The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

12 minutes ago, UltimateArchivist said:

Fukuoka Japan! I am extraordinarily blessed!

I appreciate that! Having read dozens of your additions to this website, know I feel much the same towards you.

Never read Downton Abbey, though. Sorry. I'm more of a Jane Austen fan.

Japan is great! A friend of mine lives in Japan, idk what area tho.

Fair, fair. I still need to read Pride and Prejudice 

3 hours ago, UltimateArchivist said:

Fukuoka Japan! I am extraordinarily blessed!

Cool! My neighbors are on a mission in Japan right now. It's their fourth mission.

Man, it would be so cool to go to Japan.

I'm in the process of doing my papers right now, and I'll probably leave on my mission in September-December, depending on how long it takes for me to finish those, and get my call.

On 5/8/2024 at 11:01 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

Man, it would be so cool to go to Japan.

I'm in the process of doing my papers right now, and I'll probably leave on my mission in September-December, depending on how long it takes for me to finish those, and get my call.

Where do you want to go? I got my call like a month and a half ago to El Salvador and it’s gotten me excited. 

I just finished a book called Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle (the author of A Wrinkle In Time) and loved it, I highly recommend it. It talks about being a christian artist and creating with God. It might not hit as hard to people who don't also love writing, but it was perfect for me.

16 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

whose gonna tell him?

Since it’s basically the slur for members I think that means I get to say it and it’s ok and chill and cool but also fine

EDIT: oh also /jk

Edited by Cataclysm

7 minutes ago, Cataclysm said:

Since it’s basically the slur for members I think that means I get to say it and it’s ok and chill and cool but also fine

Maybe... but it's also good to be respectful of the Church, it's standards, and what the prophet guides us to say about it.

And if we don't want non-members using it, we should try and set and example by not using it ourselves, y'know?

Sorry if this feels a little condescending; it's not meant to be. That's just what I think.

9 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Maybe... but it's also good to be respectful of the Church, it's standards, and what the prophet guides us to say about it.

And if we don't want non-members using it, we should try and set and example by not using it ourselves, y'know?

Sorry if this feels a little condescending; it's not meant to be. That's just what I think.

Don’t worry, I don’t take it condescending-ally(???)

and… I understand the argument of not using it if we don’t want them to, but it’s not like they know us as anything else. In order to be somewhat relatable to anyone around me I introduce myself as being a member of the…etc. etc. with the subtitle of “Mormon”. As my relationship with the person grows and religion (as it is one of the most important aspects of my life, like it should be)inevitably gets brought up I use the correct terminology for the church.

As much as I wish I could, I can’t snap my fingers and instill that knowledge into the public.

Once again, I don’t mean to take this combatively, and I trust you don’t either.

EDIT: oh and I dont know where you live,but where I am if you’ve heard of the church, you know it by Mormonism

Edited by Cataclysm

10 minutes ago, Cataclysm said:

and… I understand the argument of not using it if we don’t want them to, but it’s not like they know us as anything else. In order to be somewhat relatable to anyone around me I introduce myself as being a member of the…etc. etc. with the subtitle of “Mormon”. As my relationship with the person grows and religion (as it is one of the most important aspects of my life, like it should be)inevitably gets brought up I use the correct terminology for the church.

As much as I wish I could, I can’t snap my fingers and instill that knowledge into the public.

Once again, I don’t mean to take this combatively, and I trust you don’t either.

EDIT: oh and I dont know where you live,but where I am if you’ve heard of the church, you know it by Mormonism

And therein lies the problem. We want them to know us as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, not as Mormonism, and us as members of the church, not as Mormons. That's what we're trying to change by not calling ourselves mormons.

1 minute ago, Immortal Platypus said:

And therein lies the problem. We want them to know us as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, not as Mormonism, and us as members of the church, not as Mormons. That's what we're trying to change by not calling ourselves mormons.

And I introduce myself as both, so they know what I am. Then I use the correct name of the church with them, after we’ve already established that they are the same. I let them know that we aren’t called Mormons. 

Just now, Cataclysm said:

And I introduce myself as both, so they know what I am. Then I use the correct name of the church with them, after we’ve already established that they are the same. I let them know that we aren’t called Mormons. 

I would probably introduce using just the name of the church, then if they ask what it is, let them know they know it as Mormonism, but that that's not what it's called. You might be surprised at how many people would recognize it, even without the title of "Mormon"

17 minutes ago, Cataclysm said:

Don’t worry, I don’t take it condescending-ally(???)

Actually, I've lived all over the place throughout my live, so I have heard that quite often. To me, it still seems best to introduce us by what we want to be called, and clear up any confusion if they ask or seem confused. (granted, i'm in utah now so i haven't had to do that in a while 😂)

1 minute ago, Cataclysm said:

That's interesting. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. That seems similar to what I used to do, just the other way around.

Just now, Immortal Platypus said:

I would probably introduce using just the name of the church, then if they ask what it is, let them know they know it as Mormonism, but that that's not what it's called. You might be surprised at how many people would recognize it, even without the title of "Mormon"

Respectfully, I don’t think we should be arguing about this.

I have yet to meet a non-member who recognizes the name of the church. You are right that many people do know the name. But, where I live, in the southern United States, it would be hard to find someone who does.

I also think we’re saying the exact same thing. The only difference being that when I mention the church there’s some form of a semicolon.

I don’t mean to cause any form of drama so early into my shardhood. Thank you all for your kind welcomes so far.

47 minutes ago, Cataclysm said:

I have yet to meet a non-member who recognizes the name of the church. You are right that many people do know the name. But, where I live, in the southern United States, it would be hard to find someone who does.

I also think we’re saying the exact same thing. The only difference being that when I mention the church there’s some form of a semicolon.

I don’t mean to cause any form of drama so early into my shardhood. Thank you all for your kind welcomes so far.

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

whose gonna tell him?

Wow that escalated quickly.

I like the Book of Mormon and Jesus.

Can we agree on that?

Everyone?

2 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Can we agree on that?

Everyone?

Yes! Let's not argue about the name. WE're all in the same church, we all beleive in Christ and the Book of Mormon (presumably, I don't judge). Let's do what President Nelson asked in one of the last conferences and try to be peacemakers.

*physically shoves myself away from joining the argument*

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Yes! Let's not argue about the name. WE're all in the same church, we all beleive in Christ and the Book of Mormon (presumably, I don't judge). Let's do what President Nelson asked in one of the last conferences and try to be peacemakers.

*physically shoves myself away from joining the argument*

👏

2 hours ago, Cataclysm said:

Fair enough. 😁

1 hour ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Can we agree on that?

Everyone?

Yes! JESUS and the BoM! Sounds good!