AonEne

2 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Playing would be nice,” she said quietly. She hadn’t played with anyone before. Except maybe Rob. She paused, and then wilted, looking down. “I can’t fly, though.”

Mahad collapsed his wings, tumbled down and landed on Rob's leg. Not that his form made a difference, but he liked the dramatic flair behind the action. He shaped his body into the form of a lizard, the usual small clouds of smoke escaping him now and then. He had been convinced that cup could fly, had thought that all spren could, but then he had only played with Glint and Lopen, rarely with another one, so maybe he had simply assumed. He shook his head, as if to clear his head after tumbling down and looked up at Cup. Running over Rob's leg and chest he climbed on his arm as well.

"We can walk, or run?" He suggested and nudged her gently. "Do you like shiny things? We could search for them. Or we could paint." He liked painting, although Shana usually forbade it. But as Shana wasn't here, there was no reason not to.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Aragorn said:

"Thanks."  Nym noticed that Evelyn was flinching, but took nothing of it.  "I think I saw the training room on my way in.  I'll be back soon, maybe?"  She wasn't sure as to how long she was going to take.  Mmm... I get to turn into things.... Lopen said.  Nym made her way to the room.  She noticed two other people sparring and said, a little hesitantly, "Mind if I join?"  She summoned Lopen as a Lopenrapier, and approached them.

Evelyn nodded and watched as Nym walked away. Okay . . . First step, stand up. Second step, go upstairs.Third step, draw the aon. Then you can find something to put the design on. It sounded so simple when she put it like that. Almost simple enough to actually do it. She got up from her seat, moving slowly to try to prevent what had happened before. It worked. Whether that was because it actually hurt less, or because standing slowly have her a chance to acclimatize to the pain, Evelyn had no idea. Either way, when she stood up, she didn't have the same fierce - she had to forcibly stop herself from thinking the word "burning" - pain as she'd had before, and was able to make it up the stairs to her room.

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

Instinct had her react, instead of stopping the fight and talking to Nym. Her heart was still beating fast, and she wasn't really thinking, acting was easier, especially when it came to water. Immediatly she adjusted the grip on her weapon and aimed for his shoulder, then changed course at the last second, using the lower end of her weapon instead aiming at his hip. She went for speed instead of a hard blow, she didn't want to hurt him.

Oh storms, I just realized I ignored her previous attack. Sorry, I'll be more careful.

It worked. Somehow it had but Shana blocked it and started another attack immediately. Edwin didn't have time to react. He lifted his weapon to try and block the blow in his upper half --she was too fast to know exactly where she would hit-- but instead felt a sharp pain on his hip and the next second he was on the ground.

How did she do it? He hardly had time to see she was attacking, Shana hadn't wasted time thinking, she just acted. He got up slowly, his hip hurting a bit. "That was, kinda awesome." he said. By the side he saw Nym standing with a glowing rapier in her hand. How long had she been there? He didn't notice. "Hi." he said. "You come to train too?"

Edited by Eluvianii

On 11/4/2019 at 0:46 PM, AonEne said:
On 11/4/2019 at 0:20 PM, xinoehp512 said:

I would not consider the way that we have been handling overarching plot optimal. 

Why do you have that opinion, and what changes would you make? 

Because of the number of disagreements it has caused.

I’m glad you asked! I can’t identify every issue, but I have a few ideas.

First, I would add everyone to the plot PM. It seems to me that the point of the PM  is to have a location to propose and discuss options for plot. If plot/worldbuilding requires input and approval from everyone, then it would seem that everyone ought to be in it. This idea was objected to on the basis of PM overpopulation, but we’re nowhere near the 50 person limit.

Second, I would change the way we do polls. Header polls are handy, but they have their limitations. The central issue I have with header polls is that they inhibit discussion. You can’t suggest new options or change your vote while the poll is active, so coming to a compromise is harder.

I would rather that polls be in-thread (or in-PM), working something like this;

*Person A proposes a poll with options A,B,C*
*Person B votes for option A*
*Person C votes for option B*
*Person A thinks that option A is mostly good but has a concern about a particular aspect*
*Person D suggests a new option, D and votes for that*
*Person C votes for option D*
*Person B suggests a compromise on option A*
*Person A votes for option A*
*Person C votes for option A*
*Person D votes for option A*

Thirdly, we need to make sure that everyone can get behind whatever idea we choose, and that more than one person is contributing ideas to the plot worldbuilding. Otherwise, we risk repeating the past.

That has not been my experience... 

I’m confused as to what you’re referring to here, since every single poll has gotten votes from most active members, if not all, in the past. 

