Mid-Range Game 44: Obligations

Straw

8 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Sart took the words out of my mouth. Gears.

Did you not see the post where I celebrated being an elim? Let me do it in RP to properly drill it into your skull.

Malcolm was bored. Though he'd been really looking forward to becoming an Obligator, he couldn't get spiked until he killed all the skaa. So dull. He'd signed up for this thing to get away from all that doldrum. Maybe he could break up the monotony by loudly proclaiming himself to be a skaa. Yeah, that sounded fun. He stood up, dragged over a chair, and stood on that to get the elevation he needed to be seen by all.

"Attention fellow firsties! I am a skaa. You may be surprised by my bold claim, but I know something you don't. Firstly, killing a non-skaa will upset the higher-ups since it will eliminate a potential Obligator. Secondly, there are more skaa than myself, and if you kill me, I won't be able to tell you the names of my compatriots. Thirdly, I'm bored and probably lying to you because incentivising your own murder is always fun. Fourthly, I bet you couldn't kill me if you tried. Fifthly, if you kill me, I'll take a good number of you down with me. Sixthly, all of you are plebs. Seventhly, we shall destroy you eventually, so why not now? Eightly, viva la revolution!" He tossed a smokebomb into the surrounding group, hopped off his chair, and disappeared into the crowd

3 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Ouch my Skull. Gears.

You do already have a vote on me, Joe. Is this just emphasis or are you genuinely voting twice on me? If the latter, I greatly appreciate your efforts and offer you a celebratory cookie that may or may not be spiked, three knives to the back, and my grandmother's knitting needles. However, I do not believe this is allowed. If your skull truly pains you, you can express your frustrations in a healthier way, like murdering skaa and bringing down civilisations. You don't need to vote twice. Honestly, the audacity involved in voting twice. Imagine the horror!

Also, my vocal complaints have been occurring for several games, dead docs, and other mediums that I do not remember. I do not recall this being an object of consideration. If you wish to slaughter me, I give my full and enthusiastic consent. Let's mess up the timeline even more! My previous RP character died twice, and this one is dating one of my Alleyverse characters in the modern era. A tradition, as it were, of completely complicating the chronology. Hopefully I can singlehandedly get the dead doc to exorbitantly long, though considering school starts on the 17th, maybe I won't be able to. 

As the accusations laid against me are not things I can alter, I shall instead speak of random things for a paragraph to pad out my post. I am an Allomancer of great power and responsibility. This may or may not be just a reference. Given that I received suspicion in a previous game for wanting to claim elim and I've received suspicion for claiming villager, I do think I shall simply claim elim in future games to avoid this conundrum. Keep that in mind, general populace. I do not wish to explain myself yet again. The light at the end of the tunnel is an approaching train. You are on the tracks. Fear not. [Be afraid]

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

...Didn't think about that at all. Said it partly out of the annoyance when I realized I couldn't get any vials of metal :P 

But actually, that's all a lie! I actually am a coinshot!

Edit: Hey, Vapor! @Vapor Come join the party!

Hello, all! I am here, and. . . I'm not sure what to do. Not that much has happened. So... Gears, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Vapor said:

Hello, all! I am here, and. . . I'm not sure what to do. Not that much has happened. So... Gears, I guess.

Wonderful! I've never been lynched C1 before! I support this decision wholeheartedly, though post-mortem I recommend examining Joe [jumped on Sart's explanation without mentioning anything], Vapor [did what Joe did], and Sart [though a little less since he's right] though I don't have any strong suspicions either way. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some questions to ask the GM in the privacy of my GM PM.

14 minutes ago, Vapor said:

...I was gonna remove it, since you posted, but... while there is reasoning behind Sart's vote imo not enough to warrent Vapor's. Or even Joe's, tbh. So it'll stay for now.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

2 hours ago, Gears said:

Wonderful! I've never been lynched C1 before! I support this decision wholeheartedly, though post-mortem I recommend examining Joe [jumped on Sart's explanation without mentioning anything], Vapor [did what Joe did], and Sart [though a little less since he's right] though I don't have any strong suspicions either way. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some questions to ask the GM in the privacy of my GM PM.

