Night 13: The Most Dangerous Game

“What are you doing?”

Carmichael stopped in the middle of the street and turned to see half of the village staring at him quizzically. He set the chair he had been carrying on the ground.

“What does it look like,” he replied as he dusted off his hands. “I’m moving my furniture back to my house.”

This seemed to confuse them more. Was it really that hard of a concept to grasp? Carmichael knew that he was the smartest person in the village (not to mention the strongest and best looking and funniest and so on, but those weren’t important at the moment), but he expected better than this.

“It’s really simple,” he explained. “See, I had moved most of my belongings out of the town last night, because I was planning on leaving. I couldn’t allow myself to get trapped here after all. Out of everyone, if I were to die, it truly would be a great loss. For all of humanity.

“But, then I thought about it and decided that I just couldn’t do it. I knew that if I wasn’t here to help you, you’d all wind up dead. And while that might not be the tragedy that if would be if I were to die, I just couldn’t leave you all to such a fate. I mean, you might all be stupid, lesser people, but you’re my stupid, lesser people.

“And after I made up my mind, since I had already moved everything out, now I need to move everything back in, of course.

“Here,” Carmichael said as he picked up the chair and handed it to the closest villager. “In return for me saving you from yourselves, you can help me pick up the rest of my stuff and bring it back in!”

And that was how Carmichael found himself back out in the wilderness. The villagers hadn’t been as gracious as he had expected and they had chased him out of the town. Of course, since he was obviously the fastest out of everyone in the village, he’d easily outran them, but now he was turned around. If he could get back to the little cave he’d found, where he’d stored all of his stuff, he could leave those ungrateful people to their well-deserved fate.

The sun was getting close to setting and he was pretty sure he was slightly south of the cave, so he started north.

Suddenly, he heard a snap and felt something yank his feet out from under him. In a blink of an eye, he was hanging upside down in what appeared to be a very big snare trap.

What could possibly need something so ridiculous and large? He pondered as he swayed side to side.

That’s when he heard it. The sounds of grunts and large footsteps approaching and it all clicked into place. Carmichael went white as a ghost and broke out in a cold sweat.

They’re so close!

He desperately tried to free himself before the Koloss arrived.

He was unsuccessful.

Day 12 has ended and Night 13 begins! You have 24 hours.

Magestar was lynched! They were a Village Smoker!

PMs are NOT open!

gre_1487221199.png

Player List

Spoiler

Assassin In Burgundy: Fuzzy- Self Explanatory (Jaist) Village Smoker
Elenion: Cassius- Ladies Man (Casanova) Village Soother
Seonid: Senn Conrad- Minor Nobleman (Past Lives)
A Joe in the Bush: Jack Tormander- 4th Wall Breaker (Past Lives) Survived!
Jondesu: Remart- Just under 300 lbs. He swears! (Glutton, Handicapped [Leg]) Survived!
Manukos: Enias- Cleans things….somewhere (Neat) Regular Villager
I_Am_Stick: Stick- Is a Stick? (Forgetful)
Wyrmhero: Wyl Sharpe- Private Detective (Guardsman)
Nyali: Nyah- Orphan (Mistwraiths Ate My Parents) Spiked Mistborn
Herowannabe: Herwynbe- Terris Steward (Terris Steward)
Arinian: Arinian- Mercenary (Forgetful, Past Lives) Village Seeker
Conquestor: Mr. Hoid- Absentminded Prophet (Joker, Forgetful, Prophetic)
Silverblade5: Ryth- Former Guard (Gollum) Regular Villager
Magestar: Carmichael- High Roller (Narcissist, Compulsive Gambler) Village Smoker
Arraenae: Nicki- Noblewomen Researching Inquisitors (Theorist) Village Thug
Straw: Vomit- Messenger (Mistwraiths Ate My Parents, Gossip) Village Rioter
Doc12: Rin- Metallurgist (Tinker, Neat) Regular Villager
Hemalurgic_Headshot: Joe- Beggar/Former Band Member/Cook? (Useless, Cook) Village Thug
Araris Valerian: Aralis- Grumpy Elderly Man (Elderly, Cynic, Bearer of a Large Thwacking Staff)
Droughtbringer: Drought- Blind Man (Handicapped [Blind]) Village Coinshot
Stink: Various- Split Personality Mistborn (Insanity)
Ecthelion III: No Name- Retired Gentleman (Elderly) Village Soother
Kipper: Kip Pikker- Traveling Bard (Narcissist) Regular Villager
TheMightyLopen: Sothe- Thief (Unlucky) Village Lurcher
Madagascar: Matilda- Mad Cat Lady (Drunk) Village Thug
Dalinar Kholin: Reginald Canuck- Polite Wayne (Kleptomaniac) Spiked Mistborn
Drake Marshall: Felix- Traveller (Survivor Priest, Scholarly) Village Smoker
Bugsy6912: Annix- Terrisman Scholor (Scholor, Terrisman, Hobbyist) Regular Villager
Gamma Fiend: Grumbles- Innkeeper (Insanity) Regular Villager
Little Wilson: Whistler- Shopkeeper (Neat, Compulsive Gambler, Hobbyist) Survived!
Sart: Sart- Trickster (High Imperial)
Orlock Tsubodai: Locke Tekiel- Nobleman (Nobleman) Dropped
Wonko the Sane: Abundance Org (Organization)
Elbereth: El- Apprentice Apothecary (Hopeful Orphan, Past Lives)

