The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

12 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

One that I keep coming back to is 2 Nephi 9: 28-29.  It's an important reminder to be humble, particularly in our day when we always hear people say that the Gospel and its principles can and must be discarded as outdated nonsense, and that we have a far better understanding today with all our science and technology.  Because inevitably, if you wait long enough, you always see these "new and improved" ideas collapse and cause great suffering.  Well, those of us who paid attention to the Gospel, and anchored our souls to the Lord (Hebrews 6: 19) to not continue to be "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine" (Ephesians 4: 14) ended up avoiding all that suffering.

I'll always remember, in the early 2000s, my stepfather's employer offered a new plan to invest their retirement savings in the stock market to help it grow more quickly.  Everyone thought this was awesome and jumped on board... except for him.  He thought back to President Hinckley's advice to get your houses in order and be cautious in temporal and financial matters, and he turned down the opportunity.  He missed out on a few rip-roaring years in the stock market, but he also missed out on the 2008 crash that wiped out his coworkers' gains.  In the end, the only one to profit was the one who listened to the Prophet!

I really love this story because it took a few years for him to finally see the benefits. Yesterday, I chose to go to sacrament meeting instead of taking a once in a lifetime opportunity, and all the people who did have been saying how amazing it was nonstop. But following God and the prophets is always the right choice, even if it takes years or a lifetime of watching others flourish before you see it. Thanks for sharing.

I got my mission call today 👀 

Brazil Curitiba South Mission, Portuguese speaking! Reporting to the Brazil MTC on July 31.

Incredibly excited and grateful 😁

4 minutes ago, Mat said:

Brazil Curitiba South Mission, Portuguese speaking! Reporting to the Brazil MTC on July 31.

Yoooooo congrats! That sounds awesome. You'll do great in Brazil. Portuguese is a fun language from what I've seen.

12 minutes ago, Mat said:

Awesome! Congratulations and good luck, you’ll do great!

14 minutes ago, Mat said:

Congratulations

11 hours ago, Mat said:

Huzzah and congrats! 

12 hours ago, Mat said:

Yo, that's so cool! Congrats!

My Seminary teacher went to Brazil for his mission and also learned Portuguese! He tried to teach us a happy birthday song in Portuguese a few times. It didn't go so well. 😆

Edited by Through The Living Glass

On 3/19/2024 at 6:57 PM, Mat said:

Wait that’s so funny, one of my friend’s older brothers just got called to Brazil!

…you don’t happen to have a twin, do you?

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

Wait that’s so funny, one of my friend’s older brothers just got called to Brazil!

…you don’t happen to have a twin, do you?

Nope! So unless you’re my 11 year old brother’s friend… :P 

Also— thanks everyone! Muito amor! 🇧🇷 :D.

Edited by Mat

I hope y'all have had the opportunity to read this already. It's so beautiful.

"Today we celebrate the gift of victory over every fall we have ever experienced, every sorrow we have ever known, every discouragement we have ever had, every fear we have ever faced — to say nothing of our resurrection from death and forgiveness for our sins. That victory is available to us because of events that transpired on a weekend precisely like this nearly two millennia ago in Jerusalem." ~ Elder Jeffery R. Holland, April 2015 General Conference

So I tried something:

I'm not sure how well it worked but I found a bunch of Elvish names and I saw some that meant things like "Carpenter" and "Forgiver" and I was like "This could totally describe Jesus" so I made a bunch of the names into a Jesus poem. 

In Elvish. 

Again, I'm not sure how well it worked but here it is:

Spoiler

Þamno, Þamnion 

Mámandil, Minion

Nildo

Laitar, Ilvanion

Firila, Eruion

Apsenido

Airo, Rehtaro

Cemencalma, Melehto

Turundo

(Translation) Carpenter, Son of a Carpenter

Lover/Friend of Sheep, First Son

Friend

Blesser/Praiser, Son of Perfect One

Dying, Son of God

Forgiver

Holy One, Rescuer/Saver

Earthlight, Mighty One

Conqueror/Master

2 minutes ago, Experience said:

The first session was awesome!

It felt like almost all of them were talking about the importance of covenants and our connection to God.

I agree I loved it so much there were some very amazing talks

39 minutes ago, Experience said:

It felt like almost all of them were talking about the importance of covenants and our connection to God.

I did see that

Also, a lot about prayer

Hey guys, I'm not going to be able to watch the next two sessions of conference today, as I got stuck with a shift at work.

If there are any talks or messages that stood out to you, I would love to hear about them. 

24 minutes ago, InfiniteInsanity said:

My mother sent me this.

Hide contents

unnamed.jpg.5233f35985495b21600302b2b3e92942.jpg

That is beautiful

4 hours ago, Experience said:

I agree I loved it so much there were some very amazing talks