AonEne

10 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

Evelyn sat down on the couch and waited there awkwardly for a moment. Eventually she said, "I can go get books if you want. And some more food."

"I'll come with you." Nym said, she needed to move right now, it felt weird to sit right after a battle. I will go and do stuff.... Lopen said.  "You go do that."  Nym replied absentmindedly.  Lopen zipped off, not caring about her unattentiveness. @Hope Spren

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

"I'll come with you." Nym said, she needed to move right now, it felt weird to sit right after a battle. I will go and do stuff.... Lopen said.  "You go do that."  Nym replied absentmindedly.  Lopen zipped off, not caring about her unattentiveness.

"Divide and conquer? I'll get the books." There were more people in the way of the kitchens. "Unless you want to get the books while I get the food?"

16 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

"Divide and conquer? I'll get the books." There were more people in the way of the kitchens. "Unless you want to get the books while I get the food?"

"Sure."  Nym headed towards the kitchen, grabbing food left and right.  Trying to avoid people at all costs.  She got back to the couch and waited for Evelyn to get back, biting her lip. @Hope Spren

Edited by Aragorn

On 03/11/2019 at 4:21 AM, Blessing of Potency said:

“Well. Shana told me that this bracelet.” She holds up her arm to show him, “isn’t actually a bracelet. She also told me that I need to say some sort of oath to get it to work, I guess, that’s what I need your help with.”

“The oath?” Rob asked, examining the bracelet. Shana was right.

“You’re becoming a Radiant,” Rob said finally. He was a little excited, though he wouldn’t dare show it.

“The oath is something each of us swear, to become a full Radiant. Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination.” He repeated the first Ideal.

“As for what Order - which type of Radiant you are - I have no idea. Maybe Ben or Doc could help, they know a lot about this sort of stuff.”

He paused, staying looking at the battlefield. Or, what was left of it after his clean-up.

“But it’s not just a matter of saying it. You have to believe it, beyond anything else, with your heart. Otherwise they are just words.”

And you have to be broken, too, he added silently. And now Ashslyn was part of them too. Broken, and yet, Radiant.

I think everyone has voted, and we have pretty clear majorities. Voidbringers cannot come back to humanity after being corrupted (did our captive die in the action or do we still have them?), and the timeskip will officially be twenty years long. I’m going to make another poll real quick, just one question that’s pretty simple, have fun with that. 

12 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

"Sure."  Nym headed towards the kitchen, grabbing food left and right.  Trying to avoid people at all costs.  She got back to the couch and waited for Evelyn to get back, biting her lip.

Evelyn sped up the stairs and into her room, thankfully not seeing anyone in the hallway. She grabbed the book Nym had been reading fairly quickly, but took her time selecting one for herself. The one she'd been reading before had fire, and she didn't want to think about that right now. She ended up selecting three of her favorite books they had there - ones with absolutely no mentions of fire - as well as a couple more good fiction books for Nym, in case she wanted to read something else. Evelyn hesitated before leaving her room, however, not quite wanting to rejoin the others. She hadn't looked in a mirror, but it would probably be fairly obvious to anyone who looked at her that she'd been crying. But Nym was waiting for her, so she pushed her trepidation aside and headed back downstairs where Nym had already arrived with food.

5 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

Evelyn sped up the stairs and into her room, thankfully not seeing anyone in the hallway. She grabbed the book Nym had been reading fairly quickly, but took her time selecting one for herself. The one she'd been reading before had fire, and she didn't want to think about that right now. She ended up selecting three of her favorite books they had there - ones with absolutely no mentions of fire - as well as a couple more good fiction books for Nym, in case she wanted to read something else. Evelyn hesitated before leaving her room, however, not quite wanting to rejoin the others. She hadn't looked in a mirror, but it would probably be fairly obvious to anyone who looked at her that she'd been crying. But Nym was waiting for her, so she pushed her trepidation aside and headed back downstairs where Nym had already arrived with food.

"Hello, again, it's been so long."  Nym said with a grin to Evelyn.  She had felt very awkward sitting there amongst crowds of people she barely knew.  "What books did you bring?" Nym asked, looking at the titles. @Hope Spren

4 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

"Hello, again, it's been so long."  Nym said with a grin to Evelyn.  She had felt very awkward sitting there amongst crowds of people she barely knew.  "What books did you bring?" Nym asked, looking at the titles.

Oh, storms. You're going to make me list all of them? Well okay . . .

"There's Artemis Fowl, Septemus Heap, your LotR book, and - of course - Harry Potter. Plus a couple of fairy tale retellings that I found. They're by an author called" - she flipped the book around so she could read the name - "Marissa Meyer? Ever heard of her before?" Evelyn asked, looking up at Nym for the first time.

I haven't yet, but I want to. The local library only had the first last time I went, but I keep on checking for the other books. I keep on having Heartless recommended to me as well, but the library doesn't have that one either. Have you read it?

