Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

14 minutes ago, Pineap-spider said:

I completely agree. I think animation would convey the complexity of the magic better

100% this actually. It's kind of like how Avatar the last airbender can use its visual style to show airbending which wouldn't really be visible. Animation would allow for visual indications for some magics that are difficult to visually show such as bronze burning, emotional allomancy and possibly even lashings.

29 minutes ago, Pineap-spider said:

I completely agree. I think animation would convey the complexity of the magic better. For example, I have trouble imagining Syl in live action and looking good. On the other hand, I think it would look a lot more natural in an animated format. I think I'd like Mistborn in a "The  Dragon Prince" animation style, (decent show). that's how I imagine it in my head at least. Nothing to hyper realistic, as that would get freaky, and wander into a anime style I (personally) would dislike, but not too cartoony.

I would be down for that. I think it fits the tone really well.

I also think the Rithmatist would make a interesting horror film, so maybe take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Yeah, animation would be so cool. I would love 2d animation, but I know that these days it's not the most realistic. 2d is always the coolest looking, in my opinion, but that's the anime lover in my talking lol. If they were to do an anime-like adaptation, I think using Fullmetal Alchemist would be a good model for the style-genre. It's serious and grounded, but can be cute and comical at moments when it needs to be.

As for 3d animation, I think something like arcane would be great for both SA and Mistborn, it's not weirdly realistic, but manages to be not too cartoony and feel serious. (I've never seen arcane, just shots of the show, either way I think the artsyle would really work with Brandons style of writing). Or, like I said before, the spiderverse artstyle- or at least a similar approach would be awesome! I

think specifically Arcane->SA and Spiderverse->Mistborn would work really well. I can just immagine super artsy and strange feeling scenes with hyperstylized mist . . . it would be so cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Shallan stealing Kaladin's boots isn't funny- and makes her seem like the spoiled, entitled lighteyes he thinks she is. 

Now, later, when Shallan gets to the Shattered Plains for the first time, and she and Kaladin exchange insults and make a scene in front of a roomful of people, now that was comedy gold. 

Also, Kaladin should be in a romantic relationship. Everyone saying that he shouldn't because "he's not mentally stable and needs to work on his issues", um...let me just say...Shallan?? Dalinar? They have issues that are just as serious, if not more so, and they both ended up married. And were better off because of it, IMO. Just because someone has their own demons to battle does not make them undeserving of a loving partner. 

16 hours ago, XaliaStormblessed said:

Shallan stealing Kaladin's boots isn't funny- and makes her seem like the spoiled, entitled lighteyes he thinks she is. 

Now, later, when Shallan gets to the Shattered Plains for the first time, and she and Kaladin exchange insults and make a scene in front of a roomful of people, now that was comedy gold. 

Also, Kaladin should be in a romantic relationship. Everyone saying that he shouldn't because "he's not mentally stable and needs to work on his issues", um...let me just say...Shallan?? Dalinar? They have issues that are just as serious, if not more so, and they both ended up married. And were better off because of it, IMO. Just because someone has their own demons to battle does not make them undeserving of a loving partner. 

Shallan taking his boots feels like she's trying to recover her bearings after washing ashore and also prove herself to her company. She's just nearly died and she needs to regain her dignity and she doesn't know how. Whether or not it's actually funny, I leave that to everyone to decide on your own, but I feel like that scene is also integral to her character arc.

Kaladin, he's not going to be able to make a relationship work until he no longer feels like he deserves all this pain. LAst we see, he's making progress on it and so maybe we'll see this happen soon.

1 hour ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Shallan taking his boots feels like she's trying to recover her bearings after washing ashore and also prove herself to her company. She's just nearly died and she needs to regain her dignity and she doesn't know how. Whether or not it's actually funny, I leave that to everyone to decide on your own, but I feel like that scene is also integral to her character arc.

I agree with this. I personally find the scene hilarious (probably because it plays directly into the kind of humor I enjoy), but even without how funny it is, it gives us a good look at Shallans character at the moment.