Having been lynched D1 several times before, I can tell you that it isn’t all it’s hyped up to be. Also, why should anyone need more reasoning to vote on someone than the fact that said person claimed elim? On a side note, I’m pretty sure that claiming elim (regardless of alignment) is pretty unhelpful to (or at the very best, useless for) your team. 

40 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Having been lynched D1 several times before, I can tell you that it isn’t all it’s hyped up to be. Also, why should anyone need more reasoning to vote on someone than the fact that said person claimed elim? On a side note, I’m pretty sure that claiming elim (regardless of alignment) is pretty unhelpful to (or at the very best, useless for) your team. 

You do understand that I'm joking, yes? If I'm going to be lynched C1, I'd rather have an interesting demise with appropriate RP that I'll be writing up later. C1 lynches are going to have shoddy reasoning, so I was probably going to get lynched anyways. 

Okay, well, I forgot to turn notifications on for this.

I feel like it would be way too risky a move for gears to claim Elim if they actually are an Elim, but I know they've talked about this weird strategy before, so...Idk. 

Claiming to have no vials either seems to me like you actually have vials and just don't want the elims to kill you, that you actually have nothing and...said it...for...some reason, or that maybe you're an elim trying to throw suspicion off of why you won't be dying at night. er- the last one might be a bit of a leap, and if you were elim...pretty...unnecessary..., but it's not like I have much to go on...right now...

I'm not sure how I feel about the gears thing, and even though my heart wants to lynch Araris, I think I'm going to vote on Matrim

1 hour ago, Illwei said:

Claiming to have no vials either seems to me like you actually have vials and just don't want the elims to kill you, that you actually have nothing and...said it...for...some reason, or that maybe you're an elim trying to throw suspicion off of why you won't be dying at night. er- the last one might be a bit of a leap, and if you were elim...pretty...unnecessary..., but it's not like I have much to go on...right now...

I'm not sure how I feel about the gears thing, and even though my heart wants to lynch Araris, I think I'm going to vote on Matrim

Fantastic.

Eh, I'm not completely sure what made me claim. As Araris has pointed out, I didn't think through the pros and cons all that well- but I was slightly miffed at receiving a useless role. (Hello, Straw :P) Wish I had thought anything through about it, such as you suggested, that would be clever on my part... but I didn't. Like at all :P.

No, I won't tell you what it is :P Can't let the elims know what abilities the village might not have!

2 hours ago, Gears said:

You do understand that I'm joking, yes? If I'm going to be lynched C1, I'd rather have an interesting demise with appropriate RP that I'll be writing up later. C1 lynches are going to have shoddy reasoning, so I was probably going to get lynched anyways. 

Hmm, not sure what you were joking about. It sort of looks like you were serious about getting yourself lynched D1. And I would say in general, before posting anything, your probably had a roughly 1/13 chance of getting lynched.

10 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Guess we need to get some votes down. Let’s lynch Elkanah.

What!?

That escalated quickly :P

Well I guess I can't argue with that logic! Elkanah, Defend yourself!

10 hours ago, Gears said:

Alas, my village streak continues.

I'm sorry to hear that. Does anyone know who holds the record (current games excluded)?

8 hours ago, Gears said:

I am an elim. Huzzah, praise Harmony. I am a low-down skaa-blooded individual with no right to be entering the Steel Ministry. I shall kill you all one by one in the night and there is nothing you can do about it since the roleblock and the redirect don't affect the kill. *evil laughter* Strike me down and another shall take my place. This world is nothing but pain under the Lord Ruler's rule, and you Obligators reinforce his rule. We'll bring you down, then we'll bring him down. It's only a matter of time. Fear me and my ilk, but know that we are the ones who will bring down the whole regime.

I knew it!!! I'd vote for you, but I'm still waiting for @Elkanah to post. 

8 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

So... I'll just throw it out that I'm completely vanilla. I received 0 vials of metal :P. 

7 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

If that's true, it's not helpful. Claiming vanilla means that the elims have an easier time picking out players with roles.

Therein lies the feindish cunning ;)

I think Gears pretty well summed up the roles for the game so once we hear from Elkanah I'll do a super deep read of the first day and get back to you on someone else to kill lynch poke destroy end vote.

