Lift's Specialities

Mailliw73

I just noticed an interesting parallel. Lift grows hungry and uses food to gain Stormlight, while those with the Royal Locks get hungry when they grow their hair. I'm not sure if this is simple coincidence (both need fuel from somewhere) or if it's not, what it implies, but it was just something I noticed.

Could Lift's ability to get Stormlight from food be an unintended consequence?

I mean, we know from Wyndle that Lift got her ability from the Nightwatcher before she bonded with Wyndle.

However, lacking a spren bond, the ability to make stormlight from food is a next to useless ability isn't it? You can do precicely nothing with it.

Maybe the Nighwatcher gave lift the ability for get more energy out of her food. Then the spren bond somehow made this so that the extra energy was converted to stormlight though some weird magical interaction (since presumably Wyndle and the Nightwatcher magic are basically the same source - Cultivation).

The bond with Wyndle allows her to surgebind. Based on what we have seen from Kaladin, there are many advantages to holding stormlight besides surgebinding (faster healing, better reflexes, holding your breath, etc). Maybe instead of "never be hungry" she asked to never hurt. "OK, then you can heal yourself with stormlight generated from food." This might actually fit with the duality of the Nightwatcher: Boon: you can heal yourself with stormlight; Curse: you can only do it with food (a precious resource for a street urchin).

Starvin' unfair, that is!

Indeed, you are correct. Stormlight has many benefits for Windrunners outside of Lashings.

However, are those benefit still conveyed if you are not a surgebinder? Or not a Windrunner?

The Windrunners (and Szeth - who is like a Diet Windrunner) are the only Order we have seen manifest this ability.

I do not think it is so simple as you make out.

Edited by MadRand

The Windrunners (and Szeth - who is like a Diet Windrunner) are the only Order we have seen manifest this ability.

What about the Stoneward in Starfall?  Lift reports that Darkness is awesome too and is able to follow her unnaturally quickly.  While we don't see it, we can't assume that Jasnah and Shallan can't infuse.  My working assumption at this point is that all Surgebinders can infuse.   

What about the Stoneward in Starfall?  Lift reports that Darkness is awesome too and is able to follow her unnaturally quickly.  While we don't see it, we can't assume that Jasnah and Shallan can't infuse.  My working assumption at this point is that all Surgebinders can infuse.   

In one of the Shallan chapters, after she's in the hospital, Shallan remembers how she changed the goblet into blood.

"Upon opening her pouch to check on the Soulcaster, she'd found that the sphere Kabsal had given her had stopped glowing. She could remember a vague feeling of light and beauty, a raging storm inside of her."

- Chapter 48 (Strawberry), pp. 678

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "infusing" stormlight, Hoser, but I believe that Shallan's order at least can hold stormlight inside their bodies. Whether this was the Stormlight simply passing through her body to the goblet, or whether she held the stormlight and then gave it to the goblet, I have no idea.

If I completely misinterpreted your words, I apologize in advance. 

In one of the Shallan chapters, after she's in the hospital, Shallan remembers how she changed the goblet into blood.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "infusing" stormlight, Hoser, but I believe that Shallan's order at least can hold stormlight inside their bodies. Whether this was the Stormlight simply passing through her body to the goblet, or whether she held the stormlight and then gave it to the goblet, I have no idea.

If I completely misinterpreted your words, I apologize in advance. 

Good catch!  Thank you.  I didn't remember that.  I had assumed that she was the conduit, but I didn't remember what it felt like for her.  I was positing that she will also be able to hold stormlight over time and glow, heal, move faster, etc.  I think the quote may support the idea, but it is not really an example of what I meant by infusing. 

I think you read him right, Chrono.  Good quote, very germaine.

Welcome! And what Shardlet said. 

Actually, I kind of thought the Soulcasting Orders would be exceptions, with every other Order besides them being able to hold Stormlight to get the strength/healing benefits.

It didn't seem like Lift was able to use the Stormlight body enhancement in her chapter, she only uses her Surges, but that might just be because of either a lack of available Stormlight or her own unique nature.

Again, I'd be shocked if all ten orders couldn't use internal stormlight. It would be a major break in the symmetry of the magic system, and frankly, without that basic ability, those orders of knights would be chopped liver on the battlefield. Soulcasting, despite how awesome it is, is not the most useful surge in combat. One on one in a alley against some thugs, it'll do, though even then it uses a huge amount of stormlight. Against a thunderclast? No way. 

I'm pretty sure we'll find out though; in the Purelake vision, the Radiant Dalinar is with glows a "deep red". Sounds much more like garnet than ruby, to me...

I seriously, seriously doubt that the second ideal of the Lightweavers is "I murdered my father".

LOL!

This is just scaring me. I've now imagined this scenario:

(Not a spoiler, just making it smaller.)

Szeth is captured. Shallan is interrogating him.

"My cryptic friends want to know what you did to become Truthless. They like secrets."

Szeth pauses. "I'm a murderer. I killed my father."

(Explosion of light. Szeth escapes.)

Redshirt guard asks, "Brightness Davar! What happened?"

"I freed a mass murderer."

(Explosion of light. Shallan becomes more powerful. Kills witnesses with Shardblade.)

• 1 month later...

Since the Lift interlude has been released to the public, is it cool to talk about her throughout the forum?

I really just want to change my sig to this.....

Green Fire, on 23 Oct 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:snapback.png

I have a feeling that Lift just walked up into the Nightwatchers valley and asked to be "Awesome." Then Cultivation laughed her divine chull off and happly obliged.

Since the Lift interlude has been released to the public, is it cool to talk about her throughout the forum?

I really just want to change my sig to this.....

Green Fire, on 23 Oct 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:snapback.png

I would say no.  It is still spoilery, not everyone is reading the pre-release material.  Even with it being released to the public it is still required to be in spoiler tags outside of the Steelhunt forum and the WoR Spoiler forum.

This is just scaring me. I've now imagined this scenario:

(Not a spoiler, just making it smaller.)

Szeth is captured. Shallan is interrogating him.

"My cryptic friends want to know what you did to become Truthless. They like secrets."

Szeth pauses. "I'm a murderer. I killed my father."

(Explosion of light. Szeth escapes.)

Redshirt guard asks, "Brightness Davar! What happened?"

"I freed a mass murderer."

(Explosion of light. Shallan becomes more powerful. Kills witnesses with Shardblade.)

Beautiful and worthy of an upvote if for no other reason than the redshirt guard getting it.