Is she acting like a spoiled child? Maybe, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, or untrue to her character. She's a noble men's daughter and has been treated such her whole life. She just came from living with the princess as well. This is Shallan's first experience with the real, harsh world of people who don't care about her rank and want to take advantage of her. So if she does seem a little bit genuinely spoiled I think that's because she is, and she's just learning what the world is like.

I also think it's important to note how she's taking one of her first go's at acting, or impersonating. This later because a massive facet of her character with the creation of Veil and Radiant. She's acting like a worse person than she is, because that's what [ghostblood lady she ran into who's name I forgot] was trying to teach her. Shallan's own spoiled-ness leeks through, yes, but most of it is acting. 

To me, the scene makes her seem less like a spoiled brat, and more like a scared child. She's completely out of her depth, so she falls into the cliche of a spoiled lighteyes because it's safe, and works (for the most part). Kaladin isn't aware of her struggles the way the reader is, so he sees her as that facade she's put up. But we as the reader know she's barely staying together on the inside. The scene allows us to see this through the contrast of who she's pretending to be, who people see her as, and what she really is deep down.

Also, Kaladin should be in a romantic relationship. Everyone saying that he shouldn't because "he's not mentally stable and needs to work on his issues", um...let me just say...Shallan?? Dalinar? They have issues that are just as serious, if not more so, and they both ended up married. And were better off because of it, IMO. Just because someone has their own demons to battle does not make them undeserving of a loving partner. 

1 hour ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Kaladin, he's not going to be able to make a relationship work until he no longer feels like he deserves all this pain. LAst we see, he's making progress on it and so maybe we'll see this happen soon.

I definitely think he could benefit from a romantic relationship, but I think he needs to go slow. I think it would be really great if he ended up with someone he considers a really close friend first, before they both consider romance. It would give him time to open up to the person and become comfortable around them before they get into the added tension of romance. It would give time for Kaladin to heal a little more, and his partner would also be able to aid him in that healing as well. 

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in a relationship right now, I'm just saying it would be best for him if he took things slowly, and dated someone he already trusted.

Perhaps that's why it didn't work out with [Lin? that one girl? I can't remember names this morning]. They both jumped into the relationship, wanting it to be romantic. There was no time for the extra building of trust that I think Kaladin needs right now, and [Lin-girl-person] ended up misunderstanding him and not being able to really get to know him because she hadn't taken the time to break down his walls. 

Or they just weren't made for each other and I'm rambling, but I hope you can kinda see what I mean.

Edited by justice magician

On 1/21/2024 at 1:32 PM, XaliaStormblessed said:

Also, Kaladin should be in a romantic relationship. Everyone saying that he shouldn't because "he's not mentally stable and needs to work on his issues"

On 1/22/2024 at 9:13 AM, Lego Mistborn said:

On 1/22/2024 at 9:55 AM, justice magician said:

I definitely think he could benefit from a romantic relationship, but I think he needs to go slow.

Obviously, every person's opinion is their own, and valid for their personal canon, but please consider:

• Kaladin is the only true* Aro character we have in the Cosmere, and some of us feel excluded when people try to say/imply he is somehow flawed for not pursuing a relationship
  • We've already seen him try forming relationships as a method of coping with his depression. It's failed. . . twice
    • Which does not imply that it can't work in the future, but it does seem that at this stage of his development that is not something that will help him
  • Outside the story, some of us think it's just nice to have a Protagonist that isn't shoehorned into a relationship "because leading characters must have a relationship"

*Note:

Spoiler

Aro has so many wildly varying "definitions" that I can only go by my experience (since that is currently how I identify as the closest "term" I can find) - so by this I mean:

• An individual that does not feel a need to have a relationship or judge their own self-worth based on presence or absence of a significant other; does not necessarily feel romantic attraction
    • Although they may feel sexual attraction, and may even confuse the latter as indicative of the former

As @justice magician said, he may be Demiromantic, or may evolve to that point.

