Long Game 74: You Want It Darker

Kasimir

24 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

... so that’s why you were so talkative at what was around 11:00 at night PST :P

Yes I know you stay up that late anyway Illwei

Been telling y'all my timezone is SGT/GMT+8, which is why it's a bit awkward for stateside players. @TJ Shade knows this pain, am I right, Dark Bro? :P But my hours have been really awful so there's that.

21 minutes ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Hm. So Kas is evil incarnate. But, doesn't this just mean he is straight up Ruin? After all, we know he's gonna be speaking to the spiked! He's not just evil, HE'S RUIN!! Can we simply vote out a shard??? 

You wound me, Burntling :(

After all these years? I gave you a knife and let you slaughter your way through guests at a party. I led you to the gathering of conspirators and let you and Elan have your murderous way with them. Was all that blood not enough to satiate you? I'm not responsible for the darkness in the human heart, Burntling, nor your choices - all I did was give you exactly what you wanted. 

Victims. People to toy with, betray, and murder.

And you call me evil incarnate? I, who have bled for the Village and died for the Village, and who have, by your own words, not been Evil in millennia? :( 

I am disappoint. 

Ladies, gentlespren - I take my leave. You have, by my reckoning, slightly under twelve hours to get your votes in before rollover.

Edited by Kasimir

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

You wound me, Burntling :(

After all these years? I gave you a knife and let you slaughter your way through guests at a party. I led you to the gathering of conspirators and let you and Elan have your murderous way with them. Was all that blood not enough to satiate you? I'm not responsible for the darkness in the human heart, Burntling, nor your choices - all I did was give you exactly what you wanted. 

Victims. People to toy with, betray, and murder.

And you call me evil incarnate? I, who have bled for the Village and died for the Village, and who has, by your own words, not been Evil in millennia? :( 

I am disappoint. 

Ladies, gentlespren - I take my leave. You have, by my reckoning, slightly under twelve hours to get your votes in before rollover.

Ah. I see you caught me in my lie, dear friend.  After all, is not Ruin my favoured lord? Is not Ruin who I have always fought for? Murdered for? Betrayed for? Sung for? Ruin is, and by extension, you, true, not evil incarnate, as far as I am concerned. Ruin is, as you have just described, a facilitator, one who gives those who follow him the means to ruin. And you know I would do it all again if you grant me such a blessing. Grant me the tools and you know I will lay waste to those who are against me. This I swear, ancient one.

This is what you know: You are an ant before a council of gods. They speak of legends and fables, of days long before your time, and you know in your heart of hearts that you will never match their glory. They banter with knives and bloodshed and fangs, and what are you before them? You are new to the table, one of a vast generation that came crawling out of the broken earth to witness these people smile with mouths of shadow and lies. They forged this land from nothing, they tore it out of the cruel landscape of the void, they built an empire from ash, and you thought yourself worthy of marching alongside them. 

The one who guides you into the mists engages in raillery with old friends, speaking of figures from myth as though they were as close as the grave. You try to partake in the laughter, but it quickly turns into a game you cannot follow, into a dance you do not know. The mythos opens its maw to swallow you whole, and you drown beneath the weight of history, beneath all the days you never knew, all the people you'll never know, all the years they carved out without you. You could disappear, and they would never notice your absence, or if they did, it would only be as another line on a spreadsheet. You could fade into the mists, and they'd continue on without you. You are not Lore, not Legend, and in the face of Glory, you know that all dreams of Becoming were just that: dreams. 

You stand at the feet of giants, of titans, of gods, and you Know with bitter certainty that you are fundamentally Different, fundamentally Other from the First Ones. You are young, stumbling to your feet and running down paths that they have witnessed a thousand thousand times before. When they were as you are now, you were a child, too small to even dream of possibility. They play games while you try to survive. And you might try to stand by them, to keep pace as they stride onwards, but you have always been a follower. You hide in the corner and let them have their fun, following one or another as their pretty words sway your feeble mind. 

You reiterate their words with your voice, acting as their instrument. You listen and obey. Perhaps if you mimic them enough, you will become them. Perhaps if you act as they do, perhaps if you simply claw your niche into the earth they made, then perhaps they will remember you. Perhaps your work will not be wiped away by the sands of time, left as a mere footnote in the bloody tapestry of history. But no one gets remembered as a copy of someone else. Inevitably, you will be remembered in connection to another. Or perhaps you are being melancholy again, lamenting the fate that has not yet bound you. Yet here you stand, a crawling thing before dragons, waiting to be forgotten as soon as you leave.