The polls that have been created so far have been for making decisions. I was referring to the fact that suggestions in regards to my plot posts have been pretty much nonexistent.

It was my understanding that the decision was that Voidbringers won’t be singers. It was decided on a long time ago that the Voidbringers would have singer features, and as far as I know nobody’s objected to it. 

The poll said (iirc - I should start screenshotting these) that they wouldn’t have singer features, presumably excluding the red eyes. 

I seem to recall that the option was ‘Voidbringers gradually turn into singers over time.’
Another reason to switch away from header polls. :P

It seems that the problem may be a different understanding of what counts as final. And, potentially, different ideas about how changes should be proposed.

What do you think final means? 

I think our system for proposing changes is fine - all you have to do is suggest it. Not really sure how else you could do it :P 

Fixed, unchanging…? :huh: Things that are part of canon.
You could go straight ahead without seeking approval.

I am not good at writing characters. 

You’re fine! Besides, the only way to get better is to do it. :D 

But I don’t enjoy writing characters as much as I do creating worldbuilding.

Yes, although I will likely have to rethink how I want things to go... 

From my viewpoint, the two easiest courses of action would be for Sheln to be killed or for him to run away like Cassie asked. He could also conceivably keep fighting, but I’d prefer that not to happen as I don’t want to stall the rest of the roleplayers. 

I was originally planning for Sheln to get captured and be part of whatever interrogation Sorana and Itiah had in mind. I could then use that opportunity to explain the Voidbringer perspective of things, which would basically be the singer perspective of things. Now that singers are officially not a thing, that perspective is going to need some modification, if it even continues to exist at all.

Edited by xinoehp512

9 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

First, I would add everyone to the plot PM. It seems to me that the point of the PM  is to have a location to propose and discuss options for plot. If plot/worldbuilding requires input and approval from everyone, then it would seem that everyone ought to be in it. This idea was objected to on the basis of PM overpopulation, but we’re nowhere near the 50 person limit. 

Everyone has the ability to be in the PM if they so choose. If they don’t want to be in it, then that is their choice to make. The required approval can come from the polls. And while it might not look like we’re close, the limit creeps up on you faster than you’d think. :P Especially as new members arrive and old ones go, the count will fluctuate. I don’t want to risk it. 

Second, I would change the way we do polls. Header polls are handy, but they have their limitations. The central issue I have with header polls is that they inhibit discussion. You can’t suggest new options or change your vote while the poll is active, so coming to a compromise is harder.

I would rather that polls be in-thread (or in-PM), working something like this (example) 

I don’t understand where you’re coming from, to be honest. There is nothing that inhibits discussion in header polls. Anyone can discuss the questions at any point in time.

If they want to change their vote, then they can mention it and it will be made note of. 

The way you suggested sounds like it would actually be much harder and more annoying to manage. We’d have to keep track of the score, of who had voted already, of how many people had voted, etc. Plus it would take up space in the RP; and there would be people who ignored it because it didn’t directly pertain to them (some people only react when tagged). Up at the top, it’s infinitely easier to notice and to keep track of. 

Thirdly, we need to make sure that everyone can get behind whatever idea we choose, and that more than one person is contributing ideas to the plot worldbuilding. Otherwise, we risk repeating the past.

Firstly, I’m going to be straight here, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll have many unanimous votes. Our objective is to have a majority vote, where we please as many people as we can. 

That is already the case. 

The polls that have been created so far have been for making decisions. I was referring to the fact that suggestions in regards to my plot posts have been pretty much nonexistent. 

...still not sure what you mean. We have talked about plot extensively. 

I seem to recall that the option was ‘Voidbringers gradually turn into singers over time.’ 

I’m 95% certain the words ‘singer features’ were in there, because I remember thinking about them when I made the poll. 

Fixed, unchanging…? :huh: Things that are part of canon. 

Then we have no disagreement. 

Which is not allowed, and hasn’t been for quite some time. 

Then that’s your personal preference. Characters are the factor around which roleplays are built, however, so not writing them is presumably one of the reasons why people were ruffled. Anyway, that’s irrelevant. 

I was originally planning for Sheln to get captured and be part of whatever interrogation Sorana and Itiah had in mind. I could then use that opportunity to explain the Voidbringer perspective of things, which would basically be the singer perspective of things. Now that singers are officially not a thing, that perspective is going to need some modification, if it even continues to exist at all. 

Then can we have him get captured? :) I don’t want to slow down Leona and the rest any more than we already have, so it would be great if you could post. I understand if you can’t think of anything, I’ve had those days too, so you could also just give me a rough outline of Sheln’s actions and I can write them. 