Edited by Alvron

Bugger. Things are starting to look bad for us. We're down to 13 players, only about 11 of which are active, and of which probably around 3-5 are eliminators. We need to catch some eliminators soon. 

I would be more suspicious of the last minute vote swings from STINK to Magestar, except I don't find STINK particularly suspicious and the deciding vote change was made by Joe, so we know it wasn't Eliminators behind it. 

That being said, our of those who did vote for Mage, I'm still suspicious of Sart, and a little bit of Conquestor. 

K, I'll be protected by the iron misting again tonight.. If i could get the copper mistings to not cloud anyone that would be nice.

Hero,  i changed my vote because i don't actually suspect Stink, and i slightly suspected Mage. I do agree that Con is suspicous, and I'll probably go after him next.

Ugh, this sucks. I was reasonably confident in my gut read of Mage, and I take no pleasure in being right, since it's one step closer to losing. I'm falling back on gut reads entirely here, and I'm going to say that I think the remaining Elims are Stink, Sart, and Elbereth. No specific reasoning, but I'm most suspicious of them out of everyone left alive now. Conquestor's tunneling on me clears him somewhat in my mind, as I said, and I'm reasonably swayed about Hero. Seonid and Stick I'm not convinced on, but they've acted less informed to me, more like villagers. Yep, I'm going on record with that prediction for the remainder of the Eliminator team.

Day 13: Surprise!

El sat alone in the darkness, on the bench along one wall that was usually reserved for patients’ families. She leaned back against the shelf at one end of the bench, knees resting against the wall with her feet atop the bench. One elbow sat upon her knees, and from one finger of that hand dangled the locket that she’d found at Locke’s mansion when she went looking for it, though the Lord himself hadn’t been there, nor had his Terris steward. She didn’t know what had become of him, but she worried. He might have been the only person left in this cursed village that she cared about.

The locket turned gently in the gloom, white on one side and black on the other. The last reminder of her parents that she had, if it could be called a reminder when she couldn’t even remember their faces. She imagined, for a moment, what it’d be like to be held in a mother’s arms and sob into her hair; to be picked up and swung around by a father; to hold her parents’ hands.

Then she was back to herself, alone, in the darkness, with only the occasional glimmer of the locket’s chain.

She should’ve gone to bed. It was well past midnight, now, and she’d been sitting since the sun went down. But she wasn’t tired, and didn’t particularly care to move from her position. So she just waited, thinking about nothing in particular. It was peaceful, here. Calm. Home. And for those few hours, she was at peace.

She slowly became aware that there was another reason she wasn’t going to bed. She was waiting for something, she thought, idly turning the locket between her fingers, alone in the darkness.

Or… not quite. Not quite alone. She wasn’t sure when she sensed that there was a presence there, or why she hadn’t noticed when the door opened and closed. It had a bell on it, for goodness’ sake. How had they gotten in?