Also, please note that I understand nobody is purposefully being exclusionary (and may not even realize that effect is happening), that's why I wanted to point out my thoughts.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Edited by Treamayne
Notes

10 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Obviously, every person's opinion is their own, and valid for their personal canon, but please consider:

• Kaladin is the only true* Aro character we have in the Cosmere, and some of us feel excluded when people try to say he is somehow flawed for not pursuing a relationship
  • We've already seen him try forming relationships as a method of coping with his depression. It's failed. . . twice
    • Which does not imply that it can't work in the future, but it does seem that at this stage of his development that is not something that will help him
  • Outside the story, some of us think it's just nice to have a Protagonist that isn't shoehorned into a relationship "because leading characters must have a relationship"

*Note:

Reveal hidden contents

Aro has so many wildly varying "definitions" that I can only go by my experience (since that is currently how I identify as the closest "term" I can find) - so by this I mean:

• An individual that does not feel a need to have a relationship or judge their own self-worth based on presence or absence of a significant other; does not necessarily feel romantic attraction
    • Although they may feel sexual attraction, and may even confuse the latter as indicative of the former

As @justice magician said, he may be Demiromantic, or may evolve to that point.

Also, please note that I understand nobody is purposefully being exclusionary (and may not even realize that effect is happening), that's why I wanted to point out my thoughts.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

I had actually never heard that take on his character before and I think that's so cool! It really fits him, and if that's how it comes out in the books I wouldn't feel disappointed in any way.

As a reader I definitely don't think his character arch requires romance, nor does healing from his troubles require romance. I just think that it would be interesting way to see him become more trusting of others and more emotionally open. This could be done with a platonic relationship too though, so yeah, he definitely doesn't need a romance. 

That being said, I am a Kaleshwi shipper, and would love to see them together. It probably won't happen though ^_^

Valid points all. I agree that Kaladin doesn't need a romantic relationship (I just think it'd be really fun to see), nor do I think it will ever happen, I just want to see him actually happy- whatever that looks like. 

Edited by XaliaStormblessed

21 minutes ago, Zelllion said:

Hoid is annoying and doesn't make good jokes.

IMO, Hoid is one of the best fictional characters out there, and he plays into when of my favorite character tropes (which I've been hesitantly calling the 'omnipresent cryptid'). Not only that, but he plays very well into the specific genre of humor i find extremely funny, and his 'monolouges'/ wise words have always hit really deep for me.

What is it you don't really like about him specifically?

19 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I will refer you to chapter ten of the Sunlit Man and the Dog and the Dragon scene.

My case that Hoid is awesome stands.

Agreed lol

2 hours ago, Zelllion said:

Hoid is annoying and doesn't make good jokes.

2 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I will refer you to chapter ten of the Sunlit Man and the Dog and the Dragon scene.

My case that Hoid is awesome stands.

I split the difference.

To me, Hoid, as Hoid (Nalthis, Sel, Scadrial 1 and 2), is pretty great. Hoid as Wit is, for me, very hit or miss (I dislike most of the humor and like most of the non-humor / with exceptions to both subcategories). Hoid as Narrator (SP1 and 3) is a work in progress and I have hope that his Narration of his own story (Dragonsteel) will be better than either of those two attempts. 

14 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I split the difference.

To me, Hoid, as Hoid (Nalthis, Sel, Scadrial 1 and 2), is pretty great. Hoid as Wit is, for me, very hit or miss (I dislike most of the humor and like most of the non-humor / with exceptions to both subcategories). Hoid as Narrator (SP1 and 3) is a work in progress and I have hope that his Narration of his own story (Dragonsteel) will be better than either of those two attempts. 

I know I'm in this thread to much I'm sorry

I've heard this opinion in the past, and I can't help speculate a reason for it, because I'll admit, my own opinion is almost completely the opposite. Bear with me for a minute.

My first ever experience with with Hoid was his Wit character in SA, and I really enjoyed him. I thought he was super funny, and the wisdom was really cool. I love the narration of the SP's, and I think it's what makes them some of my favorite Brandon Sanderson books ever. I've often heard it needs refining, but I've never felt that way.

Part of me wonders if the difference in opinion here is due to the fact that Hoids character has changed, as new books come out. Or, perhaps not changed, but as we see more up-close-and-personal involvement from him in stories, we see new facets of his personality that some like more than others.

