Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

1 hour ago, Stormlightsong said:

I have updated my character with these suggestions and I’m eager to know what you think.

Hello! You say you want your character to have DA connections. What type of DA denizen do you think your character would have a connection with? Researcher? Someone from Acquisitions (spike gathering, subject luring, etc)? A spy? This will help us give you some suggestions!

Edited by ZincAboutIt

9 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hello! You say you want your character to have DA connections. What type of DA denizen do you think your character would have a connection with? Researcher? Someone from Acquisitions (spike gathering, subject luring, etc)? A spy? This will help us give you some suggestions!

Bacchus is really good at fighting so they were probably hired as a hitman.

16 hours ago, Stormlightsong said:

Awesome! We’d love to RP this recruitment with you if you’d be interested. It would make the most sense, I think, if you were to get looped into a subset of the Acquisitions Dept under their Containment division - hunting down and recapturing dangerous escaped creatures or experiments. This seems like the best fit, as the DA doesn’t really have dedicated “hit men” the way other organizations might. Basically all members are very good at killing people if needed :P 

7 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Awesome! We’d love to RP this recruitment with you if you’d be interested. It would make the most sense, I think, if you were to get looped into a subset of the Acquisitions Dept under their Containment division - hunting down and recapturing dangerous escaped creatures or experiments. This seems like the best fit, as the DA doesn’t really have dedicated “hit men” the way other organizations might. Basically all members are very good at killing people if needed :P 

The problem is, I don’t know how Bacchus would introduce themself, because they can’t speak or write they can only mime

On 12/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, Stormlightsong said:

If Bacchus is going to be hunting escaped experiments, I have a character that Bacchus might be hunting. I think that that would be a fun arc....

*Screams in insane allomantic Kandra*

Hello all! I’ve realized my character (Perses) has a bit of an issue. I’ve built my character to be interesting and three dimensional, but have not given him room to grow. Currently my character is only in the Wickeillow Manor RP, and it seems likely that I’ll just keep him there until that side plot concludes. Now, it’s honestly not that unlikely that my character will just get killed off during that RP, which would solve my current issue. The other alternative, if my character happens to survive, I think I would want my character to somehow get corrupted and join the DA, getting a hold of a hemalurgic A-steel spike. This would put them from pretty solid to really powerful, and that tinge of evil could keep my character interesting, potentially acting as a villain or arch enemy of a character or side plot.

Now, this is a far off thing, as the Wickwillow Manor RP is likely to take a while. I just wanted to get the ball rolling as well as get some advice. 

What are y’all’s thoughts? I’d especially like feedback from anyone in the Wickwillow RP, so @Ashbringer, @Voidus, @ZincAboutIt, @Ookla the Nerdy, @Ookla the Quark, @Sorana, @mathiau, and @anyone else that I missed. But then again, any feedback from anyone would be much appreciated.

Edited by Ookla the Headmuncher

7 hours ago, Ookla the Headmuncher said:

Now, it’s honestly not that unlikely that my character will just get killed off during that RP, which would solve my current issue.

To start with this: If you want him dead - it can be done. It's your character and with some planning he can easily go out a hero protecting someone else, get eaten by a monster or killed by another PC.

But, more seriously, I'm not sure if killing him off is a good way to go. You mention that you would like to corrupt him. Did you already think about the 'in what way' part? What part of him will be the 'tinge of evil'? I know that rp can lead to a lot of things, but it helps me if I've got a rough idea what attribute of my character's character I want to change. Which part of their personality, is maybe a better phrasing?

Also, @Ookla the Headmuncher, if you don’t  want him to die because you want to RP him through more eras, I will avoid killing him off. I’m not going to just kill characters and push that as required just because my plot is dangerous. In fact I won’t do it unless someone is alright with that or wants to make it happen. So just to let you and anyone else know - your character is not doomed to die unless you’re interested in raising stakes to that level of possibility. I want people to have fun, not think “oh gosh I’ll need to make a new character probably.” Unless that’s you’re idea of fun.

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

To start with this: If you want him dead - it can be done. It's your character and with some planning he can easily go out a hero protecting someone else, get eaten by a monster or killed by another PC.