The First Ones are Eternal. The Next Generation is not. Hundreds of names in that spreadsheet, and most are relics without a mythos. They stand with blood on their knives and joy in their hearts and a smile on their lips, and you can't help but long for halcyon days, the formative days, the days when anyone could be a myth, a legend, a Story, and all it took was simply existing and being glorious. But of course, you wouldn't be a myth of eras past either. These people, these First Ones you follow as a matter of course, they existed then too. That's what defines them as First Ones. And you, ever the follower, would have marched behind them in that era as well. No matter the time or the meta or the mythos, you have always been easily swayed by insidious words and shiny things.

This is not the best era, nor the worst era, but simply an era, the era you have arrived in, and despite your idle misery, you know logically that this era is a fine one. The First Ones remain to steer you away from the paths they have traversed and fallen down on. The New Generation stands by your side to run down the wild paths anyways. The future shines before you, brighter than ever, and you will be a part of that future, so long as you don't leave. Yes, there are pitfalls and dangers, but the Legion marches by your side. The tapestry weaves itself with skeins of death and bloodshed, and you have already claimed lives for its cloth. You are a part of this history, even if you will never match the shadows that the First Ones cast. You hold the knife, and the Legion stands with you. Always.

1 hour ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Ah. I see you caught me in my lie, dear friend.  After all, is not Ruin my favoured lord? Is not Ruin who I have always fought for? Murdered for? Betrayed for? Sung for? Ruin is, and by extension, you, true, not evil incarnate, as far as I am concerned. Ruin is, as you have just described, a facilitator, one who gives those who follow him the means to ruin. And you know I would do it all again if you grant me such a blessing. Grant me the tools and you know I will lay waste to those who are against me. This I swear, ancient one.

I'll admit, old friend, it's a little tempting. But it's not Ruin you're talking to, and if it's Ruin you're looking for, you'll want my bro Axl ( @Matrim's Dice) over there.

I am and have always been only Kasimir.

In LG5, the Village drowned in blood as they slew their brethren to get to me. They never saw me coming. Not until Wyrm stopped me, with a well-placed arrow. In MR1, they killed me three times in fear and still I lived. Wyrm had to stick the knife in twice more before I would die. I descended to the lands of the dead and rooted out every single last one of his kin, and had the living send his wretched soul to the underworld to explain himself to me and Awes. 

In LG6, I died through a bargain poorly-struck with Maili, rather than because my Evil was discovered. I was in their deepest circle of trust and Alv, too, claimed to me as security against Wilson and Awes. In QF2, I died early, valiantly trying to hunt the mutineers, as my bro Wyrm sought to avenge me.

In MR3, I was the Forgotten everyone forgot existed, and together, Wyrm and I tirelessly rooted out every Villager and had them executed. 

I was the King's Wit in MR4, rallying Dalinar's loyalists against the perfidy of the spies. I tricked the spying Ser Wolf into conversation and worked out his identity. I crossed wits with Meta several times and lived to tell the tale. Meta did not. I survived every single one of the multiple attempts to slay me, that game. 

I was the Prophet in LG7, the Ironborn who did not protect, the one who stood between the coalition of Villagers and the Skaa we slew. I was the Speaker for Elantris in LG12, the foe of the Jeskeri, the bane of the Gyorn, Wilson's Lover, and Wyrm's Dula brother, connecting two cities sundered by the will of Hreo and Tulir. 

In QF6, I was the Cryptologist, and I came out swinging for Team Stephen as we executed Nightmare Aspect after Nightmare Aspect. We could not speak, so I spoke for them, and connected separate PM groups. Heedless of death, I revealed myself recklessly to Maili and Aonar in order to provide the Village with the one advantage we needed: a language. A code. A way to bridge the distance. Together, Joe and I wreaked havoc and we slaughtered the Evil ones without mercy.

I was Aranmir, who hammered to save the Village. I was Tenth of the Dusk, intrepid trapper, exacting a bloodprice for the death of STINK. I was Duncan Kerr, who sought to die meaningfully, by leaving the Village with whatever help I could give them.

I am Kasimir, brother to Wyrmhero, Philosopher-Analyst of the Inquisition, King's Wit, Good Guy Fain, and the Last Son of House Urbain. I am the Keeper of King's Laws, the Village Renegade, the Loresinger, the Namegiver, the Ironborn, and the Kingkiller. I am one of the last of a dying generation and when I fade into the dark, the names I bear, the memories I carry will go with me.

It is not me you need to ask blessings from, old friend. I am who I am. I am what I am.

Go pray to the gods of luck and chance for your boon.

I will remain.

For my watch has not yet ended. For I am your GM. And I have a job to do. :) 

Edited by Kasimir

Fleur Tieste was visibly confused. He was just in the village to chat up some lads and lasses, maybe fall in love, finally settle down in life? (heh who am I kidding, I've got loads of love to share with the world). 