She wasn’t afraid. She knew what this was. Her death was coming, again. Again? But she dismissed the question.

Perhaps her death was coming. But she wasn’t planning on going down without a fight.

El quietly reached her hand behind her to the shelf that she’d been leaning against. There wasn’t much of use within reach. A few powders that she could throw into her attacker’s eyes, but it was already dark. She almost certainly wouldn’t be able to light a candle before the Spiked got to her, and it was better to be in the dark anyway. She knew the room better than whoever was after her did.

Finally, her fingers hit something useful: a pair of sharp tweezers. It wasn’t going to stop her attacker by any means, but perhaps if she hit somewhere useful it’d be enough that she could get away, or survive long enough to find a better weapon.

She grabbed the tweezers and quietly lifted her feet off the bench and onto the floor. She stood, wincing at the quiet sound of rustling cloth. Holding the tweezers in one hand and her locket still in the other, she tried to figure out where the sense of being watched was coming from. In the far corner by the door, perhaps? Her eyes had adjusted enough that she could see most of the room well, but that corner was always particularly dark, tucked away from light as it was.

“Who’s there?” she asked, pitching her voice as high and childishly afraid as she could. She moved on silent feet to the other edge of the room, with another bench between her and where she thought her attacker was. Hopefully they didn’t know the room as well as she did. If she could get to the door, if she could get out, if she could be certain the Spiked were alone… but she didn’t know.

She didn’t have any other options, though. There weren’t any other doors out except the big double doors in the back, and those would take ages to open. She briefly considered trying to get upstairs to her room and then escaping through the window, but she’d almost certainly injure herself in the drop. She wouldn’t get away if she couldn’t run.

So, then. The door it was. Only a mysterious attacker that was probably in the shadows near the door. Hopefully.

It was silent, still. El nearly screamed just to break through the silence, but she knew she’d be dead before the scream ended. Why didn’t the Spiked say something. Anything. A deep, malicious chuckle would do. She didn’t even know there was a Spiked in the room, really. It was only instinct telling her so. She’d been missing from the village for days now. Would the Spiked really kill her?

Well. If she was wrong, there would only be an empty room to laugh at her. Best to assume the worst. Which meant, at some point, that she needed to move.

Simplest was best. El ran, leaping over the bench and around the various obstacles with the ease of long familiarity. As she neared the door, she finally saw a glint of movement, and plunged her tweezers towards it in a vain attempt to protect herself

She reached the door, and tried to open it to find that it had been locked. She sprang for the latch, but already knew she would be too late long before the dagger came down, nicking her neck and leaving a long gash along her arm.

She tried to ignore the pain, and finally managed to open the door, running out as fast as she could. She didn’t care where, only away.

There were no footsteps behind her. But then, there hadn’t been any sound in the apothecary, either. She kept running, until she had passed the village square.

Her arm was easy to ignore with adrenaline coursing through her body. She risked a glance behind her.

There was no one there. She blinked, trying to look into the shadows, but she knew she’d find nothing. All was still. Why had the Spiked left her alone…?

She stumbled and nearly fell against a wall, arm twinging slightly. She touched it and felt it slick with blood. She should have been in more pain…

“Oh,” she gasped faintly. “I’m an idiot.”

Poison. Of course the dagger had been poisoned, and of course her increased heart rate had spread the poison through her body even faster. The Spiked didn’t need to come after her. All they needed to do was let her run.

Her arm was completely numb, now. She did fall against a wall and slide down it. She couldn’t go back to the apothecary to try to cure herself, if that were even possible at this late stage with no idea what the poison had been. The Spiked would be waiting if she tried.

She tried to get up, but couldn’t. Sitting down would be her death, she knew. Sitting and slowly… falling… asleep.

Yes. Sleep sounded nice. She would do that, then. Good night, Tyrian Falls…

El woke up somewhere that she somehow knew was called the Cognitive Realm. She rose out of her body groggily, leaving the poisoned corpse behind her, and - oh. She remembered, suddenly. Tyrian Falls. Getting trapped in time, dying and resurrected, again and again and again. She remembered her many lives as an orphan, always looking for her parents. Kassien... Always good, always trying to find the Spiked, always failing and dying. She couldn’t do it again. She couldn’t.

