The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

I'd be down for either, but i liked the idea of another rerun for the anniversary game. I loved that it was played that way last year, and I think that rerunning the first game would be really fun. A 17th Shard Holiday tradition, if you will.

I'm of the same opinion as Seonid. Unless we get the Anon game approved, in which case, I vote for that one. The Epic weakness game sounds like fun, but I'd prefer it later. I think the AG should always be some kind of celebration(Either as a rerun of the first or in a way that celebrates the players).

I also vote for a rerun, and I'm excited that the Anon idea has finally become considered! I've wanted that for a while.

...as a side note, with Anon accounts, we could totes make a Disguiser role happen...

Edited by Kipper

The AG sounds fun! I would be up for either the new one or the old one.

This is an idea I've been tossing around in my head. I'm not exactly sure how GM'ing goes, but I would be fine if someone else GMed it.

QF or MR: The Shades of Threnody

Based in Threnody, from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. The basic story is that the players, a band of thieves, have taken shelter in an abandoned safehouse. Their leader lies dead outside, murdered, attracting quite a few shades. (I'm not very good at this preliminary story stuff...)

Gameplay:

There are two groups; the Loyal Crewmembers, and the Mutineers. The win conditions are pretty basic, the Mutineers are trying to outnumber the Crewmembers, and the Crewmembers are trying to kill the Mutineers.

The game consists of combined day/night cycles.

The twist for this game is the role of deceased players. When killed, a player becomes a shade. Each cycle, they can collectively inspect a single player. If the player uses a kill action, eliminator or not, the player is killed by the shade. The victim of the kill action is still dead. Sorry.

Every player starts out with a limited number of items. As an action each cycle, a player can either use an item or give it to another living player. All items can only be used once. Items carried by dead players are distributed randomly. What items the deceased had will not be made public.

Knife: Used to kill a player once.

Silver Powder: If carried, player is immune to shade kills. Only consumed if the player is inspected during a kill.

Intoxicant: Used to change a player's vote.

Order of Deaths: Eliminator -> Lynch -> Knife -> Shade 

So... Any suggestions?

Edits shown in italics.

Edited by RippleGylf

The AG sounds fun! I would be up for either the new one or the old one.

This is an idea I've been tossing around in my head. I'm not exactly sure how GM'ing goes, but I would be fine if someone else GMed it.

QF or MR: The Shades of Threnody

Based in Threnody, from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. The basic story is that the players, a band of thieves, have taken shelter in an abandoned safehouse. Their leader lies dead outside, murdered, attracting quite a few shades. (I'm not very good at this preliminary story stuff...)

Gameplay:

There are two groups; the Loyal Crewmembers, and the Mutineers. The win conditions are pretty basic, the Mutineers are trying to outnumber the Crewmembers, and the Crewmembers are trying to kill the mutineers.

The game consists of combined day/night cycles.

The twist for this game is the role of deceased players. When killed, a player becomes a shade. Each cycle, they can inspect a player. If the player uses a kill action, eliminator or not, the player is killed by the shade.

Every player starts out with a limited number of items. These items can be given to other players, but only once a cycle. Items carried by dead players are distributed randomly.

Knife: Used to kill a player once.

Silver Powder: If carried, player is immune to shade kills. Only consumed if the player is inspected during a kill.

Intoxicant: Used to change a player's vote. Consumed upon use.

So... Any suggestions?

My main concern would be what happens when there are an equal number of living player and shades. TheThe shades could just each target a different player, and then the mutineers could get locked down.

My main concern would be what happens when there are an equal number of living player and shades. TheThe shades could just each target a different player, and then the mutineers could get locked down.

Drat. Meant to add something about that, hold on...

Drat. Meant to add something about that, hold on...

What if it were a vote for who to target? Or not everyone becomes a shade, and provided you weren't inactive and weren't holding silver, there's a chance of becoming a shade. Chance increases if you were stabbed, and more if a mutineer killed you.

What if it were a vote for who to target? Or not everyone becomes a shade, and provided you weren't inactive and weren't holding silver, there's a chance of becoming a shade. Chance increases if you were stabbed, and more if a mutineer killed you.

Or it could be part of a players original role. Say like 1/3 of players are designated to become Shades as soon as they die. However they are not informed of it.

