The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

• 1 month later...

So I just finished re-reading Elantris. And I have to say, of all the LDS references in the Cosmere, the one character who is most obviously informed by Brando's experiences as a member is Hrathen of all people. Minus the whole "I have to convert everyone in 3 months Or Else" bit, and the use of magic and whatnot, his experiences as a missionary seemed familiar.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Does anyone else get really annoyed when people say we aren't Christian, or am I the only one.

Because I was told that yesterday, and I felt like punching the person who said it.

*sigh* It really irritates me.

I once saw an article by some Lutheran professor who ‘analyzed’ the ‘definition’ of Christianity and ‘concluded’ that ‘Mormons’ aren’t Christian :| It was kind of astounding the vibe the article gave off. It overcomplicated the definition to a ridiculous degree and bugged me so so much

Like hello it’s in the name

So no, you’re not the only one :P 

Edited by Matrim's Dice

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I once saw an article by some Lutheran professor who ‘analyzed’ the ‘definition’ of Christianity and ‘concluded’ that ‘Mormons’ aren’t Christian :| It was kind of astounding the vibe the article gave off. It overcomplicated the definition to a ridiculous degree and bugged me so so much

Like hello it’s in the name

So no, you’re not the only one :P 

According to the guy who said that to me, we apparently believe in a different Christ. After he said that I think I stared at him for about 3 minutes in utter confusion, before replying with an extremely confused 'What?'

It's like, is that supposed to make sense? Do you think we don't believe in the Bible being true? 'Cuz we do.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person irritated by this, because really? Come on people! Get your facts straight.

38 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

According to the guy who said that to me, we apparently believe in a different Christ. After he said that I think I stared at him for about 3 minutes in utter confusion, before replying with an extremely confused 'What?'

It's like, is that supposed to make sense? Do you think we don't believe in the Bible being true? 'Cuz we do.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person irritated by this, because really? Come on people! Get your facts straight.

I used to be annoyed by people saying "we believe in a different Christ." Then, I realized, oh boy we do.

'Cause their Christ is the same as Heavenly Father, and is the same as the Holy Ghost, has no body, and they all are the same essence. That this God existed before all else was made, decided he was so great that He deserved to be worshiped, then created all the angels and humankind for the sole purpose that they will make it to heaven so that they can, simply, worship him forever and ever.

Yeah, if that's the mainstream view of Christ, we believe in a different Christ :P
Not dissing anyone! I only mean to point out differences.

Edited by Knight of Iron

1 minute ago, Knight of Iron said:

Yeah, if that's the mainstream view of Christ, we believe in a different Christ :P

Hmm yeah when you put it that way :P But I'd also say that this doesn't mean we're not Christian unless the definition of Christian is believing in that specific doctrine and only that specific doctrine. That's actually what that article was about, now that I'm thinking about it. Complicating the definition past the essence of Christianity. We believe in Christ, there's a hymn about it, we believe in the Bible. We're Christian.

(I don't think you're saying we're not, of course. Thought I maybe should make that clear)

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

Hmm yeah when you put it that way :P But I'd also say that this doesn't mean we're not Christian unless the definition of Christian is believing in that specific doctrine and only that specific doctrine. That's actually what that article was about, now that I'm thinking about it. Complicating the definition past the essence of Christianity. We believe in Christ, there's a hymn about it, we believe in the Bible. We're Christian.

(I don't think you're saying we're not, of course. Thought I maybe should make that clear)

I believe we are, but I respect those that say we aren't. If you argue, they'll just point out every single one of our beliefs and how the Bible supposedly contradicts it, and so we don't believe in the Bible, and ain't nobody got time for that!

1 minute ago, revelryintheart said:

I met somebody on discord yesterday who wanted to torture and kill all "Mormons" so

fun

Perhaps by your definition. Try to avoid meeting psychopaths.

20 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

I used to be annoyed by people saying "we believe in a different Christ." Then, I realized, oh boy we do.

'Cause their Christ is the same as Heavenly Father, and is the same as the Holy Ghost, has no body, and they all are the same essence. That this God existed before all else was made, decided he was so great that He deserved to be worshiped, then created all the angels and humankind for the sole purpose that they will make it to heaven so that they can, simply, worship him forever and ever.

Not dissing anyone! I only mean to point out differences.

I see your point.

However, I don't completely agree with said point.

Why? Because we all believe in the same Christ. We may believe different things about him than traditional Christians, but that doesn't mean that we believe in a different Christ. If there's a person, and someone believes something about that person that contradicts what someone else believes about the same person, that doesn't mean that they are talking about two different people. 

That's how I see it at least. But I do see where you are coming from.

Yeah, I always wonder what we could do to convince people we're really Christian.

Maybe rename the church so Jesus' name is in it? Or come up with a numbered set of beliefs that puts "believing in Jesus" as the first point? Or have scripture that affirms the divinity and atonement of Christ? Oh wait . . .

People get hung up on the Trinity, which didn't even exist as a doctrine for the first 3 centuries of Christendom.