If you decide to write Sheln’s perspective on the Voidbringers, great. If not, great. We can make it work either way. 

On that note, it’s officially 2019. I’m now going to put up a poll regarding what month it is. A long time ago we decided that it was late winter, but I honestly can’t even remember our reasoning, and I have been informed that the prom is often a spring event, so I’ll just throw up all the months and let it be decided once and for all. (After that we’ll probably figure out the date.) 

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

Oh storms, I just realized I ignored her previous attack. Sorry, I'll be more careful.

Don't worry about it.

Shana shrugged. "I've been training how to fight for over ten years. I practice my skills daily." She grinned. "It's good to see, that it hasn't been for nothing." Her grin vanished when she turned earnest. "The only reason why I am here, is to fight for you. To take it over, to try to protect you. Both of my surges are offensive, as is my style to fight. I focus on eliminating my enemies quickly, even if it means, a higher risk to myself. Rob is different. His style is steadier, slower when it comes to dealing damage, but in the end he usually has less severe injuries than I have." At least when they weren't fighting each other and she usually changed a bit when training with a weaker oponent. There was no need to eliminate a friend, here time was her friend, as it allowed for them to practice longer.

She looked at Nym as well. "You can join us, but I'd prefer if we used practice weapons. I don't know either of your skills good enough to judge if you are able to avoid an accidental lethal attack, and I'd prefer if none of us was killed or maimed during practice."

For a moment she was silent, considered how to go on with two of them here. She wished that Rob would join them, but to ask him to train, while he was talking to Ashlyn, she couldn't do that.

"If you want to, I could face both of you." She offered, because it was the best solution that came to her mind. Edwin wasn't that good a fighter, and Nym - hard to judge after watching her fight for a few seconds. She suspected that she could best both of them in a duel, if they acted strategically well together she had a high chance of loosing. At least if she didn't went all out. Which she wouldn't. She wouldn't even offer it to them.

@Aragorn

8 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

It worked. Somehow it had but Shana blocked it and started another attack immediately. Edwin didn't have time to react. He lifted his weapon to try and block the blow in his upper half --she was too fast to know exactly where she would hit-- but instead felt a sharp pain on his hip and the next second he was on the ground.

How did she do it? He hardly had time to see she was attacking, Shana hadn't wasted time thinking, she just acted. He got up slowly, his hip hurting a bit. "That was, kinda awesome." he said. By the side he saw Nym standing with a glowing rapier in her hand. How long had she been there? He didn't notice. "Hi." he said. "You come to train too?"

"Yeah, if that's fine with you?"  Nym said uneasily.  She was really impressed with the girl, Shana, she was really good.  Nym was doubting if she would do good at this.  Well, too late to back out, she thought, while selecting a non- lethal rapier from the closet. @Eluvianii @Sorana

Uggg..., sorry I didn't get to that sooner, I had class, and also play practice. 

Edited by Aragorn

Edwin thought for a moment. Why did she have such a heavy load on her shoulders? They were supposed to be a team and share that burden. Risk herself to beat her enemies more quickly? Whichever way he saw it, it was more than any of them were supposed to carry.

But he had to save that line of thought for another time, Nym and Shana were already preparing for the next round. Shana would face them both at the same time.

"Two versus one now? Well, I gotta say it sounds fun." They were most likely still at a disadvantage though. "So, Nym, as you just saw I'm pretty new at this fighting thing, so bear with me, please." That was assuming she already had experience fighting but she literally had just been in a battle and Edwin knew virtually nothing about her. Assuming she was inexperienced based on her age could prove bad for someone's health, especially when there were magic powers involved. And she had a Shardblade.

Shana smiled when they agreed, wondered if she had a chance to beat both of them. It depended on their strategy, and it depended on their skills. She couldn't suppress her excitement when she hoped they would provide a challenge. She liked a good challenge the moment when everything depended on your body on your previous training and on nothing else.

She loosened her shoulders and distributed her weight evenly, made sure she had a good stance and could see both of them. Edwin was using a weapon with the same reach as hers, Nym would need to get closer to be able to hit. So she needed to try to keep Nym away, so that she couldn't use her rapier effectively and she needed to avoid getting close enough that she couldn't use her staff anymore. Edwin had the same surges like Rob, so, she swallowed and pushed the thought away. If he wanted to, he could end the whole thing with nothing more than a thought.