The mist was coalescing as it always did. She didn’t have much time.

El pushed against the mist, not trying to remember everything this time. Instead, she fought to break away, to find a path through the all-enclosing mist, to escape. She could feel her memories slipping away and shuddered at the horror of it and hated that she could do nothing to retain them. She fought until she could no longer remember why she was fighting.

Then, finally, there was a shift. Something was different this time. Something - someone? looked at her.

She heard a voice. What’s this? Why are you here, child? Well. This will never do. 

Something twisted, and the mist receded. El fell onto stone, gasping. She sat up, slowly, holding onto the cool marble beneath her. It felt… solid, in a way that she hadn’t felt in a long, long time.

She was in the real world again.

There, she heard. Much better.

“Who… what…” she managed to say, shaking from the relief of freedom at last. She tried to remain coherent, to thank her unknown rescuer. “Who saved me? Who are you?”

I am the one who protects you even when your parents abandoned you to your fate. I am the lord of time, the breaker of bonds. Do not worry, godchild. You are safe now.

El didn’t try to understand, for the moment. Curiosity could come later. For the time being, she simply smiled and relaxed as she had not for as long as she could remember. She was safe, at long last. That was enough.

To be continued.

Night 13 has ended and Day 13 begins! You have 48 hours.

Elbereth was attacked! They were a Regular Villager.

Good Luck!

gre_1487307599.png

Player List

Spoiler

Assassin In Burgundy: Fuzzy- Self Explanatory (Jaist) Village Smoker
Elenion: Cassius- Ladies Man (Casanova) Village Soother
Seonid: Senn Conrad- Minor Nobleman (Past Lives)
A Joe in the Bush: Jack Tormander- 4th Wall Breaker (Past Lives) Survived!
Jondesu: Remart- Just under 300 lbs. He swears! (Glutton, Handicapped [Leg]) Survived!
Manukos: Enias- Cleans things….somewhere (Neat) Regular Villager
I_Am_Stick: Stick- Is a Stick? (Forgetful)
Wyrmhero: Wyl Sharpe- Private Detective (Guardsman)
Nyali: Nyah- Orphan (Mistwraiths Ate My Parents) Spiked Mistborn
Herowannabe: Herwynbe- Terris Steward (Terris Steward)
Arinian: Arinian- Mercenary (Forgetful, Past Lives) Village Seeker
Conquestor: Mr. Hoid- Absentminded Prophet (Joker, Forgetful, Prophetic)
Silverblade5: Ryth- Former Guard (Gollum) Regular Villager
Magestar: Carmichael- High Roller (Narcissist, Compulsive Gambler) Village Smoker
Arraenae: Nicki- Noblewomen Researching Inquisitors (Theorist) Village Thug
Straw: Vomit- Messenger (Mistwraiths Ate My Parents, Gossip) Village Rioter
Doc12: Rin- Metallurgist (Tinker, Neat) Regular Villager
Hemalurgic_Headshot: Joe- Beggar/Former Band Member/Cook? (Useless, Cook) Village Thug
Araris Valerian: Aralis- Grumpy Elderly Man (Elderly, Cynic, Bearer of a Large Thwacking Staff)
Droughtbringer: Drought- Blind Man (Handicapped [Blind]) Village Coinshot
Stink: Various- Split Personality Mistborn (Insanity)
Ecthelion III: No Name- Retired Gentleman (Elderly) Village Soother
Kipper: Kip Pikker- Traveling Bard (Narcissist) Regular Villager
TheMightyLopen: Sothe- Thief (Unlucky) Village Lurcher
Madagascar: Matilda- Mad Cat Lady (Drunk) Village Thug
Dalinar Kholin: Reginald Canuck- Polite Wayne (Kleptomaniac) Spiked Mistborn
Drake Marshall: Felix- Traveller (Survivor Priest, Scholarly) Village Smoker
Bugsy6912: Annix- Terrisman Scholor (Scholor, Terrisman, Hobbyist) Regular Villager
Gamma Fiend: Grumbles- Innkeeper (Insanity) Regular Villager
Little Wilson: Whistler- Shopkeeper (Neat, Compulsive Gambler, Hobbyist) Survived!
Sart: Sart- Trickster (High Imperial)
Orlock Tsubodai: Locke Tekiel- Nobleman (Nobleman) Dropped
Wonko the Sane: Abundance Org (Organization)
Elbereth: El- Apprentice Apothecary (Hopeful Orphan, Past Lives) Regular Villager

Edited by Alvron

Why would the eliminators choose her? They might have been able to get her lynched today, unless they are going to attempt to lynch someone else. :blink: Also, we might as well as lynch Stink, I have no clue who the spiked, so, unless someone has a better idea. Stink.