You recognize those books? Consider the liking returned :)

1 minute ago, Hope Spren said:

I haven't yet, but I want to. The local library only had the first last time I went, but I keep on checking for the other books. I keep on having Heartless recommended to me as well, but the library doesn't have that one either. Have you read it?

You recognize those books? Consider the liking returned :)

Oh noes! I hope it gets them. I have read Heartless, it’s pretty good. Not as good as the Chronicles, or her current series, but fun. I recognize the others too, but didn’t bother mentioning Harry Potter because it’s Harry Potter and haven’t read Artemis Fowl. (I did try once, maybe I should give it another go - I hear lots of good things.) :) 

Just now, AonEne said:

Oh noes! I hope it gets them. I have read Heartless, it’s pretty good. Not as good as the Chronicles, or her current series, but fun. I recognize the others too, but didn’t bother mentioning Harry Potter because it’s Harry Potter and haven’t read Artemis Fowl. (I did try once, maybe I should give it another go - I hear lots of good things.) :) 

Me tooooo! I really hope they have the next book when I go to the library. Maybe it was just checked out?

Artemis Fowl is pretty good. Book six is kind of weird, but the others are great! Warning: If you end up taking another shot at the books and liking them, I'd advise not watching the movie that got made for it recently.

1 hour ago, Hope Spren said:

"There's Artemis Fowl, Septemus Heap, your LotR book, and - of course - Harry Potter. Plus a couple of fairy tale retellings that I found. They're by an author called" - she flipped the book around so she could read the name - "Marissa Meyer? Ever heard of her before?" Evelyn asked, looking up at Nym for the first time.

"Cool, I read her Renegades series, it was pretty good."  Nym selected the top book, it happened to be the second Renegades book and asked, "Have you read the Rangers Apprentice series?"  She loved those books, and wanted to see if Evelyn had too. @Hope Spren

I actually have read all those books mentioned, Heartless was pretty good, I started Cinder, but couldn't get past the first page. Should I try again?  I started Artemis fowl a couple years back, but I don't know, I didn't finish it.  I LOVED Renegades too.  By the way, is Arrimis Fowl worth reading?

Edited by Aragorn

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

"Cool, I read her Renegades series, it was pretty good."  Nym selected the top book, it happened to be the second Renegades book and asked, "Have you read the Rangers Apprentice series?"  She loved those books, and wanted to see if Evelyn had too.

"Rangers Apprentice, by John Flanagan, right? Yeah. I've read most of the first book. Skipped a few of the end pages. Stalled a bit at The . . . Burning . . . Bridge." Her small smile turned fragile. "Managed to get most of the way through before putting it down. Haven't quite gotten around to picking it up again."

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

I actually have read all those books mentioned, Heartless was pretty good, I started Cinder, but couldn't get past the first page. Should I try again?  I started Artemis fowl a couple years back, but I don't know, I didn't finish it.  I LOVED Renegades too.  By the way, is Arrimis Fowl worth reading?

It really depends on what you mean by worth reading. I think it's a good fantasy story, and I really enjoyed reading it. It's one that I've gone back to several times and still like reading now. It also got me interested in some of Eoin Colfer's other works - like Airman - that I really enjoyed. If you've tried reading it before and it's not your type of book, then that's fine, but I'd suggest finishing at least the first book.

Cinder was an interesting read for me, but I think part of the difficulty that I had getting through it was that I picked it up as a retelling of Cinderella. There was a lot less of that then I was expecting, which like I said before, led to difficulties with reading it. I can't really recommend picking it up again if I don't know the original reason for putting it down, but I thought it was an interesting read at the very least. The book (and author) had some interesting ideas with the characters and setting.

51 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

"Rangers Apprentice, by John Flanagan, right? Yeah. I've read most of the first book. Skipped a few of the end pages. Stalled a bit at The . . . Burning . . . Bridge." Her small smile turned fragile. "Managed to get most of the way through before putting it down. Haven't quite gotten around to picking it up again."

"Once you get through the Burning bridge, and some of the Icebound land, the story is one of the best I've ever read."  Nym said.  It was getting late, she should get to sleep soon. @Hope Spren

Should we just wrap thos day up, or are we going to have the party continue?

Edited by Aragorn

6 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

"Once you get through the Burning bridge, and some of the Icebound land, the story is one of the best I've ever read."  Nym said.  It was getting late, she should get to sleep soon.

"That's good to know." Good to know that all Evelyn had to do to get to an amazing story was finish a book that literally had burning n the title. "I'll need to look into picking it back up again once I get home."

We might want to stay on the same day until the fight with Cassie, Leona, and that voidbringer is wrapped up.

Edited by Hope Spren

Opinions on Cinder: While I highly enjoyed it, it’s true that the fractured fairy tale parts were more minor. There are some cool parallels, but for the most part it and the other stories are their own thing. 

Thoughts on the Ranger’s Apprentice series: It...wasn’t the worst thing I’ve ever read? *buries face in hands* I read most of the series, but didn’t really like it. (Sorry, Po, Ara, and anyone else who likes it...) 

