Introducing The Stormlight Archive to My Wife, or: A Hilarious Series of Names

Goatbringer

3 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

TAY: Third Ideal? Hasn’t he just said one?
ME: No, he’s said two – remember “I will protect those who cannot protect themselves” is the second Ideal for the Windrunners. The First Ideal is the same for all Radiants – “Life before death. Strength before weakness-
TAY: “Crem before cremlings.” Yep. Got it.

Now we know the first oath of Yalig nar. IT all makes sense now!!

Les goooooooo! This is AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing. I mean, everything here is so funny! I also immediately loved the Lopen, because well, he’s Lopen. I don’t remember if I liked Lift at first or not. . . But I know that Syl and Pattern are AWESOME! That Sylspear at the end was awesome when I first read it. I was like whaaaaaaaaaaa? This is amazing! Woah. Again, thank you for sharing. This is awesome. 
Crem before Cremlings, Radiants!

This is so awesome!

On 8/25/2020 at 4:20 AM, king of nowhere said:

strange. adolin is one of the nices guys ever

But that doesn't mean that she isn't right.

6 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

*Shalladin happening in the chasms*
TAY: They’re perfect for each other. They’re both colossal pains in the butt.
ME: Yes! Finally someone agrees with me with Shalladin!

@DramaQueen They(Tay) agree with you!

11 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

There you have it, Radiants. Your ten orders of knights: Windbreakers, Skydancers, Dustslingers, Waterweavers, Soilencouragers, Firemakers, Lightspinners, Darkdoers, Stormsnappers, and Jazz Hands.

Szeth is a dragon!

(Funnily enough-- a complete coincidence, I'm told-- that game is copyrighted to "Stormlight Workshop").

edit: Szeth is many Skydancers

Edited by Necessary Eagle

@Goatbringer Thank you SO much! And I'm so glad that you've had much-needed rain in South Africa - your drought has been horrible (I have contacts on some of the farms; such hardship).

• Lift: Yeah, Lift gets better over time ... the first time she meets Dalinar is one of the best. :-)
  • Shadowfiends: Not sure we're gonna see these, but wow! What an idea!
  • Asthma inhaler = sucking in Stormlight: Yasss! Brilliant!
  • "Crem before cremlings:" Love this; gonna steal it starting now.
  • No reaction to Syl's "He is mine! I claim him!" or "Stetch forth thy hand!"? Guess she really isn't into poignant one-liners.
  • Glad she's liking Adolin more now. I think most of us have changed our opinion of him over the series. Hoping things will really upgrade for him & that Maya will wake up in RoW!
  • Order of the Windbreakers? So their superpower is ... breaking wind? HAHAHAHA! I am totally in that order, whenever I eat spicy food. ;-)

Ah, my week has taken on a definitely more fun tone because of this thread!

My fellow Mind Readers - Salute! Crem before cremlings!!

TAY: I’m not sure I get the hype.

TAKE THAT BACK TAY OR I WILL STEAL YOUR DINNER! 

*Kaladin is in the mouth of the Rock Lobster and says “I’m eternally grateful”*

Does she have a reaction to the Shaladin or Shaladin fans?

TAY: I can show you the wooooorld!

Not letting go of the Daladin ship I see.

ME: Cringey!? Okay let’s imagine you’re Kaladin – you’ve been depressed, torn up by your conflicting emotions, beat up, and finally got your powers back. You’ve been thinking about some badass line all the way to Narak to fight Szeth – what would you come up with?

Can someone write that fanfic please?  I am just thinking about Syl commenting on all the lines that Kaladin tries out on his way there.

TAY: “I am Szeth-son-son-son-Dadanndo!” Ungh. I hate Szeth. He’s my least favourite character now.

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

TAY: Pew pew pew pew!

HAHAHAHAH!

8 hours ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

I sincerely hope that end of Oathbringer gets at least some reaction, or we may just have to curse them

Nah - we'll just reassign her from Windrunner (Tay's result on the KR Order quiz) to Darkdoer ... or maybe Windbreaker, if that phrase has the same colloquial meaning in South Africa that it does here in the US, LOL! This thread has given us too much enjoyment.:D

On 9/3/2020 at 7:56 AM, The_Truthwatcher said:

This is so awesome!

But that doesn't mean that she isn't right.

@DramaQueen They(Tay) agree with you!

HECK MCFREAKING YES! (Yes, I did steal that from Fadran. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :ph34r:)

Hopefully...

Spoiler

Oathbringer won't change her mind. My brother low-key shipped them in WoR, but after OB, he became a full supporter of Shadolin... I was disappointed.

I don’t know. I mean, Kaladin is still being too depressed. I hope he stops being depressed in Rhythm of War. Don’t get me wrong, Kaladin is still my fav, but he is too gloomy most of the time. Shallan and Adolin are perfect for each other. 

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

Holy this was hilarious and amazing.

Dude ur wife is waifu as F_k. 

Comedy waifu is pure atium. 

I'm surprised I didn't find this before

I'm even more surprised @Honorless hasn't seen this before !!!!!!!!!!

This is a first. Wait @The Traveller u will love this too. 