Or it could be part of a players original role. Say like 1/3 of players are designated to become Shades as soon as they die. However they are not informed of it.

I like the shades all voting to inspect 1 person the best. There's something odd about a game that gives you MORE power and ability once you die than what you had while you were alive.

I do like the idea of voting for one person to inspect. It would be easy to keep the same throughout the entire game. I don't know if I want to limit who can become a shade, because the whole inspiration behind this game was trying to make it still enjoyable for the dead players.

Still don't know whether or not I want to give the shades a separate win condition. Another thing I'm unsure about is whether or not dead Mutineers should get to vote as shades.  

This will likely be the next QF, set to go up once MR10 ends, with the new schedule. I'm not going to try many new mechanics in this, given the limited time for feedback. There could be hidden roles. There could not be hidden roles.

The Time of Reckoning

You live in California. Or you used to. Nowadays it's called Persepolis, named by the Epic who's ruled here since Calamity rose. All things considered, he isn't the worst. Public infrastructure is mostly gone, sure, but killing is frowned upon. A few months later, you woke up with powers yourself. You've pleased Perseus, and have made your way into his service. Perseus has need of all of you, but you would do well to remember: you are replaceable. Every day, Perseus chooses the worst among you, those who have contributed the least, and kills them. Personally. Every day there is a reminder that no one is untouchable. Even Epics. Even you.

You come from somewhere else. You've seen what the Epics do. And you've sworn to execute any who break the law. By a strange coincidence, that is almost all of them. For what they have done, for what they do, for what they will do, there will be a reckoning. And you are bringing it.

Alignments

Reckoner: You want to kill all the Epics you can, even at the cost of your own life. The Reckoners have a google doc to conspire in, and may make one group kill per cycle.

Win Condition: Equal or outnumber the Epics

Epic: You want to get rid of those pesky Reckoners, although you wouldn't mind getting ahead in Perseus' court while you're at it...

Primary Win Condition: Kill all the Reckoners

Secondary Win Condition: Survive

Tertiary Win Condition: Kill as many other Epics as you can

Roles

This game is Role Madness: all players will have a role that is not "No Powers".

No role is safe. An epic may have 1 or more of the following powers. Reckoners may have (a) power(s), but they would be granted by technology. There is no distinction between an Epic power and a Reckoner power. You may use 1 active power per cycle.

Active Powers:

Illusions: You're very good at making pretty pictures in someone else's brain. You may trick someone into voting for another person once per cycle. You may change a vote from, but not to, "no vote". You may make people vote for themselves.

Invisibility: You can turn yourself invisible, and sneak around. While invisible, you've been known to follow people around. You may choose one person per cycle to follow, and you will discover which power, if any, they used that cycle.

Matter Disruption: You can change matter to its opposite. Luckily for the planet, you were a bit of a nerd before you gained powers and have only chosen to create tiny amounts of antimatter at once. You may attempt to kill one player per cycle.

Forcefields: You can create walls of pure energy, able to deflect even the strongest of forces. You may protect one player with these walls every cycle. You may protect yourself.

Transmogrification: You can change objects into other objects. You can turn someone's door into solid wood, locking them inside their room and preventing their vote from counting.

Passive Powers:

Accelerated Healing: You heal wounds extremely quickly. With it, you can survive an assassination attempt much easier than a regular person. The first time you would die, you will survive, though the energy you expend will prevent you from healing again. Accelerated Healing does not protect from Perseus.

Magnified Persuasion: You can convince people of your point of view very easily. As such, when you vote, it will count twice.

Enhanced Relationships: You have formed close bonds with everyone you know, and they definitely wouldn't want to kill you. Your vote total is decreased by 1, unless nobody voted for you.

Telepathy: You can hear others' thoughts, and can project yours into their minds. At the beginning of the game, you may request a certain number of PMs with other players. If a player you have a PM with dies, you may request another PM.

Heat Vision: Your can see thermal signatures and can't be deceived by invisibility. You find it amusing to fool those who follow you. If you are followed by an Invisible player, you will be informed that you were followed and they will get a random result.

Notes:

The only means of PMs is Telepathy. No other PMs are allowed.

The write-up will include all kill attempts, including both the method of attack and the method of defense, if any. Only dead players will be named in the write-up. There may be hints in write-ups, but it is not a good idea to read too much into wording.

