Mistborn Era 4 question/musing

aneonfoxtribute

I wonder if it will just be focused on Scadrians, or if members of the main cast will be from off world. Like members of the main cast will be from different worlds and have the various different magic systems and they're running around doing stuff. It also ties into a question of if it'll have only.one primary POV like the other Mistborn series or if it'll have a lot of different perspectives a la Stormlight 

The latter.  It's going to feature various forms of World-hopping and cultural interaction.  It's goin to be the "crossover novels" and "Cosmere all-world Mashup", and more or less the finale of the Cosmere itself, being released after we've gotten the Dragonsteel prequel that will explain so much.   

EDIT: on the POV question, Im guessing it will have more Stormlight-like POV's and size, given that it's intended to deliver the finale to the whole Cosmere, and I have to think that would be harder with more restricted POV options.

Renian

When will we see a book that basically revolves around the concept of the Cosmere and the shard-travelers? Basically, a book revolving around people like Hoid who can jump from shard to shard.

Brandon Sanderson

Third Mistborn Trilogy involves a lot of this. I MIGHT do some parallel stories showing more of what Hoid has been up to. He is a primary viewpoint protagonist of Dragonsteel, but that happens before all of the other books.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)

CoffeeArchives

Starting with the Cosmere, and now with Apocalypse Guard, it's clear that you love shared universes. If all of your works were in the same universe, what would be the most fun crossover to write?

Brandon Sanderson

Hmmm... It's probably the cosmere all-world mashup I'm actually planning to do in the future.

/r/fantasy AMA 2017 (Feb. 13, 2017)

John Lee

Will you ever do a crossover novel with different characters/worlds?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I will. The final Mistborn books will have this. There's already some in novellas like Secret History and Sixth of the Dusk.

#SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com (Feb. 4, 2016)

Questioner

Is it still the plan to write Dragonsteel last?

Brandon Sanderson

Next-to-last. Mistborn final Era will be... yeah, Mistborn 4 will be last.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

Edited by Quantus

Just for reference, here's another that mentions that Hoid is a major character in MB4.

The Chaos Geek

Is there a plan for a book focusing on Hoid or will he always remain an enigma?

Brandon Sanderson

The final Mistborn sequence will have him as a main character, as will the Dragonsteel prequel novels.

#SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com (Feb. 4, 2016)

And one more on the general tone we can expect out of MB4

Turambar97

Will there ever be a point in your books where different or all types of investiture clash ?? What I mean will there be a fight between people with different kinds of investiture or will there be a team composed of such people ?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, this will happen.

Look for the future of the cosmere to be about the interaction of ideologies, magics, and settings. It's less about an avengers style team up, and more about the clash between cultures.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 12, 2018)

So yeah, it's a very safe assumption that we'll be bouncing between a number of different viewpoints even if Hoid is one of them and Scadrians get a bit more focus by virtue of it being, well, a Mistborn series.

There are WoBs on the size of the upcoming Mistborn eras

Star Share Gaming

Would you ever consider writing a cyberpunk Era 4 for Mistborn? Or are you gonna be doing just the four Eras?

Brandon Sanderson

I would consider, and I've talked about before liking that idea. Once I did the Wax and Wayne novels, it became a natural thing to ask if there is a step between the 1980s and the science fiction era. And a cyberpunk-type era would make a lot of sense. The caveat to that is I have a lot on my plate in finishing the Cosmere already, and so I can't make any promises. But it does seem like it would be a natural fit to do.

Original Mistborn series was each between 200,000 and 250,000 words. For a frame of reference, Way of Kings books tend to be between 400,000 and 450,000. And the Wax and Wayne books tend to be between 100,000 and 110,000. So, having another 100,000 to 110,000 word, faster-paced shorter series (shorter in total word count) would make a lot of sense. Because Era 3, the 1980s era, is going to go back to the 250,000 to 250,000 word sized books.

YouTube Livestream 3 (Jan. 25, 2020)

But nothing concrete on PoV distribution but given contextual clues from however many WoBs, the impression I got was that it's going to be primarily from a Scadrian viewpoint but other cultures would also get their perspectives, specially Roshar and Sel

Questioner

So, one of the things I know, you have your own universe that you've produced, and it's fantastic. what's the series you're gonna create or have created that's the cornerstone, that will have the largest impact on the universe.