"Ah, there goes another one," Mr. Hoid said. when was he going to be targeted? When was Ruin's servants going to come for him? He supposed it didn't matter, time would get him eventually.

Why wouldn't the eliminators choose Elbereth? They wouldn't have been able to get her lynched, unless they all decided to reveal themselves or something :blink: Also, we might as well as lynch Conquestor, I have no clue who the spiked, so, unless someone has a better idea. Conquestor.

Stink did some RP about why wasn't he killed yet, but then he remembered that people didn't even need to explain votes anymore. 

1 hour ago, STINK said:

Why wouldn't the eliminators choose Elbereth? They wouldn't have been able to get her lynched, unless they all decided to reveal themselves or something :blink: Also, we might as well as lynch Conquestor, I have no clue who the spiked, so, unless someone has a better idea. Conquestor.

Stink did some RP about why wasn't he killed yet, but then he remembered that people didn't even need to explain votes anymore. 

I actually agree with stink right now. That was a weird way to phrase it, Conquestor. 

4 hours ago, STINK said:

Uh, what about a truce Stink?

I don't understand why Elbereth was targeted, unless it was an attempt to make us lynch Stink - who had tried to get her killed.

(Full disclosure, I interpreted Stink's statements to be a veiled claim of being a Seeker. For reasons which I hope are obvious, I did not want to draw attention to it. I was wrong, as Wilson so helpfully pointed out: even the random assertions of evilness are par for the course.)

We're down to the wire, now. 12 of us left alive. With conquestor back, that's only 1 inactive (Wonko), unless Wyrm has been gone long enough to count. I'm guessing 4 Spiked left. That means that a single mislynch won't be fatal, but if we mislynch, lose a player, and mislynch again, I think we've lost. So this is our second to last chance. If Wyrm counts as inactive, we might lose if we mislynch today. (My numbers could be wrong)

With that said, my strongest suspicion at the moment is Herwynbe. I don't have time to do a full analysis right now, but I really don't like how he seems to have been Teflon-coated with regards to suspicion. Following that, in order, are Wilson, Wyrm, and then Magestar. I'm slightly suspicious of Jondesu as well, but I find Wilson to be a more likely candidate for a WGG than Jon, and I suspect that the Spiked pulled at least one of those (not likely more than one, but possible). Wilson happened at the beginning of the game, the most useful place for one to occur. Later on, the Spiked would have had better targets based on activity levels, hints about roles, information gained in PMs, and so on.

I agree, we're down to the wire. We've only got a couple rounds left to catch another eliminator or we're toast, unless they have a few more failed attacks. 

As for your suspicion of me... I'm confused about what exactly you mean by teflon coated? If you mean I've been able to avoid most of the suspicion this whole time- I haven't. One round I even had the second most votes. And if I had avoided suspicion, how does not being suspicious make me suspicious? :blink: 

And if you mean you suspect me because the suspicion on me hasn't been enough to get me lynched yet... well technically that's true of all of us.

Anyway, I've got to vote for my biggest suspicions. Right now that's Sart and Conquestor. If Conquestor is guilty, I suspect STINK too, but otherwise I think STINK is probably clear. Maybe.

Herwynbe followed the servant down the winding steps to the manor's storerooms. At the bottom of the steps, the servant unlocked the door and opened it, then stood aside so that Herwynbe could see. 

Herwynbe held his lantern high, peering into the gloom. Boxes and barrels lay scattered about the storeroom, their contents missing. 

"It's like I said, Master Steward, "Someone broke in and stole it all. We found it like this morning. Nobody knows how they got in, nobody saw anything and the door was still locked this morning."