Training, Shana, she reminded herself. Your goal is to fight as long as possible, to teach, not to end this within the first seconds. Nym and Edwin seemed both inexperienced, a longer fight might help them more, than if she tried to get rid of them as soon as possible. Shana took a deep breath and inhaled, reviewd different strategies against several opponents. Most of them were based on reducing the number of your enemies as quickly as you could, if she changed that part, it would be interesting.

Lifting her arms she made sure her hair was bound back tightly and then closed her hands around her weapon, offering them the first attack.

@Eluvianii @Aragorn

So, reading through your posts, I feel like Shana is (a lot) better than your characters. I'll try to keep this fun anyway, balancing her skills versus avoiding everything, so that we can write a nice scene together, but should you feel like she either avoids too much or gets hit too often, then just tell me and I can adjust it accordingly.

Something irl: I'll spend this weekend at a castle starting today (my thursday afternoon/ evening = your thursday morning/ afternoon), and I am not sure yet, if I've got any kind of useful connection or not. If I do, I'll try to keep up with this and reply, but should I vanish, then just know that I'm back (my) sunday and will latest reply then.

8 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Edwin thought for a moment. Why did she have such a heavy load on her shoulders? They were supposed to be a team and share that burden. Risk herself to beat her enemies more quickly? Whichever way he saw it, it was more than any of them were supposed to carry.

But he had to save that line of thought for another time, Nym and Shana were already preparing for the next round. Shana would face them both at the same time.

"Two versus one now? Well, I gotta say it sounds fun." They were most likely still at a disadvantage though. "So, Nym, as you just saw I'm pretty new at this fighting thing, so bear with me, please." That was assuming she already had experience fighting but she literally had just been in a battle and Edwin knew virtually nothing about her. Assuming she was inexperienced based on her age could prove bad for someone's health, especially when there were magic powers involved. And she had a Shardblade.

"You're good." Nym said to Edwin.  To Shana she asked "We using surges too?"  Her lashing could do wonders.  Then she saw Shana letting her have the first move, and gestured to Edwin to go right, she'd take the left.  She ran and swung a underhand strike at Shana, @Sorana @Eluvianii

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

Shana smiled when they agreed, wondered if she had a chance to beat both of them. It depended on their strategy, and it depended on their skills. She couldn't suppress her excitement when she hoped they would provide a challenge. She liked a good challenge the moment when everything depended on your body on your previous training and on nothing else.

She loosened her shoulders and distributed her weight evenly, made sure she had a good stance and could see both of them. Edwin was using a weapon with the same reach as hers, Nym would need to get closer to be able to hit. So she needed to try to keep Nym away, so that she couldn't use her rapier effectively and she needed to avoid getting close enough that she couldn't use her staff anymore. Edwin had the same surges like Rob, so, she swallowed and pushed the thought away. If he wanted to, he could end the whole thing with nothing more than a thought.

Training, Shana, she reminded herself. Your goal is to fight as long as possible, to teach, not to end this within the first seconds. Nym and Edwin seemed both inexperienced, a longer fight might help them more, than if she tried to get rid of them as soon as possible. Shana took a deep breath and inhaled, reviewd different strategies against several opponents. Most of them were based on reducing the number of your enemies as quickly as you could, if she changed that part, it would be interesting.

Lifting her arms she made sure her hair was bound back tightly and then closed her hands around her weapon, offering them the first attack.

@Eluvianii @Aragorn

You get to spend time in a castle!?!  Why didn't you bring me!?!

Edited by Aragorn

9 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

You get to spend time in a castle!?!  Why didn't you bring me!?!

You're always happy to come along ^_^ It's a beautiful one. Small, but beautiful.

I'll wait with my reply for Eluvianii, so that you have a change to act strategically.

Spoiler

Jugendburg-Hessenstein-gGmbH__t11563b.jpg.d6cc7036ed692f6110c69d8d8a6a9f65.jpg

Edited by Sorana

50 minutes ago, AonEne said:

That’s unfortunate! But hey, have fun being Sorana if you’re there for LARPing. :D 

I am and I will have :D

Three days of nearly unstopped rp. I love that hobby.

Edited by Sorana

Lucky Europeans- they have storming pubs that are older than the entire History of the US. Good Luck Sora!

James sat down on his bed, and gazed out the window. "This certainly has been an experience." He said to himself,  and he added for the Nightwatcher's sake- "I promise to keep the sword safe. It's too dangerous for mortal hands." 

26 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Lucky Europeans- they have storming pubs that are older than the entire History of the US. Good Luck Sora!

Thank you!

:D my village is over 1250 years old... and compared to those around it's rather young...

Edited by Sorana

On 11/6/2019 at 0:45 PM, AonEne said:
On 11/6/2019 at 0:09 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Everyone has the ability to be in the PM if they so choose. If they don’t want to be in it, then that is their choice to make.