Hope comedy waifu reads edgedancer and oathbringer too. Pls post new stuff when u r free . 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

49 minutes ago, Goatbringer said:

Well guys – we’ve just kept on rolling in our house. To be completely honest, I think that we’ve kept listening to the books together mainly because Tay slipped a disc in her back and so walking upstairs to our TV has been a bit of a mission, so staying downstairs and listening to Oathbringer has been a much less painful experience for her. SO! We decided to skip Soilencourager for the time being, just because Tay wanted more Kaladin/Dalinar/Shallan action – but mainly she found out that Pattern wasn’t in the novella and wasn’t super interested in it. So! Without further ado, I present to you Tay’s reactions to Oath…breaker!

--

One of the first reactions she had was to question – “Why did the Parshendi use Szeth to kill Gavilar? They just happened to have a super-skilled assassin who could be a Surgebinder tagging along with them to the treaty meetings?”

I was similarly perplexed. In Eshonai’s prologue perspective, she mentions Klade or another one of the Listener leaders being drawn to Szeth by a voice – are we all in agreement that this is Odium influencing the Listeners to Szeth to make sure that this budding future Bondsmith is killed? Or are there other theories as to why Szeth just happened to be around to be used by the Listeners to kill Gavilar?

--

To test Tay’s understanding of the books the farther along we go, I asked her to describe what spren are.

TAY: Okay Chris. I’m pretty connected to the matrix. I can tell you what spren are. A spren is a cute magical thing that appears out of nowhere and helps you. Like a stray puppy. It’s important to recognize, however, that when they’re cute magical beings they are sometimes gods. Or storms. Or lamps.
ME: Lamps?
TAY: Yeah, lamps. Like Navani traps them in things and makes them do stuff. Like be lamps. They also come from the magical bead place.
ME: What’s that place called?
TAY: Sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh…adesmar?
ME: Yes!
TAY: Oh good. I really wanted to say “Shallandavar”.

--

*After I mentioned some of the Radiant orders*

TAY: Willshapers? Is that what they call a conveyancing attorney? Help you dissolve your estate? Ha!

--

*Kaladin is on his way to Hearthstone*

TAY: Press pause. There’s something I have to do.
ME: *presses pause*
TAY: *sings the entire song of “My Hometown” off of Bruce Springsteen’s classic 1984 album Born in the U.S.A. while imitating Bruce’s singing voice*

BornInTheUSAsinglecover.jpg.6bd812d3bd76574eb112e1443c1c049f.jpg

--

Not really a specific quote, but when the “No Mating” scene showed up, Tay lost it. She is starting to feel feelings for Pattern usually only reserved for our cats and is now referring to Pattern as ‘my baby’. She loved when Shallan says something along the lines of “Well if you love Adolin so much why don’t you marry him?” and Pattern asks if that’s possible. I think she now likes Adolin enough that she’s fine if Pattern ditches Shallan to bond with Adolin.

--

Just a point that we both loved: the scene where Adolin and Shallan practice with their Blades and Shallan just loves doing a thing that Adolin is obviously thrilled about. We realized that being with a person while they’re in their element (even if you don’t necessarily like it) is an important part of love, and something that just makes the relationship that much more special. For me, apparently, it’s whenever I get into some deep rugby analysis or I’m explaining an exciting historical event in great detail. Tay realized that this is why so many of her students love her while her colleagues think she’s just decent – her students are seeing her get animated and gushing about The Great Gatsby or Ulysses or A Thousand Splendid Suns while her colleagues are only getting to know her through faculty meetings and such. Really fun realization through this scene!

--

She also kind of wants to use Dalinar’s takama belt anecdote in her classes now, but can’t quite figure out where to fit it.

--

TAY: Elhokar? Aladar? Gavilar? Dalinar? Kalanor? Revolar? Mrazie, Graves, and Rayse? Why are all these names so similar?! Can’t the leader of the Ghostbloods just be named “Steve”?

--

She got actual chills down her spine when Dalinar realized he heard Evi’s name.

--

*Hears Urithiru named*

TAY: Kind of sounds like ‘urethra’ and I can’t unhear it.

--

*Taravangian and Dalinar talking about Nohadon’s dilemma in The Way of Kings*

TAY: Taravangian, you’re heavy metal and I am here for it. Kill them all.

--

*I point out that many names in Vorin society are palindromic*

TAY: Hahaha. Brightlord Tacocat.

--

*Tay is upset that Re-Shephir is not killed by Shallan*

ME: Well she fled further into the mountain so she’s not a problem any more.
TAY: Not a problem!? She’s still a problem! I’d be even more paranoid living in this place now. It’s like if we had confirmation that there were deadly toxic mushrooms in our house but we don’t know where they are. Would you call that ‘not a problem’?

--

To finish things off: I’m quizzing Tay before each post to name the Orders of Radiants. Here’s how she did:

TAY: Lightweavers. Windrunners. Bondsmiths. Oathbringers. Edgedancers. Skywalkers. Waterdancers. Oathbreakers. Windrunners. Light… weavers. Have I done that already? Dammit.

--

That’s all for now folks!

Crem before cremlings.

so. Tay is amazing. Please tell her this, @Goatbringer : KEEP BEING AWESOME! THIS IS MY FAVORITE POST IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE 17TH SHARD! I will donate many spheres for you to listen to the book with this strange new sound fabrial