You stated that you liked Hoid in Warbreaker, and his more wise/ sober parts in other works. I don't know if this is your first experience with him, but it is your opinion on the parts of Hoid you prefer. In Warbreaker, he remains very sage and serious, giving wisdom and playing the part of a well-rounded old man. 

In SA and the SP's, Hoid is not solely this way and we see him in a different light. He's loud, offensive and snarky, making jibes at others and acting (for want of a better way of putting it) less mature. In Warbreaker, and other works where he is more wise, or appears only briefly, we don't see this side of his character at all. 

I can't help but wonder that as the Cosmere books shift towards Hoid being a fore-front character and less of an easter-egg, we've gotten to see a deeper side of his personality that some didn't expect and/ or dislike. Like I said, I started my reading with SA, where we get to see much more of him, so I like that side of him more. I'll admit that while I loved seeing Hoid appear in Warbreaker, that's probably one of my least favorite of his appearances because I find it pretty boring/ not in line with the 'Wit' I had grown to know and love.

I guess what I'm trying to get at with all this rambling is that Hoid's character is changing/developing OR we're getting to see more facets of his personality in later works that he hid before. From what you've said, and other peoples opinions that I've heard in the past, I think that some people prefer the more sober side of him, and others prefer Wit.

Just something I've noticed, I guess.

1 hour ago, justice magician said:

In SA and the SP's, Hoid is not solely this way and we see him in a different light. He's loud, offensive and snarky, making jibes at others and acting (for want of a better way of putting it) less mature.

It's worth noting that, in the Stormlight Archive at least, this is him performing his job duties.  The purpose of the King's Wit is to be an offensive jester who will humiliate people that the king needs humiliated, because it would be beneath the king's dignity to do so personally.

Edited by Mason Wheeler

11 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

It's worth noting that, in the Stormlight Archive at least, this is him performing his job duties.  The purpose of the King's Wit is to be an offensive jester who will humiliate people that the king needs humiliated, because it would be beneath the king's dignity to do so personally.

I agree! But I feel as though it's not completely an act because

A: He really enjoys it.

B: He acts in a similar way in the SP's, though maybe not to the same extreme.

C : He still seems to have these personality traits in SA even when he's not at court or needing to be a jester (EX. when he's with shallan, or jasnah)

The same could be said for other appearances of his, we can't be sure how much of it is an act.

1 minute ago, justice magician said:

I agree! But I feel as though it's not completely an act because

A: He really enjoys it.

B: He acts in a similar way in the SP's, though maybe not to the same extreme.

Agreed.

C : He still seems to have these personality traits in SA even when he's not at court or needing to be a jester (EX. when he's with shallan, or jasnah)

There I don't agree.  While I'll admit it's been a while since I read them — last time I read anything Stormlight was when the last book came out — and it's possible there are scenes I'm forgetting, I do remember him shedding the evil clown persona and being far more sober and compassionate when talking with Shallan.  Jasnah... it really depends on the scene, but he's generally a lot more serious when he's alone with her as well.

With Kaladin, on the other hand...

I personally think Hoid is a fine character. He makes me laugh sometimes, and the stories like the dog and the dragon are some of my favorite parts of rereads, but he can be really annoying. This may be unpopular, but the Hoid + Jasnah is disgusting. I hate every single aspect of it.

22 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Is it unpopular?  I haven't seen too much support expressed for this pairing that really seems to have come out of nowhere.

I haven't heard either way, so I have no idea if the opinion is unpopular, so I was covering my bases. 

1 hour ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Agreed.

There I don't agree.  While I'll admit it's been a while since I read them — last time I read anything Stormlight was when the last book came out — and it's possible there are scenes I'm forgetting, I do remember him shedding the evil clown persona and being far more sober and compassionate when talking with Shallan.  Jasnah... it really depends on the scene, but he's generally a lot more serious when he's alone with her as well.

With Kaladin, on the other hand...

