Fantasy World planning

xinoehp512

15 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Changing the future would likely be the aspect of the spirit-web that chromium changes, the destiny part.

In addition, it would be things that you could change via the spirit web. So I don't think that mind altering enchantments would work. I vetoed it earlier due to the scientific knowledge required to deliberately alter your mind. This wouldn't be similar. It would be like enchanting a cookie to minimize a persons connection to bad events in their past. Or enchanting a cookie to make a person burst into flame without hurting them self every time someone said a specific word. Just the usual enchantments that other things could have.

Saying that the cookie makes you happier was a poor choice of words. The idea would be that the cookie temporarily alters some aspect of your spiritweb to change something. This could be anything from making your fingernails as sharp as swords, making you think fast, etc.

Well I like it! Destiny cookies for all!

Actually, could a destiny-altering cookie impact the Natural magic of someone on the path to godhood? Now that would be a plot-altering kind of cookie. Gosh I love this stuff. I want sword-nails after eating a chocolate croissant. :P 

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

Actually, could a destiny-altering cookie impact the Natural magic of someone on the path to godhood? Now that would be a plot-altering kind of cookie. Gosh I love this stuff. I want sword-nails after eating a chocolate croissant. :P 

There had to be something for the DA to do in this world. :).

Wait until I figure out the combination needed for god cookies. Imagine a cookie, that once you eat it, you literally ascend until it leaves your system.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

Wait until I figure out the combination needed for god cookies. Imagine a cookie, that once you eat it, you literally ascend until it leaves your system.

Silver Wafer. Paint it silver. Silver Sliver Wafer.

Edited by Invocation

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

How would that work? Would it effectively siphon belief from some other source for a short amount of time? Altering Natural via Ritual is something that I didn't think was possible, but also I'm conflicted because this idea is reeeealllyyyyyy cooollllll.

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

How would that work? Would it effectively siphon belief from some other source for a short amount of time? Altering Natural via Ritual is something that I didn't think was possible, but also I'm conflicted because this idea is reeeealllyyyyyy cooollllll.

Sorry, I don't think that this would be natural godhood if that makes sense.

Essentaily what it would do is it would take pieces from a bunch of natural creatures, allowing a body that could hold magic, and manipulate it, a crap ton of energy, and a few other things.

Once the proper combination is put together, it effectively makes you a god, but not via the natural way. 

You would be a god in the way the Ruin is, you have a crap ton of power.

I, too, am curious how this would work. Siphoning ley line energy and pumping into someone? Siphoning from an opposite version of itself that's been force-fed to a god that already exists to steal their godhood?

Edit: oh look there's the answer. Missed it by that much.

Edited by Invocation

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

I would note that I don't have the exact traits that would need to be changed, but I imagine that I could be possible.

You would need to emulate aspects of natural creations I believe.

So per the child's imagination thing for earlier, could you do it via manipulation connection to someone (or a small group) who believes in you immensely, thus counting them for more?

2 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Sorry, I don't think that this would be natural godhood if that makes sense.

Essentaily what it would do is it would take pieces from a bunch of natural creatures, allowing a body that could hold magic, and manipulate it, a crap ton of energy, and a few other things.

Once the proper combination is put together, it effectively makes you a god, but not via the natural way. 

You would be a god in the way the Ruin is, you have a crap ton of power.

Alright well I personally love this idea because one of my potential long-term plot ideas is that someone figured out how to create "artificial" gods and this seems like the ideal way to make it happen.

Just now, Invocation said:

So per the child's imagination thing for earlier, could you do it via manipulation connection to someone (or a small group) who believes in you immensely, thus counting them for more?

I don't think so. To put it in cosmere terms, the natural magic is based around the cognitive aspect and perception. Not the spiritual aspect. To imitate the affects of the belief you would need to edit the spiritual aspect.

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

I don't think so. To put it in cosmere terms, the natural magic is based around the cognitive aspect and perception. Not the spiritual aspect. To imitate the affects of the belief you would need to edit the spiritual aspect.

Fair, fair. Just had to ask.

6 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

I don't think it would be reversible. Godhood is more of a switch; once you've achieved it, even if you lose power you're still going to be a spirit. You lose your physical form when you ascend.

What do you think would occur if there were pockets of extra-strong belief lying around?

43 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I don't think it would be reversible. Godhood is more of a switch; once you've achieved it, even if you lose power you're still going to be a spirit. You lose your physical form when you ascend.

What do you think would occur if there were pockets of extra-strong belief lying around?

How can you have pockets of belief lying around?

7 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Pockets of Natural magic, I mean. Not belief per se, but power affected by belief.

Makes sense. My guess would be that it happens in places lots of big ley lines cross, creating large amounts of investure that makes natural magic happen more easily in that location, and making local spirits/beasts/humans affected by Natural magic stronger.

9 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

How had we decided on doing enchantments? Weren't they just taking aspects of one thing and putting it somewhere else?

Personal opinion, taking aspects is the standard way, but modifying existing spiritwebs is possible too, just so dangerous and difficult no sane person would ever do it, and those that do probably won't succeed.

