Fantasy World planning

xinoehp512

3 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

@Chasmfiend#1

@Invocation quick question, is Janim still a bear? I can't keep track of all the bears!

Lol, I think we've gone with too many bears.

Also, I am kinda surprised how all the animal related characters are either bear, wolf, or wolf hybrid. Anyone else notice?

3 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Just missing Lilia and Chadwick I believe. Ahh, the poor owner of the Half Moon is going to have their work cut out for them pouring pints and serving... whatever it is that bears drink. :P 

@Chasmfiend#1 The tavern has a lovely patio perfect for bears

No worries, it's a root based drink with healthy dose of honey, just enough to get a bear thirsty for more.

5 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Just missing Lilia and Chadwick I believe. Ahh, the poor owner of the Half Moon is going to have their work cut out for them pouring pints and serving... whatever it is that bears drink. :P 

@Chasmfiend#1 The tavern has a lovely patio perfect for bears

Not entirely sure when we'll arrive, we're heading to the Census atm, we can either say that the person telling them about the tavern found them after that and do a small flashback, or just have to go there after the Census when they remember about it.
@Turtle373?

14 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Not too sure what you mean by your first question. The way I view large cities is that there are so many people believing so many disparate things that there is actually less of a chance for a Natural being to manifest there - usually. Some things, like the larger gods, or something like that, have enough people believing in them. But after living in large cities for years and years I've found that most people are socially atomized enough that getting enough group-belief together is hard. That's just my opinion though.

What about things related to the city itself? One thing common to the people that live there is that they live there. They're going to have beliefs in the city that are going to do something, at least. Conflicting beliefs are still transferring energy.

Not to mention statues, which almost anyone who sees will personify. That's just something that people do.

HA! Did it!

Spoiler

Name: Kuría Kur'son

Magic: Has the Natural ability to never age, can sense what will help people (Sometimes before they need it, which has saved people from broken pots before), can create clones of himself- at will -with the ability to teleport anywhere in the city, literally infectious smile, and never sleeps.

Skills: Helping people, never aging, being in several places at once

Backstory: Grew up an orphan with a constantly optimistic attitude, refusing to feel upset or sad or angry- even if he got hurt by the other children, he never stopped smiling. It was because the letter he'd gotten from his mother had asked him to always be happy. This led people to start believing he was never Sad, which slowly became true. Then he didn't hit puberty- he was just a late bloomer, until some of the adults and kids began spreading rumors that he'd never grow up- rumors that some began to  believe. Enough that he never really did reach puberty. Then he saw an old woman about to cross the street with a wagon coming. He helped her, saved her, then helped her cross safely and helped her smile. He began doing this all over the city, coming home late at night, making some wonder if he ever slept. Some began to believe he didn't need too, and it slowly became truth, alongside the growing legend of the boy who was always there to help when you truly needed it. He began to sense when people needed help, began to know where they were, and learned the city so well that to some, the reports of when he'd helped one person and then another didn't feel like anything a human could do. They began to claim he was a spirit, the angel of a child who had died long ago come to thank the city for providing for him for so long, began to believe that he could be in two different places at once, or more. 

Over time the legend became folklore, and he became the angelic spirit that they believed him to be, though he still holds his memories and hidden sorrow close at heart, it's more bittersweet now, and eh continues his life's work of helping those who need it inside of the city. If his clones leave, they die- if he leaves, he vanishes up to heaven. or so the story goes. So he truly is trapped in this city.

4 hours ago, kenod said:

Not entirely sure when we'll arrive, we're heading to the Census atm, we can either say that the person telling them about the tavern found them after that and do a small flashback, or just have to go there after the Census when they remember about it.
@Turtle373?

I think we should do a small flashback, but I'm good with either

3 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

What about things related to the city itself? One thing common to the people that live there is that they live there. They're going to have beliefs in the city that are going to do something, at least. Conflicting beliefs are still transferring energy.

Not to mention statues, which almost anyone who sees will personify. That's just something that people do.

That's a really good point! I agree, "the city" itself will be a source of common belief.

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

That's a really good point! I agree, "the city" itself will be a source of common belief.

Maybe that it will keep them safe no matter what happens? Or that as long as it stands, trade will be good and successful for everyone?

Just now, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Maybe that it will keep them safe no matter what happens? Or that as long as it stands, trade will be good and successful for everyone?

Certainly the latter- probably not the former. "The City" is generally the personification of trade/commerce, culture-mixing, and moral ambiguity at least as far as I've seen both irl and in other stories I've read. Roshek is the epicenter of trade on the western coast, but it's also dangerous, skeevy, and full of poverty like any large city. 

Yeah. If we want to start personifying "the city" then I'd say that, in true commercial fashion, you'd have to be or do something to gain aid. So, if you're clever, the city will aid you. Or, if you know what to ask for, it will help. Or, if you trade fairly with your fellows, the city will accept you. Something along those lines.