And now the occupants had decided they want to kill the lead investigator? Hmmm, suppose some of these would be from the killer's party to stunt the investigation. No matter, he liked old Kast, and he wanted to find the killer just as bad. Who'd be in the mood for romance when the whole town is anxious, yeah?

Hmmmm, might as well flex my skills a bit, it's been a while.

"HEY! Ain't no one be killing this old investigator here. We need the killer found quickly. And besides, I quite like him. You could say....he's Kast a spell on me. You touch him, and I'll send you back in a Kast."

Mmmm, a tad rusty. Ain't causing any ladies to swoon with this. Need to finetune these skills...

The story crumbles to dust as the narrator laughs with an old friend. You laugh as well, your heart lighter for the simple joy of interaction. Never before had a Narrator so entertained the shenanigans of the Maskless Wanderers. Fallion's Tears lingers in the mist, but the path disappeared with the end of the Narrator's words. It might have been enjoyable to wander through those streets and drink of the cup from a tavern of metallic corvids, but this masterpiece of a comedy is an adequate substitute. Khas and Wurum banter, and you smile at the game that is both more and less than a game.

Though Khas was not a particularly incredible storyteller, the one known as Kasimir is truly a gifted shaper of words. You hope to one day capture a fragment of his gift, though you know you will never attain it. "Tell us another," you ask, your pleading tone bleeding into longing, into hunger. "Your stories are works of art. Tell us another." You wish to hear more about Fallion's Tears, about Kast Spiers and Wyl Sharpe. Perhaps the curse will be broken. Perhaps the village will fall again. You want to know

"Tell us another," and this time your words have taken on an edge of command, though you have no right to command a First One. You want to know. You must know. "Tell us the story of Fallion's Tears."

This second person piece is definitely worse than the one before, but I wanted to give our Great and Mighty Game Master a road back to the story at hand. Tell us the story of Fallion's Tears, Kasimir, brother to Wyrmhero, Philosopher-Analyst of the Inquisition, King's Wit, Good Guy Fain, Last Son of House Urbain, Keeper of King's Laws, Village Renegade, Loresinger, Namegiver, Ironborn, and Kingkiller. Regale us with your wondrous words of warm wit and wary wills.

11 hours ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

O.O

My attention has been caught.

Marll woke to startling news. Five of his fellow villagers had killed Kast? The investigator? What in the Lord Ruler's name had possessed them to do such a disturbing thing? Of all the people that could help the people of Fallion's Tears to find the murderer in their mist, they chose to kill the most helpful one? At least that Wyl guy was still around, but Marll had never liked him as much as Kast. What kind of storm had been brought to his home? 

1 hour ago, Shard of Reading said:

What is going on here!?!!?!?

This game is going to be fun. :P

Ctrl + A is your best friend ;)

2 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

Marll woke to startling news. Five of his fellow villagers had killed Kast? The investigator? What in the Lord Ruler's name had possessed them to do such a disturbing thing? Of all the people that could help the people of Fallion's Tears to find the murderer in their mist, they chose to kill the most helpful one? At least that Wyl guy was still around, but Marll had never liked him as much as Kast. What kind of storm had been brought to his home? 

I'll let him know :ph34r: You all and white text, I swear...

Noooooo, I had a story all set for Fleur to follow Kast around throughout the investigation and being pesky and annoying, and the more you tried to make it a depressing noir story, the more I'd try to make it a buddy cop comedy. And then you had to go kill him -.-

I guess there's still Wyl remaining. So, where there's a Wyl, there's a way? 

(Or is it pronounced like - he's seems too evil and Wyl for me to buddy up to him?)

7 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

Noooooo, I had a story all set for Fleur to follow Kast around throughout the investigation and being pesky and annoying, and the more you tried to make it a depressing noir story, the more I'd try to make it a buddy cop comedy. And then you had to go kill him -.-

(Or is it pronounced like - he's seems too evil and Wyl for me to buddy up to him?)

Maybe y'all shouldn't have voted on him then, eh. Also, Ctrl + A is your best friend :P

3 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

... I thought that Kast dying was just his story?

This guy gets it :P 

Edited by Kasimir

1 minute ago, TJ Shade said:

That would have been really funny. I'm kind of disappointed I won't be able to see that now. Oh well. Any way the wind blows. (Gong sounds in the background)

1 minute ago, Mailliw73 said:

Kast (the investigator in Fallion’s Tears) died in Khas’s (a previous Rosharan character of Kas’s) story.

While Khas died in the game you first GMed me for, and thus was a character in your story :ph34r: Storyception time!