Order of Actions:

1. Votes

2. All passive powers

3. Lynch

4. Forcefield

5. Illusions

6. Transmogrification

7. Invisibility

8. Matter Disruption and Reckoner Kill

Please give me your questions, comments, and concerns.

• 2 months later...

Here is Elbereth's and my MR game, which will probably be MR13.  I know that this thread hasn't been replied to for several months, but I would really appreciate feedback.

MR 13  — Treachery on the Terris Peaks[/size]

GMs: Ostrichofevil & Elbereth

Background:
A elite group of Terris Feruchemists, you have been selected to accompany Alendi and his companions on their trip to the Well of Ascension.  However, rumors have started to circulate around the party that several among you are not loyal to Alendi and his quest.  It is vital to the success of the mission that you find and eliminate the traitors so that Alendi may reach the Well of Ascension alive.

Factions:

• Loyal Terrisman/woman — You are the group of Feruchemists that the Worldbringers selected to see Alendi safely to the Well of Ascension.  Your job is to find and vote out the disloyal members of the party.
  • Disloyal Terrisman/woman — Led by Rashek, your job is to follow Kwaan’s urgent message that Alendi “must not reach the Well of Ascension, for he must not be allowed to release the thing that is imprisoned there.”  You will be given a doc in which to plan and conspire.  Each cycle, you will be given one kill.  To win, you must outnumber the loyal Terrismen. You do not have to outnumber Alendi’s Companions, only the number of Terrismen left.
  • Alendi’s companions — Your loyalty to Alendi is known to the whole party, and as such, you are publicly known to be innocent.  You have no special abilities and may not PM any other Companion.   You have the same win condition as the Loyal Terrismen.

Format:
Each cycle will be 48 hours long with combined days and nights.  You have until 10pm EST / 7pm PST to submit actions and PMs.  The next cycle will start once a new thread is posted.  You have one action per cycle.  
The order of events is as such:

• Environmental Phenomena
  • Vote count and lynch
  • Feruchemy
  • Eliminator kill

Votes and Lynching:
Each player may vote once per cycle using the normal voting convention (red and green text).  The player with the most votes is either left behind or eliminated, depending upon the number of votes they received:
Three or more - You are eliminated and sent to the dead doc.
Two or fewer - You are left behind.  You are out for the next cycle and have a 60 percent chance of catching up and rejoining the game the following cycle.  If you do not catch up, you try again next cycle.  If you do not catch up on that cycle, you die.

Conditions:
These are certain conditions that players may find themselves in over the course of the game.

Injury - You suffer an injury.  If, while injured, you are injured again, you die.  After 3 turns of being injured, you have a 50% chance of recovering on each subsequent turn.

Illness - The cold can sometimes cause players to become ill.  The turn that you tap brass, you will not become ill.  If, on the next turn, you do not tap brass, you have a 5% chance of becoming ill. If, on the turn after that, you do not tap brass, you have a 10% chance of becoming ill.  On subsequent turns if you do not tap brass, you will become ill (as well as the other effect, which is explained below).

While ill, your mobility is limited, which gives you a 30% chance of being left behind. This functions in the same way as it would using the vote.

Environmental Phenomena:
The Terris mountains are a dangerous place, and as such, a variety of dreadful things may happen to you over the course of the game:

Fall (5%) - You trip and fall down a ledge.  You have a 30 percent chance of being seriously hurt and losing your action this cycle and the following one. Otherwise you just miss the next cycle.

Landslide (20%) - A group of give or take 5 random players are victim to a landslide which strands them behind the rest of the group and may not take any actions that will affect other players or post on the thread during the next cycle.  They may, however, take actions that affect themselves or other victims of the landslide.  They may also PM other players in the landslide.  Other players may not take actions that affect victims of the landslide.  The bottom line is that players in the landslide are separated from the rest of the game.

Feruchemy:
All players except for Alendi’s Companions may use their action to either store or tap one Feruchemical charge per cycle.  You begin the game with 3 charges distributed randomly among the metals and enough charges of brass to use it an indefinite number of times without it running out.