We're just waiting on Stink, Sorana and Xino now.

11 hours ago, Elandera said:

Hello. I'd offer a flourishing bow, but I'm afraid I'd break something or someone. Myself included. I am incredibly sleep deprived at the moment, so nonsensical things will be expected for at least a day or two. Sorry. But I am here. Sort of.

You should definitely post while sleep deprived, it makes for the best posts.

5 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

We're just waiting on Stink, Sorana and Xino now.

Hello. ^_^ Wasn't home until something like an hour ago, spend the last four days at a friend's place. I also forgot to think about some kind of character, but I'll see if I something comes to my mind today.

Just read through the thread and so far it strikes me as rather usual C1 banter (at least based on the games I played in other forums and those I read here), so I'll wait with voting on anybody a bit, until there is a little more content.

I believe the error in communication is my strange, esoteric sense of humour. I do not know about the general populace's thoughts on claiming elim, but to me, it is hilarious and most definitely not to be taken seriously. Do you not see the hilarity inherent in watching players dance around your antics? Of bantering with the people around you who may or may not be trying to kill you? I suppose you don't, but trust me when I say that I find this quite funny.

I analysed this in QF46, but I shall repeat my reasoning again.

If I am a villager and you believe me: I get lynched, like now. I get to laugh from the dead doc, and your reactions will be hilarious. 

If I am elim and you believe me: Well, the gambit failed and I'll get lynched. I'll laugh from the dead doc because catching an elim D1 makes it more difficult, statistically.

If I am villager and you don't believe me: I don't get lynched and continue about my day as if it had never happened.

If I am an elim and you don't believe me: I don't get lynched and I'm written off slightly as no one would claim elim when they are an elim.

This works best with repeated successive village games since people would be tired of lynching a person only for them to be village. Considering my continuous village streak, perhaps this will be successful. However, I may or may not continue this. I just saw an opportunity to test out my ploy [suspicion levels higher than norm, no one else up for the lynch] and took it. Obviously, I am taken far too seriously for it to work. Is it my formal manner of speaking? Is it my proper grammar? Should I channel my inherent little wilson? 

5 minutes ago, Gears said:

Honestly, the longer you talk about your reasoning and try to defend yourself the more suspicious you are in my eyes. If you really simply wanted to try out your ploy, then you spend a lot of time arguing around it, instead of simply living with the results. The whole ploy parts becomes useless the longer and the more you try to explain it.

(And yes, I know that there are no thousand other topics around, but still.)

I have gotten a little more sleep, but am still definitely tired. 

Regarding Gears, the lynch is meh. It's as good as any reason for a D1 lynch, but I also don't really like the idea of lynching just because their playstyle is slightly different. Also, the bandwagon vote from Vapor is mildly concerning.

Votes:

Elkanah (2) - Araris, Elkanah
Gears (3) - Sart, Joe, Vapor
Vapor (2) - Matrim, Elandera
Matrim (1) - Illwei

That's as much brain as will work this early in the morning. Don't forget actions. 

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

Honestly, the longer you talk about your reasoning and try to defend yourself the more suspicious you are in my eyes. If you really simply wanted to try out your ploy, then you spend a lot of time arguing around it, instead of simply living with the results. The whole ploy parts becomes useless the longer and the more you try to explain it.

I would tend to agree with this. But also I would say that I find this whole thing from Gears entirely NAI, in my opinion, and definitely agree on the 'meh' aspect. 

45 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Don't forget actions.

What actions?! You guys have actions?! :P 

@xinoehp512, @STINK, come join!

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

Affirmative. Vapor. You are leaping upon the reasoning of others. While this is quite possible shoddy reasoning from both of us, it is C1. There isn't much we can figure out, and not dying C1, while less funny, does seem fun. Ties result in no death, and while I wouldn't like there to be no lynch [complete waste of cycle, elims get a kill], it is early yet.

22 hours ago, Gears said:

Alas, my village streak continues. And you all know the rest that follows this I don't have to quote all of it just go back one page guys cmon

Yeah I'd do what the rest did to you for something like that. Just the village complain? Fair enough, it happens sometimes and u wanna say it. But the followup about what metals do what yada yada yada is always kinda boring and everyone does it for some cred when they just don't need to so I always put sus on that as well and that means u did two sus/meh things in one post for the first which honestly congrats on that one tbh.