I can see where your coming from, but I still mostly disagree. He acts mischievous enough when he's with them, but those are just the parts I'm remembering best so who knows :D

The specific examples I'm thinking of:

Spoiler

-Hoid casually stealing Shallans wallet in OB

-Hoid sauntering up to Jasnah on the battlefield offering her some sliced fruit (this scene lives rent free in my head I don't know why I find it so funny)

1 hour ago, Pineap-spider said:

I personally think Hoid is a fine character. He makes me laugh sometimes, and the stories like the dog and the dragon are some of my favorite parts of rereads, but he can be really annoying. This may be unpopular, but the Hoid + Jasnah is disgusting. I hate every single aspect of it.

1 hour ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Is it unpopular?  I haven't seen too much support expressed for this pairing that really seems to have come out of nowhere.

I ship It, and I've met others on the shard who do to, so it's definitely controversial, I don't think one side is more popular than the other. 

4 hours ago, justice magician said:

Part of me wonders if the difference in opinion here is due to the fact that Hoids character has changed, as new books come out.

<snip>

I don't know if this is your first experience with him, but it is your opinion on the parts of Hoid you prefer. 

Nope, and nope. 

I started reading the Cosmere around 2011. I'm just a crusty old fan who has rather narrow definitions on what I find humourous. For example:

Spoiler

Funny:

Warbreaker Ch 32:

“That sounds like the name of a Returned.”

Hoid nodded. “Indeed,” he said. “Kalad was Returned, as was Peacegiver, the man who overthrew him and founded Hallandren. We haven’t arrived at that part yet.

<snip>

Why was the Manywar fought in their opinions?”

The storyteller fell silent for a moment. And then he pulled out two handfuls and began to release dust of a half-dozen different colors. “Breath, Your Grace. Most agree that the Manywar was not only about petals squeezed dry, but a much greater prize. People squeezed dry.

TFE Ch 19:

“Insufferable man!” Kelsier snapped, tossing a pouch at Hoid’s feet.

“Yes, my lord,” Hoid said, falling to his knees and searching about with his hand. “I apologize, my lord. My eyesight is weak, you know. I can barely see my own fingers held in front of my face.”

TLM Ch 21:

“You are a uniquely bizarre individual,” Hoid said, smiling as the rat crawled up his arm. “But … trade accepted, I guess?”

TLM Ch 25:

“How on Scadrial did you find me?” Wax asked.

Hoid cocked an eyebrow at the gathering crowd. “Pardon, Lord Ladrian, but you do create quite a spectacle. It’s not terribly difficult to track you.”

Well, that was fair. 

TLM Ch 72:

A tiny light, drifting closer. Small, yet unyielding in the mists. It resolved into … a lantern? On a small boat? How …

The boat motored right up to him, and then a man in a coachman’s outfit with white gloves stood up on the deck and reached out to Wax.

“Carriage,” Hoid said, “for you. Sir.”

TES Deleted Prologue:

Shai froze.

“Your duplicate, I might add,” the Fool said, hands clasped behind his back, “was quite useful. Thank you.”

<snip>

The Fool smiled. “A chance is coming your way, Shai,” he said.

“A chance?”

“A sign of respect, from one liar to another. It is not much—I must leave this place, and my time to arrange an opportunity for you was narrow. But you are clever; it might be enough.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Keep your wits sharpened,” the Fool said, turning to go.

WoK Ch 15:

“But, you arrived hours ago, then! What have you been doing? How could I have missed seeing you here?”

“I had…things to be about,” Wit said. “But I couldn’t stay away from the hunt. I wouldn’t want you to lack for me.”

WoR: Ch 59:

“Perhaps a story for a child,” Wit said. “I will tell you one, to get you in the mood. A bunny rabbit and a chick went frolicking in the grass together on a sunny day.”

“A chick . . . baby chicken?” Kaladin said. “And a what?”

“Ah, forgot myself for a moment,” Wit said. “Sorry. Let me make it more appropriate for you. A piece of wet slime and a disgusting crab thing with seventeen legs slunk across the rocks together on an insufferably rainy day. Is that better?”

“I suppose. 

Not Funny:

Elantris Postscript:

“So…” the sphere said. “Frog?”

“I think of that moment,” Hoid replied, holding up one finger, “and I realize something important.”