Iron - While storing iron, you are lighter and are therefore able to fall without being seriously hurt.  This is a passive ability that does not require an action, but you may only have 5 charges of iron stored at a time.  Once you reach five charges, you may no longer store iron.  While tapping iron, you have a 50 percent chance of being seriously hurt during a fall.

Steel - While storing steel, it takes you two cycles to catch back up to the group if you are left behind.  While tapping steel, you can’t be left behind as you catch up so quickly. You may also avoid all Falls and Landslides. (?)

Pewter - While storing pewter, you die if you are left behind.  While tapping pewter, you may injure one player.  Players have a 40 percent chance of knowing who injured them.

Tin - While storing tin, you die if you are injured as you don’t see the attack coming.  While tapping tin, you may avoid being injured or killed as your keen senses allow you to notice the attack.

Brass - You must use your action to tap brass at least once every three turns.  (After you tap brass, you have two turns in which you do not have to tap brass.) If you do not, you will have a 50 percent chance of freezing to death in each subsequent turn.

Zinc - While storing Zinc, your cognition is limited.  As such, you are limited to only 20 words to use the entire cycle.  You may not talk for the rest of the cycle once those words have been used.  While tapping Zinc, you get an extra action on your next turn and one on this turn due to your increased mental speed.

Bronze - While storing bronze, you lose your vote as you are asleep.  While tapping bronze, you need not sleep and as such witness one random kill that happens that night.

Gold - When you store gold, you become injured for that cycle.  If you are attacked using pewter, you die.  If you store gold while injured, you die.  If you store gold and are injured on the same turn, you die.  When you tap gold, you stop being injured if you are injured.  This healing is permanent.

For a copy of this that's being updated, go here

Run as a long game, call it "war upon the plains"

Factions:

Army: win if all parshandi are dead

Parshandi: win if army is dead

Sons of honor: win if parshandi win

Ghostbloods: try to survive

Powers:

Adhesion: you stick a person to a wall preventing them from using their action that cycle.

Gravity: you redirect all actions used on a person to yourself.

Division: you may attempt to kill one person.

Abrasion: you turn one one person frictionless causing them to be able to use two actions the next cycle.

Progression: choose one person who died last cycle to return, this person is now a average joe.

Illumination: you can change the vote of one person to a person of your choice however the person becomes paranoid and cannot be affected by you again.

Transformation: you can transform the blood of two people into a vile concoction that kills them in two cycles i.e. Poisoned on 1st cycle die in forth cycle write up. These two people are informed of their condition and who poisoned them.

Transportation: you redirect the actions of a person to a random person.

Cohesion: you can roleblock a person.

Tension: you trap one person in their room during the daytime preventing their vote from counting.

Roles:

windrunner: adhesion and gravity.

Passive ability: all actions performed on you reverse and are instead applied to the person who used the action.

Skybreaker: Gravity and division

Passive ability: you find out the alignment of a random person.

Dust bringer: division and abrasion

Passive ability: you kill a random person.

Edge dancer: abrasion and progression

Passive ability: you grow plants in the room of a random person while they sleep preventing them from leaving their room to vote during the day.

Truth watcher: progression and illumination

Passive ability: you have a vision telling you the role of a random player.

Light Weavers: illumination and transformation.

Passive ability: you put a message on a wall that all players will see.

Else Caller: transformation and transportation

Passive ability: you change the vote of a random person to another random person.

Will Shaper: transportation and cohesion

Passive ability: you change the receiver of a random players action to a random person.

Stone ward: cohesion and tension

Passive ability: you roleblock a random player.

Bond smith: tension and adhesion

Passive ability: you have two votes.

Squire: you can use the passive ability of the order to which you are assigned

Storm Form: you can kill one person.

No form: you look just like a parshman.

War Form: you can protect one player.

Parshman: you can choose to be with the army faction or the parshandi faction.

Shard Bearer: you can survive one attack or one Lynch and kill a player each cycle.

Average joe: you have no powers but you can vote to Lynch a player.

Notes:

Passive abilities are automatically used if no action is used that cycle and can only be used three times in a game.

No one can tell who is parshandi due to the fact that everyone wears paper bags over their heads.

Parshandi, ghost bloods, and sons of honor get docs to communicate with.

Each cycle a random player gets in the way of szeth and is killed.