3 hours ago, Gears said:

I believe the error in communication is my strange, esoteric sense of humour. 

----------------------------------------------------

If I am a villager and you believe me: I get lynched, like now. I get to laugh from the dead doc, and your reactions will be hilarious. 

If I am elim and you believe me: Well, the gambit failed and I'll get lynched. I'll laugh from the dead doc because catching an elim D1 makes it more difficult, statistically.

If I am villager and you don't believe me: I don't get lynched and continue about my day as if it had never happened.

If I am an elim and you don't believe me: I don't get lynched and I'm written off slightly as no one would claim elim when they are an elim.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, I am taken far too seriously for it to work. Is it my formal manner of speaking? Is it my proper grammar? Should I channel my inherent little wilson? 

1. Having a weird sense of humour isn't something that most people should be voting on? Idk, I've gotten away with plenty of stuff before and no-one's like "damnation that STINK guy sure is weird maybe we should do something about it" before I get to them :P 

2. This analysis is so weird to me like, huh? Basically all of those 'results' are good for the village long-term, so it's really not doing you any favours. Like I kinda get what you're going for here, since I've done stuff that killed me before like saying to the vig trying to stay secret that he was the vig and surprisingly got killed for that one like how on earth did I not see that coming. But if you wanna be in the dead doc laughing at the rest of the game? Sure, Gears.

3. Yeah the secret to not being taken seriously is u never use any grammar whatsoever and shorten some words every now and again and people are totally fine with doing whatever u feel like for sure my guy.

-----------------------------------

TL;DR for something not that long above is that yeah I'm on the Gears train tbh.

Anyway I'm here now sorry guys didn't realise the game had already started I'm kinda just used to signing up and then checking a few days later at least since I usually sign up early but realised that was not happening in this case and I'm here now and haven't missed much? Looks like Gears kinda singlehandedly took up the discourse for the day so far so yeah and a wee little tidbit about not getting vials and a vanilla claim? Like vanilla is a good flavour but yeah not a good idea as someone already said. Anyways, I'll keep checking on this thread but I got dinner now so everyone have a good evening and see you in a bit.

1 minute ago, STINK said:

2. This analysis is so weird to me like, huh? Basically all of those 'results' are good for the village long-term, so it's really not doing you any favours. Like I kinda get what you're going for here, since I've done stuff that killed me before like saying to the vig trying to stay secret that he was the vig and surprisingly got killed for that one like how on earth did I not see that coming. But if you wanna be in the dead doc laughing at the rest of the game? Sure, Gears.

All of the outcomes are good for me, not necessarily the village. Getting lynched as a villager allows me to laugh at the odd thinking of the general populace. Getting lynched as an elim will make it more difficult for the village since statistically, when an elim is caught D1, it's harder for the village. Not getting lynched is strictly beneficial for me, and in the villager scenario that also helps the village. 

My death is now guaranteed. It seems that the strategy of claiming elim is suboptimal. Repeated iterations might help. Experimentation necessary. This strategy usually works in live games, but the utility function needs adjustment since the time scale until a new game is much higher.

Post-mortem, inspect those who have voted on me without reasoning [so not Sart]. There's really not much to look at. Have fun. School starts soon, so my engagement levels would have dropped anyways. Farewell, compatriots. Know that the shattered timeline is your responsibility. I would recommend duct tape and a few quilts. 

Just now, Gears said:

My death is now guaranteed. It seems that the strategy of claiming elim is suboptimal. Repeated iterations might help. Experimentation necessary. This strategy usually works in live games, but the utility function needs adjustment since the time scale until a new game is much higher.

Well the cycle is only half over, and currently you're tied, not out way ahead. So I wouldn't say that at all.

In my opinion chaotic players make it harder for the rest of the village- it just causes confusion. The only thing it might serve is I guess you having fun (that's kinda a good point though) and setting it up so that people might write it off as just your playstyle in further games when you really are an Elim.

I slightly distrust Elandera right now, but that's just because I have a general distrust of people who post vote counts unprompted.