But, more seriously, I'm not sure if killing him off is a good way to go. You mention that you would like to corrupt him. Did you already think about the 'in what way' part? What part of him will be the 'tinge of evil'? I know that rp can lead to a lot of things, but it helps me if I've got a rough idea what attribute of my character's character I want to change. Which part of their personality, is maybe a better phrasing?

Honestly, I don’t know. Currently my character is “worked for bad people, but isn’t really a bad person themselves, and just wants to belong” type character. And that’s a weird archetype to try to corrupt. My character doesn’t necessarily seek power, and really just wants to feel valued. So while there can be some exploitation there to make them a minor DA person, with a bit of lying to them, it wouldn’t necessarily justify having Perses be particularly high up, especially high up enough to give them a steel spike. So I’m in a bit of a pickle.

Large parts of the DA tend more towards moral ambiguity than downright evil, Lita and Laurelai for example are two of the most active DA characters and I'm not sure that either one of them has ever actually killed anyone on screen. The DA also isn't particularly limited for resources so a basic allomantic spike is not really out of reach even for a minor member. Perses would probably tend pretty well to the Counterintelligence department actually given that a lot of what they do is just spying really, which he seems quite suited for.

29 minutes ago, Ookla the Headmuncher said:

My character doesn’t necessarily seek power, and really just wants to feel valued.

So this is just an idea and I'm not mad if you don't like it. ^_^

The part about him, where he wants to feel valued, I would use that. You can either stress it, turn it into an "I will be mad if you don't value me, I need to be valued in order to function" (exaggerating so that you can understand more easily what I'm aiming at). Or you go the other way and have him be like "I don't need to feel valued, I know that I'm good and useful". Or you go along a third path and have him find a plce where he feels valued and is therefore satisfied. All three possibilities offer a way for him to change and to evolve and you can easily use them for a corruption arc, too.

"I have/ need/ want more power, so I don't need your validation." for example (although that one doesn't really feel like him to me, but I hope you can understand what I'm aiming at.)

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

Large parts of the DA tend more towards moral ambiguity than downright evil, Lita and Laurelai for example are two of the most active DA characters and I'm not sure that either one of them has ever actually killed anyone on screen. The DA also isn't particularly limited for resources so a basic allomantic spike is not really out of reach even for a minor member. Perses would probably tend pretty well to the Counterintelligence department actually given that a lot of what they do is just spying really, which he seems quite suited for.

So this is interesting. There’s potential for a case that Perses doesn’t really need to be corrupted to be part of the DA, but honestly I think it’s necessary if he ends up going down that path: I don’t think my guy’s ever killed anyone, past maybe self defense, and havin a hemalurgic spike quite literally implies brutal murder, so he would need to be chill with straight up murder, which I don’t think he is right now. The previous not quite Ghostbloods organization that he was a part of Cosmere-wide (where he ended up gettin his breaths) were more of a terrorist-ish organization that did bad things for a presumed good cause. While the DA is sorta like that, my vibe was that they were more a power hungry bunch top of the food chain type group, basically a mafia. I might be wrong tho.

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

So this is just an idea and I'm not mad if you don't like it. ^_^

The part about him, where he wants to feel valued, I would use that. You can either stress it, turn it into an "I will be mad if you don't value me, I need to be valued in order to function" (exaggerating so that you can understand more easily what I'm aiming at). Or you go the other way and have him be like "I don't need to feel valued, I know that I'm good and useful". Or you go along a third path and have him find a plce where he feels valued and is therefore satisfied. All three possibilities offer a way for him to change and to evolve and you can easily use them for a corruption arc, too.

"I have/ need/ want more power, so I don't need your validation." for example (although that one doesn't really feel like him to me, but I hope you can understand what I'm aiming at.)

I like the idea of something finally breaking him and deciding that the only way he can be valued by others is making them respect and fear him. Currently he’s had a life of poverty, petty crime, getting wrapped in a few minor gang activity on Scadrial, and then joining some grander cause Cosmere-wide organization. From that organization, he made some somewhat friends that managed to get into the Alleyverse, and promptly disappeared from his existence due to the Forging. He’s had a lot of hardship, and the one place where Perses felt valued disappeared from his life.

