It is with a heavy heart that I must say that, in my esteemed opinion, essays are indeed quite stupid. Allow me to explain.

First and foremost, essays are a time-consuming and tedious endeavor. The process of brainstorming, outlining, researching, writing, and revising can take hours, if not days, to complete. And for what purpose? To merely regurgitate information that can easily be found in a textbook or online? It seems like a rather pointless exercise. Furthermore, essays often fail to adequately assess a student's true understanding of a subject. The ability to craft a well-written essay does not necessarily equate to a thorough understanding of the material. In fact, it is entirely possible for a student to produce a beautifully written essay without actually comprehending the concepts being discussed.

In conclusion, while essays may serve a purpose in certain contexts, it is my belief that they are ultimately a foolish and inefficient way to evaluate a student's knowledge and understanding. There must be better, more effective methods of assessment.

1 hour ago, Shining Silhouette said:

It is with a heavy heart that I must say that, in my esteemed opinion, essays are indeed quite stupid. Allow me to explain.

First and foremost, essays are a time-consuming and tedious endeavor. The process of brainstorming, outlining, researching, writing, and revising can take hours, if not days, to complete. And for what purpose? To merely regurgitate information that can easily be found in a textbook or online? It seems like a rather pointless exercise. Furthermore, essays often fail to adequately assess a student's true understanding of a subject. The ability to craft a well-written essay does not necessarily equate to a thorough understanding of the material. In fact, it is entirely possible for a student to produce a beautifully written essay without actually comprehending the concepts being discussed.

In conclusion, while essays may serve a purpose in certain contexts, it is my belief that they are ultimately a foolish and inefficient way to evaluate a student's knowledge and understanding. There must be better, more effective methods of assessment.

This is indeed true, good sir. And I agree wholeheartedly to your statements. Essays are created to ensure that we waste as much time in exams, and cause our hands to ache as we write three four-to-five page essays in three hours.

Although, Language Analysis Essays are fun, because you can study how an author uses certain devices, then put it into your own work! Or, well, I'm insane. But that's fine!!

3 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

CHASMS this is SO CORRECT

WOW 

Isn’t it a pity? 

Isn’t it a crime?

5 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

I would argue that an essay does display a level of comprehension if it is administered correctly and if the requirements are correct. My English teacher has a strict policy in regards to what you can and can't include in an essay about literature. Plot summary, which just means anything that directly states facts from the book, is forbidden. You must instead provide your own unique analysis that supports your own specific, beyond-the-text claim.

If it's an informative essay, then it's about compiling readily available information from multiple sources into a small, comprehensive package that makes the topic easier to understand than it would be by just trying to look it up. Even so, it's probably fair to say that research papers are approaching busywork.

Personally, I think it depends. Essays are by no means always pointless. They are a tool for instruction that is often mishandled.

I love the irony about writing an essay about why essays are stupid.

So I wrote a poem instead

Essays are stupid, it's true,

They're a waste of time, through and through.

Why do we have to write them, I ask, When there are so many other tasks?

The tedious research and endless citations,

The convoluted structure and awkward transitions.

Who decided this was a good way to learn,

When it's clear it just makes our brains burn?

But alas, we must soldier on,

For grades and degrees are what we're on.

So we'll sit at our desks, pen in hand,

Hoping this essay will not be so grand.

But let's be real, essays are a drag,

A tedious chore that's just a fad.

So let's revolt and say no more,

To these stupid papers that make us a bore.

Edited by Shining Silhouette
formatting

8 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

*places hand over heart* *sniffles* *salutes*

23 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Question 1: Was this a short essay about why essays are useless? Are you fighting fire with fire?

Question 2: What if the paper you're writing details your own findings? So while you're citing information from other sources, you're also taking information you've gathered yourself (sometimes literally, like, out in the field pointing a machine at the sky literally) and presenting your own personal conclusion, unbased in anything anyone else told you to write?

54 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Question 1: Was this a short essay about why essays are useless? Are you fighting fire with fire?

Question 2: What if the paper you're writing details your own findings? So while you're citing information from other sources, you're also taking information you've gathered yourself (sometimes literally, like, out in the field pointing a machine at the sky literally) and presenting your own personal conclusion, unbased in anything anyone else told you to write?

Essays are useless, it's plain to see,

They're a waste of time, that's what we agree.

They're tedious and boring, a chore we detest,

A necessary evil, one we protest.

We have to sit at our desks, night and day,

Writing and researching, in a dreary way.

We have to sift through endless citations,

Searching for the perfect words and quotations.

But even if we're presenting our own findings,

It doesn't make these papers any more binding.

We're still just regurgitating information,

Not truly contributing to the conversation.

Essays are a burden, a weight on our shoulders,

A requirement that makes us feel much older.

They drain our energy and sap our will,

Leaving us exhausted and feeling ill.

Essays are useless, a waste of our time,

A tedious task that we'll never shine.

So let's find a new way, a path more true,

One that doesn't make us feel blue.

27 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Essays are useless, it's plain to see,

They're a waste of time, that's what we agree.

They're tedious and boring, a chore we detest,

A necessary evil, one we protest.

We have to sit at our desks, night and day,

Writing and researching, in a dreary way.

We have to sift through endless citations,

Searching for the perfect words and quotations.

But even if we're presenting our own findings,

It doesn't make these papers any more binding.

We're still just regurgitating information,

Not truly contributing to the conversation.

Essays are a burden, a weight on our shoulders,

A requirement that makes us feel much older.

They drain our energy and sap our will,

Leaving us exhausted and feeling ill.

Essays are useless, a waste of our time,

A tedious task that we'll never shine.

So let's find a new way, a path more true,

One that doesn't make us feel blue.

But what is it has your own findings and presents an analysis and a connection to an overall claim?

Edited by Ookla the Inverted

3 hours ago, Ookla the catastrophizer said:

Me:ph34r:

I don’t have a crush on Zendaya but I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree that she is hot. 

I was rereading the thread for amusement and I couldn’t not upvote this.

LEZ GO BESTIIEEEE

I too do not have a crush on her (that would be weird, considering i do not know her personally) but yeah she's really hot and also kinda the best. I'd say she's my celebrity crush (which is NOT a real crush).

13 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

LEZ GO BESTIIEEEE

I too do not have a crush on her (that would be weird, considering i do not know her personally) but yeah she's really hot and also kinda the best. I'd say she's my celebrity crush (which is NOT a real crush).

Amen. I agree with all of this:D.

AYYYY BESTIE!!! Can u be my Shardbuddy?

Edited by Ookla the catastrophizer

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 7:48 AM, Shining Silhouette said:

I wrote a poem in school last year about how poems were dumb. Or rhyming was dumb or something. It was interesting.