Every cycle a random average joe will have a 25% chance of turning into a squire and a 5% chance of turning into a surgebinder.

A worldhopper has come to roshar and has to try to find and kill Hoid. They can find out the role of one player and kill one player each cycle.

Hoid is in hiding and is trying to survive the coming storm while making sure that the army wins. He can change the votes of two players each cycle.

After ten cycles all parshmen turn into Parshandi.

Not all roles will be used.

Factions should be about 60% army 5% sons of honor 5% ghostbloods 20% parshandi 8% parshmen 1% worldhopper 1% Hoid.

Sorry to double post

So the sons of honor are basically more parshendi.

Basically, but they have human powers like surgebinding.

This game would have to have a lot of players so please tell me if you would like to run it/play it and if enough people say they would play it than I will run it in June/July.

Remember in the books the sons of honor want the parshandi to release the everstorm so their win condition is to keep the parshandi alive until cycle 10 when the everstorm is released (they think that the everstorm will return the heralds.)

Edit: will sign up to do a quick fix during sometime in the future that will be set in black prism universe. Tell me if you are interested in doing writeups and co game mastering.

Edited by ThatTinyStrawMan

MR12 Should start sign-ups sometime over the next couple days. Not sure who's running it, but it'll be soon. :P

Hellscythe and I are. We'll have signups begin on Friday. It's a gang war in the early days of Calamity's appearance.

Edited by Mailliw73

Here’s a QF based on Brent Weeks’ Lightbringer series, which ThatTinyStrawMan and I will be co-GMing at some point. Props go to him for coming up with everything. I only had to format it.

QF: The Black Prism

This is a standard quick fix elimination game. 24-hour day-night combined cycles.

Each player may PM one other person per cycle. This order must be sent in the cycle before. (If the player you target dies, you do not get a PM.)

There may or may not be secret roles.

Factions

Drafters

Standard Village faction. Note that although the faction is called Drafters, not every player will be a drafter. Win if they kill all spies within 10 cycles.

Spies

Standard Elimination faction. One kill per cycle, with a google doc in which to conspire. After 10 cycles, the Spies win even if they have not outnumbered the Drafters.

Roles

Drafters

If a drafter drafts more than 7 times, they will become a wight and be executed immediately. There are seven different types of drafter, one for each color. Combinations (bichromes) are possible.

Sub-red

Sub red drafters may attempt every cycle to light someone’s room on fire and kill them. This has a 25% chance of working under normal circumstances, but if the room contains pyrejelly the attempt is guaranteed to work.

Red

Red drafters can cover a room with pyrejelly, preventing the person inside from taking any actions or voting.

Orange

As an orange drafter, you are very good at illusion. You can illusion someone else into voting with you. Thus you may change someone else’s vote, including no vote every cycle.

Yellow

Yellow drafters can create a yellow flare every cycle and give it to someone (including themselves). When that person dies, the role and alignment of their killer is revealed (but not their name).

Green

Green drafters block the doorway, preventing anyone else from acting on that person, including the assassin but not the eliminator kill.

Blue

A blue drafter is able to draft a luxin sword, which they may give to one other person every cycle. The sword can be used to kill one player. It may be passed to any player (as an action), except the blue drafter who made it.

Superviolet

Superviolet drafters have a 50% chance of tripping someone once a cycle, preventing them from PMing or taking any actions for a cycle.

Bichromes (drafters with two colors) are possible, and can use any one of their colors in any turn. To simplify matters, they will only have access to adjacent colors (ex. a bichrome with red luxin can also draft either sub-red or orange, but not green). Full Polychromes (drafters with every color) are also possible.

Non-drafters (and miscellanea)

Servants

Servants, by virtue of being able to wander about freely, can discover the role of one player each cycle.

Blinder’s Knife

One roleless person will begin with the Blinder’s Knife. It is an item, and thus may be given to another person (as an action). To use, the person wielding the Knife must attack a polychrome. (If the person attacked is not a polychrome, the knife is lost forever.) They may choose whether to take the polychrome’s powers or transform the polychrome into the Prism. If they take the polychrome’s powers, the Knife passes to the former polychrome. When the Blinder’s Knife is used, the writeup will show that it has been used and how it was used, but not which players were involved.

Prism

The prism is a polychrome who is immune to becoming a wight.