If it was checked out, hopefully they get it back in! And noted, for the movie warning. 

Sorry about the delay with Cassie, Leona, and Sheln. Xino, I’m gonna tag you again. 

@xinoehp512 

13 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

"Well, I'm learning to use this one." he showed her the naginata, it was basically a mix between a staff and a sword, with the blade in one end. Though he changed it for another one that wasn't covered in blood. "As for surges, I can barely use Cohesion, but I'll try. So, umm, how do we go about this?" Thinking about it, it was his first time actually doing combat training with someone else. He usually spent most of his time trying to melt rocks, liquefy the floor or practicing with a weapon alone, not confident enough to train with the others.

"Here you are." She handed him the corresponding training weapon. "I should be able to help you with it, usually my staff has two blades - " she grimaced, held up the training weapon in her hand, "but I might have destroyed my training weapon, and unless you prefer sharp blades, I'll go with a staff for now."

She headed over to a shelf and handed him a little bag full of crystals. "Feel free to throw at me, what you can." She told him, "Unless we use sharp blades serious injuries aren't to be expected and should something go wrong, we've got Ben as backup." He seemed insecure, so she tried to scatter his worries, hoped to show him, that she could deal with whatever he chose to do. And she chould. Worst case was that the training ended like her duel with Rob, and that was highly unlikely. If only because she didn't plan to use Division at all. Depending on his skills she maybe would even refrain from using Abrasion as well. There was no use if he ended on the ground within a second. She wanted to move and if it meant to restrain herself, then she could do it. She had feared that nobody would agree to train with her again, not after she and Rob had nearly killed each other. That they had agreed to go all out - she shook her head to shove the memory away.

Bouncing slightly on her feet she moved to the empty space in the middle of the room and waited for him to join her. "So basically you try to get at me, and I try to get at you, and once we're tired we can stop." She distributed her weight evenly between her feet. "You can start it, once you're ready."

I don't mind having the time to write a little of this training, so don't stress yourself, Ene.

@AonEne

I didn't like the Ranger's apprentice either. Didn't really speak to me.

But I loved Artemis Fowl. Reread it several times and it never disappointed me. The later books got a little strange, as it often is with series, but the first ones are great.

Edited by Sorana

I feel so bad for Ben...we need to call over Ax for some healing... 

Also I just wanted to let you all know that I’ve claimed the name Alyssa for TKNG. It’s mine now. I can see her already and she is mine and she is Alyssa, so there. 

Also wow, nobody found the secret. I guess I don’t know what else I was expecting though. :P

9 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Also I just wanted to let you all know that I’ve claimed the name Alyssa for TKNG. It’s mine now. I can see her already and she is mine and she is Alyssa, so there. 

Did we decide on the type of Investiture for TKNG? I have basically no idea what I'm going to play, but then I want to go on with TKND at least until we've finished Rob's arc (or at least until Shana finds out about that) more or less, because that will be so sad and I'm dreading it and looking forward to it...

9 hours ago, Hope Spren said:

"That's good to know." Good to know that all Evelyn had to do to get to an amazing story was finish a book that literally had burning n the title. "I'll need to look into picking it back up again once I get home."

Nym realized her mistake a split second too late, Evelyn, fire.  She groaned inwardly, she apologized "Sorry 'bout that,"  She hoped Lopen were here, so he could interrupt and she would have to talk to him.  She finally settled on just starting her book. @Hope Spren

1 minute ago, Aragorn said:

Nym realized her mistake a split second too late, Evelyn, fire.  She groaned inwardly, she apologized "Sorry 'bout that,"  She hoped Lopen were here, so he could interrupt and she would have to talk to him.  She finally settled on just starting her book.

"It's fine." It was true. What Nym had said was fine. It was the memories that were the problem. Memories of the red light, the crackling flame, the screams- Evelyn hurriedly picked up a book and started reading. Well, a kind of reading. She only got past a couple of words before ending up staring at the page, trying hard not to think.

3 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

"It's fine." It was true. What Nym had said was fine. It was the memories that were the problem. Memories of the red light, the crackling flame, the screams- Evelyn hurriedly picked up a book and started reading. Well, a kind of reading. She only got past a couple of words before ending up staring at the page, trying hard not to think.

Nym wasn't really reading, she could tell Evelyn was doing the same.  Though the book was good, she just didn't want to think, to go into that state where you're not really processing anything.  Nym kept shifting her weight, she wanted to be moving, but Evelyn needed the company.  At least, that's what she told herself. @Hope Spren

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

Did we decide on the type of Investiture for TKNG? I have basically no idea what I'm going to play, but then I want to go on with TKND at least until we've finished Rob's arc (or at least until Shana finds out about that) more or less, because that will be so sad and I'm dreading it and looking forward to it...

Whatever Investiture works, I guess. 

58 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

...trying hard not to think. 

51 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

...she just didn't want to think, to go into that state where you're not really processing anything. 

Cassie can confirm that this works, you guys!