However, Alleycity is a kind of city of hope for him, as it is a way to fully start over. He has no loose ends anymore, nothing to lose, and nothing to go back to. There would have to be some big event that lost him something significant (something that he probably doesn’t know he still had to lose) before he would give in to the darkness. The only thing I could think of would be his feruchemy/allomancy, but that’s more likely to just make him give up rather than power hungry. But I dunno. There’s potential there.

Edited by Ookla the Headmuncher

8 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Also, @Ookla the Headmuncher, if you don’t  want him to die because you want to RP him through more eras, I will avoid killing him off. I’m not going to just kill characters and push that as required just because my plot is dangerous. In fact I won’t do it unless someone is alright with that or wants to make it happen. So just to let you and anyone else know - your character is not doomed to die unless you’re interested in raising stakes to that level of possibility. I want people to have fun, not think “oh gosh I’ll need to make a new character probably.” Unless that’s you’re idea of fun.

Speaking of this, I'm fine if you try to kill Malsam, she will certainly get at least one broken bone, probably multiple compound fractrues.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Headmuncher said:

So this is interesting. There’s potential for a case that Perses doesn’t really need to be corrupted to be part of the DA, but honestly I think it’s necessary if he ends up going down that path: I don’t think my guy’s ever killed anyone, past maybe self defense, and havin a hemalurgic spike quite literally implies brutal murder, so he would need to be chill with straight up murder, which I don’t think he is right now. 

implies, yes. requires...not quite, not really.

31 minutes ago, Ookla the Headmuncher said:

Weeeeeellll, there would have to be very specific circumstances in which a spike does not equal murder.

Yeah, but there's a bit of a disconnect. I think what @Ookla the Quark is trying to say is that it's easier to rationalize than your character actually killing someone.

22 minutes ago, Ookla the Nerdy said:

Yeah, but there's a bit of a disconnect. I think what @Ookla the Quark is trying to say is that it's easier to rationalize than your character actually killing someone.

So it’s worth noting that it might be rationalizable for a non-Scadrian, but the taboo of Hemalurgy might be a bit much for current Perses.

Lita, also an Era 2 Scadrian, meanwhile gets a new spike inserted before going out to party :P Just another day.

Then again, is anything taboo after a few years in a blood cult? 

Another option here of course is to have him join the DA and spike him after a little while, or I suppose perhaps maybe work tangentially, as all officially recruited do in fact get a loyalty spike in addition to any fun extras. But if he would be interested in working for a person in particular rather than the whole organization at first, I could definitely be of use here. And then you’d have lots of time to sort of whittle away at those pesky qualms while he gets fun tidbits and interesting perks.

@Ookla the Headmuncher

16 hours ago, ExoticAlmond said:

What merit level would the different Heightenings from Warbreaker be?

Hello! Welcome to the Alleyverse, I've been hesitant to put specific abilities to each of the merit levels just because they're intended to be more flexible than that. Someone very skilled with an ability would have it as a higher merit than someone who was brand new to it. Heightenings are also difficult because they come with Awakening in addition to the passive abilities and there is variance in how many Breaths one has, how skilled at using them they are, etc.

Generally I would suggest making an attempt to place them yourself, and if we need to the mods can discuss. Also please try to keep discussions of characters to this thread, the other one is mostly just for the actual sheet submission and mod responses.

2 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Hello! Welcome to the Alleyverse, I've been hesitant to put specific abilities to each of the merit levels just because they're intended to be more flexible than that. Someone very skilled with an ability would have it as a higher merit than someone who was brand new to it. Heightenings are also difficult because they come with Awakening in addition to the passive abilities and there is variance in how many Breaths one has, how skilled at using them they are, etc.

Generally I would suggest making an attempt to place them yourself, and if we need to the mods can discuss. Also please try to keep discussions of characters to this thread, the other one is mostly just for the actual sheet submission and mod responses.

Ok I will keep questions and such to this thread sorry for that.

and thanks for answering my question.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

….has anyone made a Sleepless character? There’s a whole host (pun hyper intended) of possibilities with playing as one, and I am very close to trying to do something with that.

Not to my knowledge, and definitely no one currently active. It does sound like a fun idea! Feel free to mock up a character sheet and we can figure out how it’ll work out together if you need advice  :]