“That your most awful experiences are never the ones you’re anticipating?”

“No, but I’m sure I can use that idea someday. So thank you.” Hoid took a deep breath, looking out over the shining city, brilliant even in the face of the dawning daylight. “No, I realize that as terrible, revolting, and miserable as that day was for me … at least I wasn’t the frog.”

WoK Ch 12:

“No greeting for me, Renarin?” Wit said, amused.

Renarin said nothing.

“He thinks you’ll mock him if he speaks to you, Wit,” Adolin said. “Earlier this morning, he told me he’d determined not to say anything around you.”

“Wonderful!” Wit exclaimed. “Then I can say whatever I wish, and he’ll not object?”

Renarin hesitated.

Wit leaned in to Adolin. “Have I told you about the night Prince Renarin and I had two days back, walking the streets of the warcamp? We came across these two sisters, you see, blue eyed and—”

“That’s a lie!” Renarin said, blushing.

WoK Ch 15:

“Wit!” Elhokar exclaimed. “When did you get here?”

“I caught up to your party just before the battle, Your Majesty,” Wit said, bowing. “I was going to speak with you, but the chasmfiend beat me to you. I hear your conversation with it was rather energizing.”

<snip>

“That is unfortunately true,” Wit said.

“Unfortunately?”

“Yes. You see, Sadeas, you make it too easy. An uneducated, half-brained serving boy with a hangover could make mock of you. I am left with no need to exert myself, and your very nature makes mockery of my mockery. And so it is that through sheer stupidity you make me look incompetent.”

Wok Ch 22:

“Ah, my dear Brightlord Taselin. Still engaged in your experiment to prove a maximum threshold of human idiocy? Good for you! Very empirical of you.”

Dalinar hesitated beside Wit’s chair as Taselin waddled by with a huff. “Wit,” Dalinar said, “do you have to?”

“Two what, Dalinar?” Wit said, eyes twinkling. “Eyes, hands, or spheres? I’d lend you one of the first, but—by definition—a man can only have one I, and if it is given away, who would be Wit then? I’d lend you one of the second, but I fear my simple hands have been digging in the muck far too often to suit one such as you. And if I gave you one of my spheres, what would I spend the remaining one on? I’m quite attached to both of my spheres, you see.” He hesitated. “Or, well, you can’t see. Would you like to?” He stood up off his chair and reached for his belt.

“Wit,” Dalinar said dryly.

WoR Ch 67

“Wit,” Dalinar said sternly, “do you mind?”

“Rarely.”

Dalinar sighed, looking back to Amaram and taking the papers. “Brightness Navani is on another island. Do you know what these say?”

Amaram’s expression grew grim. “I wish I didn’t.”

“I could hit you in the head with a hammer,” Wit said happily. “A good bludgeoning would make you forget and do wonders for that face of yours.”

“Wit,” Dalinar said flatly.

“I’m only joking.”

The last scene of WoR Ch 67 is a great example of the type of Hoid scenes I love, the forced "humor" and taunts are examples of the scenes I dislike.

And, of course Renarin getting the better of Wit is hilarious:

Spoiler

Sadeas froze, then grew red-faced. “You are a fool.”

“If the Wit is a fool, then it is a sorry state for men. I shall offer you this, Sadeas. If you can speak, yet say nothing ridiculous, I will leave you alone for the rest of the week.”

“Well, I think that shouldn’t be too difficult.”

“And yet you failed,” Wit said, sighing. “For you said ‘I think’ and I can imagine nothing so ridiculous as the concept of you thinking. What of you, young Prince Renarin? Your father wishes me to leave you alone. Can you speak, yet say nothing ridiculous?”

Eyes turned toward Renarin, who stood just behind his brother. Renarin hesitated, eyes opening wide at the attention. Dalinar grew tense.

“Nothing ridiculous,” Renarin said slowly.

In more pop-culture terms, for example, I thought the movie Clue was funny (mostly) - but I do not think 90% of the films with Adam Sandler or Will Farrell (or their ilk) are funny at all. 

I hope that makes sense to somebody other than myself. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

17 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Nope, and nope. 

