The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Can you give us a ballpark estimate of how much mass/energy/investiture the 16 shards started with?  Are we talking suns? Galaxies? 

Does Hoid have an actual endgame at this point or is he just trying to get somewhere and hoping that he can figure it out from there?

3 hours ago, Theodore Smedry said:

I've got one:

If a Radiant were to work out while holding stormlight, would he/she grow stronger or stay the same? Would the desire to gain strength be enough of a cue to the stormlight to facilitate that?

Do you  mean they would heal to a stronger physical state? No, it's not desire for change, it's self-perception. If you truly believed, down to your soul, in a specific self-image, that's what you would heal to. Just wanting it, or seeing it as a goal, wouldn't be enough.

Questions:

An Awakener-Allomancer stores breath in metal, then burns it. Can they Breath-compound? If so, will it generate Breath, or just increase the person's heightening?

Can a coinshot in a cadmium bubble push on metal outside of the bubble? (I believe it was done out of a bendalloy bubble in Shadows of Self). If so, will the acceleration of the metal outside the bubble appear shockingly high because of the differing rates of time?

An infused sphere is placed in an aluminum chamber.  Does it stop going dun beyond a certain point (as would happen if stormlight obeyed gas dynamics)? If so, will a surgebinder in an aluminum chamber not leak stormlight below a certain point?

Can an allomancer still use their powers normally in an aluminum chamber?

Why does Wax not slow down when he increases his weight when falling? Though his acceleration should remain constant, he should slow down temporarily if he indeed conserves momentum.

A forger stamps herself to be an ideal candidate for a Lightweaver and bonds a Cryptic, progressing until they have a shardblade by continually renewing her stamp. She forgets to stamp herself one day. What happens to the bond? What about if she restamps herself? If she breaks oaths in a different persona (her true self or someone else), does it count? What if instead, a forger becomes a surgebinder as her true self, then stamps herself? Is the bond interfered with then?

Edited by CosmereScholar

You've said previously that Kaladin's chapter icon (spears, flag, eclipse-thing) will make sense later.   I have a theory, but I'm trying to avoid a RAFO.  Can you tell us what colors are on the banner/flag of his icon?  Or, if a Fused were to see that flag, would it have meaning to them?

Edited by Zelly

Is aluminum lacking a spiritual or cognitive aspect?

Are the abilities of the different Allomantic metals related to the base effect of the Investiture of other Shards? (life sense for Breaths being like Bronze, physical capacities of Stormlight being like pewter, sand mastery's ability to neutralize tendrils of other sand masters being like either aluminum or chromium, etc.)

On 3/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, BookishOcelot said:

Can Lerasium be soulcast? Could a Lightweaver or Elsecaller turn stone into Lerasium, Atium, or Ettmetal?

No.  You cannot make invested things via soulcasting.

10 hours ago, Stormgate said:

Is aluminum lacking a spiritual or cognitive aspect?

Are the abilities of the different Allomantic metals related to the base effect of the Investiture of other Shards? (life sense for Breaths being like Bronze, physical capacities of Stormlight being like pewter, sand mastery's ability to neutralize tendrils of other sand masters being like either aluminum or chromium, etc.)

36 minutes ago, Karger said:

No.  You cannot make invested things via soulcasting.

A person could, it's very hard, but it may or may not work properly when the person burned it.  An invested thing can be soulcast into something else, like someone could turn a goldmind into another invested metal, but the investiture would be keyed wrong. It sounds like one would break a perfectly good goldmind. It's not clear if the new metal would work properly when burned or not. Soulcasting gold into lerasium may or may result in a a metal that would give mistborn powers. Or that's my understanding of the WoB below. 

Questioner

Can you Soulcast an Invested object?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's much harder. But humans are Invested, and you can soulcast humans.

Questioner

So, suppose you had a goldmind that was filled. And you tried to Soulcast into iron. What would happen to the Investiture inside it?

Brandon Sanderson

So, the Investiture would remain in there, but it's keyed to the wrong thing, so you wouldn't be able to get it. It'd be much harder to Soulcast that, by the way. The more Invested, the harder it is. But Soulcasters are used to it, because everything has Investiture, and most of what they're Soulcasting. They deal with this, so it's something they're kind of expert at. So, this is not outside reason, that it could happen. You could give it to your average Soulcaster on Roshar, and they could make it happen. You just wouldn't be able to get the Investiture out of it anymore.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Edited by Child of Hodor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Oathbringer at the final fight.  Did Adolin summon his shardblade in less then 10 heartbeats or did he at least think he had(the count stops at 7)? 

Can you kill a lifeless by Hemolergicaly spiking it to get rid of the breath?

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

In Oathbringer at the final fight.  Did Adolin summon his shardblade in less then 10 heartbeats or did he at least think he had(the count stops at 7)? 

Can you kill a lifeless by Hemolergicaly spiking it to get rid of the breath?

I'm pretty sure Adolin takes like 7 heartbeats and I vaguely remember Sanderson being specifically asked this question. I cannot find any further information though so I hope someone can help out. Unless I'm wrong....

22 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I'm pretty sure Adolin takes like 7 heartbeats and I vaguely remember Sanderson being specifically asked this question. I cannot find any further information though so I hope someone can help out. Unless I'm wrong....

Adolin summoned his Shardblade in 7 heartbeats because he formed a closer bond with her and learned her name. 

We know that the storms and presumable something like the Stromfather existed on Roshar before the arrival of the shards(otherwise who or what allowed the parsh to change forms).  Did entities resembling the Nightwatcher and Sibling also exist?

7 minutes ago, Itchy Savant said:

Is a Shard considered Invested?

And if so does this mean that Nightblood is _still_ the most invested thing in the cosmere?

Could you post the WoB you're talking about here?

1 hour ago, Kidpen said:

Could you post the WoB you're talking about here?

Questioner

What is the most Invested item so far revealed?

Brandon Sanderson

What counts as an item?

Questioner

Inanimate object. Sentient swords, stuff like that.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, inanimate objects, would be Nightblood. Well-- is he inanimate?

Questioner

Well, he's a sentient sword, but he's an inanimate object.

Brandon Sanderson

So, yeah, he would count.

So after rereading the WoB I think I answered my own question.

I'm assuming a shard would not be considered inanimate.