Fantasy World planning

xinoehp512

Just now, beantheboy12 said:

So, is the index for fantasy world characters the same? Is it Sanderson magic? Can I just send one of my characters here?

It's a closed system, which has it's own magic system.  You could I guess send a normal character here, but he won't be able to get out until the end of the era (by which time Algorath will be in the last battle :)).  You can catch up by reading the first post in this thread.  It tells magic systems, details of the word, and current characters.  

It's really interesting.  I'm enjoying it.

25 minutes ago, beantheboy12 said:

Could you quote the finalized index?

Also, there's no true index for scoring like there is in the normal Alleyverse thread. There's less rules here but characters do need to have community approval. Character sheets should be modeled off the ones linked in the Google doc in the OP. The most important step is explaining the why/how of their magic.

Just now, beantheboy12 said:

I haven't looked over that yet. Is the magic system soft?

Here is the link to the character sheets. You can find an explanation of the world and the magic here.

As far as hard/soft goes, it's a bit of a sliding scale. The hardest magic system is probably Ritual, the softest is a toss-up between the other two. Probably Natural magic is the softest. Ritual magic uses runes and an outside investiture source to manipulate the world around you. Anyone can do it, but it takes a long time to learn. Natural magic is gained via belief, which affects the cognitive realm and thus the physical, warping someone or something into an augmented, altered magical version of itself. Innate magic is something someone is born with, and can skew closer to Ritual or closer to Natural depending on your gender or really just your preference, since the gender split is somewhat malleable. 

I highly recommend glancing over the Google doc first and then asking any follow up questions. 

1 minute ago, beantheboy12 said:

Okay. Just got a lot of Shard stuff right now.

I understand! There isn't quite a huge rush to get in a character asap, but the sooner you get in the easier it will be to follow the storyline. No pressure though. It's all for fun, after all! ^_^

3 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Oh the way the rest of the alleyverse used to be.  No index, no numbers.  Just pure character Development.. 

Thoug keep in mind that this will be more pve orientated, unlike the main alleyverse.

5 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

I thought it was noonish, but I don't mind a time skip. I'm going to be busy most of today, but should be on in the late afternoon.

@Sorana @Chasmfiend#1

Take your time! I can only check on mobile now and then, but I will!

3 hours ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Yeah sorry about the time confusion. I had thought it was night for some storming reason.

It's alright. I realized I end up with a different situation than many others most of the time.

45 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

How do ley lines work? I don't see how the typical definition applies.

Personal idea:

Investure tends to pool at certain locations, which in the Cosmere creates perpendicularities. However, on Jörð the Investure is much more in motion, not staying in one place for long enough to actually start pooling. However, the pooling instead happens over longer distances, forming something like channels of Investure through the world. Where these channels intersect the Investure can stay for longer, and lakes form, which are the ley nodes.

Ley lines normally connect into this large network of rivers, and like rivers, can curve around, and aren't straight lines. These ley lines are often influenced by other forms of energy as well, such as large concentrations of living beings, like forests, lakes and islands. Cities can also draw ley lines towards them, but generally don't exist for long enough to have a real effect.

While the locations of ley lines is influenced by nature, as well as the layout of the cognitive and spiritual realms, the flows only change at a slow pace, which is why cities generally don't have ley lines going through them, they haven't existed for long enough to have a noticeable effect.

The actual strength of a ley line can differ as well. The largest are gigantic flows, and intersections between them carry enough power to create ley nodes with large amounts of dangerous manifestations of Natural magic, even without any cognitive influences (read, stories and belief) as aid, but these are rare, with only one or two per continent. On the other hand, a large number of ley lines are small enough that even most Yin-type Innates aren't capable of sensing them. Most ley lines are in between these two extremes though, and are often branches of the continental ley lines.

Just now, kenod said:

Personal idea:

Investure tends to pool at certain locations, which in the Cosmere creates perpendicularities. However, on Jörð the Investure is much more in motion, not staying in one place for long enough to actually start pooling. However, the pooling instead happens over longer distances, forming something like channels of Investure through the world. Where these channels intersect the Investure can stay for longer, and lakes form, which are the ley nodes.

Ley lines normally connect into this large network of rivers, and like rivers, can curve around, and aren't straight lines. These ley lines are often influenced by other forms of energy as well, such as large concentrations of living beings, like forests, lakes and islands. Cities can also draw ley lines towards them, but generally don't exist for long enough to have a real effect.

While the locations of ley lines is influenced by nature, as well as the layout of the cognitive and spiritual realms, the flows only change at a slow pace, which is why cities generally don't have ley lines going through them, they haven't existed for long enough to have a noticeable effect.

The actual strength of a ley line can differ as well. The largest are gigantic flows, and intersections between them carry enough power to create ley nodes with large amounts of dangerous manifestations of Natural magic, even without any cognitive influences (read, stories and belief) as aid, but these are rare, with only one or two per continent. On the other hand, a large number of ley lines are small enough that even most Yin-type Innates aren't capable of sensing them. Most ley lines are in between these two extremes though, and are often branches of the continental ley lines.

Sounds good to me.

@kenod I like it!

I'm fine with the minor godmod. @Vargo SeldonSeldonSeldonSeldonSeSeldSeldonSeldonSeldonSeldonSeSel ^ look what your name's done to my phone! I don't know what's happening....

I would like to say that it's okay if the rp moves a little slower. There's not a lot of reason to be pushing things along too fast. I personally would like a slower rp as I'm often busy, but I understand that I'm in the minority so you guys can go the pace you want...... I just might fall behind:-)

Edited by Steel Inquisitive

1 hour ago, kenod said:

Personal idea:

So are they more like rivers, or lakes? What happens at places that aren't on a ley line? 

1 minute ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

@Vargo Seldon I'm very lost...... What's going on?

I think they are going to the census? I guess Aldred is still asleep in the tavern??

Also, for anyone planning on referencing missing people, the little boy who ran around advertising the Half Moon Tavern, Fritz, is missing. He's one of the people who goes missing, which I am planning on having be the reason the group starts investigating purposefully. I am assuming that at least some of the group will be staying in/around the tavern.

58 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

I think they are going to the census? I guess Aldred is still asleep in the tavern??

Also, for anyone planning on referencing missing people, the little boy who ran around advertising the Half Moon Tavern, Fritz, is missing. He's one of the people who goes missing, which I am planning on having be the reason the group starts investigating purposefully. I am assuming that at least some of the group will be staying in/around the tavern.

I'm planning to have Janim stick around, because while they don't like the place, they do have a drive to protect people and taverns seem like a good place for that *cough* the waiter at the OJT *cough*

Edited by Invocation

14 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

@kenod I like it!

I'm fine with the minor godmod. @Vargo SeldonSeldonSeldonSeldonSeSeldSeldonSeldonSeldonSeldonSeSel ^ look what your name's done to my phone! I don't know what's happening....

I would like to say that it's okay if the rp moves a little slower. There's not a lot of reason to be pushing things along too fast. I personally would like a slower rp as I'm often busy, but I understand that I'm in the minority so you guys can go the pace you want...... I just might fall behind:-)

It's the overwhelming power of the Seldon :P.

13 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

@Vargo Seldon I'm very lost...... What's going on?

I guess I should stop moving people around huh :lol:.  We are on our way to the census building, a guy shot at me, I left, and began talking to the Thorstenson person.