Just now, Eran of Arcadia said:

Yeah, I always wonder what we could do to convince people we're really Christian.

Maybe rename the church so Jesus' name is in it? Or come up with a numbered set of beliefs that puts "believing in Jesus" as the first point? Or have scripture that affirms the divinity and atonement of Christ? Oh wait . . .

People get hung up on the Trinity, which didn't even exist as a doctrine for the first 3 centuries of Christendom.

They see us kind of like we’d see the religion of Islam—yes we believe in Jesus, but we believe differently enough to not be called it. I’d prefer it if we were just called Christians, or at least they were called something else. When they say we’re not Christians, they mean we aren’t close enough to them, not that we don’t follow after Christ.

Hey guys, I thought this thread might be able to help a Mama out. My Sanderson loving son is coming home from his mission next month and I'm trying to think of Cosmere quotes that would work for signs (maybe t-shirts?) at the airport. Stormlight is his favorite, but no RoW spoilers. 

I thought of: "The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step."  And 

"You are not worse for your association with the world, but it is better for its association with you."

My 16 yo says he wants "I am a stick." 

What else can you guys think of?

50 minutes ago, Sandermom said:

I thought of: "The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step."  And 

"You are not worse for your association with the world, but it is better for its association with you."

Those all seem pretty good, nice and inspiring. I’d probably also include I am a Stick, which is a pretty prevalent running joke within the fandom. :P

I know there’s likely something good from Mistborn but my memory is failing me at the moment… maybe I’ll try to find that

1 hour ago, Sandermom said:

Hey guys, I thought this thread might be able to help a Mama out. My Sanderson loving son is coming home from his mission next month and I'm trying to think of Cosmere quotes that would work for signs (maybe t-shirts?) at the airport. Stormlight is his favorite, but no RoW spoilers. 

I like all off these. Especially I am a stick :)

A safe though perhaps boring choice might be Journey before Destination. Cliche, I know, but I feel like it somewhat fits with missionary work. 

3 hours ago, Sandermom said:

Did he read The Rithmatist? I don't know if this is the right context, but I always liked "The only way to learn is to do." (and the only way to win is to fight. But the second part isn't always as helpful as the first) You might also tie it in somehow with "go and do" from 1 Nephi 3:7.

There's also, "I walked from Abamabar to Urithiru." if he did a lot of tracting. Pull anything out of the in-world book The Way of Kings. I don't remember the exact wording, but Nohadon says something like: "When I arrived at my destination, I was fussed over, scolded, and given a hot meal by my relatives, who all seemed to think I was insane for undertaking such a journey."

Ooh, and this one would be awesome: "Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone. But that does not mean that I walked alone."

Here, I'll link the page with all the quotes from the book. You can go though and see which ones you think are good.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings_(in-world)

By the way, thanks for being this kind of mom. Really cool move. My mom would maybe think of doing something like this, but I doubt she'd follow through. I've had two older siblings come home from missions and both times, we got to the airport after they landed. I'm hoping it'll be different in my case, but I won't be surprised if the same thing happens again.

These are all great! Thanks guys! We will definitely use "I am a stick" among the more inspirational ones and probably also "Airsick Lowlander" since he's coming home from Denver "the mile high city." 

19 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Pull anything out of the in-world book The Way of Kings.

Also, good call on the in-world Way of Kings! I loved the one about not having  walked alone and found a few other really cool ones from the wiki you linked too:

"Regardless, I made the trip and—as the astute reader has already concluded—survived it."

"It becomes the responsibility of every man, upon realizing he lacks the truth, to seek it out."

And expanding on the Journey before destination theme: "I declare that no accomplishment has substance nearly as great as the road used to achieve it. We are not creatures of destinations. It is the journey that shapes us. Our callused feet, our backs strong from carrying the weight of our travels, our eyes open with the fresh delight of experiences lived."

Edited by Sandermom

17 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

By the way, thanks for being this kind of mom. Really cool move. My mom would maybe think of doing something like this, but I doubt she'd follow through. I've had two older siblings come home from missions and both times, we got to the airport after they landed. I'm hoping it'll be different in my case, but I won't be surprised if the same thing happens again.

Thanks. :) I'm a huge Sanderson fan too, so the idea came easily. I hope he likes it!

Having said that, I've done my share of dropping the ball as a mom. And also, different moms show love in different ways. I'm sure your mom adores you and is proud of you even if she shows up late with no signs. 

@Sandermom, so glad I could help. Stormlight Archive was my intro to Brandon Sanderson, so it's my favorite too.

I know my mom loves me, but yes, she tends to show it in ways that don't make sense to me. She and I see everything so differently that it can be hard to get along sometimes, but I've decided that I must be her kid for a good reason. Just, one that I don't understand yet.

(PS, what you just did is called a 'double post', which is against online forum etiquette. I don't think it's really a big deal, but I see why it annoys some people. There's obviously no punishment, just letting you know so you can avoid double posting in the future.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...