistborn era 4, stormlight 6-10 takes place after era 2. It will take a long time for scadrians to reach present day tech(era 3), i think 200 years or so. And then, era 4 will happen in the future

Space age cosmere will be Roshar vs scadrians, so it wont make sense for Roshar to get space travel so quickly. For space travel, you need Faster than light tech. Roshar is lightyears(heh) away from achieving that. They don't even have a radio yet

Edited by KaladinWorldsinger

3 minutes ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

I think you are completely jumping the gun here, space age will start happening around Mistborn era 4, stormlight 6-10 takes place after era 2. It will take a long time for scadrians to reach present day tech(era 3), i think 200 years or so. And then, era 4 will happen in the future

Space age cosmere will be Roshar vs scadrians, so it wont make sense for Roshar to get space travel so quickly. For space travel, you need Faster than light tech. Roshar is lightyears(heh) away from achieving that. They don't even have a radio yet

Yeah, Scadrial and Roshar are both very far away from FTL. Getting into space will be easier though. Shardplate allows for easy pressure suits, and Stormlight lets Radiants go without oxygen.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

Yeah, Scadrial and Roshar are both very far away from FTL. Getting into space will be easier though. Shardplate allows for easy pressure suits, and Stormlight lets Radiants go without oxygen.

I don't think shardplate bearers can even reach the moons right now, because they are still very far away. The amount of stormlight needed would be ridiculous and practically impossible, i feel 

Edit: just getting into space, sure, but why?

Edited by KaladinWorldsinger

1 minute ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

I don't think shardplate bearers can even reach the moons right now, because they are still very far away. The amount of stormlight needed would be ridiculous and practically impossible, i feel 

Edit: just getting into space, sure, but why?

I dunno. Fabrials and the like would probably work well for space travel, and if you were willing to risk a Bondsmith, infinite Stormlight would let Radiants simply lash something into space. I wouldn't be surprised if you could rig up a Fabrial to make oxygen either. Of course, anything other than going to space is probably off the table for quite some time. A windrunner might be able to get to a moon if you gave them enough perfect gemstones.

23 hours ago, Anomander Rake said:

exactly yeah.  like for example, controlling Roshar means you control the highstorm, and (assuming they overcome the whole "how do we get stormlight off roshar?" debacle) whoever controls that has a steady stream of investiture at their disposal

He who controls the Storm controls the Cosmere. The Light must flow.

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I dunno. Fabrials and the like would probably work well for space travel, and if you were willing to risk a Bondsmith, infinite Stormlight would let Radiants simply lash something into space. I wouldn't be surprised if you could rig up a Fabrial to make oxygen either. Of course, anything other than going to space is probably off the table for quite some time. A windrunner might be able to get to a moon if you gave them enough perfect gemstones.

I think the moons are impossibly far away for that to work. Also we know, using stormlight is invigorating until you stop and you feel drained and exhausted. I imagine even if it's possible to reach the moon and back, the radiant will straight up die when he turns off stormlight.

To put perspective on how far the moon is, you can fit the other eight planets between the earth and the moon.

It's pretty far

Just now, KaladinWorldsinger said:

I think the moons are impossibly far away for that to work. Also we know, using stormlight is invigorating until you stop and you feel drained and exhausted. I imagine even if it's possible to reach the moon and back, the radiant will straight up die when he turns off stormlight.

To put perspective on how far the moon is, you can fit the other eight planets between the earth and the moon.

It's pretty far

Yeah, it would be difficult to manage, and you would need a ton of stormlight. A fused with shardplate could probably manage it though.