What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

My Halloween read this year is Stephen King's Salem's Lot. Fifty pages to go. I'm mostly lukewarm on it. I guess it's a neat, strikingly traditional spin on the vampire mythos. But then again, it takes the first half to really get going and takes some easy ways out once it does. Not really a strong opinion on this one.

After that, I'll retreat to reading short stories only, so I don't have to drop anyhting once Dawnshard is released. *trembling intensifies*

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
On 10/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, Frustration said:

Excuse me!

On 10/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, Condensation said:

What, I prefer Fablehaven! Plus, then I'd have 5 books instead of 3.

I prefer 5 kingdoms by a landslide but Fablehaven is decent but I agree with Frustration that Beyonders better

5 hours ago, Condensation said:

For my Halloween reads, I'm rereading Edgar Allen Poe's works.

That's my plan as well, at least one or two of them! The Raven has become kind of a Halloween tradition for me. I might also read one of my two favorite works of prose Poe, The Black Cat or The Fall of the House of Usher. Both are fittingly halloween-y, to say the least!

7 hours ago, Elegy said:

That's my plan as well, at least one or two of them! The Raven has become kind of a Halloween tradition for me. I might also read one of my two favorite works of prose Poe, The Black Cat or The Fall of the House of Usher. Both are fittingly halloween-y, to say the least!

Yes, I love all of those! Have you read The Tell-Tale Heart?

30 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Yes, I love all of those! Have you read The Tell-Tale Heart?

Yes, that one also fits Halloween extremely well! The Masque of the Red Death as well. I'm still amazed at how atmospheric these stories are given they're all just a few thousand words..

On 31/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, Elegy said:

Yes, that one also fits Halloween extremely well! The Masque of the Red Death as well. I'm still amazed at how atmospheric these stories are given they're all just a few thousand words..

I know, right? I also read The Pit and the Pendulum, its creepy feel is perfect!

Edited by Condensation

5 hours ago, Elegy said:

Masque is particularly appropriate this year

Started The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. I'm about 20% through the book and already enough bad stuff happened to be on the 80% or so. I mean, it feels like when the characters hit rock bottom just before rising from the ashes in other stories, but this one is just starting. And most of it is Quilp's fault, I hate Quilp.

And yet the book still is really lighthearted a lot of the time. I don't know what to expect. I really like the sense of humor though, that much I can say. 

I'm reading Ender's Game for the first time. I'm about halfway through, and I'm going to try to finish it before I get Dawnshard. I forgot to do the Kickstarter so I'm going to have to wait a few more days to buy an ebook, but I'm currently using Ender's Game as a way to keep me entertained until I can finally get Dawnshard. 

Tower of Fools by Andrzej Sapkowski. I imagine the prologue will loose a lot of readers and I love history but know nothing of European History in the year 1420 so most of the names and events mentioned in it means nothing to me. There is also lot of description of heraldry costs of arms etc. It starts to be a more standard story in chapter one but it’s still too early for me to know how I feel about it. I will say this though, it’s definitely unique.

Yes! I'm really happy right now! I've been wanting to preorder RoW since preorders were made available but Amazon wasn't shipping to Mexico, and the mexican version of the page, though it had the English version of the book, it just appeared as temporarily unavailable. I was coming to terms with the conclusion that I would have to read it on Kindle, but today I checked and suddenly Amazon ships to Mexico again! I never pressed 'buy' so fast. I will be about a week late to the party but at least I'll have the book on my hands.

Well, I read three books today.  Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians: The Dark Talent, Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novel (The Promise part one), and The Bookweavers Daughter.  Little thoughts on each of them below:

Alcatraz:

Spoiler

When is the sixth book, because I really need to read that.  

I never thought I'd see a middle grade book go there.

What.

Spoiler

I'm interested.  Zuko, get some storming therapy.  Unfortunately, these are in high demand at my library, so it's gonna be a while before I can get the next one.

The Bookweaver's Daughter:

Spoiler

Surprisingly short, and fun.  I couldn't help feeling like the author (Malavika Kannan) has read Stormlight.  There's a mention of 'speaking your truth' and... I think that says everything.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

Just finished DA by Connie Willis (novella). Before that, re-read Ready Player One (was reading while standing in line to vote, & someone else in line noticed & we chatted about the book - SFF fans everywhere!). Also recently re-read a couple of the short stories in the first Metatropolis anthology: Toby Buckell's story has a very creative vision of the future; John Scalzi's story is creative too but also waaaay funny. But then I got Dawnshard & am now reading it several times while I wait for next week to get here! :D

The only Dresden’s I’ve not read are the short story books. I wish they had been out when I was reading the 1st time. I don’t like going backwards. I will likely get when I pick up again with the reread in future.

I have finished Gaunts Ghost bk2 and it was awesome. Started bk 3.

Will likely stop Outlander 5 cause it’s super boring at 70+ pgs in which makes me sad considering how great the other books were. Diana can put the Grim Dark authors to shame when she gets going. She’s a queen of it.

Oh, it seems Brief Cases is actually the second short story Dresden collection. Can anyone tell me if any of the stories in Brief Cases spoil things from after Changes? 

Well anyway, I listened to the first two, and the first one (A Fistful of Warlocks) is the only one I really have a comment on. 

Spoiler

I was slightly disappointed in Kemmler. I was hoping that he would be a big focus, and he was there, but he wasn't as big a focus as I wanted him to be. He was neutralized as a threat basically immediately. He threatened Luccio once at the start, and then proceeded to be stuck in a cell for most of the story.