I started reading the Cosmere around 2011. I'm just a crusty old fan who has rather narrow definitions on what I find humourous. For example:

Reveal hidden contents

Funny:

Warbreaker Ch 32:

TFE Ch 19:

TLM Ch 21:

TLM Ch 25:

TLM Ch 72:

TES Deleted Prologue:

WoK Ch 15:

WoR: Ch 59:

Not Funny:

Elantris Postscript:

WoK Ch 12:

WoK Ch 15:

Wok Ch 22:

WoR Ch 67

The last scene of WoR Ch 67 is a great example of the type of Hoid scenes I love, the forced "humor" and taunts are examples of the scenes I dislike.

And, of course Renarin getting the better of Wit is hilarious:

Reveal hidden contents

Sadeas froze, then grew red-faced. “You are a fool.”

“If the Wit is a fool, then it is a sorry state for men. I shall offer you this, Sadeas. If you can speak, yet say nothing ridiculous, I will leave you alone for the rest of the week.”

“Well, I think that shouldn’t be too difficult.”

“And yet you failed,” Wit said, sighing. “For you said ‘I think’ and I can imagine nothing so ridiculous as the concept of you thinking. What of you, young Prince Renarin? Your father wishes me to leave you alone. Can you speak, yet say nothing ridiculous?”

Eyes turned toward Renarin, who stood just behind his brother. Renarin hesitated, eyes opening wide at the attention. Dalinar grew tense.

“Nothing ridiculous,” Renarin said slowly.

In more pop-culture terms, for example, I thought the movie Clue was funny (mostly) - but I do not think 90% of the films with Adam Sandler or Will Farrell (or their ilk) are funny at all. 

I hope that makes sense to somebody other than myself. 

Just ignore me and my speculation then lol! I guess it really is just a difference in taste :D. I was just curious what you thought, as I'd gathered that idea from my own opinion and a few others I've talked with, but knowing me I'm probably just over thinking things entirely! 

(I've never seen the clue movie, nor do I really know who those actors are so I can't really say when it comes to that, sorry)

2 hours ago, justice magician said:

(I've never seen the clue movie, nor do I really know who those actors are so I can't really say when it comes to that, sorry)

Clue - All Star Cast, based on the board game, and (AFAIK) the only movie to be released to theaters with three different endings (which ending you saw was based on which theater you saw the movie in; on the DVD/BR - you get the choice when starting to see a random ending, or see all three in-sequence) 

Yes, I saw it in the theater. . . yes, I'm old.

Examples:

Spoiler

Colonel Mustard: Just checking.

Mrs. Peacock: Everything all right?

Colonel Mustard: Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine.

Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.

Wadsworth: So your work has not changed.

Colonel Mustard: Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there's nobody else in this house?

Wadsworth: Um... no.

Colonel Mustard: Then there is someone else in this house?

Wadsworth: Sorry, I said "no" meaning "yes."

Colonel Mustard: "No" meaning "yes?" Look, I want a straight answer, is there someone else, or isn't there, yes, or no?

Wadsworth: No.

Colonel Mustard: No there is, or no there isn't?

Wadsworth: Yes.

Mrs. White: [shatters glass] PLEASE!

Last example, and a favorite:

Cop: What's going on around here? And why would you lock me in? And why are you receiving phone calls from J. Edgar Hoover?

Wadsworth: J. Edgar Hoover?

Cop: That's right! The head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation!

Colonel Mustard: Why is J. Edgar Hoover on your phone?

Wadsworth: I don't know, he's on everybody else's, why shouldn't he be on mine?

Edited by Treamayne
Clarity

5 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Clue - All Star Cast, based on the board game, and (AFAIK) the only movie to be released to theaters with three different endings (on the DVD/BR - you get the choice when starting to see a random ending, or see all three in-sequence) 

Yes, I saw it in the theater. . . yes, I'm old.

Examples:

Reveal hidden contents

Last example, and a favorite:

Ah, I see, seems like a fun movie!

I found the recent D&D movie really funny, if you've seen that. I have a hard time explaining what it is I find funny, it's kind of a mixed bag.