Just now, kenod said:

Makes sense. My guess would be that it happens in places lots of big ley lines cross, creating large amounts of investure that makes natural magic happen more easily in that location, and making local spirits/beasts/humans affected by Natural magic stronger.

Personal opinion, taking aspects is the standard way, but modifying existing spiritwebs is possible too, just so dangerous and difficult no sane person would ever do it, and those that do probably won't succeed.

What about if a ley line got interfered with somehow, and started "bunching up" on itself in a location?

21 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

What about if a ley line got interfered with somehow, and started "bunching up" on itself in a location?

That would be interesting. It would probably be really difficult to do, and might cost a lot of energy, but it will possibly cause energy to start pooling somewhere and causing weird activities. Of course, it would also mean other places 'down river' from the ley line would now be deprived of at least some of it's investure, which could have interesting consequences on the local ecosystem in said location. Also, I really wouldn't want to be within a hundred miles of such a disturbance or anywhere down-stream because of what might happen once the amount of investure grows too large, since my guesses are that the barrier either breaks and all the energy just rushes out, or the whole thing just blows up, basically having reality and physics go nope for a while until the thing has lost most of it's investure again (which would be even more annoying if this doesn't fix the block, since it'll just become cyclical).

Edit: As for what I mean with reality going nope, basically just picture every style of modern, abstract and postmodern form of art thrown into a blender and then poured out onto said region. That would give a good description of what the region is like during an Investure cascade like this.

Edited by kenod

47 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

How had we decided on doing enchantments? Weren't they just taking aspects of one thing and putting it somewhere else?

Generally they were, but extremely experienced enchanters can edit spirit webs. Thorstein, over hundreds of years, invented a way to get enchanted objects to do things when certain words are said. So he can have a horse and shrink it down, or weapons and grow them in size. 

But due to the complexity of editing spirit webs, this was the only original thing that he had done over 700 years.

In order to make things shrink, he takes the size of a smaller object and places it on a different object, then only makes that apply after he says certain words.

4 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Generally they were, but extremely experienced enchanters can edit spirit webs. Thorstein, over hundreds of years, invented a way to get enchanted objects to do things when certain words are said. So he can have a horse and shrink it down, or weapons and grow them in size. 

But due to the complexity of editing spirit webs, this was the only original thing that he had done over 700 years.

In order to make things shrink, he takes the size of a smaller object and places it on a different object, then only makes that apply after he says certain words.

In other words, a 'potion enchantment' simply takes aspects of whatever was put into it, then attaches them to the consumers spirit web for a specified time- maybe different portion colors mean different lengths of time the portion affects you?

3 minutes ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

In other words, a 'potion enchantment' simply takes aspects of whatever was put into it, then attaches them to the consumers spirit web for a specified time- maybe different portion colors mean different lengths of time the portion affects you?

If you want potions, we've got plants altered by Natural magic that'll do the trick for you, no Ritual magic required.

8 minutes ago, kenod said:

If you want potions, we've got plants altered by Natural magic that'll do the trick for you, no Ritual magic required.

Hmmm... potion making is a thing, which means there are many ways to do it. Purely Natural, purely Ritual, a blending... maybe they make different 'levels' of potion? Like tonic, solution and brew? I don't know, but I think that mixing natural magic herbs with a ritual made potion should be difficult, but far more effective. 

What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

I don't know if this should necessarily exist like this. I think it would be better if, instead, a Ritual spell was tied to it somehow. It wouldn't be written in the spiritweb: it would be written in Ritual magic.

41 minutes ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Hmmm... potion making is a thing, which means there are many ways to do it. Purely Natural, purely Ritual, a blending... maybe they make different 'levels' of potion? Like tonic, solution and brew? I don't know, but I think that mixing natural magic herbs with a ritual made potion should be difficult, but far more effective. 

What do you guys think?

I think that you could form a sort of alchemy by mixing different Natural magics and seeing what happens.

1 hour ago, kenod said:

That would be interesting. It would probably be really difficult to do, and might cost a lot of energy, but it will possibly cause energy to start pooling somewhere and causing weird activities. Of course, it would also mean other places 'down river' from the ley line would now be deprived of at least some of it's investure, which could have interesting consequences on the local ecosystem in said location. Also, I really wouldn't want to be within a hundred miles of such a disturbance or anywhere down-stream because of what might happen once the amount of investure grows too large, since my guesses are that the barrier either breaks and all the energy just rushes out, or the whole thing just blows up, basically having reality and physics go nope for a while until the thing has lost most of it's investure again (which would be even more annoying if this doesn't fix the block, since it'll just become cyclical).

Edit: As for what I mean with reality going nope, basically just picture every style of modern, abstract and postmodern form of art thrown into a blender and then poured out onto said region. That would give a good description of what the region is like during an Investure cascade like this.

Well, it's supposed to be caused by an Elder God yanking on the strings of Ritual magic. It causes Ritual magic to repel Natural. If a bunch of Ritual users were using their magic in an area, it would start exhibiting some of those weird effects, although probably not destruction.