Lift's Specialities

Mailliw73

Lift might just be my new favorite character in the series for now. And she is very interesting. Her food metabolizing power is interesting. Maybe she can't drain stormlight energy from gems now as a result. She's probably never had money, and probably won't for a while, so we'll have to see.

But her 'awesomeness' power is definitely pretty nifty.

I'm not sure how useful the Kaladin comparisons are. I think the assumption that all the Orders will exhibit the same signs upon attaining a new ideal is faulty. I think that making comparisons in behavior between Orders should be done with care and that we should be wary of those assumptions. Look at how different Shallans cryptic is from Kaladins Honorspren. Was Shallans truth the equivalent of her second ideal? We don't know.  Wyndle appears to be as different from Syl as he appears to be from a cryptic.

It's interesting what goes on with Lift. Her pool of investiture was bone dry after being subjected to the captured Amian Wasp thing. She ate a roll, and almost immediately began to refill her pool. This leads me to believe that unlike an ordinary Surgebinder, she has a constant reserve of energy waiting to be used, but that pool of energy takes longer to fill. It also indicates that the food doesn't need to be digested physically for her to obtain energy, because while a roll may digest quickly, it doesn't digest that quickly. The sausage that followed would certainly take longer to digest than the roll, but once again, she quickly metabolizes the food into investiture.

In regards to the speed of energy conversion: Drawing Stormlight from gemstones = the speed of breath. Drawing investiture from food = longer. She can do it fast, but not as fast as breathing. Kaladin can drain the Stormlight from an entire bag full of Spheres in one breath, Lift, I would assume, needs to eat a large meal or convert body fat to obtain an equal amount of investiture. If Lift was better fed, and had fat stores that I'm assuming she could convert, I don't think the Wasp would have been able to affect that until the conversion took place.

I have a feeling that Lift just walked up into the Nightwatchers valley and asked to be "Awesome." Then Cultivation laughed her divine chull off and happly obliged.

Can I use this quote as my sig? Or do I have to wait until stuff from the WoR spoilers are allowed to be discussed on the whole forum?

Green Fire, on 23 Oct 2013 - 05:56, said:snapback.png

I have a feeling that Lift just walked up into the Nightwatchers valley and asked to be "Awesome." Then Cultivation laughed her divine chull off and happly obliged.

Can I use this quote as my sig? Or do I have to wait until stuff from the WoR spoilers are allowed to be discussed on the whole forum?

I would be honored.  Though, I am predominantly a Lurker and am a little hazy on spoiler rules for Sigs.  I would probably hold off on it since it ties in strongly with Cosmere spoilers namely Cultivation/ Nightwatcher speculation.   

I still think Lift can't absorb Stormlight from gems or the traditional methods. That might be one of the pay-offs of her power (not exactly the curse, maybe just a side-effect). 
Because she held out a diamond chip still with stormlight right after she first used her "awesomeness".

Will be useful for escaping quite a bit I imagine. Your captors won't keep you near gems, but they'll probably always feed you.

I am not convinced. For all we know, Lift has always acquired her Stormlight from food - she wouldn't even think about getting it by inhaling the light stored in gemstones (in fact, she was wondering why Darkness' minions were doing their thing with the shifting of spheres as they walked). So she wouldn't consider to put herself in the right mindset to draw Stormlight from the gems. Whenever she wants awesomeness, her brain would go "get it from food" not "get it from gemstones" (which is what Szeth and the now-trained Kaladin do) or "get it from anywhere" (which is akin to what Kaladin was doing before he knew what he was doing).

I don't know if Lift can absorb Stormlight from gems or not. I do think that after 'capturing' Wyndle it became apparent to her that when she was 'awesome', she got hungry.

I believe that her ability to convert food into investiture replaced her ability to absorb Stormlight from gems. That the Nightwatcher rewrote the internal pathways to how power was accessed. The truth of the matter is that we really don't have any idea. Lift would have almost immediately begun associating food with awesomeness, so she wouldn't have necessarily ever even tried to access Stormlight. In fact we have pretty good evidence in the interlude that she had no idea it was even possible. She doesn't listen to Wyndle most of the time, so she more than likely would have shut him down if he tried to explain, and he was definitely confused at her abilities.

Hmm, I admit -- partially contrary to what I said a few days ago -- that Lift indeed nearly instantly "got awesome" after eating something. That could mean she metabolizes Stormlight from each source she gets -- but also from her own body (this is why Wyndle was worried).

But I'm sure she didn't really surgebind before Wyndle joined and taught her. To me it seems that all of her knowledge about Friction and Growth comes from Wyndle, though she might have had the predisposition as Kal had, too.

Gloom, what do you exactly mean with "her abilities"? Her surgebinding?

If yes: I think he's not worried about her surgebinding but only that she can feel and touch him, as for spren aren't touchable (normally). :) If you meant that, I apologize.

Actually, I was referring to her abilities in regards to how she metabolizes investiture (I hesitate to call it Stormlight). He seemed a bit perplexed about that as well as her ability to touch him. I'm waiting for Lift to run into a particularly snarky spren that gives her lip so we can have the fun factor of watching her slap it upside the head.

I don't even want to get into the implications of her being able to touch spren, or "existing partially in the cognitive realm" like Wyndel says. Does this mean she can interact and possibly see other typing of bonding spren? Would she see and interact with Syl or the Cryptics?

I don't even want to get into the implications of her being able to touch spren, or "existing partially in the cognitive realm" like Wyndel says. Does this mean she can interact and possibly see other typing of bonding spren? Would she see and interact with Syl or the Cryptics?

I believe this would be possible, and even amusing.

heh, I don't think that would be a huge problem for Syl, as she either looks like Windspren, or a cute little fairy. If it did happen, Lift would be tripping left and right for the next few weeks. Syl is more than a bit mischievous.

I think some of the more self important spren, however, would be horrified.

I could easily see Lift asking why she got a stupid plant instead of a pretty fairy though, and giving Wyndle a hard time about not being as awesome as Syl.

Edited by Gloom

Yes, but we know that Syl can "slap" Lift, too, as she did when she wanted Kal to wake up on his first bridge run and once more when he refused to listen to her (IIRC that was, after he did his first training).

But indeed a Syl - Lift - discussion will be at least as interesting as the Szeth - Kaladin - fight. :)