Herwynbe frowned. "And the other storerooms? Did the thieves break into them as well?"

"No, but we checked them, too, and... well, one has been infested by rats. The other one had a leak we didn't see until we moved some crates around, and the damp spoiled most of the food. Mistress chef has her staff sorting through both of them to see what food we can salvage."

Herwynbe hesitated for a long moment. "How much?" He finally asked, "How long will it last."

"A few days," the servant said hesitantly. "If we continue to provide food for the village. We could make it last a few weeks if we kept it for the Master's household and staff-"

Herwynbe raised a hand, cutting the servant off. "No. If we abandon the townspeople now, then in a few weeks the only ones who will be around to eat these supplies will be the Koloss, I think. Share the food with the people. We will not let them spend their last days hungry. We will give them what hope we can."

6 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Anyway, I've got to vote for my biggest suspicions. Right now that's Sart and Conquestor.

Why oh why why why

17 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Sart

Why oh why why why

6 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

If Conquestor is guilty, I suspect STINK too,

Why oh why why why 

3 hours ago, STINK said:

Why oh why why why

Why oh why why why

Why oh why why why 

Reasons? I thought I made those reasons clear earlier but upon reflection maybe I didn't. 

My suspicion of Sart has been growing steadily for many cycles now. I disagree with much of his big analysis post a few cycles back, and it felt to me like he was trying to steer the public suspicions with it. He has been just active enough to cast some votes and post some suspicions here and there, but has been quiet enough to avoid attention for most of the game. His Eastern Street Slang- while appropriate for his RP- obscures most of his meaning and seems like a good way to hide in plain sight as an eliminator. 

I have had my eye on Conquestor for a little while too (let's be honest, I've had my eye on just about everyone), though I don't suspect him nearly as much as Sart. He's also been hovering around at the lower end of activity where it's easy to avoid attention and suspicion, but mostly it comes from the last minute vote swing last cycle away from you and onto Magestar. Conquestor started the vote for Mage, IIRC, and Sart also participated in that vote. I trust the others who voted for Mage, for the most part. Also, Joe- the one person we know we can all trust- suspects Conquestor the most right now. 

As for you, I only suspect you if it turns out that Conquestor and/or Sart are evil. If not then I don't have any particularly strong reason to suspect you- no more than usual anyway. 

Alrighto, looks prety solid to me. (Other than the whole if conq/sart are evil then stink is more likely to be, don't quite get that link tbh)

Anyway, there's 6 votes so far, with 2 on Conq, 2 on Sart and 2 on Hero. So,

Conq.

Jondesu.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:59 AM, Jondesu said:

Well, Rusts, I was wrong about Elbereth, that's for sure.

He already gets a notification from quoting, so no need to mention. But come on mate, this is all you have to say on D13?  

@STINK, that was all I had to say right then, yeah. Now? I'm finding all my analysis has been incorrect all along, as I said last cycle, and I'm honestly just not sure who to suspect or trust. I think I distrust you and Sart above all still, and since Sart already has two votes I'll go for him this round.

Edit: the big analysis posts of his are my main reason, since I not only disagreed, but he was going up against Seonid's analysis which I was much more in favor of.

Edited by Jondesu

13 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I think I distrust you and Sart above all still,

Hey you! Yes, you! If you're coming back from a bout of inactivity, then just remember that everyone else is still gonna treat you suspiciously! I mean seriously, all I'm seeing right now for the most part is active people going 'these guys are lurking/inactive so let's lynch them', while also thinking that there is more than one elim? Someone active has to be evil, and it's gonna be someone that's been active the whole time, for the most part. 

So Jondesu, thanks for talking a fair bit.

Stick, mind saying more this cycle than

On 2/16/2017 at 3:53 PM, _Stick_ said:

I'm going to vote on Sart when I'm not on mobile 

and then your vote on Sart? I mean, it's almost like you're evil and just trying to lynch villagers while others explain it or something idk

15 minutes ago, STINK said:

Stick, mind saying more this cycle than

and then your vote on Sart? I mean, it's almost like you're evil and just trying to lynch villagers while others explain it or something idk

He contributed to the Assassin and the Mage lynch. So did you, actually...