If we want everyone to have a say in the plot and the worldbuilding, then shouldn’t everyone be in the PM where those things are discussed?

The required approval can come from the polls. And while it might not look like we’re close, the limit creeps up on you faster than you’d think. :P Especially as new members arrive and old ones go, the count will fluctuate. I don’t want to risk it. 

We can make a new PM if it fills up. Or we could switch to a thread, if we get too many.

I would rather that polls be in-thread (or in-PM), working something like this (example) 

I don’t understand where you’re coming from, to be honest. There is nothing that inhibits discussion in header polls. Anyone can discuss the questions at any point in time.

You can’t suggest new options, which can make compromise nearly impossible.

If they want to change their vote, then they can mention it and it will be made note of. 

People don’t tend to post the reasoning for their votes in the thread. And asking why people aren’t vote for your preferred option would make me sound like a spoiled child asking why people don’t want to play with them. <_<

The way you suggested sounds like it would actually be much harder and more annoying to manage.

It would indeed be less convenient, that is true. However, I feel the benefits are worth the costs.

We’d have to keep track of the score, of who had voted already, of how many people had voted, etc.

Hopefully we wouldn’t need to keep track exactly– one side or the other will be the obvious majority. If there isn’t an obvious majority, a compromise ought to be made.

For certain polls – ones with multiple mutually exclusive options, for instance – it might indeed be better if the polling were to be done through a header poll. In these instances, discussion would first decide on what the options would be, and then a poll would be created.

Plus it would take up space in the RP; and there would be people who ignored it because it didn’t directly pertain to them (some people only react when tagged). Up at the top, it’s infinitely easier to notice and to keep track of. 

And a poll is better? :huh: People don’t see it unless they scroll up to the top(which I, at least, almost never do) or unless someone mentions it in thread.

Firstly, I’m going to be straight here, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll have many unanimous votes. Our objective is to have a majority vote, where we please as many people as we can. 

People don’t necessarily all have to agree that the idea we choose is the best one, they just have to be able to accept the idea.

That is already the case. 

That more than one person is contributing to the plot worldbuilding? :huh: The closest anyone has come is Sorana, with the seedstones. But that was only one thing, and wasn’t even written directly for the plot.

...still not sure what you mean. We have talked about plot extensively. 

We’ve talked about plot, but no one has ever made a suggestion for a modification to one of my plot posts.

I’m 95% certain the words ‘singer features’ were in there, because I remember thinking about them when I made the poll. 

It’s possible they were in there. But I distinctly remember that the main point of the option being that Voidbringers would eventually become singers. 

The point is that it wasn’t actively voted against, and – as I mentioned earlier – was actually decided for at an earlier date.

Fixed, unchanging…? :huh: Things that are part of canon. 

Really? *surprise* My main objections so far have been defending canon.

I see. It seems that the problem may be a different understanding of what counts as final. And, potentially, different ideas about how changes should be proposed.

Maybe I should have phrased this as ‘different ideas about what is canon.’

Which is not allowed, and hasn’t been for quite some time. 

*sigh* And it happened anyways.  :rolleyes:

Then that’s your personal preference. Characters are the factor around which roleplays are built, however, so not writing them is presumably one of the reasons why people were ruffled. Anyway, that’s irrelevant. 

… Are you upset that I didn’t accept Cassie’s offer of conversation? If so, I apologize. That was a generous offer, and I feel guilty that I haven’t accepted it yet.

Then can we have him get captured? :) I don’t want to slow down Leona and the rest any more than we already have, so it would be great if you could post. I understand if you can’t think of anything, I’ve had those days too, so you could also just give me a rough outline of Sheln’s actions and I can write them. 

If you decide to write Sheln’s perspective on the Voidbringers, great. If not, great. We can make it work either way. 

That would be good, if you’re willing.

Sheln would attempt to overpower Leona and Cassie using the sword. At some point, he’ll get hit with something that leaves him stuck in the Physical somehow… I’m not entirely sure what. Probably something that disrupts his ability to draw Light from his perpendicularity, potentially something to do with the Seattle perpendicularity.

Shana was letting them have the first move. Nym made a gesture and went for the left, Edwin got the message and started running for the right flank. When they got close he swung trying to hit Shana on the back.

Holy storms, that place is beautiful! And so much green. Well, have fun, Sorana. Don't even worry about this if you can't reply, enjoying something like that always takes priority.

Oh, by the way, Edwin only shares one Surge with Rob which is Cohesion. The other is Transportation but he won't be using that anytime soon.