Brandon Sanderson

I would say Mistborn going all the way through is probably the most impact. Stormlight is gonna have a decent one, so is the Elantris world.

Questioner

Is there gonna be a union book or series?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, the final Mistborn series.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 8:47 PM, Shadesmar13 said:

Hold on. does that mean the cosmere is going to just......... END?!?!??! That makes me so sad :( 

The cosmere should just go on forever. 

It'll be years before it ends, decades. It'll be sad but it will be complete, and that's something to look forward to.

Wait, do you mean the Cosmere-verse? No, the saga will end, the Cosmere seems unlikely to be destroyed at the end of the franchise.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Wait, do you mean the Cosmere-verse? No, the saga will end, the Cosmere seems unlikely to be destroyed at the end of the franchise.

Well, wouldn't a reassembly of Adonalsium mean exactly that to a very large degree? All Shards gone, all Seons gone, the Skaze, too. The Dor gone. The Stormfather again only a storm.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, wouldn't a reassembly of Adonalsium mean exactly that to a very large degree? All Shards gone, all Seons gone, the Skaze, too. The Dor gone. The Stormfather again only a storm.

Um, no.

No it would not do that.

8 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

well, get together a group of authors after Brandons death give them his notes and outline then build on the cosmere.

No this is horrible

The Cosmere is a world that will keep on going whether Brandon writes it or not

Whether we know what’s going on is up to Brandon

Any other Author would feel fake and not as real

5 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

No this is horrible

The Cosmere is a world that will keep on going whether Brandon writes it or not

Whether we know what’s going on is up to Brandon

Any other Author would feel fake and not as real

true, I dont know but, what about wheel of time? Brandon was a lifelong fan of that so he knew the style and wrote it. I have not read so I dont know how well It fits, but say after BS dies we continue writing it.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Seeing how Brandon described the Shattering as meaning everything and nothing to Investiture, I don't think that if Adonalsium were recreated in some way it would necessarily be the end of the Cosmere as we know it.

Also, I should point out that we have no evidence that such a thing is actually going to happen...

2 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

true, I dont know but, what about wheel of time? Brandon was a lifelong fan of that so he knew the style and wrote it. I have not read so I dont know how well It fits, but say after BS dies we continue writing it.

Wheel of time was incredibly changed by Brandon’s writing style, I would not appreciate that if I actually liked Jordan’s style

I like Brandon’s style

If he does die on like the last book of a series I could see someone finishing that book only 

But it still wouldn’t be as good 

43 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Wheel of time was incredibly changed by Brandon’s writing style, I would not appreciate that if I actually liked Jordan’s style

I like Brandon’s style

If he does die on like the last book of a series I could see someone finishing that book only 

But it still wouldn’t be as good 

true, but say, me for instance does that and no-one is satisfied, will it remain unfinished and not canon just the one book, or would The Whole series be kicked out of canon like the sequel trilogy of starwars?

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

true, but say, me for instance does that and no-one is satisfied, will it remain unfinished and not canon just the one book, or would The Whole series be kicked out of canon like the sequel trilogy of starwars?

It depends

If Dragonsteel approached you and ask you to finish the series using Brandon’s notes then the outline of the book will obviously be canon with the style just completely off

If it doesn’t use Brandon’s notes no matter what you do it’s not canon 

Kinda like the sequel trilogy of Star Wars ya

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

No? That would be the Cosmere, as we know it, being gone, not destroyed

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

No? That would be the Cosmere, as we know it, being gone, not destroyed

Just because Adonalisium is reformed does not mean he is going to recall all his Investiture 

The Dor would be gone an probably all Perpendicularity, but I think spren sand seons, along with the Magic systems, would persist

18 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Just because Adonalisium is reformed does not mean he is going to recall all his Investiture 

The Dor would be gone an probably all Perpendicularity, but I think spren sand seons, along with the Magic systems, would persist

Not the way I meant the phrase "the Cosmere, as we know it, being gone" actually. I meant significantly changed. Given what we know of Adonalsium, I do agree with what you think might happen.