The Newcago Court

Quiver

What do you eat, Laughing Fool? A steady diet of Bubble Yum and Fruit Roll-Ups, I presume?

The hearts of my enemies, to gain their strength; the brains of my enemies, to gain their knowledge...

...and yeah, the Fruit Roll-Ups. I also feast on irony. The member name "Delightful" lured me here; I find it terribly ironic since I have yet to be delighted.

The hearts of my enemies, to gain their strength; the brains of my enemies, to gain their knowledge...

...and yeah, the Fruit Roll-Ups. I also feast on irony. The member name "Delightful" lured me here; I find it terribly ironic since I have yet to be delighted.

that is because you are a fool. you must agree because you put it in your username.

Edited by Matrim Bloody Cauthon

You also have yet to do anything other than hand out insults. I would venture a guess that this is the reason.

(:P)

I've never read lord of the rings,

Is it a good book?

That actually depends. It basically redefined fantasy when it was written, so it's ridiculously famous and many many people love it. It's also a little long-winded, especially to begin with (it spends like 3 chapters describing every detail of the character and his house and his family and his clothes and the history of the entire region and what they all ate for breakfast.....you get the idea ). I personally haven't gotten further than the end of book 2 (there are 3, plus The Hobbit which is a prequel).

Tolkien created the world the books are set in before he ever sat down and thought of a story. As a result, the world feels incredibly real and vivid: everything from languages to local customs is described in detail. A LOT of detail. Like Delightful said, they're a bit long winded, and after years of heroic quest fantasy that par of the series might feel a bit trite. Still, they're very well written and basically the granddaddy of all modern fantasy books, so I'd say they're worth the read.

That actually depends. It basically redefined fantasy when it was written, so it's ridiculously famous and many many people love it. It's also a little long-winded, especially to begin with (it spends like 3 chapters describing every detail of the character and his house and his family and his clothes and the history of the entire region and what they all ate for breakfast.....you get the idea ). I personally haven't gotten further than the end of book 2 (there are 3, plus The Hobbit which is a prequel).

Just to mention it, the Hobbit has a significantly different storytelling style. I find that these books are really great examples of literature, but if you're looking for, say, another Brandon Sanderson book with crazy plot twists, fast-paced story, etc., you might be on the wrong track. 

But they're Tolkien's masterpiece, so you should at least try reading them. The first time I tried, I fell asleep. But then again, I was in 6th grade, so...

I read the hobbit loved it. Then i started to read lord of the rings but i had seen the movies before i read the books and just prefered the way the movies organized it. The books were good but I loved the movies.

The movies are a bit easier to follow, I think. Part of the problem is that Tolkien didn't really know where he was going with the story when he started, so there are two whole chapters devoted to a character (Tom Bombadil) who never shows up again. He does play a small role in the story, and he is mentioned later on, but the movies cut his scenes with (I think) no detriment to the overall storyline. And the thing is, Tom Bombadil is a good character. He's fun, he's helpful, and he's funny and wise in his own crazy way. But he doesn't contribute as much to the story as, say, Galadriel (an Elf queen) or Aragorn (a Ranger with more to his past). So even though some fans thought it was terrible that Bombadil was cut, I didn't mind so much. 

Just a matter of opinion, really. 

Oh, I'm not contracted to a member named Good Naturedly - good naturedly is the manner in which I've been contracted to insult. Just wanted that to be clear so people realized I was RPing and not just being a jerk.

Repeating what I've said on that topic: Northwesterner. Cold, dark weather + most of the year = more sarcasm than straight talk. Good-natured insults + Internet = happy times for TwiLygyt. :)

I read the hobbit loved it. Then i started to read lord of the rings but i had seen the movies before i read the books and just prefered the way the movies organized it. The books were good but I loved the movies.

I'll try read lord of the rings next :)

Edited by Elsa Steelheart

BT woke up with a starf after passing out, "What happened? What did I miss? Ugh, argh," He stood up and looked around, "Any one thirsty?"

Queen Elsa walked over to him.

"You alright Lord Breathtaker?"

"The only thing you really missed was making the party thread for 1000 posts. We are going to have a party for hitting 1000 posts" "I was wondering if you could supply some drinks for the party."

Edited by Elsa Steelheart